Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pacho posted:

turn the audio on: (right click on the video -> unmute on Firefox at least)

https://i.imgur.com/iL8id8Z.mp4

link for ease of use: https://imgur.com/iL8id8Z

i wish this could be the thread title

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Akratic Method posted:

Also jacked-as-gently caress Sharqi rules especially.

She's so happy! :allears:

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
:five: :five: :five:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

that's fantastic, no notes

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
"Mahua" and "Death" mean the same thing

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Empress Theonora posted:

But Comrade Sharqi's 'revolution' is already a fait accompli, and for the moment they're the only even nominally communist power in Asia. Could easily see a future where we've got to make common cause with her; we've already swallowed our pride and thrown our support behind more Müllerist tendencies in Europe because at least they aren't the damned fascists.

The future is now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ms Adequate posted:

Ahahaha holy gently caress, best Iteration yet of an already fantastic meme.

What is it based on?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

What is it based on?

This meme.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

GunnerJ posted:

What is it based on?

The 'Dr. Livesey Walk' meme. An extremely memeable character from a mid-80s soviet version of Treasure Island which in the scene relevant here has him strutting like a chad behind Squire Trelawney and ahead of Jim Hawkins, who merrily headbob in time. The meme sets it to the same music seen here, and has spawned dozens of variants with various character groupings.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Honestly that's some really good gif work, especially with the redrawn characters, big props

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

AJ_Impy posted:

The 'Dr. Livesey Walk' meme. An extremely memeable character from a mid-80s soviet version of Treasure Island which in the scene relevant here has him strutting like a chad behind Squire Trelawney and ahead of Jim Hawkins, who merrily headbob in time. The meme sets it to the same music seen here, and has spawned dozens of variants with various character groupings.

Also worth noting that Jim Hawkins in that movie, represented by Iouliana E. here, is a badass who in the scene immediately following the walk cycle takes a man half again his size and six times his mass and puts him through a wall with martial arts moves. This is a thing he can do because he is a good boy who takes care of his body and daily regimen.

If you haven't watched that Soviet Treasure Island, I strongly recommend giving it at least an attempt. It's very strange in the best way, from a cultural sphere the West hasn't gotten a lot of looks at in the past.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Something that came up: because of how volunteers in HOI4 work, all those ones she has in Lithuania will disappear instantly into the ether now, to reappear in India a week later. Gotta hope they weren't necessary to stop the fascists or anything.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Given the Germans disappearing didn't slow Lithuania down at all, I'm not sure the Marathis will either :V

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
Just to throw another idle musing on the pile:
How is the NGF internally handling the re-absorbed fascist elements from the victory in their civil war? I don't know if the editors may have made explicit content on that subject, but I'm not optimistic about the likelihood of the NGF government actually disarming and suppressing the fascists. I'm imagining a lot of "repatriation and reconciliation" where HRE officers are being brought back in droves due to a common ground of anti-communism. Could even be considered a motivating factor in the NGF's eagerness to withdraw their "volunteers" from the Imperial and commit themselves more firmly to the Jimao on the side of the Allies (I know it's probably just game mechanics where neutral countries just run to their ideological bloc as soon as they check off some readiness boxes).

And if the NGF are actually pursuing de-mobilizing the fascists I'd have to further wonder if the RRP's participation in the civil war might have had a lasting impact on popular opinion.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

stumblebum posted:

Just to throw another idle musing on the pile:
How is the NGF internally handling the re-absorbed fascist elements from the victory in their civil war? I don't know if the editors may have made explicit content on that subject, but I'm not optimistic about the likelihood of the NGF government actually disarming and suppressing the fascists. I'm imagining a lot of "repatriation and reconciliation" where HRE officers are being brought back in droves due to a common ground of anti-communism. Could even be considered a motivating factor in the NGF's eagerness to withdraw their "volunteers" from the Imperial and commit themselves more firmly to the Jimao on the side of the Allies (I know it's probably just game mechanics where neutral countries just run to their ideological bloc as soon as they check off some readiness boxes).

And if the NGF are actually pursuing de-mobilizing the fascists I'd have to further wonder if the RRP's participation in the civil war might have had a lasting impact on popular opinion.

