Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to minimize the chances of having bad dreams? I've been having them pretty constantly lately and I'm sick of it.:( Also hi friends. I wasn't around for the last thing but it must have been pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Are these standard nightmares or PTSD-related?

Sorry for the delay on this but mine are very clearly "standard" stress and anxiety related. My anxiety is hardcore, brothers and sisters. It's not fun I'll tell ya.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm really struggling here guys.

Basically I was/am really self conscious about how expensive my laptop is gonna be. My parents have made me feel like money is scarce enough that it's in my head (even though I'd be looking for the machine to last me a long time and obviously I'd be using it a fuckton). I know that we're not that hard up for money for like a lot lot of reasons I won't get into because I think it's inappropriate and tacky but just trust me.

I just feel awful because I feel like I don't deserve it and like I'm imposing. It makes me feel like a piece of poo poo who is draining on them even though logically I know I'm not. I don't like it.

To clarify my parents need to pay for it because I'm not legally allowed to have that much money in assets in my bank account. America gently caress yeah. But I pay rent every month to help my parents out since I live at home in case anyone forgot my situation there.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 19, 2019

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

You could try to explain to them but from what I have heard parents just wouldn't understand.

You are a great poster. :)

But credit to both mom and dad. They treated this really well. I sent them a link to the config I was looking at with quote and Dad actually said I should double the memory I put in the machine. And apparently he came out and said to my mom, "It'll come out to $[x] and that's fine", and when I told Mom I felt awful she goes "What, with the contributions you make to this house?"

IDK where the gently caress that is most of the time but hey. They are being shockingly supportive on this one. :unsmith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'd wager we could crowdfund you a laptop.

The money isn't the issue, it's my brain. That said I'm a mess about something else. Now if I'm gonna get a custom build of the model I want, because of the Intel processor shortage, I could apparently be waiting until MARCH. I think there's a prepared one ready to ship with all the specs I want, but there's just something about the idea of getting a machine built for me that just feels so much better. But the security death of W7 is January 14, and it was one thing when I thought I might be waiting an extra couple weeks, but a month+ has me concerned. How much fire would I be playing with waiting it out?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Like, real talk, unless you're doing particularly risky stuff or are a specific target, probably not a *lot* but yeah get out of W7 ASAP. W10 is free. Just upgrade.

EDIT: I had my day ruined by this, so I'm spreading the wealth.

I thought W10 cost now? Also realtalk I think trying to upgrade my current machine to it might make it explode because that fucker is OLD.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

I think the biggest thing about BLOCKBUSTER OMG poo poo is taking them too seriously nowadays

Like I was introduced to Star Wars via grainy VHS tape and it was cool, but not life altering

I haven't watched any of the trailers or read the plots or reviews I'm just gonna go see a movie with my friends and maybe eat some pizza after. If the movie is bad, I still like my friends. Unless we start arguing about Mossad again, ugh.

I mean that people can have legitimate criticisms or enjoy or not enjoy the movies but we put too much importance behind crass to sell toys tier schlock

I agree with this man. I anticipate probably thinking Star Wars is pretty okay because I'm easy to please. That's just me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I ordered my laptop today thinking I could focus on getting it set up after Christmas because the site said 3-5 business days but it shipped right away and is getting here today and I don't like it because yeah I could just wait a couple days and try to relax but I'll feel like a bit of a tit leaving a brand new laptop just sitting in my house for a couple days. Blah.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Merry Christmas. I sincerely love you guys even if you hate my posts or wrestling opinions. :) Don't know what I'd do without this place.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the escape goat posted:

my dog Newt hopes you’re all going to have a great day and weekend and a great new year, all 366 days of it

That is a GREAT pup, right there my dude.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Happy New Year. I love you guys. I truly believe 2020 will kick rear end.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Let me just clarify this because it's not made immediately apparent. It's one editorial from a chode working for a loving business network.

That said this all legitimately has me thinking self destructive thoughts so I'm gonna try to distance myself from it for a while

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait has there been another new announcement? The last I saw was basically "FYAD is dead because it's bigoted trash, I was an idiot for giving so many chances, if you're mad you can't post slurs gently caress off" which, I mean yeah it's late but I wouldn't call it toothless.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I loving love your name here. I still laugh when I see it sometimes.

I mean, polyamory is right there. gently caress cheating.

