Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agzItTz35QQ

8 years later some of it is a lot better, some of it is pretty much the same.

text to speech sounds way better thanks to ML-based speech synthesis
you can now shout at it instead of pressing a button because of low power DSPs, but it still mis-fires too often
transcription is way better but it's still not perfect and wasn't that bad 8 years ago

but in terms of what actions the siri/alexa/google cylinders can do, I feel like it hasn't evolved as far as you'd hope. like yeah there are more commands you can shout at them, and aside from alexa, with apple/google you can usually shout it in a variety of different ways, but it was kind of sold with this idea that "the AI will figure out how to do what you want" and instead it still feels like a bunch of brittle pattern matching.

does anyone actually buy things by shouting at the cylinder? I feel like normal people don't really do that but I have no idea what normal humans are doing these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
broke: shouting at the cylinder
woke: shooting at the cylinder

--------8<---------

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

--------8<---------

surprisingly there aren't youtube videos of people shooting at a cylinder, which is weird because there are youtube videos of people shooting at *everything*

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
misread as "making GBS threads"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

post your favourite cylinders

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

--------8<---------

revolver cylinder

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Hey YOSPOS! I don't mean to be tellin' tales out of school, but there's a feller in there that'll pay you ten dollars if you talk into his cylinder.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don’t think my car’s OBD I port supports talking to the cylinders, op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

does anyone actually buy things by shouting at the cylinder? I feel like normal people don't really do that but I have no idea what normal humans are doing these days

nope. the entire premise of amazon’s loss leading cylinder program is fundamentally flawed.

and what happens when the cylinder gives you an ad? google found out the hard way that users hate it, and now they’re selling no-margin cylinders with no way to monetize them.

but what about Apple? they make money by selling hardware, so they make the most expensive cylinder with the worst voice assistant. unsurprisingly they’re not huge sellers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

I don’t think my car’s OBD I port supports talking to the cylinders, op

try shouting into the exhaust pipe

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
everyone these days just wants to talk to the cylinders. has anyone considered listening to them? hmmm?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
more like cylindurrs imo

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

and what happens when the cylinder gives you an ad? google found out the hard way that users hate it, and now they’re selling no-margin cylinders with no way to monetize them.

i have no idea what the actual plan is, but blowhards analysts have been saying that if you search for "what's the best italian restaurant near me" via voice that's an opportunity for paid placement

don't know if that's something people do regularly, though

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Would be a good product in an alternate timeline without mobile phones

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
my friend had an amazon and we used it for knock knock jokes and saying "hey Alexa, play my rear end" and seeing what terrible song we could find

Worth the $0 we paid for it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
have you ever asked an Alexa to do a knock knock joke? it just splurts the whole thing out there with zero comedic timing and it's a bit funny ngl

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

i really like my jbls flip

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

We miss you Scott :(

I want to go back to the days iOS was good when Siri could help you with actual problems like "I need to hide a body"
Removing Wolfram Alpha integration from Siri ruined it, they should have bought the company instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vdplWcX5yA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLZ_ScwNtk

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

400 cubic centimeter air cooled

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
inanimate carbon rod

animist
Aug 28, 2018
just steal one of the cylinders from the Giants Causeway and talk to that instead imo

you may summon some form of spirit or fae but whatever it is it'll certainly be less malevolent than amazon

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bored Online posted:

inanimate carbon rod

but enough about my no good brother in law!!!!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did someone say rod

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

DuckConference posted:

i have no idea what the actual plan is, but blowhards analysts have been saying that if you search for "what's the best italian restaurant near me" via voice that's an opportunity for paid placement

don't know if that's something people do regularly, though

nice that should definitely net a lot of money for all of the *stops to count on fingers* zero people who would ever do that

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I'm shocked at the implication Google isn't somehow able to profit from recording every spoken word in your household.

Even Amazon sells data from customer doorbells, and that's not even inside your home.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it's some heavy-handed twilight zone poo poo that millions of people cheerfully pay money to have an always-on internet-connected microphone in their homes so that they don't have to touch their phones to play music

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it's some heavy-handed twilight zone poo poo that millions of people cheerfully pay money to have an always-on internet-connected microphone in their homes so that they don't have to touch their phones to play music

even worse - they have 6 always on internet connected microphones in their homes which were all gifts or “prizes” that they use for nothing at all (besides it eavesdropping)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I assume you can set up Alexa like a dash button, i.e. tell it to order more toilet paper and it orders the kind you already have selected for restock. I can't imagine actually shopping with a screen-less digital assistant, much less on Amazon since they sell so much counterfeit junk.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

I assume you can set up Alexa like a dash button, i.e. tell it to order more toilet paper and it orders the kind you already have selected for restock.

you can. in practice almost no one does this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

I assume you can set up Alexa like a dash button, i.e. tell it to order more toilet paper and it orders the kind you already have selected for restock. I can't imagine actually shopping with a screen-less digital assistant, much less on Amazon since they sell so much counterfeit junk.

thats kind of funny yeah. amazon, the place that shows you 3,721 results for 'usb cable 6 foot', made a thing that lets you blindly reorder the same thing. if you squint and cock your head, they invalidate part of their whole approach with another of their gadgets.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

you can. in practice almost no one does this.

but it was going to kill MY BRAND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXEu8RcneZQ

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i mostly use siri to set timers and alarms. that is all

e: music is kind of fun on the echo dot. maybe this and to check the weather. i feel they all kind have overshot the cylinder thing. seemed to be a quick, now-fading fad

e2: i think it will come back again, once AI becomes more general. you'll be able to talk to it like a human, that is more intelligent and loving than your average one, but it will warn you that it's not responsible for your safety

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 16, 2019

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
talking to computers has the same problem it always had. computers aren’t conversational. human dialog requires a huge amount of implicit context that computers just don’t have, and can’t have without a general AI on the level of a human brain.

if I say “it’s cold outside” any human understands what you mean. a computer needs to be told that “it” is the weather, “cold” is an approximate temperature range relative to human comfort levels, and outside is a reference to the space near my location but not protected from the weather. and then there’s the significance. what does it mean that it’s cold outside? humans know that it implies that I’m inside, that I would want to dress warmly if I go outside, that it’s going to apply to the context of whatever conversation we were having. maybe you said we should go for a bike ride. but I replied it’s cold outside. that means I think it’s a bad idea right now.

anyway cylinders are dumb, don’t talk to them

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
cylinders are a strictly worse version of a command line interface, like imagine if you mistyped "cat file.txt" and instead of instantly getting "no such file or directory" you had to wait for a robot voice to say "sorry, i don't understand" or worse, the interface said "ok" and just started playing a random album from your library

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
also at least with a CLI you can theoretically read the man pages and get some idea what functionality is even offered, but with a cylinder you have to keep trying poo poo like a bad text based adventure game

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

also at least with a CLI you can theoretically read the man pages and get some idea what functionality is even offered, but with a cylinder you have to keep trying poo poo like a bad text based adventure game

any reason is a good reason to post the "adventure games committed suicide via cat mustache" article: https://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Plank Walker posted:

alexa read me the instructions

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the iOS 13 update changed the reminders app Siri shortcuts and it is weirdly infuriating to say the same command that worked for years and have this loving idiot digital assistant respond that there is no such app for it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DuckConference posted:

any reason is a good reason to post the "adventure games committed suicide via cat mustache" article: https://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

lol'd at "complex fantasy world of Leisure Suit Larry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

has anyone tried posting with alexa?