Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

In retrospect half the movie is a Youtube vlogger talking about a day in the life of a botanist on mars

I watch a lot of really lame poo poo on YouTube so I’m there for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

MarcusSA posted:

I watch a lot of really lame poo poo on YouTube so I’m there for that.

I'd sign up for Patreon to see Epic Gardening slowly lose his mind trying to grow potatoes with his own poo poo in a simulated Mars hab

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Nick Zentner better be on the first manned Mars mission

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Laterite posted:

Nick Zentner better be on the first manned Mars mission

What did Nick do to deserve that? He's happy trying to flip the ice age flood apple cart.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Those of you who enjoyed the solar clipper books you should know the author started a new series called "SC Marva Collins" about setting up a teaching ship. It is a return to the low-stakes minutiae of the future shipping business.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve just started a rewatch for the first time since.. 2017?.. I think. Have to say, there’s some tense scenes that I had forgot about, like the Donnager escape. Thomas Jane is also terrific as well, forgot how good he is in this. I remember season 2 and 3 being pretty crazy so really looking forward to watching them again too. It really does own.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Gangringo posted:

Those of you who enjoyed the solar clipper books you should know the author started a new series called "SC Marva Collins" about setting up a teaching ship. It is a return to the low-stakes minutiae of the future shipping business.

Great, i needed a book without a solar system on the brink of war.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

General Battuta posted:

It's even slightly soft sorry

Liking it so far anyway.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Anyone know why Julie sees Miller in the flashback from Critical Mass? Is it the protomolecule doing funky poo poo or does her dying line up with them entering? If so, why would she see him holding her chain as well as the bird?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Leandros posted:

Anyone know why Julie sees Miller in the flashback from Critical Mass? Is it the protomolecule doing funky poo poo or does her dying line up with them entering? If so, why would she see him holding her chain as well as the bird?

There's no solid explanation for this. You can pick whichever one you like the most.

Personally I believe that it's simply artistic license to present events to the audience.

It being the protomolecule doesn't line up with any of the abilities we know it has.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
when miller finally meets julie, did anyone feel like the kiss on the mouth felt odd? idk, think i had a more paternal read of Millers obsession with Julie rather than a romantic one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Falukorv posted:

when miller finally meets julie, did anyone feel like the kiss on the mouth felt odd? idk, think i had a more paternal read of Millers obsession with Julie rather than a romantic one.

I've always felt it was odd, especially because it's not in the books, but my (now) wife thought it was beautiful. She didn't see it as sexual at all, just two people about to die taking physical comfort in each other. A kind of comforting intimacy.

I'm not sure I agree, but I like that read more than whatever you can take from Miller being horny for Julie in that moment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that just comes with everyone in the show being a lot younger than in the novels. Miller is probably the only one closer to his actual age from the story but he's still mid 40s hunky Thomas Jane.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I've always felt it was odd, especially because it's not in the books, but my (now) wife thought it was beautiful. She didn't see it as sexual at all, just two people about to die taking physical comfort in each other. A kind of comforting intimacy.

I'm not sure I agree, but I like that read more than whatever you can take from Miller being horny for Julie in that moment.

I might be misremembering but I remember the thread talking about that scene featuring some random nudity from the actress in that scene, which puts some points into the sex bucket.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I might be misremembering but I remember the thread talking about that scene featuring some random nudity from the actress in that scene, which puts some points into the sex bucket.

She's piloting Eros and one with the protomolecule. She died naked and is naked in that scene, however she's also a glowing alien copy of herself so there's no nipples or genital detail. I don't know. It's a scene I'm not entirely onboard with myself either.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I can’t loving wait to see how they film (spoilers for end of three body book 3) the universe becoming 2D, and the front of 2D-ness moving towards Earth

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Jakabite posted:

I can’t loving wait to see how they film (spoilers for end of three body book 3) the universe becoming 2D, and the front of 2D-ness moving towards Earth

That whole scene really encapsulates the problems with the last book. The guy tells them how to defeat this problem in the children’s story he tells the tri-solarins, they even have an artificial black whole sitting around they could use to prevent the attack. Then the story points out that this weapon that flattens everything into 2D will never stop growing, so it’s going to what consume the whole galaxy? And the reason that the whole population of the solar system is reduced to squiggles is they are too feminized to implement any of the things they are explicitly told will prevent the problem. It’s blindingly obvious this is some metaphor about the ccp being the solution to some problem but I for one stoped caring and just soldiered on to the end to see how crazy it would get. (Much stupider)

The first book is good and weird, and weirdly good. But it looks like the author got to much notoriety from that so stuck to the party line for subsequent works.

Anyway I will have curly fries and a coke.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

PriorMarcus posted:

I read the whole Miller/Julie plot line as a twist of the old 'private eye falls in love with the dead girl' trope, but it's not really horny, it's more of a courtly love. So when they meet (so to speak) on Eros, it didn't really read as sexual to me - they're both just glad they don't have to die alone.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
He's a middle aged man lusting after a 20 year old it's weird tbh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tokin opposition posted:

He's a middle aged man lusting after a 20 year old it's weird tbh

Belter life expectancy is 68-69 years so 45 year old Thomas Jane is the equivalent of a 60 year old Welwalla

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
He clearly got obsessed with her, especially trying to piece together her "gently caress YOU, RICH DAD, I'M A REBEL!!!!!!!" life that caused her to go missing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Arc Hammer posted:

Belter life expectancy is 68-69 years so 45 year old Thomas Jane is the equivalent of a 60 year old Welwalla

Pampa Caliente

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Space Zaddy

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

tokin opposition posted:

I'm glad we don't have any ingrained political requirements that make writing worse and are never addressed.

also dismissing the books (which I do think get worse as you go simply because they get too fantastical, kinda like the ender's game series) because you THINK it's trying to push chinese propaganda or an 'agenda' is silly, y'all are silly

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Just americans being weird about China

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Kaedric posted:

also dismissing the books (which I do think get worse as you go simply because they get too fantastical, kinda like the ender's game series) because you THINK it's trying to push chinese propaganda or an 'agenda' is silly, y'all are silly

I just started listening to Earth Unaware. i'm like 30% through and someone told me it's a prequel for Ender's and I forgot Card wrote that. I've never read it, but now i don't know if i should be bummed out or not.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

everydayfalls posted:

That whole scene really encapsulates the problems with the last book. The guy tells them how to defeat this problem in the children’s story he tells the tri-solarins, they even have an artificial black whole sitting around they could use to prevent the attack. Then the story points out that this weapon that flattens everything into 2D will never stop growing, so it’s going to what consume the whole galaxy? And the reason that the whole population of the solar system is reduced to squiggles is they are too feminized to implement any of the things they are explicitly told will prevent the problem. It’s blindingly obvious this is some metaphor about the ccp being the solution to some problem but I for one stoped caring and just soldiered on to the end to see how crazy it would get. (Much stupider)

The first book is good and weird, and weirdly good. But it looks like the author got to much notoriety from that so stuck to the party line for subsequent works.

Anyway I will have curly fries and a coke.

Maybe I’m just stupid but I dont remember any of this, or interpreting it that way. I think they could get a few people away into a pocket dimension (Luo Ji’s wife if I remember right), but there was no implication the weapon could be stopped or earth could be saved. And yeah, the point is that everyone used to live in the eleventh dimension and over the aeons we’ve been reduced to 3 dimensions by the most advanced weaponry that comes to exist in each dimension - namely one which flattens a dimension down to the next one.

I’d also appreciate if people would stop being so burger brained about foreign media itt

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jakabite posted:

Maybe I’m just stupid but I dont remember any of this, or interpreting it that way. I think they could get a few people away into a pocket dimension (Luo Ji’s wife if I remember right), but there was no implication the weapon could be stopped or earth could be saved. And yeah, the point is that everyone used to live in the eleventh dimension and over the aeons we’ve been reduced to 3 dimensions by the most advanced weaponry that comes to exist in each dimension - namely one which flattens a dimension down to the next one.

I’d also appreciate if people would stop being so burger brained about foreign media itt

I dropped it 3/4 the way through the first book, i didn't like the writing and i think it's overrated. But i think the same about plenty of burger brained author's books too.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Jakabite posted:

you are confusing the end of the book with the part where earth(and the rest of the solar system) is destroyed. You got the just of that section of the book though about the dimensions being flattened.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jakabite posted:

For a book that's touted as tons of hard sci fi, that is incredibly silly and sounds like something from like, Stargate.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

For a book that's touted as tons of hard sci fi, that is incredibly silly and sounds like something from like, Stargate.

The entire trilogy is like that. It's 90% absolute dogshit, it's just that the 10% that isn't is loving great.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

The entire trilogy is like that. It's 90% absolute dogshit, it's just that the 10% that isn't is loving great.

This average is significantly weighted to the first book. Read that one ignore the rest.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah it smacks of 'that popular thing you like is dumb' which I don't love , but this is right. I think the first book is worth reading for some cool ideas, but if the style annoys you it's not getting better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I liked book 2, the wallfacers/wallbreakers were fun.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They're piles of neat ideas that are brutalized into three entire novels. The huge time skips help explain away some things but these gaps aren't necessarily handled well themselves. I think the stories might come across better if it were overtly some kind of anthology or series of vignettes even if you kept all the recurring characters.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

It's even sillier than that, because the show with an episode about a pocket of two-dimensional space was The Orville :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Imagine having a pocket of extraspatial bubble that your entire 9 book series was about :o:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Gangringo posted:

It is a return to the low-stakes minutiae of the future shipping business.

I'm half way through the book They've spent almost the entire time back and forthing about which crew to pick, repeated the same conversation for like 3 hours of audio

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

General Battuta posted:

Imagine having a pocket of extraspatial bubble that your entire 9 book series was about :o:

yeah and handwaving important, plot relevant details, it'd be like having magic super-efficient fusion reactors that effectively run on nothing or wormholes introduced out of nowhere with some handwavy deus ex machina

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm half way through the book They've spent almost the entire time back and forthing about which crew to pick, repeated the same conversation for like 3 hours of audio

I'm still working my way thru the solar clipper books, and while they're excellent nothing-books (like eating popcorn that's also cotton candy) the sheer self-insert wankery over how cool and great and how all the women want to gently caress the main character who's so smart and has a big dick is probably the biggest detriment to the series. i just want him to find a woman who doesn't inexplicably want to gently caress him within three pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

tokin opposition posted:

yeah and handwaving important, plot relevant details, it'd be like having magic super-efficient fusion reactors that effectively run on nothing or wormholes introduced out of nowhere with some handwavy deus ex machina

I'm still working my way thru the solar clipper books, and while they're excellent nothing-books (like eating popcorn that's also cotton candy) the sheer self-insert wankery over how cool and great and how all the women want to gently caress the main character who's so smart and has a big dick is probably the biggest detriment to the series. i just want him to find a woman who doesn't inexplicably want to gently caress him within three pages

I think that tapers off, it's been a while since i read them. But they are very much popcorn books. It's doesn't help that Jefferey Kafer is the personality of a rock melon on the audiobooks.