Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
It’s Diablo but you’re never sure what your abilities will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Kaysette posted:

It’s Diablo but you’re never sure what your abilities will do.

Well you at least know they won't do much

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had really hoped this would just be Neverwinter with much better graphics, instead it's..... whatever the gently caress it is right now in alpha. It's a mess and doesn't work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know when I play ARPGs I really want my skill toolbar to randomize constantly, it's a mechanic I've always thought was missing

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's even a way to do that while making a mechanically sound ARPG and tapping the wellspring of rad art that MtG has had over the years. Have abilities be mechanically stable but have their visual effects and maybe some additional effect be randomized. If you're casting the Black PBAoE Stun, have it summon like one of a trillion vampire solider cards that does a big flashy AOE move or throw a bunch of coffins at everyone in range because Entomb. If you're casting the White Group Heal have it do some shattering stained glass window like some of those cards from a couple sets ago or be lazy and summon an angel. There's a ridiculous pool of potential and it's all just wasted cause that would take effort and effort is anathema to Cryptic.

God you could even sell like "Eldrazi White VFX" microtransactions and I'd buy them (if the game wasn't poo poo!)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did this game come out yet

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Open beta in March iirc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hopefully lots of gameplay changes from the alpha. Otherwise this game will be dead on arrival.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

I said come in! posted:

Hopefully lots of gameplay changes from the alpha. Otherwise this game will be dead on arrival.

haven't really paid much attention until the trailer yesterday, it looks like it could be interesting. Not sure how I feel about random abilities on my hotkeys though...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mjolnerd posted:

haven't really paid much attention until the trailer yesterday, it looks like it could be interesting. Not sure how I feel about random abilities on my hotkeys though...

Yeah if that is still a thing, then this game won't last long.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Muscle memory is overrated anyway.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

https://www.ign.com/videos/magic-legends-official-deckbuilding-101-trailer

looks like we're heading to open beta in march with the randomized spell system unchanged

they make it look slow-paced enough to where you'd have time to check your hand between casts but I don't really trust cryptic to make a slow pace actually work

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess you could just make a redundant setup of four spells, four spells that do the same thing and then four more but why bother? Womp womp.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

It's funny because this genuinely looks like it could be a fun and solid ARPG if it didn't have that random ability system.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Orv posted:

I guess you could just make a redundant setup of four spells, four spells that do the same thing and then four more but why bother? Womp womp.

you mean kinda like how you make a regular magic deck?

Ise
Nov 7, 2019

A Moose posted:

MMO needs a highlander mode tbh, you spend the first 5 minutes of a level getting smashed to pieces while you throw out mana rocks and then you cast the big thing wins the level next turn.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I feel like if they wanted to have a real card game feel, they should have just made this game turn based. I think thats a bad idea though and they should have just ripped off a good arpg and stuck MTG lore in it.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Lorem ipsum posted:

I feel like if they wanted to have a real card game feel, they should have just made this game turn based. I think thats a bad idea though and they should have just ripped off a good arpg and stuck MTG lore in it.

a million times this...

Such a rich roster of characters, locations, spells and monsters. We get it, the original IP is based on cards, who cares. Reminds me of Ang Lee's Hulk movie scene transitions, LOOK ITS LIKE PAGES OF A COMIC BOOK BECAUSE IT'S BASED ON A COMIC BOOK, GET IT?!?!?!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Mjolnerd posted:

a million times this...

Such a rich roster of characters, locations, spells and monsters. We get it, the original IP is based on cards, who cares. Reminds me of Ang Lee's Hulk movie scene transitions, LOOK ITS LIKE PAGES OF A COMIC BOOK BECAUSE IT'S BASED ON A COMIC BOOK, GET IT?!?!?!

Imagine making a RPG based on MTG lore and not letting me play as Chandra or Jace

or gently caress it let me play as a loving eldrazi and crush mans and turn all the planes into a lovecraftian nightmare.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Lorem ipsum posted:

Imagine making a RPG based on MTG lore and not letting me play as Chandra or Jace

or gently caress it let me play as a loving eldrazi and crush mans and turn all the planes into a lovecraftian nightmare.