Finally realizing that the mixture of emotions and urges and confusion about the way most relationships seem to work was actually polyamorous tendencies might be the best thing that's ever happened to me tbh. I definitely have some monogamous aspects but I don't understand the way some people monopolize or lock down love and attraction. Also I just realized I may not have told RR I'm poly (I did on Twitter tho) so yeah that's a thing.

Three out of the last four nights or thereabouts I've literally been up all night because my depression and anxiety leaves me unable to sleep. It's a real bitch.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is my first SA post on my new, non-dinosaur laptop. I still have some stuff to set up but I have taken many steps and it is very exciting to be on a machine I do not need to fear exploding. Yay.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's my birthday, I'm 33 years old, hooray

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Happy Birthday Foochs!

How'd the new computer end up working out?

Have it set up other than soft data transfer, and it seems pretty bitchin, thanks for asking. :)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

foochs is two months younger than me, but feels so much more wise and powerful. happy birthday

I am neither of those things, but thank you my good friend. :)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Drew McIntyre posted:

happy birthday to SamuraiFoochs
the guy with the fancy computer
and all the good looks

happy birthday to the biggest Moxley fan
he likes how he's tough
and married to a Canadian

happy birthday to the guy who gets mad
when i say Dean Ambrose sucks
and was always bad

happy birthday to the guy we all love
he's SamuraiFoochs
one of the few posters i would not get rid of

This is beautiful. :3:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

No Irish Need Imply posted:

nxt uk gave foochs a great PPV to celebrate :)

Except I couldn't watch it because our internet is down. :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Punch McLightning posted:

I’m an uncle for the third time as of today!

Edit: Happy Birthday Samurai Foochs! You’re a good poster and person.

A good birthday for the little one! :3:

Thank you all I love you all very much.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just wanted my dear friends to know I had a very good birthday because my partner was able to come see me and is also staying tomorrow. Best present ever. :) All of the well wishes from you all warmed my heart as well. Thank you all so much.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I'm closer still to my new laptop being set up but I'm noticing I'm typing at least a little bit slower. I'm hoping that that's just adjustment to the new machine and that the ergonomics to the keyboard aren't totally hosed compared to the old keyboard because boy howdy I like to be able to type things pretty quickly. I'll probably adjust, right? I mean, I used the other laptop for literally over ten years, there's probably going to be something of an adjustment period, or at least I'd like to think so. :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Within like six weeks, you'll be so used to your old keyboard that if you try to use your old familiar keyboard your muscle memory won't let you because brains are weird and magic.

And by old you mean new? :haw:

I guess what I'm saying is it stands to reason that I'm going to need to relearn some muscle memory for the new machine? Someone who switches laptops more often than I do would be able to speak better on this.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

I went through three different laptops in 2018. Then I spilled tea on this one, and sent it back to lenovo which involved replacing the keyboard, which changed the feel yet again! Unless you're having trouble with coordination (typing into the wrong keys, pausing to find your place) it may not be your muscle memory, but that kind of millisecond task assignment is super sensitive and you may not even notice.

It can simply be the new keyboard's membranes are stiffer, or you don't like the mechanism, or the flexibility of the keyboard. Do you find it softer or less responsive? Harder to press down? The tactile feedback could be different and you're re-learning, again, muscle memory. Or you might prefer softer feedback and need wear in time. Inversely I type immensely slower on my thinkpad than my stupidly expensive desktop keyboard simply because the keys are better. Some keyboards are just worse.

I'm absolutely having some coordination issues. It's a ThinkPad but it's a P53 Workstation so it's the nicest you can get in a laptop, pretty much. If I'm being honest I think it's 95%+ momentary coordination issues because it doesn't feel remotely worse than the other machine did once I get into the actual flow of the typing, if that makes sense. I'm also generally tired as gently caress mentally and moderately tired physically, plus I'm probably being hypervigilant in the sense that I'm looking for things that are different or "wrong" because I'm nervous about that being the case. I quite like the feel of the keys, so I know that's not the issue. It is a bit more spread out in terms of layout, but I think that's something that, if it is slowing me down to any great degree, I'll probably learn to compensate for in time (I'm a two-finger typist because cerebral palsy isn't conducive to ten finger typing).