[mechanically naive, fiction-forward speculation here]

It would be entirely reasonable for the process of doing that to be part of the motivation for the NGF realigning themselves more thoroughly with the liberal factions. To date there is no sure-fire method for handling the losers of a civil war. It is typical for partisans of one strategy or another to simply say that "this is the only meaningful, good method, and it is obviously and universally superior to all others" and to be able to find in short order evidence of that method backfiring horrifically. The top priority of a state that finds itself closing out a civil war is to make sure that it is closed, that you do not find yourself in a situation where you have only a few months of peace before the old wounds reopen and your previous victory gets written down in the history books as "end of phase 1." The range of options for how to deal with the losers can be thought of as going from "total amnesty" to "execute them all," with a variety of levels of "punish the ringleaders, let the commoners go free" or even perversely "punish the commoners, let the ringleaders go free" and "ban all members of x from certain activities for some length of time, but let them live." Functionally every iteration has been tried, and has its own range of successes and failures.

Nothing about the NGF makes me think that they are inclined toward mass punishment. They are liberals, and mass killing people who are members of the 'in' group because of their participation in a secondary group is not their way. These are Germans, and that is more important than whether or not they are fascists in this political situation. And the underlying logic of avoiding mass punishment is sensible: every person you kill has a mother or daughter who now has a grudge against whoever signed the death warrant. Strategic executions of specific bad examples is a showcase of state power, blanket executions is a opposition recruiting campaign. What you have proposed, punishment by barring from military service, has the same and in some ways worse problems. Not only do you build up a debt of bad blood, but you haven't even removed the person who is the most aggrieved, and especially bad in this case, you now have created an unemployed person who hates you and has military expertise.

While as communists we have a bit more creativity around this problem than liberals, the limits of the liberal polity do not give them a good set of tools for intermediate levels between punishment and total amnesty. Total amnesty, or perhaps "we'll overlook the fascism thing IFF you play good soldier for a few more years," are about their only tools other than unemployment, prison, or the hiratine for dealing with "we now have a bunch of militarily competent fascists bumming around," and unemployment would be a disaster, prison is likely unmanageable, and the hiratine would be both ideologically uncomfortable and come with further unfortunate costs. On top of this, the last polling data we have from the NGF has a population that has a sizable minority of fascists. Vindicating the fascists via martyrdom is likely to accelerate that tendency rather than staunch it.

Amnesty, or amnesty-for-service, is probably the best of a bad set of choices for the NGF. Political reeducation or truth and reconciliation campaigns are likely simply outside what they would accept on strategic grounds, and without those what we are likely to see is an ongoing, hopefully cold, political contest inside the NGF over fascism. Some fascist officer will likely do a minor political pivot and take on some significant power in post-war politics, and some of the fascists who inevitably die in the Jimao War will get hagiographies, partially by liberals trying to paint themselves as "fair" in relationship to communism vs fascism, and more frequently and strongly by at home fascists who will point to how a good fascist can bleed for Germany and why don't we give it a try c'mon don't you want to honor the legacy of Good Uncle Ulric by making your homeland a nightmare?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For what it's worth, as far as I remember the generals who side with the HRE don't pop up again in the NGF general list should the feds win the civil war

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
A thing that happened purely mechanically just because of how the civil war was set up, but might be relevant to this conversation, is that the half or so of the generals who went over to the HRE are gone after the civil war, which meant that the NGF had a shortage of generals (especially when they had like a million tiny little volunteer forces running around, but even after joining the Allies and consolidating those it’s still a military that needs a bunch of generals), which in turn means that now there’s a bunch of Skill 1 randomly generated generals clogging up their command structure (which then creates more work for me since I have to go back and draw/properly name if they actually show up in the thread, but that’s neither here nor there).

This only affects the highest echelons of command (four-star generals and field marshals) because that’s what HoI IV models, but it might still be useful information for speculating about the current state of the German military, its officer corps, and its politics.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

NewMars posted:

Something that came up: because of how volunteers in HOI4 work, all those ones she has in Lithuania will disappear instantly into the ether now, to reappear in India a week later. Gotta hope they weren't necessary to stop the fascists or anything.

They'll be back.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Empress Theonora posted:

A thing that happened purely mechanically just because of how the civil war was set up, but might be relevant to this conversation, is that the half or so of the generals who went over to the HRE are gone after the civil war, which meant that the NGF had a shortage of generals (especially when they had like a million tiny little volunteer forces running around, but even after joining the Allies and consolidating those it’s still a military that needs a bunch of generals), which in turn means that now there’s a bunch of Skill 1 randomly generated generals clogging up their command structure (which then creates more work for me since I have to go back and draw/properly name if they actually show up in the thread, but that’s neither here nor there).

