Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Hey what VPN is everybody using? Somebody brought up good options a while back.

What are you trying to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Don't use Private Internet Access:

https://torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-to-be-acquired-by-kape/

Kape used to be an advertiser and installed malware on machines. Their CTO used to run Mt. Gox, the bitcoin exchange.

NordVPN got breached and didn't disclose for a very long time:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/hackers-steal-secret-crypto-keys-for-nordvpn-heres-what-we-know-so-far/

You can always roll your own with Algo and a Digital Ocean subscription:

https://github.com/trailofbits/algo

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

yea ok posted:

it was my birthday yesterday. i didnt say anything because i didnt want a bunch of people to say stuff like 'happy bday' or 'you were always my favorite poster'. i'm really humble in that way.

I hope you had a good day.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm considering writing an autobiography in an effort to be able to commodify my story since so many people rave about my writing and how "inspiring" and whatever else my life's journey has been.

OTOH I'm unsure because it seems like something a self-indulgent trash person would do, and it might be terribly written, uninteresting bullshit.

Write it because you want to do it?

If anyone else reads it, it's a bonus?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cavauro posted:

i died in the first battles of final fantasy tactics back in the 90s and never came close to beating it and never played it again after the year 1999. i just pretend like i know how good of a game it is

Same.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

this curry I just made is too hot. Hot Curry.

No such thing :shrug:

TV Zombie posted:

So the Initial D series that was on Prime was actually not the series but a movie titled "Initial D Legend 1: Awakening" and drat, that was thrilling and the only real action scenes were, arguably, two car races/ It makes me wonder what I was doing/watching when this anime was released and subtitled.

They did a retelling of season 1 a few years ago in 3 different movies. That's the first one. I haven't checked in awhile but I think the original series is on hulu except season five and six (I think they called this final stage). If not, season 1, 2, and 4 are on funimation's youtube page subbed. Season 3 is a movie and probably on youtube but not officially.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

I have to show up for potential jury duty and i'm scared any advice? personally I don't believe in incarceration so I hope they'll just not want me.

Bring a book or something to do while you're waiting. There's a chance they won't call you at all.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone play Children of Morta? It's on sale for switch and it looked interesting.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Shard posted:

Was just told I'm getting a promotion and a pay increase of more than $1 per hour that I didn't even apply for and they are sending me home to work from home for the foreseeable future. Well. Ok then 2020. Thanks for that I guess lol.

Congrats!

For all my friends working from home now....

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Artelier posted:

This is way too real!

And Malaysia is joining in too. Hello work from home friends what media are you going to consume these next few weeks?

I signed up for stitcher premium. Going to burn through a lot of podcasts.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

coconono posted:

if anyone has good recommends for emulators on my I can run on my Mac. I'm currently playing around with OpenEMU but it doesn't have a real robust cheat engine support for all the platforms it emulates. And even then its only premade stuff, no tools to roll your own cheats. I remember one of the modded PSP firmwares had a real sweet cheat engine bit that'd let you search and monitor value changes, which is super useful when you're trying to find the memory offset that represents how much money you have. I want something like that.

e: oop I found something on github. TIME TO COMPILE A MOTHERFUCKER. https://github.com/xlc/iHaxGamez

Are you looking to emulate anything in particular?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cavauro posted:

what's the best anime thing on hulu or netflix.

I'm a little late to anime chat but I really liked Hi Score Girl. It's a love letter to the arcade and gaming scene in Japan in the 90's.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Should I collect baseball cards? Should I be a baseball boy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQrmiqr7Fg

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

coconono posted:

I threw a housewarming party and one of my friends catered it. We all went to my back yard to smoke cigarettes and debate the merits of sleeping with each other. Went back inside and Toven was standing on the dining table eating whatever he pleased. Looked at us and said “what, I thought you were done?”

Homeboy went HAM on the carrots and ranch dressing.

Rip you wonderful rear end mutt

Sorry for your doggo. He sounds like he was a good boy.

This was my dog. He crossed the rainbow bridge about a year ago. Early on, we learned that we had to push the kitchen chairs in otherwise we would find him up on the table. He figured out how to get on top of the table but he never quite figured out how to get down.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

Can anyone recommend some good action movies without sex scenes, or bikini’s/strip clubs in them.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Five Deadly Venoms

Jiro posted:

The first 3 Rambo movies, no Steven Segal movie ever, Kickboxer, Bloodsport, Chocolate, Ong Bak, the Boyka movies of Undisputed, all the John Wick movies, Hard Boiled, Pray for Death, Kill Crazy, Sudden Death, Fast and Furious 4-7

You're totally right J-ru neeeeeever mind on that.

Doesn't Bloodsport have an odd sex scene between Van Damme and the reporter?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

what’s everyone’s favorite mushroom

i like chanterelles they’re pretty and taste pretty

Thank you for reminding me to put mushrooms on the grocery list.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Rewatching First Blood.

Hot drat this flick moves like a cannonball. Forty-five minutes before it even takes a breath!

What other movies are out there that move like this and stay good the whole time?

The Rock?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've listened to way too much Wu Tang lately so I watched the 36th Chamber of Shaolin today.

