Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mjolnerd posted:

that actually looks... good? Did you buy into the early access?

I didn't kickstart it, but I have bought the EA version on Steam. I enjoyed it a lot and plan to go back to it when the story mode is complete (and when all five classes are in, but they are now). You can do some mindbendingly kick-rear end things in it. Boardman21 on YouTube is a good starting place both for gameplay and teaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Last Epoch is pretty good for a traditional arpg. It really needs multiplayer to take off and even though they've promised it, they have no timetable for when it's actually coming.

Magic Legends is structured a lot more like Destiny. Missions are broken up by overworld activities that include a decent bit of grinding. There's also already way too many currencies which is a cryptic hallmark.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Trek Online currently has 20 currencies.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

*Laughs in GW2*

Which I think is currently at like 45 or something.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

It's way more than that. There's 13 reputation, and most of them have 2 currencies (11 of which take up inventory slots, because they sell those too). That's 24 right there. Two main ones for fleets, with 8 more that only exist to drain the useful ones. Dilithium, zen, lobi, gpl, and ec - I count 39, though I'm probably missing some. And inflation's gotten so bad lately that people have started trading high priced items for lockbox keys, making those an unofficial currency as well. I'm not even counting the fact that there's technically 4 different kinds of dilithium.

If you like currencies in your currencies, Cryptic's the developer for you.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Just popping in to say this is looking really good. The devs just released a video on their equipment system, in short gear has swappable mods, if you find a duplicate piece of gear instead of having a dupe piece in your inventory you can swap the mods, there’s different rarities to the gear and the gear is cosmetic.

Looking good so far, but then I thought the same about Wolcen too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ColdIronsBound posted:

Just popping in to say this is looking really good. The devs just released a video on their equipment system, in short gear has swappable mods, if you find a duplicate piece of gear instead of having a dupe piece in your inventory you can swap the mods, there’s different rarities to the gear and the gear is cosmetic.

Looking good so far, but then I thought the same about Wolcen too.

This being cryptic, what is the catch / requirements in using this feature? I just picture there being a currency that requires grinding and is limited.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how MMO-y is this gonna be

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I said come in! posted:

This being cryptic, what is the catch / requirements in using this feature? I just picture there being a currency that requires grinding and is limited.

If there's any meaningful currency that can be grinded (ground?) then the tryhards will grind it 24/7.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gynovore posted:

If there's any meaningful currency that can be grinded (ground?) then the tryhards will grind it 24/7.

Yes, and Cryptic will take advantage of that is what I am trying to say. Their games are designed specifically for that crowd in mind.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

eonwe posted:

It's more like destiny than a full mmo. There are several overworld maps with public objectives to do broken up by individual missions that can be que'd for individually or with a group. The missions scale up in difficulty as your gear and deck improves. Some of the missions are straight forward diablo rift style missions with a boss arena at the end. Others are sort of timed objective score based maps where you capture points or defend objectives.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're familiar with Cryptic's other MMO based on a Wizards of the Coast property, Neverwinter, it's almost certainly going to be the same fundamentals.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I said come in! posted:

Yes, and Cryptic will take advantage of that is what I am trying to say. Their games are designed specifically for that crowd in mind.

Right. But if Hubert Waddlefarb grinds for 16 hours, that doesn't put money in Cryptic/Perfect World's pockets, unless...

A dude posted:

If you're familiar with Cryptic's other MMO based on a Wizards of the Coast property, Neverwinter, it's almost certainly going to be the same fundamentals.

Exactly. When you hit top level at Neverwinter after a week, progress from then on is 100% gear-based. You can run raids for gear, but the very top gear is crafted. And if the very top gear is +17 platemail, you'll find that crafting it requires 56 units of adamantine, and you also need a Flawless Hammer to craft it, and the hammer must be forged of pure Aspergium, and soaked for a week in gamer girl bathwater, and so forth. All these things cost Astral Diamonds, and all ways to get them are very strictly timegated, except for paying real money.

