Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm really starting to appreciate the "Violent Revolution" option more and more as time goes on. i don't think we need a lot of violence. just a health insurance exec here, a billionaire hedge fund owner there, really put the fear of god into some people.

I'm sorry, we're not allowed to talk about progressive solutions that would actually be effective on this forum. Please return to crowing about the charismatic hope monger charlatan-of-the-month or moaning about how unfair it is that regressives get to rig the :decorum: games so nakedly and aggressively.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I also don't think the amplification effect social media has should be downplayed. Put aside the obvious political advertising corruption poo poo for a moment, and remember that there are tons of regressive assholes out there. Nobody paid your racist aunts and uncles to form impromptu PACs to radicalize each other and your more moderate conservative-leaning family members, but that's exactly what Facebook and Twitter have done. They always had lovely opinions in isolation, but social media gave them both a megaphone and a sense of community to reinforce and embolden those rancid ideas.

You could wave a wand and magically remove the political money from social media, even the Russian bots while you're at it, but the Minion memes would continue to flow nonetheless.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I was under the impression extinction rebellion were #resistance-esque managed opposition shitheads.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Managed opposition is the methodology. Specifically, to act as a harmless relief valve for popular resentment that can't simply be channeled into racism. The whole point is to waste pissed off progressives' time, money, and enthusiasm on an ineffective-by-design boondoggle.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Worth remembering that horrible as WWII was, the facists didn't have nuclear ICBMs the first time around, and the world wasn't under the slow-release Armageddon poison capsule of climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beefeater1980 posted:

The threat of consequences needs to be there for left wing ideas to be taken seriously. Nobody gets anyone to give up something valuable without leverage, so the first thing the left needs to do while rebuilding is to acquire some.

Specifically, it needs to be able to credibly threaten pain to the people in charge. That means having people who are dedicated enough to do unpleasant things, like manning a picket line when you’re low on money. That’s your core, and it doesn’t really exist at scale right now.

The key here, as stated earlier, is that "the people in charge" means not just the million/billionaire elite, but also their comfortable middle class sycophants. They need to be made to understand that if they don't start voluntarily making sacrifices to help the underclasses, then they will be forced to endure much worse at the hands of the hungry and diseased mob they tried to ignore and quietly genocide when times were "good".