Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a small number of codes being given out today to play Magic Legends starting today. The official launch for everyone is tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Apparently there's a guy going on a tear harassing twitch streamers and blaming bots whenever he doesn't win a raffle for a code to get in the game ONE DAY EARLY. I've seen him get banned from 2 streams and a discord

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Moose posted:

Apparently there's a guy going on a tear harassing twitch streamers and blaming bots whenever he doesn't win a raffle for a code to get in the game ONE DAY EARLY. I've seen him get banned from 2 streams and a discord

It's funny too because it's not even really a full day early, it's more like 12 - 16 hours. Completely not worth it. I'm gonna just watch the Twitch streams today, but I don't care at all about trying to get a code. I bought the $40 founders pack like a fool, so i'll be playing tomorrow either way.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I said come in! posted:

$40 founders pack

what's in it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

what's in it

https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en/news-article/11483723
Planeswalker Cosmetic Sets
Five sets themed after each of the five colors of mana:
White - Sanctifier - Armor of Serra
Blue - Mind Mage - Azorious Vestments
Black - Necromancer - Demonic Raiments
Red - Geomancer - Ghitu Garb
Green - Beastcaller - Zendikar Survivalist’s Gear
All sets are available for use on any character
Alt skins for signature summon spells
‘Wrathful’ Lightpiercer Angel
‘Tinkerer’ Academy Wizard
‘Ashen’ Volatile Thrull
‘Obsidian’ Earth Elemental
‘Jungle’ Enormous Baloth
Experimental Sentinel Summon Spell
Academy Sentinel Alt Skin (for the Experimental Sentinel summon)
Gilded Lotus Artifact

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is it like a soft launch?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, game will be open beta for awhile and then transition into full release, but there won't be a wipe.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is this an F2P game?

If I can't "mill" people in this game is it really MTG

Edit: the first thing that comes up is your wallet so I am guessing yes

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 22, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol the first planeswalker you see is "Ral Zarek"

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol the first planeswalker you see is "Ral Zarek"

I'm sure he is someone's favorite?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Does this game have counterspells, or like, bounce?

for that matter can you raise your dead minions?

can green ramp?

white can obviously go wide and play glorious anthem, and red can summon dragons, goblins and throw fireballs, but I'm just wondering how it handles the other colors' mechanics

Edit: I'm sure Ral is someone's favorite, isn't he the first openly gay planeswalker character? I haven't read any of the books but he seems like an alright character.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 22, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Green AOE attack is summoning a bunch of Llanowar Elves to spray arrows

A Moose posted:

Edit: I'm sure Ral is someone's favorite, isn't he the first openly gay planeswalker character? I haven't read any of the books but he seems like an alright character.

Oh right, it's been long enough that I mixed him up with "Dack Fayden."

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 22, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well ill try it out, cant hurt to try

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I had thought Ral Zarek was dead. apparently this is a common misconception

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this an F2P game?

yes, painfully so

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A Moose posted:

Does this game have counterspells, or like, bounce?

for that matter can you raise your dead minions?

can green ramp?

white can obviously go wide and play glorious anthem, and red can summon dragons, goblins and throw fireballs, but I'm just wondering how it handles the other colors' mechanics

I haven't watched the VOD for the blue class yet, so I'm not sure what mill, counter, or bounce translate to in the game's model, but they did carry across the ideas of card advantage vs. mana ramp: you can indeed use green spells that make your mana regenerate faster, and there are various blue and black spells that cause your hotbar to draw new cards without the usual delay. you can even stack up waiting draws so that your next N casts are immediately replaced.

here's the VOD for the green and blue classes https://twitch.tv/videos/928091641

they also talked about black having a bunch of DoT-oriented stuff

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitch.tv/beamagiclegend

Game is being played now on the official channel.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I said come in! posted:

Game is being played now on the official channel.

So it's a half-hearted Diablo 3?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THE BAR posted:

So it's a half-hearted Diablo 3?

Yes, this game has a high risk of failure imo. It'll have to really pump out engaging content post launch in order to keep people playing it. At the same rate that STO and Neverwinter get.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I said come in! posted:

Yes, this game has a high risk of failure imo. It'll have to really pump out engaging content post launch in order to keep people playing it. At the same rate that STO and Neverwinter get.

I'm just looking at that video, and everything looks so slow. Maybe it picks up later.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I watched five minutes of this stream and it felt really uninspired visually and the pacing also seemed kind of slow.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yeah its not magic if your opponent doesn't have time to fix and eat a sandwich during the time it takes you to finish your combo

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

tbh the slowness is probably for the best, given that your hotbar is randomized and you need to actually read it. gonna be a whole bunch of people ITT complaining about the game being slow-paced, though, followed by a whole bunch of people complaining about the randomized hotbar. then they'll all go away and it'll be quiet again :)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The fun part is all the, e.g., red spells have a red-orange colour palette, so you can't even use colour to quickly tell your cards apart.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

So now that the game is out I guess I can post my alpha impressions...

This game is not very good. Surprisingly the deck building / card swapping mechanic actually works fairly well. I didn't really have any trouble recognizing what I was casting and when. Unfortunately you can't have duplicates in your deck so often you will just get cards you don't really want or need at a specific moment but it's not too bad. Getting a summon duplicate will summon a copy of the summon you have out for 30 seconds and then disappear.

