Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bloody Pom posted:

It's even sillier than that, because the show with an episode about a pocket of two-dimensional space was The Orville :v:

Oh thats right, forgot about that. I think all the hard sf nerds just blew their load at the Trisolarians drop attack because they love their flinging things and relativistic speeds (I know i keep mentioning this but everyone who talks about hard scifi I've ever met, that is literally the only aspect they ever talk about).

Also Quinn's Ideas put up a video of the books full timeline and yea, that thing gets real silly and magic handwavy technology. But I still think the incidting incident is really dumb. I'll still watch the show when it comes out though, I'll give pretty much any sci fi thing a chance. A TV show or a movie is way less of an investment in time than a book. PLus I can do other things while watching, like most of my warhammer stuff was painting binging TV shows.

I think my biggest issue with anything labled Hard Sci Fi is they tend to be dry engineering treatments and kind of ignore that sci fi is best when its about characters living in these worlds. How does technology effect their lives? How as space travel and being able to live somewhere other than earth has effected humanity. This is a major reason I love the Expanse, it focuses heavily on that stuff. Yes of course there would be the creation of an entirely new underclass of people out of the people actually extracting the wealth from the solar system for even more detached and wealthy assholes. Real thought was put into how this society functions, that some of our problems are solved but new ones have been created and some just ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I’m gonna be real, I’m not sure how much intense thought it takes to produce “what if there were a Hispanic coded working class in space”

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
To the extent that The Expanse has a political point it’s “we should not assume going to space will change anything, just give us more room to have the same problems.” Which, well, okay. I guess so.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

twistedmentat posted:

I think my biggest issue with anything labled Hard Sci Fi is they tend to be dry engineering treatments

That's what hard SF is. You just don't like that, which is fine. I'm not the biggest fan of it either. The Expanse is not hard SF and was never trying to be, that's a label fans toss on it and the writers reject. They had gravity and spacecraft maneuvering work correctly and that gave it a veneer of plausibility that a lot of other SF just ignores.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think hard sci-fi went out the window the moment the protomolecule showed up and broke the laws of physics.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Usually even hard SF gets a couple of handwaves (often some form of FTL), which the protomolecule fits. They also do take the time to make it more like the alien tech isn't completely ignoring physics, it's just that we humans are primitive and don't have a full understanding. Like Eros can ignore inertia but it's still generating an appropriate amount of waste heat for the energy involved.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Arc Hammer posted:

I think hard sci-fi went out the window the moment the protomolecule showed up and broke the laws of physics.

The Epstein (lol) drive is pretty soft

Anyway read peter watts for a hard scifi with a soft world building nougat inside

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Also Quinn's Ideas put up a video of the books full timeline and yea, that thing gets real silly and magic handwavy technology. But I still think the incidting incident is really dumb.

His videos are super drat good and I definitely disagree with the bolded point there.

If we are talking about the same thing lol.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MarcusSA posted:

His videos are super drat good and I definitely disagree with the bolded point there.

The inciting incident is the best part, once that's out of the way its all downhill. I couldn't stand reading about the video game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The video game sections are the worst part of an already awful book. And they just keep going and going and going and going

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Grand Fromage posted:

The video game sections are the worst part of an already awful book. And they just keep going and going and going and going

This is a chaotic era

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grand Fromage posted:

That's what hard SF is. You just don't like that, which is fine. I'm not the biggest fan of it either. The Expanse is not hard SF and was never trying to be, that's a label fans toss on it and the writers reject. They had gravity and spacecraft maneuvering work correctly and that gave it a veneer of plausibility that a lot of other SF just ignores.

I've known many very snooty sci fi fans who assume because the equations for conservation of mass are correct makes it hard sci fi and that it makes it better than other sci fi that doesn't worry about getting the science correctly. These are the same kind of people who get pissed off Worldcon has people cosplaying at it. Like one of my best friends growing up was this because he's dad was a physics prof and got super upset about sci fi that wasn't perfectly correct.

Grand Fromage posted:

Usually even hard SF gets a couple of handwaves (often some form of FTL), which the protomolecule fits. They also do take the time to make it more like the alien tech isn't completely ignoring physics, it's just that we humans are primitive and don't have a full understanding. Like Eros can ignore inertia but it's still generating an appropriate amount of waste heat for the energy involved.

Yea the "magic wand drive" in the verbatim i've seen in writing guides. The above dad hated when stories would go "well, its a kind of science we haven't discovered yet" because he said "physics is physics, you can't just change them, you can't learn a new way to effect them!". I'm sure as a physics prof he had to deal with lots of first year nerds who asked him questions about FTL and anti gravity and so on.