This only affects the highest echelons of command (four-star generals and field marshals) because that’s what HoI IV models, but it might still be useful information for speculating about the current state of the German military, its officer corps, and its politics.

This does! It does mean that the most permissive cases for the treatment of HRE officers is out. Which is reasonable! It does leave room for interpretation obviously - the crudest option (and the one I'd take if this were 1200 and we lacked other sources) was that those officers were executed, but also those officers could have simply moved en masse to fascist countries, or they could have all cashed out early, or they could have been barred from office, or they could even have been demoted. The one thing it means is that my thought that they might have given Field Marshalls the option of "if you serve us for the Jimao War we'll overlook your previous bad behavior" is just right out. Doesn't mean they did that for any lower level personnel (and I suspect there's a mechanical answer to the common foot soldier, aka "did NGF get a manpower bump from ending the war").

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Tulip posted:

This does! It does mean that the most permissive cases for the treatment of HRE officers is out. Which is reasonable! It does leave room for interpretation obviously - the crudest option (and the one I'd take if this were 1200 and we lacked other sources) was that those officers were executed, but also those officers could have simply moved en masse to fascist countries, or they could have all cashed out early, or they could have been barred from office, or they could even have been demoted. The one thing it means is that my thought that they might have given Field Marshalls the option of "if you serve us for the Jimao War we'll overlook your previous bad behavior" is just right out. Doesn't mean they did that for any lower level personnel (and I suspect there's a mechanical answer to the common foot soldier, aka "did NGF get a manpower bump from ending the war").

The bolded bit dovetails nicely into more salient and actionable questions to tackle in what is an increasingly inevitable near-future: what do the politics of RRP-installed governments in occupied fascist countries look like? And how will the NGF feel about being surrounded by countries being conjured nearly whole-cloth as members of the communist bloc?

The eventual situation of the SGF in particular I think could be fascinating. What does the political situation of "Germany" in general add up to between the still-liberal NGF and the newly-forcibly-communist SGF after mixing in both countries' surviving fascists, recently defeated and demoralized but only all the more resentful for it?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
A brief update: April was exceptionally busy for me, so not much work was done on the next post and its art.

I’m back at it now, though— expect a short interlude update in the next week or so, and a proper update not long after that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Looking forward to it! Keep safe Empress Theonora.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Waiting with bated breath!

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

I know I asked some vague and complex questions about in-world politics, but I was trying to set myself up for:

"The Byzantine Communes are also a one-party state but, with typical Athenian extravagance, they have three of them."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

It's taking so long because Sharqi immediately aggroed Hindustan and it's tough to explain why we are fighting alongside the Randians.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I am dealing with some computer problems at the moment so it might be a little longer than I said until we get an update, sorry.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just wanted to say thanks for this amazing LP - I've only read this thread but will catch up on the whole of it at some point.

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 28, 2023

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mandatory bump

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Valeria by Ada Almási

Ada Almási was a Hungarian painter from the early 20th century. Despite living a secluded and discreet life, she is now considered an icon of LGBTQ+ artists and a precursor of the Surrealvisceralismo artistic current.

Born as [redacted] Almási in the outskirts of Debrecen to a farmer family, she attended the new National Arts Institute in Pest, where a promised career in the arts was dimmed by was then considered "homosexual tendencies." In 1932 she abandoned the Institute to elope and marry Jusztina Mágocsy, thanks to her legal documents presenting her as a man, and moved together to Mágocsy's homestown of Vámospércs. On Vámospércs she assumed the named Ada and lived as a housewife, on a small house with a yellow door and flowers on the windowsill, waiting every sunset for Jusztina to come up the road from the school.

In 1941 Vámospércs was occupied by Gallic forces. Jusztina was a school teacher and Ada did odd gardening jobs so they were well-enough liked. Still they heard rumors and hid in a neighbor's basement.

Two weeks later they were found by the Gallic Political Police. The couple feared Jusztina would be arrested as a "communist state employee" but only Ada was taken. She was roughly pushed into a black car and disappeared into the night.

