Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Power flows from the people, from the bottom to the top. The upper classes are able to direct the country as they like only because they bribed the people into apathy by temporarily sharing a larger portion of capitalism's spoils, and then taking advantage of that inattentiveness to ruthlessly smash every last piece of social interaction, community togetherness, and non-corporate organizing in the country.

Ultimately, there's way too much focus on electoralism and not enough focus on having a movement. Not just a political movement, but a human movement. Support organizations dedicated to helping people around us, regardless of race and religion and gender identification and sexual orientation. It's not about charismatic leaders or protest methods or anything else. It's about getting ordinary people to focus on helping and supporting each other, building an intersectional and cross-demographic community movement that recognizes that no matter who we are, almost all of us are in the same boat as workers and consumers being squeezed dry by capitalism. Solidarity is the key aspect from which all other leftist politics flow, so objectives and methods will come together pretty naturally after a while.

The only important catch is that it'll have to be ready to resist when the upper classes start showing up to try to co-opt it. Corporate representatives will turn up offering big bribes for the community aid funds, and high-flying lawyers and investment bankers will show up and start talking about how much more efficiently they could administer the community's shared resources if we put them in charge. Those are the carrots the upper classes offer to neuter and destroy community organizations, labor groups, and advocacy centers. And once the community solidarity has been disrupted due to large parts of it being bought up with those carrots, that leaves plenty of openings and weaknesses for the sticks to come in and beat the utter poo poo out of whoever's left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

The threat of consequences needs to be there for left wing ideas to be taken seriously. Nobody gets anyone to give up something valuable without leverage, so the first thing the left needs to do while rebuilding is to acquire some.

Specifically, it needs to be able to credibly threaten pain to the people in charge. That means having people who are dedicated enough to do unpleasant things, like manning a picket line when you’re low on money. That’s your core, and it doesn’t really exist at scale right now.

This is why community solidarity is so important. Historically, leftist agitation doesn't rise by people getting so mad that they decide they don't need to eat anymore. It rises by communities sharing their resources and building up reserves that can be used to support the people taking action, creating support structures that can help blunt the economic impact of being temporarily cut off by capital.

UnknownTarget posted:

Another item that I thought of is that people could Kickstart candidate's campaigns globally; opening up crowdfunding from anyone who uses the site. This way, the agenda can be furthered no matter the country.

*Conservation of all life, equality before the law, accountability for one's actions. IMO.

I've done a lot of thinking and I want to share a concept I've been cooking for awhile. I've talked to a lot of friends and gotten a lot of feedback but this is still very WIP. Some of this is even just coming up as I wrote it. What do you guys think? Personally, I think it's the best chance for direct action, because it focuses on the core wins: getting progressives into power.

Aside from being wildly utopian and having no real incentive for anyone at all to participate, your idea would also blatantly violate campaign finance laws in a number of countries.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

So do you think that building up that nerve is just a thing people don't do, or do you think it looks different when they do it? And, in the latter case, what do you think it looks like?

Just in case anyone isn't clear on this, anyone who looks like they're building up the nerve to personally engage in open violent rebellion is probably getting banned. This is a comedy shitposting forum, not a terrorism incubator. Please don't say anything that might excite the nice, friendly FBI agents reading this site.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

UnknownTarget posted:

I listed the incentives, please refute them. As for the finance laws, you're right, take it out or only accept donations from local communities.

The incentives you list are circular: politicians use the site because there's tons of voters reading it, and voters read the site because there's tons of politicians on it. There's no reason for one group to start using the site until the other group is already using the site in droves. Until that happens, you just have a half-assed social media site with no users and political words on the buttons. It seems like you think politicians will be the ones to take the first step for the sake of "exposure", but Twitter gets them a gajillion times more exposure than PoliticsBook ever will.