I admit, this is all hang ups that are personal. As long as the magic science is consistent and they don't do anything blatantly against reality like, breathing in space, like The Black Hole. That really bothered me, even as a kid seeing that. The Ship has been destroyed, but the crazy scientist is floating alive in space, what?

MarcusSA posted:

I hate that the Trisolarians come to earth because some scientist is all "earth is so hosed up, having aliens invade would have to be better right?.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Why do you hate Posadism?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Grand Fromage posted:

That's just a sidestep from magic, though. Somehow, the protomolecule is both body horror Lego to build a gate and also the key to doing mind bullets. It's magic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The protomolecule is a networked self-replicating molecular assembler. Not a real technology but fairly common in SF and hardly magic. Very similar things are in your body right now making proteins. A technological version of that which can make/unmake whatever it's programmed to do is well within the realm of plausible. Other than the FTL networking.

Humans do figure out how to reprogram it pretty quick.

E: I suppose the last book gets a bit beyond handwaving now that I think about it more. :v: But other than that!

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 2, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I think my biggest issue with anything labled Hard Sci Fi is they tend to be dry engineering treatments

I agree with this, in that I think the key word here is "dry". As far as I can tell, there's nothing inherent to the definition of "hard" science fiction that means that it has to have schematic characters, dry prose, weak structure, a lack of dramatic incident, etc. but most of what I've experienced tends to many, if not all, of these things.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Seveneves is hard sci-fi, until it suddenly becomes some far future fantasy at the end.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
A Neal Stephenson book that falls the gently caress apart at the end? whaaa

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Grand Fromage posted:

The protomolecule is a networked self-replicating molecular assembler. Not a real technology but fairly common in SF and hardly magic. Very similar things are in your body right now making proteins. A technological version of that which can make/unmake whatever it's programmed to do is well within the realm of plausible. Other than the FTL networking.

Humans do figure out how to reprogram it pretty quick.

E: I suppose the last book gets a bit beyond handwaving now that I think about it more. :v: But other than that!

I don't know, Duarte literally handwaves a guy. :v:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’m nearing the end of season 3. Clarissa Mao really is a shithead

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

toggle posted:

I’m nearing the end of season 3. Clarissa Mao really is a shithead

What do you think of Ashford?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Splendid posted:

What do you think of Ashford?

Also a shithead, but a lot more charming. Such a great performance from david strathairn. Must be fun to play these belter bosses

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

tokin opposition posted:

The Epstein (lol) drive is pretty soft

Anyway read peter watts for a hard scifi with a soft world building nougat inside

The Expanse series is just an elaborate delivery mechanism for the truth that Epstein didn't kill himself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I went to buy the 5th book yesterday, and the book store had 1-4,-6-9. Seriously, what?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Orange Devil posted:

The Expanse series is just an elaborate delivery mechanism for the truth that Epstein didn't kill himself.

He kinda did.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

General Battuta posted:

To the extent that The Expanse has a political point it’s “we should not assume going to space will change anything, just give us more room to have the same problems.” Which, well, okay. I guess so.

I think you're oversimplifying what it's saying about humans and space. Its political point is about the condition of modernity and the reciprocal relationship between humans and the spaces we occupy. Think about the opening credits and how the montage shows first glaciers carving Manhattan island and then humans building upon it (and building seawalls around it) before, err, expanding out to show a similar human process extending throughout the solar system. (And there's a great Easter egg after Phobos is destroyed, reminding viewers, along with the addition of the Ring Gate and Slow Zone to the opening credits, that the process of reconfiguring space is ongoing.) Think about the Belters and especially the scene where Avasarala tortures one on Earth with just gravity. Think about the planet in season 4 and how it has two names. The point of the alien protomolecule is to accentuate and exaggerate this relationship, hence the body horror, the violation of known laws of physics, and the transformation of thousands of people, and entire asteroid, and however many cubic meters of Venus into a doorway to thousands of new worlds.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I went to buy the 5th book yesterday, and the book store had 1-4,-6-9. Seriously, what?

They knew you wanted the 5th book and were loving with you. If it makes you feel better, this is what bookstores do. I have ran into this same issue. It’s just a bookstore thing.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
This could be just a ring entity thing. They disappear things at random.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m thinking maybe I enjoyed 3BP all the way through is because I started to read it more as a history of Earth than a typical novel with developed characters. I’d read alternate universe Earth futures all day long tbf

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Yeah three body problem was more like a string of short stories. gently caress character development, gimme cool scifi :-)

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

He definitely had the drive to do so.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished reading the first book! It was so loving good, but not ready just yet to move onto the 2nd novel. Have other books in my backlog to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Stolen from the Spaceflight thread:

CPColin posted:

The Epstein Drive didn't off itself