Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

FDGF_UK posted:

Can I play it on my phone?

I honestly bet this is a phone game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

welp, no big surprises there. I wonder if it's made out of the same engine...

Cryptic? Develop a new engine? Never!

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Anyone gotten into the beta yet?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Oh they're still actually making this? I suppose I can laugh at this for a bit because Wastelanders update was pushed back.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

I just got an Alpha invite for July 23-Aug 3

Is this real or a phishing scam?

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Majin posted:

I just got an Alpha invite for July 23-Aug 3

Is this real or a phishing scam?

I got one as well, i assume its legit?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got into the alpha as well. Can download at 10am pacific time today.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can't even play this, the launcher is broken.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
hey someone send me a code they dont want thanks

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
Got in after a few crashes and I have to say I like the art style and the animations were great. Also, I love being able to rotate the camera around and hope that is standard in arpgs going forward. What I don't like is the randomness to the skills which I guess is just how Magic the gathering is, I find myself just spamming stuff with no care to get to the cards I want.

Also I'm very nervous about the microtransactions in this game. I can see them easily putting the good skills/cards behind a huge paywall.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's okay so far, but doesn't really do anything to capture the spirit, and look of Magic the Gathering. The world of Magic is so imaginative, but instead in Legends we get generic medieval landscape and town that is similar to Diablo III, and our enemies are undead. Extremely boring and overdone. What I do like is that your character picks a base color, but in the final version you will be able to craft your own decks and have multiple colors. I like that you collect cards and and while in combat you have 4 you can use, and then they rotate through your equipped deck. This is a really cool idea that actually does capture the spirit of Magic the Gathering.

If they want to win me over and support this game into release, capture the world of Magic. More areas that represent the places you saw on the cards. Bring the cards to life by having all of the scenarios and stories that the artwork told. Right now Legends does none of that, its so boring and ends up just being a very generic ARPG except for the deck building mechanic.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So a Cryptic game then.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I went to check to see if I was invited to the closed alpha and apparently they tried to invite me to an earlier closed alpha in June and I missed it and my code's now invalid. kind of lovely tbqh

strongly expecting them to lock the deckbuilding behind some kind of idiotic paywall though, looking forward to that

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Does it still run on the same janky engine they use for their entire portfolio?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

Does it still run on the same janky engine they use for their entire portfolio?

Not sure, but it feels like it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's basically just an updated/reskinned War Of The Immortals. Agree it's likely the same engine and everything. I'm not exaggerating with my reskin comment.

I fully admit I didn't give it a fair shake. "Oh no not this again" -> uninstall.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 25, 2020

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
It's a Diablo knock off but you can move the camera (and you have to since sometimes you can't see enemies behind buildings).

You have 4 active abilities at one time, but they are random. A random set of 4 abilities that cycle out of a pool of 12 as you use them. That's a super dumb idea for an ARPG, in my opinion.

I said come in! posted:

I like that you collect cards and and while in combat you have 4 you can use, and then they rotate through your equipped deck. This is a really cool idea that actually does capture the spirit of Magic the Gathering.

I can see how some people might like it, but combined with the rest of the way the game plays, I think it's going to feel like a chore to have to keep looking down at your bar to see what ability is on what button. As opposed to always knowing that 1 will cast fireball or whatever.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 25, 2020

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So are Diablo clones the way of the future now or what

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's Diablo with a worse plot and a random moment to moment ability gameplay due to trying to have a deck of cards. Everything I've ready about it says they haven't tried to embrace the really weird poo poo in the Magic setting.

I like the idea of trying implement the randomness of you hand into the gameplay, dunno if I can trust Cryptic to pull it off.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i agree that it'd be cool to have a real ravnica rpg with deck-based abilities but i also know that's not what this will be

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Azubah posted:

It's Diablo with a worse plot and a random moment to moment ability gameplay due to trying to have a deck of cards. Everything I've ready about it says they haven't tried to embrace the really weird poo poo in the Magic setting.

I like the idea of trying implement the randomness of you hand into the gameplay, dunno if I can trust Cryptic to pull it off.

neither has WotC lol

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I don't think I would mind the random abilities in random orders so much if the art wasn't so bland and indistinguishable from card to card. They could at least put like a border on the cards indicating if they CC or damage and put some sort of range/pattern indicator on them.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Lorem ipsum posted:

I don't think I would mind the random abilities in random orders so much if the art wasn't so bland and indistinguishable from card to card. They could at least put like a border on the cards indicating if they CC or damage and put some sort of range/pattern indicator on them.

The issue I see is that when you're playing actual MTG, you pretty much know what a card does from the name (at least for me when I played). So I know that Launch the Fleet gets me tokens when I target a creature and it attacks. However with this game, it's only the card art and cost that shows on the ability bar. Eventually I might learn what art is which, but I'd still have to actually look down at the ability bar to see which ability is on which button. This is awful compared to always knowing that Ability A will go off when I press 1 or whatever.

