Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I enjoy watching my character moonwalk out of every NPC hitbox to start a conversation while discovering the battle pass is already live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This game does not put it's best foot forward. The first "real" post tutorial mission is your standard wave defense thing that is fine. The problem is the waves are spread around this arena of different colored crystals and every minute or so it goes "HURRY TO THIS CRYSTAL" then your character drunkenly strolls over to the crystal showing just how slow and lovely movement feels.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Once you get to the main city, the game seems to really start to open up for mechanics and gameplay speed. I made it to level 9 and am calling it a night. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

The entire tutorial and first zone are basically a dumpster fire. I had much more fun later in the game (during the alpha) when I could mix colors and fight stuff on higher difficulties.

Also, in another stupid developer move, you literally cannot group until you get past all of Tazeem. Not just the tutorial, but the whole first zone despite being open world with other people on the map. You can que for a group mission when you do the instances, but you can't create a party and guaruntee you que with your friends. It's so bad.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

movement does feel a bit janky. I guess I assumed it was lag? feels very irregular, like a rubberbanding issue with loads of compensation/prediction

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Movement feels much better on a controller, there is definitely something weird with the click to move and it made me immediately try the gamepad.

I will echo that the optimization seems shockingly bad. The tutorial area in particular it seems like every time it was streaming in data or something I was tanking to single digit FPS. I have an old machine but *nothing* runs that bad unless the game is hosed up, and there is nothing visually going on to justify it. It's smoother once I got out into the first area with Nissa but it still poops along with bad but playable framerate.

I'm just barely intrigued enough by the potential of the character building to keep playing. The combat seems unimpressive but acceptable on first blush-- lack of polish and visceral impact. Reminds me of Marvel Heroes!

Scoss fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 23, 2021

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

If you want to talk game on discord too. 90% of y’all already here of course. Magic Legends channel. https://discord.gg/NpDc9pXe

I’ll get the new OP up for launch tomorrow. Just gotta get the big game points and synopsis up and running!

This game is red flag city but I’ll say it really picks up after the early game. I’m having a much better time than expected.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
So is this an MMO or what?

How's the movement scheme? Is it the godawful Diablo-style click-to-move or something more dynamic?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, I was looking forward to giving this a try but the most recent posts aren't giving me much hope. I did get Last Epoch thanks to it being recommend in this thread and am having fun with that, though.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
There are some interesting ideas in the game. The card system is surprisingly fun and the only thing that will carry the game if it survives.

The spell animations look like they belong in a different, better game while most everything else looks super generic. There is so much basic visual glitching and bugs that shouldn’t have made it out of an alpha. The previously mentioned glitching on teleporting is a good example. Enemies also just appear on screen from nowhere. There are rarely spawning animations.

The whole first zone should be removed or made substantially shorter. It’s just a terrible extended tutorial that is going to bounce probably 50% of the people who try the game. It is very clearly the first thing they made in the game. The actual tutorial is worse somehow.

The story and characters are bad even by MMO standards. The NPCs from the story are basically generic wacky over confident wizard who becomes your mentor and generic evil wizard. They are the most fleshed out characters I’ve seen so far. There’s one or more characters in the first zone that wear green and say things but I’ve already forgotten everything about them. Except one had a pet I kept trying to attack because it looked just like an enemy.

Most missions I’ve seen so far are some variation of king of the hill. Defend this zone, deactivate that zone, kill these things at this zone then defend it.

The amount of pay to play/win in the game is more than previous Cryptic titles have had at launch. They clear intend to milk the whales from day one and aren’t even hiding it anymore.

I agree with the poster who said this has a Marvel Heroes feel to it. There is a similar level of absolute jank to what Marvel Heroes had. Marvel Heroes was still a fun game that I really enjoyed because of the theme and characters. I don’t see this having the same feel at all longterm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This won't apply to most of you, being Merkian, but I'm getting reports that many people on the civilised side of the pond are getting 200+ ping and rubber banding. It's starting to look a lot like there aren't any actual EU servers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The rubberbanding is something everyone is getting. The servers are hosed. I'm surprised at the issues, and how there is such a lack of features and customization from the UI and options. In the chat window, type /shadows 0 and that should up your frame rate, but even then I still got large frame rate drops. I am playing on a RTX 2070 too, this should not be happening.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

1 hour until open beta! Keep in mind, that means it’s free. Free to play it and see if you like it or hate it.

I’ll get that fresh OP up and kudos and thanks to Freakazoid for the original OP. They are a good poster.

Until then, let’s all log in and play and see how this is. I’m excited for something fresh!

AotC
May 16, 2010
Open beta is here and.... it's a typical cryptic game.

If anyone is bothered by the insane amount of Zone channel spam, just remember "/channel_leave Zone"

The glorious sound of silence.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My favorite bit of F2P garbage in this game so far is that there's a 6th class you can get (Dimir Assassin) but only from booster packs. Better spend a bunch of money if you want a shiny new class!

I'm enjoying this game so far but it really does seem like a giant dumpster fire. Can't see it lasting too long if they don't step up their game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do classes in this game even work? I started with green but it looks like I can unlock the other colours later? Does your starting class even matter in the long run?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
E: Wow I'm an idiot, scroll up.

AotC posted:

If anyone is bothered by the insane amount of Zone channel spam, just remember "/channel_leave Zone"

I appreciate this so much. I looked and looked for a way last night and couldn't find how.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Arzaac posted:

My favorite bit of F2P garbage in this game so far is that there's a 6th class you can get (Dimir Assassin) but only from booster packs. Better spend a bunch of money if you want a shiny new class!

I'm enjoying this game so far but it really does seem like a giant dumpster fire. Can't see it lasting too long if they don't step up their game.

Don’t worry, you can buy the class off a vendor later...

For 4 million gold.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

New thread is up and running. I read a lot, took a lot and copied/pasted and typed my own stuff and well, hopefully it's a good start for those who have no idea what this game is or how to go about it. Game explains very little, so I hope I did my part for now!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963029

Cheers again to all here, Freakazoid for championing the game in the beginning and well, just us goons hopefully finding something fun to last us a bit. If not, onto the next one!

GO TEAM!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AotC posted:

holy poo poo thank you

Lawlicaust posted:

Don’t worry, you can buy the class off a vendor later...

For 4 million gold.
It shows up at 8 million for me?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the minions on necro are dumb as gently caress, they barely attack or do anything.

i love uinskippable cutscenes in my arpg

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 23, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hauki posted:

holy poo poo thank you

It shows up at 8 million for me?

Oh, maybe it is 8 then. I only saw it for a moment. Probably makes more sense that it is 8.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is this actually an mmo or is everything instanced like path of exile, Diablo, Etc.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
Do the instances get difficult or at least more interesting later on? I feel like I'm in the world's longest tutorial but have only done the first group instance, which felt like a significantly worse Dragon Nest/Vindictus. Do enemies have mechanics for me to care about? Is it even worth playing on hard difficulties later or just cruising through on easy for a better score?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i watched some streamer run through a forest area for like 50 seconds without seeing a single mob. its a godadmn arpg, obliterating screens of monsters is the main thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
ok enjoy the new thread now!!

ICR posted:

New thread is up and running. I read a lot, took a lot and copied/pasted and typed my own stuff and well, hopefully it's a good start for those who have no idea what this game is or how to go about it. Game explains very little, so I hope I did my part for now!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963029

Cheers again to all here, Freakazoid for championing the game in the beginning and well, just us goons hopefully finding something fun to last us a bit. If not, onto the next one!

GO TEAM!