And every time you die and have to repeat a level it's actually Teferi behind it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Moose posted:

Yes but that sort of defeats the point of an ARPG having a bunch of cool poo poo you can do any time you want.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

reasonably, a game like diablo requires you to react quickly to ongoing situations, applying the correct skill to the correct enemy as circumstances shift. having to manually read your hotbar to cast the thing you want, rather than relying on muscle memory to fire it off, requires a general slowing-down of the game, but I find it hard to believe that Cryptic has actually balanced this to where there's time to think about what spells you have up before casting

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

LordSaturn posted:

reasonably, a game like diablo requires you to react quickly to ongoing situations, applying the correct skill to the correct enemy as circumstances shift. having to manually read your hotbar to cast the thing you want, rather than relying on muscle memory to fire it off, requires a general slowing-down of the game, but I find it hard to believe that Cryptic has actually balanced this to where there's time to think about what spells you have up before casting
Cryptic completely gave up on balance in Star Trek Online, to the point that currently average players struggle to break 100k DPS while the current record is over a million DPS (and clueless players won't even hit 10k). They've been dealing with it by filling their missions with waves of respawning enemies with a hidden timer. In other words, it doesn't matter how well you play, you're going to sit in one spot and kill stuff until the game decides you've been there long enough and lets you move on. I would be very surprised if they're not using the same design in their magic game.

Oh, and they love to put the best gear in gamble boxes with very low odds.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cryptics entire end game design, and this applies to Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter, is to have massive endless grinding to upgrade your gear to be best in slot, or faction rep grinding to purchase the best gear. Neverwinter is really bad about this, and Star Trek will let you spend $80 for each piece of gear.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I said come in! posted:

Cryptics entire end game design, and this applies to Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter, is to have massive endless grinding to upgrade your gear to be best in slot, or faction rep grinding to purchase the best gear. Neverwinter is really bad about this, and Star Trek will let you spend $80 for each piece of gear.

Is gear space ship upgrades in ST:O? Having unique uniforms doesn't sound very Star Trekky to me. But then again, isn't that game about murdering rows upon rows of faceless mooks on away missions?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Is gear space ship upgrades in ST:O? Having unique uniforms doesn't sound very Star Trekky to me. But then again, isn't that game about murdering rows upon rows of faceless mooks on away missions?

Equipment in STO is broken up into 15 tiers. You can upgrade a tier 1 piece into a tier 15 and have it be best in slot, but it requires an obscene amount of grinding, or paying $80 for that one single piece. You can also upgrade your ship itself to be a legendary T6, and this typically requires paying real money to do. There is quite a bit a of pay to win in that game. So it should give you a good idea of what to expect here.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

Gear in STO is ships. And ship traits. And personal traits. And bridge officers, and their abilities, and the actual ship gear, and ground gear. Lots of these can be either bought directly in the money store, or the come from gambleboxes. A brand new player who started the game today and decided to wallet their way to a top build could easily spend thousands of dollars doing that. Of course, being patient and doing dailies would reduce the cost for a lot of the items, and settling for a good build instead of the highest possible DPS build would also save a lot.

They also sell uniforms, and let players mix and match. Pretty much everyone in the game is in a unique uniform.

They love to put high end gear and cosmetic options in gambleboxes with very low win rates. They love to give the option to pay to skip grind. Lately in STO they've been doing lots of 'events', which usually means logging in daily and doing some mindless mission for 10-15 minutes. After doing that for a 10 days or whatever, you unlock the reward. Or you can pay to skip the grind (they charge roughly $3 per day you skip). And if you don't do the event, you often can't get the reward later, since they've been using FOMO tactics a lot.

With all that said, it is entirely possible to start the game for free, play for a moderate amount of time daily, and have an end-game viable build in probably a few weeks/months. All the expensive stuff is mostly for playing space barbie or e-peen, none of it's really necessary to experience the game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I said come in! posted:

Equipment in STO is broken up into 15 tiers. You can upgrade a tier 1 piece into a tier 15 and have it be best in slot, but it requires an obscene amount of grinding, or paying $80 for that one single piece. You can also upgrade your ship itself to be a legendary T6, and this typically requires paying real money to do. There is quite a bit a of pay to win in that game. So it should give you a good idea of what to expect here.