So, at the very top level, the best build for the Magic MMO will require at least three colors, and those will require rare lands to function consistently, and 'binding' the rare lands requires a handwritten note from Urza and a lock of Chandra's pub^H^H^Hhair, and all those require Black Lotuses to buy, and all ways to grind Lotuses are timegated, leaving Hubert with no choice but to reach for his credit card.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

eonwe posted:

it reminds me more of Diablo 3, with a bunch of swappable Build Components and a kind of actiony battlefield to deploy your moves on

Gynovore posted:

speculation about crafting, plus a weird reference to Chandra Nalaar's pubic hair for some reason? gross dude

they have talked about the crafting/gear/drops in various videos, you can see the grooves they've made for themselves:
  • "cards" (spells you can actually cast from your hot bar, creatures sorceries and enchantments) drop in fragments, and unlock once you collect the complete card. you can also spend resources to upgrade the cards
  • gear (six slots; each kind of hat has a cosmetic appearance associated with it but also some modest stat buffs) is designed to drop with randomized modifiers, but you can swap between all the modifiers you've ever seen on a particular piece, and spend crafting resources to upgrade the numbers on that.
  • artifacts (six slots, 1-2-3 of descending power/rarity, no direct cosmetic effect, much more significant buffs/triggered abilities) are rare loot and likely to be the subject of significant farming since they seem like certain artifacts will be pivotal to certain builds. they also have some kind of upgrade system but it's for the whole artifact rather than a specific stat

so my speculation is that accumulating a library of most of the spells will be pretty easy, and gear will probably be pretty interchangeable, but artifacts will be purchasable in lockbox form, and the various upgrade currencies will all be economized to push you towards various lockboxes and cash-shop bundles

there's also the thing where you get one character class for free, and have to buy the others later, that part will probably be another funnel towards money-paying

EDIT: there's plainly enough mechanical clicky-bits that I'm gonna be loving with this for a while at least

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 21, 2021

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Gynovore posted:

Exactly. When you hit top level at Neverwinter after a week, progress from then on is 100% gear-based. You can run raids for gear, but the very top gear is crafted. And if the very top gear is +17 platemail, you'll find that crafting it requires 56 units of adamantine, and you also need a Flawless Hammer to craft it, and the hammer must be forged of pure Aspergium, and soaked for a week in gamer girl bathwater, and so forth. All these things cost Astral Diamonds, and all ways to get them are very strictly timegated, except for paying real money.

In order to upgrade your spells and gear you need refined Aether. You can only refine 10,000 aether per day. You can however buy refined aether with real money currency (zen) from other players. F2P players can sell aether for zen to other players. That's your time gate / pay to win function in Magic Legends.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frustrated posted:

In order to upgrade your spells and gear you need refined Aether. You can only refine 10,000 aether per day. You can however buy refined aether with real money currency (zen) from other players. F2P players can sell aether for zen to other players. That's your time gate / pay to win function in Magic Legends.

This is the same in Star Trek Online too, only they call it dilithium, it just changes names in each game. It's an extremely exploitative pay to win system.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

I said come in! posted:

This is the same in Star Trek Online too, only they call it dilithium, it just changes names in each game. It's an extremely exploitative pay to win system.

I guess latinum was too on the nose

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Here’s more info about the dozen currencies in the game: https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en/news-article/11485203?fbclid=IwAR3p7KvldhWe1X0R7WF4SzlgMCt6Gronx6M-SD6ghoal_UZYeL9nZM8iGiA

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess I might have missed this but have they actually talked about the game structure at all? Having all these currency exchanges and sinks is great and all but I feel like I have no idea what you're actually doing hour to hour.

Also unless I missed it in that article having a battle pass that does not fully refund itself seems like a bad move.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

ohhh for gently caress's sake...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Orv posted:

I guess I might have missed this but have they actually talked about the game structure at all? Having all these currency exchanges and sinks is great and all but I feel like I have no idea what you're actually doing hour to hour.

Also unless I missed it in that article having a battle pass that does not fully refund itself seems like a bad move.

yes but only in lovely ad-saturated articles on games press websites or livestreams (now VODs) running down the mechanics. if you can be more specific about what you're wondering we might know the answer

Orv
May 4, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

yes but only in lovely ad-saturated articles on games press websites or livestreams (now VODs) running down the mechanics. if you can be more specific about what you're wondering we might know the answer

Sort of not entirely sure how to even phrase it, necessarily. Is there a campaign? Is there a D3 adventure mode analogue? It's an MMO that seems focused around grinding perpetually better versions of the spells so what's the carry on/post-game mission structure? Go do this one adventure/map/mission over and over for these four drops?