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Everything is officially 100% set up. New machine LET'S GOOOOOO

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I'm gonna dip out. I forgot how toxic and mean this place is. I will miss certain folks here but... I'm so much happier off this forum. It's become a negativity circlejerk and I'd personally rather not.

It sucks that I am choosing to leave now that folks like me are finally being accepted on this forum, and I'm glad everyone else feels safer here. There's still along way to go but I love all of you and proud of your fight. I'll keep doing it on my side because I know you're doing it on yours :)

I don't know if you'll see this but you know how to find me, right buddy?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mekchu posted:

Who was being lovely/toxic to this poor goon? :(

If you like wrestling come to the sumo thread. We are cool and enjoy fat people shoving each other and are welcoming of everyone.

If I had to guess, it was probably in either the NXT or WWE thread. FFS everyone here calls WWE the Big Trump Fundraiser and while I do understand why, there's an element of "If you watch WWE and enjoy anything about it you're a fascist" and there has been on this sub for probably a couple years now. It started with the Saudi Arabia shows existing and has just gotten worse and worse as more of the people who choose not to focus on those things re: wrestling (in many cases because we get enough of it from other sources and use it as an escape) have chosen to avoid the threads if not leave the sub altogether. I've posted about WWE on this forum probably five times in the last year. There's a reason for that.It's not because I don't watch. It's even worse because a lot of the anti-WWE posters know what I do with my life and loving trust me, I'm not on board with WWE's politics, but people still gave me poo poo all the time and treated me like I was blind to the horrible aspects or flat out wrong for wanting to post about a wrestling show in a way that wasn't "LOL THIS SUCKS, BLOOD MONEY BOOTLICKERS TRUMP TRUMP NAZIS".

This concludes my post about posts.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

This thread is a positive place for people to talk about stuff other than wrestling (and especially not to talk about posting) and be nice to each other, so let's stick with that please.

Sorry, just wanted to answer the question but probably should have PM'd instead. My bad boss.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I can't stay mad (or get mad) at ya, Foochs :glomp:

I PM'd you a thing you'll likely enjoy :)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My new laptop is RAD AS gently caress and I'm so happy rn. The only thing I am moderately worried about in my life is that the one moderately big money (by standards of advocacy work payment, mind, not by any other metric) contract that I have is, if my math is right, down to two paydays left and I feel like a piece of poo poo for saying this but I want to get paid for my work and it doesn't happen nearly often enough and in a lot of ways this contract (it's two years total) has been really really good for me and has sort of indirectly subsidized a lot of other volunteer work that I do and I'm kinda scared that I won't make money anywhere near the level I have been when it's over and it makes me really scared because I signed a (non-exclusive) contract with a particular consulting group probably three years ago with the thought being they'd find work and bring me along but one of the partners just left and the other just had her second kid and I'm kinda like gently caress am I about to lose this work connection or what

I'm actually really scared professionally now that I type it all out like that. Everything else is pretty great though!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm crossposting this from the Disability Thread I made in TGRS because I want my prograps pals to know what I'm going through as well, if you dislike whining from me please feel more than welcome to ignore:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm having a rough time in my own right about something and want/need to type it out, if you don't want to read me :qq: feel free to skip this post.

I alluded to it earlier ITT but I'm deeply depressed professionally speaking. Almost all of my work is advocacy related. I've been on something like 5-10 committees at any given time since probably the age of 18 (turned 33 two weeks ago), I help facilitate a weekly book club for adults with intellectual disabilities, I go to legislative breakfasts and sit on panels about legislative matters as a concerned citizen and I go to rallies and have been on Boards of Directors for multiple non-profits and make speeches, y'all get the idea. But for all my work, I rarely get paid. It's better than it used to be because I've started asking for money more than I used to but I struggle, not so much in the sense of being financially destitute by any means, but just in the sense that like...well, everyone likes making money and feeling like they're worth something.

Advocacy is all I've ever known but I'm getting so loving tired of just being expected to volunteer but I ALSO feel an obligation to keep grinding because I feel like the world needs advocates but I also also really feel like my work isn't really accomplishing much so maybe I should just give up

gently caress

If you read that thank you, either way carry on, god bless

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I can only say that you served your time. If thinking of it as a tour of duty makes you feel better then by all means do.