I guess you could build a deck and memorize the art for each ability but you're still getting them put on random spots on your bar and I just think that's loving dumb.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lorem ipsum posted:

you mean like City of Heroes did?

it does seem like a broadly unsolvable problem with this design

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

Never really played CoH. Thinking about it a bit more, I think no matter what they do it is still going to feel gimmicky and awkward because, well, it is a gimmick.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

Never really played CoH. Thinking about it a bit more, I think no matter what they do it is still going to feel gimmicky and awkward because, well, it is a gimmick.

If the mechanic was: "You draw a land from your deck every .5 seconds and receive that colour mana. You may then do a magicka-eqsue key combo to spend that mana do a MTG spell" I think I might be more into this game.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Imagine getting access to the MtG license and not the library of amazing visuals that come with it. Imagine making an MtG game with no mechanical tie-ins to the source material. Imagine getting a license to use all the deeply detailed lore of a massively expansive fantasy multi-verse spanning over 26 years... And doing gently caress all with it. It somehow managed to come out even shittier than my original prediction in December. It's like I set the Limbo bar above their head, and instead of just walking forward, Cryptic did a front-flip that somehow ended with them faceplanting into ground and getting the bar lodged in their rear end in a top hat.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

LordSaturn posted:

I mean. You could have a talented art department that brings in a solid yet cohesive art style with well thought UI/UX decisions to solve the exact problem this kind of design approach generates by going back to the basics of what makes for good UI/UX rather than blindly copying established genre norms with no regard to the similarities and differences of the problems they were originally intended to solve compared to your. But given the fact that literally the most important critical piece of user input and gameplay has basically the same 5% of screen-space dedicated to it that a regular hotbar in a regular MMO would. I somehow don't think this was the case.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

SweetBro posted:

Imagine getting access to the MtG license and not the library of amazing visuals that come with it. Imagine making an MtG game with no mechanical tie-ins to the source material. Imagine getting a license to use all the deeply detailed lore of a massively expansive fantasy multi-verse spanning over 26 years... And doing gently caress all with it. It somehow managed to come out even shittier than my original prediction in December. It's like I set the Limbo bar above their head, and instead of just walking forward, Cryptic did a front-flip that somehow ended with them faceplanting into ground and getting the bar lodged in their rear end in a top hat.

Don't worry, I have some ideas for their next title:

The Sims: One big happy Eldrazi family
Chandra's Day Off
Overcooked: Goblins!
Slivers TD
Clash of Guilds
Plains Run
Flappy Nicol Bolas

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

sounds like another wave of beta invites is going out. I'd sure like to actually try it this time...

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

LordSaturn posted:

sounds like another wave of beta invites is going out. I'd sure like to actually try it this time...
I got in. But I'm evidently not supposed to talk about it or screenshot it or anything. because this is a super serious confidential alpha test. Of course, I only signed up to hate-play whatever new abomination cryptic has been working on lately.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

g0del posted:

I got in. But I'm evidently not supposed to talk about it or screenshot it or anything. because this is a super serious confidential alpha test. Of course, I only signed up to hate-play whatever new abomination cryptic has been working on lately.

gently caress that, check my post further up on this page.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

gently caress that, check my post further up on this page.
Oh, I'm going to ignore their warning. But it doesn't even start until the 29th, so I won't be able to post anything about it until then.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Does the nexus place still have a bullshit F2P timer for upgrades?

Have they implemented vendors yet?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

g0del posted:

I'm also in, can't wait to see lol

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Verbose posted:

I'm also in, can't wait to see lol
I played for a little bit, and stopped. I might check it out more later. It's currently frame-locked to 30 fps, and they've had to disable chat because spamming chat would make people's framerates drop to 2-3 fps. In other words, it's using cryptic's typical game engine, but somehow buggier.

So far it's been mostly just boring. I know beginner tutorial levels often are, but there's nothing to hook me so far. Graphics are generic, and stuttery when there's no good excuse for it. Gameplay is generic ARPG except your hotkeys change randomly. In other words, they took generic ARPG gameplay and found a way to make it worse.

Some of the spells are designed to combo, but I couldn't tell any difference between actively trying to get combos and just randomly spamming my spell keys. Combos require 1) getting the correct spells to show up in the first place, and 2) paying attention to your spell icons* to see what keys you have to press in which order instead of paying attention to the fight. For all that extra work, they should really be big and flashy and effective to make it worth it.

Like I said, I'll try to push forward more later, in hopes that things get better as I get farther in. But so far, I haven't seen anything that makes me want to play this instead of any of the many finished ARPGs currently available on steam. And those games won't have the P2W and FOMO that cryptic loves to fill their games with.

* you memorized all of these similar pictures, right?

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
I got a key, but have zero interest. If anybody would like- first come first serve:

H6QZGUTRPE6G4HT2QX7PMM72

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

wouldn't take it when I tried just now. did someone else get it?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Did they change the game at all from the previous badness? And is this more like diablo or an actual mmorpg ? Just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Imagine Diablo, but made by interns.