Just that kind of stuff in general honestly, if it's easier to just point me at VODs that's fine too.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

seems like Destiny-style - a hub world with instanced combat trials i.e. quests. beat the combat, proceed to the next quest. don't know if they've talked about post-game yet

here's the VODs https://twitch.tv/beamagiclegend

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Polygon — Hands-on with Magic: Legends, entering beta on PC March 23

quote:

So how much content is available at launch? The game’s developers told Polygon to expect about 30 hours out of the gate, with somewhat less required to unlock all the basic spells for the game’s five planeswalker classes. Beyond that, repetition is the name of the game. You’ll be able to team up with other players to tackle particularly challenging difficulty levels, and get rewarded with all the building blocks you’ll need to craft new cards and improve old ones.

After launch, fans can expect a steady stream of new content for the free-to-play game to roll out over time. Narrative content will always be free, developers told us, and include new storylines, new enemies, new regions, and more. Microtransactions will not include things like power or progression.

Most importantly, there won’t be any “leveling friction,” developers said, meaning that players won’t be limited in the in-game content they can consume based on how powerful their character is in-game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sounds awful

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

They should have stole my "Flappy Nicol Bolas" game idea

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching the official Twitch stream today, Cryptic has done a lot of work on the presentation. Visually much more interesting game. Just a question of whether or not it will be fun to play. I last played the prep-alpha and was not impressed at all, but that was a long time ago at this point. Am really hoping this ends up a good game. Cryptic MMOs tend to be pretty basic at the start, but really grow overtime and get better.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Even the stans on this game are down in the dumps on it.

Been tracking it for awhile. Can’t wait for March 23rd open beta. Gonna throw the discord channel up in the ol usual games discord and let it ride.

I do hope it’s all good. The world needs good games. Fingers crossed!

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
This is going to be a great game

Ise
Nov 7, 2019

Is it just me, or is this Diablo 3 clone launching 10 years after Diablo 3, whilst the gaming world is preparing for Diablo 4 AND Diablo 2 being remade. WotC behind the curve again?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the weird thing is, if they just said this was an ARPG I'd be way more into it

classifying it as an MMO is just a disappointment to me for some reason

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FDGF_UK posted:

Is it just me, or is this Diablo 3 clone launching 10 years after Diablo 3, whilst the gaming world is preparing for Diablo 4 AND Diablo 2 being remade. WotC behind the curve again?

I personally don't care for either of those games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

the weird thing is, if they just said this was an ARPG I'd be way more into it

classifying it as an MMO is just a disappointment to me for some reason

In the west, the action RPG / MMORPG genre isn't that popular and there aren't a lot of options, but right now it's the hot thing in Korea and Japan. It's the direction that Diablo 4 is going too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FDGF_UK posted:

Every piece of D4 footage has looked very bad, which granted the game is apparently still trying to figure out what it wants to be even after it got refactored like four times before being announced and D2 rerelease is not a meaningful thing to other new ARPGs existing.

Mind you I don't think this game is gonna be super great irrespective of these things.

E: To clarify on the D2 point, the people that have been playing D2 this whole time are going to keep playing D2, the people who are nostalgic are going to go back for a few weeks or a couple months and then things'll continue on as they always do, all of us thirsting for the next ARPG disappointment.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 19, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The ARPG of most interest right now is Last Epoch. I've not played in a few iterations, but it definitely recaptured the D2 feel.

E: and I already mentioned it last month, sorry.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I mean, Blizzard is regressing to DoNt U hAvE pHoNeS?? so as long as Magic Legends is better than that, they're probably doing alright, it pretty much just has to compete with the D2 remaster, unless d4 turns out to be actually good. Also some people are still boycotting blizzard because of their stance on hong kong.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Can I be an enchantress deck? Last time I played MtG was Urza block

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't wait on Diablo 4 either, Magic Legends is beating it to market by 2 to 3 years, it's not coming out anytime soon. Diablo 2 Remake is maybe releasing this year, but then it's finished, the dev team is moving on after launch. Last Epoch, and Path of Exile 2 right now are the other action RPGs to be excited about currently.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Rufio posted:

Can I be an enchantress deck? Last time I played MtG was Urza block

you can make a pile of enchantments, yet to be seen whether that's a workable strategy in any way

given that it's Cryptic doing a high-customization game again I'd like to imagine the game balance is going to break as horribly as Urza block but who knows, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-load is available now.