That's the thing. I've been at least semi-professional advocate since the age of 16, and I've never stopped. By that metric, if it was a "traditional" job I'd be halfway to retirement right now. Problem is I don't get paid (enough) for that to even be a fraction of a fraction of the case. The other problem is, if I don't do this, then I don't know what to do. It's all I've ever known. Do I just let myself be lazy? Everyone wants me to go to grad school but gently caress that, they want me to go back for either law or a government job, neither of which I want for myself (not to mention I have no undergrad student debt, which is swell).

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Love you guys.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Magic posted:

I think that if you are the kind of person worrying about being lazy, you usually don’t need to worry about being lazy.

I expect that most of the time when you know what you want to do, nothing stops you—you just go out of your way to do it.

If you knew what you wanted, you’d do it. This might even be part of the issue: scouring your brain for whatever the solution might be. But if you knew, you’d already be doing it. That kind of scouring is its own blockage.

Let yourself not know what to do.

You're 100% right and I've never thought about it like that before. I was raised to just always be doing, that any one minor meeting or conference or whatever could change one's life, which isn't a terrible attitude from a positive lens, but is extremely toxic when it turns into "but this is why you must do the things".

Thank you all so much for the kind words, advice, and encouragement. It's exactly the kind of thing I needed.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

twitter nuked my account with no explanation so welp bye twitter

Foochs, you're doing God's work and should be proud as hell of what you've done and continue to do. CaptainMagic's advice is perfect.

Wait what? Why the he? Also it really is great advice.

Also my mom and I are in a vicious cycle. She wants me to go to a Disability Policy Summit in DC. Not a terrible idea on the face of it but here's the thing. We'd be paying to go (unless something changes) and I'm like God damnit I refuse to live my life paying to be a loving poster boy. It's bullshit.

She was like "I was talking to [this lady she and I know] and she thinks you'd be great" and my response was "Okay, yeah, great for what?' and she was like they do interviews and record videos and stuff. So I'm thinking okay, so in other words I'm continuing to whore out my likeness for free.

She has such a boner for anything related to DC because that's where SHE wants me to be. And I've told her over and over again that that's not my life. She's convinced I need to work a government job which would make me absolutely miserable.

We're in this vicious cycle where she believes I need to continue to volunteer in order to get work, whereas my opinion is if I keep volunteering I'm never going to get work because people will just take for granted that they can get me for free.

Oh and by the way, if I did go to the DC thing at best I'd turn around, leave from three days in DC and immediately go to the penultimate meeting (I think) of the thing I'm actually getting paid for. Seems insane to me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

sounds less stressful tbh

Unironically probably a wash at worst.

Not even joking.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

put up some flyers

I needed this laugh. Bless you. Mom's still banging on about the DC thing and I've said unless we can get at least 75% expenses covered, I sleep, but she's saying she'd settle for half covered I'm like STOP IT she's like you wouldn't be paying for it anyway I'm like I DON'T CARE. I need to be thinking about it as though every bit of it is my direct investment. I don't think we'll be able to get it covered at all anyway so whatever, but it's the principle of the thing.

Also there's a legislative breakfast on Saturday to which I am going to but I need to get up at the rear end crack of dawn (by my standards) for it. Typically I put on some podcasts and sleep in the car on the way to these things because I need the energy but now we're driving not one but two extra people which basically means no sleep for me. :smith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

yea ok posted:

i liked 1917 i'll admit it

It seems really technically impressive but also a very tough watch. Glad you enjoyed it though!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hug your loved ones, friends

Did anything happen to someone you love? :( I hope not friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

Harley Quinn's a good animated series that does some pretty close to the knuckle humor. I enjoy the gently caress out of it.

Also the animated version of Batman's HUSH is way better than the comic version.

The Birds of Prey film looks great, so does the Wonder Woman sequel. But I'm pretty much down for whatever as long as they stop doing terrible poo poo like Suicide Squad. I liked the batman stuff, but the superman stuff was pretty terrible. So yeah, make me some good live action movies you bastards.

Haven't watched animated Harley yet. I should get on that huh?

Also I liked Hush a lot but the twist they put in the movie version was awful, IMHO.

This is the last time I'll rant about this today, I promise. But if my mom tells me one more God forsaken time that I should look at a situation where I'm working AT COST TO ME as an "opportunity for networking or to expand my resume" I'm going to lose my mind. I'm not a college kid anymore. I've been in the game and paying dues over 15 years. loving Boomer rear end bullshit.