As they're wont to do.

g0del posted:

Gear in STO is ships. And ship traits. And personal traits. And bridge officers, and their abilities, and the actual ship gear, and ground gear. Lots of these can be either bought directly in the money store, or the come from gambleboxes. A brand new player who started the game today and decided to wallet their way to a top build could easily spend thousands of dollars doing that. Of course, being patient and doing dailies would reduce the cost for a lot of the items, and settling for a good build instead of the highest possible DPS build would also save a lot.

They also sell uniforms, and let players mix and match. Pretty much everyone in the game is in a unique uniform.

They love to put high end gear and cosmetic options in gambleboxes with very low win rates. They love to give the option to pay to skip grind. Lately in STO they've been doing lots of 'events', which usually means logging in daily and doing some mindless mission for 10-15 minutes. After doing that for a 10 days or whatever, you unlock the reward. Or you can pay to skip the grind (they charge roughly $3 per day you skip). And if you don't do the event, you often can't get the reward later, since they've been using FOMO tactics a lot.

With all that said, it is entirely possible to start the game for free, play for a moderate amount of time daily, and have an end-game viable build in probably a few weeks/months. All the expensive stuff is mostly for playing space barbie or e-peen, none of it's really necessary to experience the game.

Oh right, you don't have a full crew of players on your ship, I forgot. Really feels like that game could've been so much more, but I always presume more out of a Star Trek product, even the (good) series. :v:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

g0del posted:

unique uniform.

I always like this bit

g0del posted:

I think what we're expecting here is that cash purchases will allow you to completely exit the difficulty model of the main story questline, whatever that amounts to

also Cryptic still won't let me touch the loving game, but will absolutely send me e-mail advertising fancy skins and so forth that I'm allowed to preorder, so you can expect this to feature primarily in what's to come

Cryptic didn't used to be like this, but I think working as a Perfect World subsidiary has made them this way. beats being ground to dust as an Atari subsidiary, anyway

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The one thing STO has going for it, and why its still so extremely popular, is that it's a Trekkies dream come true Star Trek video game. Every single race, and ship, from the TV shows are represented here. Its been going strong for 11 years because Cryptic is really good at tapping into that Star Trek nostalgia. Still hoping that someday we will get the Borg as a playable faction.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
They are doing a livestream now and the dev interrupted the CM to talk about the deck draw system of combat, how it works, like you can tell he wanted to draw attention to it for the viewers. Afterward the CM was just like “ok and you can see I’m playing on mouse and keyboard” so I feel like most of their team doesn’t even recognize it as a potential issue.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

here's the VOD: https://twitch.tv/videos/910064053

in spite of myself this seems pretty fun. probably pretty lootboxy tho

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

Neverwinter & STO comparison time again; those two games drop lootboxes constantly, and you can even get a stack of 20 for free, but the caveat is that you have to buy unlock keys and they are $10 a piece.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

LordSaturn posted:

looks like Diablo 2: Oops all necromancers edition

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mjolnerd posted:

looks like Diablo 2: Oops all necromancers edition
You say that, I say "Marvel Heroes: Everyone's Squirrel Girl Edition" and I'm on board

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am perpetually hungry for new number go up so I'll give this a try but I expect to hit the same trick as Neverwinter that's been discussed, hitting a complete wall of pay or grind.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think I'm probably going to give this a try, I've been kinda missing arpg's ever since I stopped playing diablo 3 because gently caress blizzard

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Moose posted:

I think I'm probably going to give this a try, I've been kinda missing arpg's ever since I stopped playing diablo 3 because gently caress blizzard

Try Last Epoch. It hits the right balance of depth and is guaranteed not to be P2W.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Jedit posted:

Try Last Epoch. It hits the right balance of depth and is guaranteed not to be P2W.

that actually looks... good? Did you buy into the early access?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mjolnerd posted:

that actually looks... good? Did you buy into the early access?

I've actually played a bit of it, via EA I think? it was interesting at least, the time travel stuff works pretty well. feels a little bit D1 at times but once you start getting deeper into the skill tree that fades a bit