The next morning Legate Matieu Philippon Corvus read a very long communiqué on the radio that asked the people of Hungary to be grateful to the Western Roman Empire and the Gallic Armed Forces, as they are in a vital and sacred venture to rid society of the stain of communism and the societal ills it begets like cultural degeneracy, sexual deviancy and ethnic miscegenation.

On November 6th, 1968, Jusztina Almási was found dead next to her window, covered in dry flowers. The doctors declared the cause of death to be heart failure. While clearing their house, the local constabulary found a hidden cellar with 68 art pieces by Ada, dated between 1930 - 1941.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Oh neat, another interesting contribution from the poster who brought us the glory of Rishma Sharqi!

:smith:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Man, if you think Maoists are annoying in our timeline, think about the Sharqists circa 2023 in this timeline.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Pacho posted:

Valeria by Ada Almási

Ada Almási was a Hungarian painter from the early 20th century. Despite living a secluded and discreet life, she is now considered an icon of LGBTQ+ artists and a precursor of the Surrealvisceralismo artistic current.

Born as [redacted] Almási in the outskirts of Debrecen to a farmer family, she attended the new National Arts Institute in Pest, where a promised career in the arts was dimmed by was then considered "homosexual tendencies." In 1932 she abandoned the Institute to elope and marry Jusztina Mágocsy, thanks to her legal documents presenting her as a man, and moved together to Mágocsy's homestown of Vámospércs. On Vámospércs she assumed the named Ada and lived as a housewife, on a small house with a yellow door and flowers on the windowsill, waiting every sunset for Jusztina to come up the road from the school.

In 1941 Vámospércs was occupied by Gallic forces. Jusztina was a school teacher and Ada did odd gardening jobs so they were well-enough liked. Still they heard rumors and hid in a neighbor's basement.

Two weeks later they were found by the Gallic Political Police. The couple feared Jusztina would be arrested as a "communist state employee" but only Ada was taken. She was roughly pushed into a black car and disappeared into the night.

The next morning Legate Matieu Philippon Corvus read a very long communiqué on the radio that asked the people of Hungary to be grateful to the Western Roman Empire and the Gallic Armed Forces, as they are in a vital and sacred venture to rid society of the stain of communism and the societal ills it begets like cultural degeneracy, sexual deviancy and ethnic miscegenation.

On November 6th, 1968, Jusztina Almási was found dead next to her window, covered in dry flowers. The doctors declared the cause of death to be heart failure. While clearing their house, the local constabulary found a hidden cellar with 68 art pieces by Ada, dated between 1930 - 1941.

:smith: :smith: :smith:

habeasdorkus posted:

Man, if you think Maoists are annoying in our timeline, think about the Sharqists circa 2023 in this timeline.

Sincere believers in the world’s most insincere ideology. Christ, since SA or something like it eventually exists in ByzLP, that SA’s version of LF must be somehow even worse than real LF.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Landshipies

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So what would the Posadists of ByzLP be?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TinTower posted:

That a nuclear holocaust will bring about the people who are making a game of their life and struggle for the purposes of making a vast epic to their world and uplift the people of Byzantium.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

TinTower posted:

The ideal society is world socialism fueled by the permanent revolution ... and Rome. In fact, ancient Roman philosophers fled to space where they have built the ideal communist state, a higher order society than the flawed communism on Earth. The peaceful nature of their utopia is preventing them from spreading true, Roman communism on Earth. Nuclear war is inevitable and we must annihilate the capitalist order with nuclear fire to clear the way for the Romans to return so we may join them in true, socialist interplanetary Rome; no price is too high to pay in order to achieve this goal.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a thousand Romes contend

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xerophyte posted:

The ideal society is world socialism fueled by the permanent revolution ... and Rome. In fact, ancient Roman philosophers fled to space where they have built the ideal communist state, a higher order society than the flawed communism on Earth. The peaceful nature of their utopia is preventing them from spreading true, Roman communism on Earth. Nuclear war is inevitable and we must annihilate the capitalist order with nuclear fire to clear the way for the Romans to return so we may join them in true, socialist interplanetary Rome; no price is too high to pay in order to achieve this goal.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

I think you misunderstood the question.

They asked - essentially - "What would be a weird belief within the context of the ByzLP universe be?"

Not, "What is an objectively correct description of our reality?"