That movie is fantastic. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Oh my god!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

In Dragon Quest XI you can pet cats, dogs, horses and also cows. A good game. Also the cows tell you what the weather is going to be like.

You should always get to pet the animals.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

NienNunb posted:

So I'm not gonna get Outer Worlds, after what everyone has said and the fact that it's weirdly short (which is the absolute opposite of what I'm looking for here). That being said, what PS4 games WOULD y'all recommend? Looking for something conceptually similar to my preconceived idea of what Outer Worlds, something that's long and with a decent amount of poo poo to do. Every store I go to doesn't have Final Fantasy 7 or else I'd go for that.

RDR2?
Fallout 4?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Me to friend, three months ago: “hey you helped exacerbate my wife’s drinking problem, we shouldn’t really have to do anything with each other unless we can talk about that and move past it together”
Friend: I REFUSE. ALSO I AM ALLOWED TO TALK WITH YOUR WIFE STILL BUT YOU CANNOT TALK NOT TO MEEE
so she has like PTSD and claims I remind her of her horribly abusive father? After being friends for ten years and then lying to me for a few months, this is when that gets brought up. But I’m trying to be compassionate so
okay we try that for three months and it is really stressful
Me to friend: hey this isn’t working, we haven’t reconciled at all and it seems like you are insinuating I am abusing my wife; that’s just me being crazy, right?
Friend: NO THAT IS CORRECT THATS WHAT I THINK
Wife: oh uh we shouldn’t really talk then until this is all addressed and sorted between you two
F(r)iend: YOU CANT QUIT YOU ARE FIRED
Wife: wut
Fiend: YOU ARE BLOCKED DO NOT TALK TO MEEE

this is a real thing I’ve been doing. Seems over now. Wtf y’all.

That sucks, I'm sorry.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Dangerous Person posted:

I like Hi Score Girl

Same. It made me nostalgic for a time I never lived in.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've been meaning to subscribe to the Criterion Channel so I could binge all the Godzilla movies they have.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I heard he was caught Fred handed.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
This sounds interesting. How does one watch this Harley Quinn cartoon?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I discontinued all of my wrestling-related subs after the whole Speaking Out thing. I'm not sure if I'll ever watch again.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Kvantum posted:

Been in a big depression lately. Hating my job with a passion the last couple of months but I know how drat lucky I am to even still have a job to hate. Ugh. Just a bad change in climate at this place. We used to be a 12-person shop where my desk was 20 ft. from the COO's door who was my direct boss. Now I report to a guy who reports to a guy who reports to my old boss and the former COO is now our "Chief Evangelist" who's maybe in town two days a month... Not that were in the office anymore, but still. Also doubleplus ungood business jargon replacing actual English at a rapid pace. Sprints and meetings about cards and blockers and... I think I'm just too drat old for IT anymore :(

Do you work in an "agile" shop?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Lid posted:

help my loving brain hurts

Who is that? I know the guy on the receiving end is Fascade.

Edit:

Is that Louis Lyndon?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Lid posted:

Flip Kendrick a man I have never heard of

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=5633&page=4

Oh, that's his brother. Louis Lyndon and Flip were common in some of the midwest Indies. I saw Flip mostly in AIW in the 6 person scrambles.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Lamuella posted:

After moving a sofa upstairs around a winding staircase I have come to the conclusion that should we ever move we will simply burn it.

Setting the sofa on fire would take away the problem of getting it downstairs and give me a different problem instead.

Or hire movers (totally worth it).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Seth Rollins posted:

so do the transformers have sex or what

I think there were transformer babies in Revenge of the Fallen.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

will definitely look into this. i am highly unintelligent, not even a high school graduate so coding may not be something that my mind is capable of understanding but i do want to give it a shot. my math skills are pretty low, i don't know my times tables etc, but my memory is ok for other things so maybe i can figure it out.

You can almost always use google for things you don't know.

In a similar vein, I was not very good at computer programming. Turns out, I am good at breaking software and found software testing. If you end up enjoying working with computers but not the computer programming part, might be worth looking into.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does Doom (2016) count as horror?

I went "oh gently caress" after the cyberdemon got up after killing them the first time

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I remember not liking Marie Antoinette when I saw it in theaters. I also saw the Ninja Turtles movie as a double feature with Guardians of the Galaxy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Grabbed All Star Superman because of the last page or so. Is All Star Batman from 2016 - present? Was going to look into that too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Shard posted:

I'm so thankful to be able to spend time with my grandpa but it's just so sad to see him in the state he's in. He's 84 and he's pretty good but he seems like he is in constant pain. It's weird - mixed emotions. I love him and am happy to be able to spend this much time with him at the end of his life but its also just sad to see him in so much pain. I dunno I'm rambling

I feel for you so much. My dad is starting to show more and more signs of early signs of dementia. It's hard seeing him sometimes. It's very hit or miss if he's going to be in a good mood or not.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Got a new cat, paying the cat tax now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Shard posted:

Yes but how does three stand up to the original 1 and 2 and then the 1st remakes of 1 and 2?

Has any series remade the same games as much as Yakuza?

Pokemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I really loved REC and the sequel. The American remakes aren't nearly as good.