That's about all I have to say that's good about the game. It's a destiny style game where you have an overworld you quest through collecting bear asses for npcs who then lead you to instanced missions and then back to the overworld for more bear asses. The overworld is garbage and you outscale it super quickly making it entirely pointless after your first run through. If they don't allow for an overworld increase in difficulty in the live game you're gonna be grinding nothing but 2-3 missions over and over forever. Additionally increasing difficulty in some of the instanced content didn't seem to be worth it at all in the alpha. You get rewards based on your score and it was much easier to get a higher much higher score on a lower difficulty. There did seem to be some sort of base increase in rewards but it didn't outweigh being able to get double the score.

The base classes are mostly bad except 2. Green is the most powerful by far because summons are much stronger than spells. My green / white summon focused deck was doing the hardest content available in the alpha with ease while trying to put together a spell focused deck I kept getting destroyed. The +500 summon power from the green base class is just too good compared to the trash most of the other base classes get. Summons appear to both draw aggro and tank much, much better than the player character even with upgrades. Black is the second best base class mostly because it has life steal and +500 sorcery power which actually allows you to do decent damage with spells. You still have to throw out some summons to tank for you, but you at least do decent damage. The other three classes are bad. +500 healing, +500 toughness, and +500 control are mostly worthless.

The progression is going to be super slow if you don't want to spend real money. In order to upgrade your cards you have to find and spend spell pages and refined aether. Each upgrade to a card basically doubles the damage it does (for summons it also drastically increases their hp). It's too big a jump at every level. The amount to upgrade at each additional level increases exponentially. Finding spell pages is entirely random from completing objectives and instances. In alpha you were awarded pages randomly for any card you had. So, the more cards you have the lower the chance of finding pages for something you actually want to upgrade. Additionally you can only refine 10k aether a day. Once you're at level 4/5 of your cards it's going to take most of that aether for one upgrade. You also need to use that currency for upgrades in your home base. But worry not, you can buy aether from other players with zen real money currency!

There were only 4 zones in alpha, and I think they added one more in the open beta. The story is really quite bad and there is a ton of having to teleport around to talk to people for no loving reason on most missions forcing you to load in and out of way points over and over again.

I'm still gonna play it for a week till Outriders comes out because I have nothing else to waste my time on and I'm interested to see if they listened to feedback about any of the above from the last alpha.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Did they at least add any elements of magic lore?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If anyone's interested in making a more effort worthy op, go ahead and start a new thread and I'll close this one.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

If anyone's interested in making a more effort worthy op, go ahead and start a new thread and I'll close this one.

I’ll take this and rally the masses. The Marvel crew is interested and I’m tracking with it too.

Very little hope for this but hey, it’s appropriate right?!?

I’ll do my part!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ICR posted:

I’ll take this and rally the masses. The Marvel crew is interested and I’m tracking with it too.

Very little hope for this but hey, it’s appropriate right?!?

I’ll do my part!

There it is. The official kiss of death.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its death was almost assured, but ICR makes it official.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Makes it official I'll put 50 hours into it starting tomorrow

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Thank you all. I’ve had this thread bookmarked for awhile. I’m always looking for that ARPG itch.

Team, this was dead the moment it had Cryptic’s name next to it. I’ll apply the Wizardspike to it.

I watched my friend bearforce play this for an hour and it looked, let me find the fitting words to describe it.

It looked like a video game.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

A Moose posted:

This is amazing given that I discovered today it was being streamed, hopped into a random stream, immediately answered a riddle from a mod, got a key, and hopped off Twitch.

Also this game is bad, my god.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

apparently this code: 6FEP2H9U4NHJ4KEZ6AM96KE2 works for anyone who wants to get into the head start tonight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frustrated posted:

So now that the game is out I guess I can post my alpha impressions...

*snip*

Your experience matches mine. The only thing I'll add to what you said is that not only are summons stronger than spells, they're also easier to use because you fire and forget instead of having to work out which of the 15 different shapes and ranges of damage you've got on your bar. I don't think I've ever seen a worse designed game. I didn't even bother playing through the entire alpha, I wouldn't play it again for free and I sure as hell wouldn't pay any money for it. Even with the name brand recognition, I'd guess the servers will be shut down by Christmas.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

how is movement this clunky

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The performance was shite in alpha, has it improved at all?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The game starting with a unskippable, low fidelity, glitchy cutscene really helps set the tone for what is ahead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frustrated posted:

apparently this code: 6FEP2H9U4NHJ4KEZ6AM96KE2 works for anyone who wants to get into the head start tonight.

This worked, thank you!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

The game starting with a unskippable, low fidelity, glitchy cutscene really helps set the tone for what is ahead.

my favorite are the two brief but unskippable jittery cinematics that bookend the loading screen of every 'fast' travel

I also dig the persistent 200+ms ping to a US server on gigabit fiber

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Hauki posted:

I also dig the persistent 200+ms ping to a US server on gigabit fiber

Mine is a mere 160! Still feels loving awful though, combined with random fps drops it's kinda shocking how bad performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Optimization still needs a ton of work.