Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://twitter.com/BeAMagicLegend/status/1205327787931971587

Where to sign up: https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en

I think we all agree this is going to suck, but hey it's a free preview beta test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game was first announced in like 2015. I thought at this point it was vaporware. Its being developed though by the same people that made Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter, so I am actually pretty excited for this.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Not vaporware, I actually applied for a position on this a few months back. Though during my first interview with them they basically told me they hired someone for the position the day before. That was awkward. On a semi-relevant note, from the research I did into the internals of the company at the time, things were... Concerning. It feels like Cryptic is suffering pretty heavily from the: all management positions are being held by middle-aged/old white guys that are allergic to new ideas or technologies. As cool as an MTG MMO in my mind is. I suspect that this will just be basically another generic tab target (or pseudo-tab target like Neverwinter) MMO with an MTG coat of paint and bunch of easter egg references to MTG, with it's only unique feature being the specific character building method which determines what appears on your hotbar. Though given that's basically what every single game they've ever made I get that this isn't a very brave prediction.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A friend got snotty with me for impugning the name of Cryptic a few minutes ago. Dude, I can't help that you're a broke-brain who actually paid for a lifetime sub to STO.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bieeanshee posted:

A friend got snotty with me for impugning the name of Cryptic a few minutes ago. Dude, I can't help that you're a broke-brain who actually paid for a lifetime sub to STO.

you sure showed them

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

this game is going to be complete and utter garbage.

i can't wait to preorder it!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

you sure showed them

you sure showed me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's precisely zero chance this will be good but I hope it will be because MtG has some cool settings.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

tbqh I'm mostly interested in what hosed up thing Cryptic will do with the character build system, because Cryptic always does something weird there. the game, I expect, will play just fine, Neverwinter is a perfectly servicable action MMO in a way that Star Trek and Champions were not

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm looking forward to see the number of currencies they come up with.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Neverwinter is pure p2w bullshit garbage cancer reminiscent of everything that is wrong with video games in 2019. This will be the same, sadly. Press F to pay respects, etc.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really want to know more about this.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey at least it’s not some anime setting, I’ll sign up.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Cryptic? The first thing to try is to put up something in the auction house for a negative amount of money.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

soy posted:

Hey at least it’s not some anime setting, I’ll sign up.

first plane: kamigawa

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I think the first area is likely going to be Dominaria then Ravnica as an expansion then post-Nahiri Innistrad. We'll get small missions (like in all Cryptic games) that show bits and pieces of other planes. I'd kill for a setting in Alara, Lorwyn and Kamigawa. But we'd likely get Zendikar before those.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 24, 2019

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

classes info when

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In an era where the MMO market been slowly imploding for years I can't think of anything better than releasing a new MMO.

It's going to make the money back one way or another. Imagine all the wonderful delights the latest & greatest Perfect World cash shop will have and how every aspect of the product will guide you there.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
gently caress yeah, signed up. Can't wait for another Cryptic hellscape.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I suppose it's fitting that when everyone else has failed and the genre is all but dead to new releases, Cryptic trucks along.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lol holy poo poo it's not an mmo at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLqYT9CSYZA

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

loving incredible

lets pour one out for those expecting a regular MMO with expansions where you visited cool planes like Ravnica and Innistrad and actually explore these lands yourself

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I signed up hoping for a Yawgmoth raid.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I mean, if Lineage was an MMO, so could this be, the overhead-view action gameplay doesn't preclude it - but I kind of expect they won't bother with anything but a diablolike with a linear series of instanced missions. idk, maybe character builds will be interesting

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean I don't know what people were expecting, them calling it an MMO or not. The game doesn't translate in any meaningful way into an action setting. Or rather, we already had that and uh, yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCHjUipQN3w&t=94s

That said, since this is one of the few viable options, it does seem horrendously missing the whole MTG side of things to make each class a mono color.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
People expected an MMO in the MTG setting, since they called this an MMO in the MTG setting.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Larry David voice:

It's online, it's multiplayer, it's bigger than frogger, what do you people want?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The footage looks like poe style gameplay, I don't really see why that wouldn't fit an mmo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Help, I'm stuck in Maze of Ith and can't find the exit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to cast Magic Missile.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

So it's Diablo III but your only class option is the Wizard.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"You can't judge it so harshly, Jerry, it's pre-alpha, it says so right in the corner"

"Don't 'pre-alpha' me, I know feature complete when I see it. Besides, 'pre-alpha' isn't even a real thing."

"Is so."

"Is not."

"Is so."

"Kramer, is pre-alpha a real thing?"

"Oh, it's real Jerry, and these spaceships are going up, up, up!"

Ise
Nov 7, 2019

ItBreathes posted:

Larry David voice:

It's online, it's multiplayer, it's bigger than frogger, what do you people want?

Can I play it on my phone?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
neat ty

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

I was going to make a joke about MTG being a dime store diablo clone but that isn't quite it.

Instead it looks like PWE knocked off their own Battle of the Immortals game from 2010.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HV2WG8ifpk

Played a bit of that when it was still vaguely new. Utterly forgettable and instanced out the wazoo, if anyone was wondering. Set your expectations to shoelace level.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
This looks terrible!

Can't wait.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I think I'm not alone in remarking on the terrible irony of the trailer (which is awesome) including the lyrics "I wont' let you down." It's as if *they knew.*

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I played this today at PAX East and it was fun and is in basically no way going to be an mmo. They’re leaning hard into the action RPG direction. It’s D3 “oops all wizards” edition with a neat card-based skill mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

welp, no big surprises there. I wonder if it's made out of the same engine...