Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Drew McIntyre posted:

2. do not talk about Star Wars: The Last Jedi

whhat the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I seem to have misplaced the lid of my small pot. I don't understand where I could've put it and am getting extremely mad about it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Still no sign of the lid. What the gently caress

Edit: I FOUND THE LID, and with it, a powerful reminder of my own stupidity. It was inside a bigger pot that had its lid on.

Edit2: I'm going to try making dango today. It's very exciting. But first I need to study for the finals ugh

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 15, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

They should combine Gremlins and Goblins and make Groblins

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's a kind of related, occasionally reoccurring dream. One day I realize that there's always been a door in my apartment that I've never opened before and it leads to a secret world. Or I'm taking the subway and accidentally go past the terminus, and it leads to somewhere unexpected - in some dreams it's been a new part of Helsinki I've never heard of, sometimes a city in a different country and sometimes an entirely new, perhaps fantastical place.

I kind of love those dreams, honestly. They remind me of stuff like Spirited Away - where different worlds and places and secrets are hidden juuust outside of our sight. You see a glimpse of something in the corner of your eye, turn to look but there's nothing out of the ordinary there. But in those dreams and stories those glimpses are the other world bleeding through into our reality.

Maybe my favorite movie scene of all time is the train scene in Spirited Away. I'm sure you could interpret the scene in endless ways, especially since the film so deliberately explains precisely none of it, but one of my ideas about is that the train exists in a place between the human and the spirit world. It is real in both, and the shadows you see are people lost in their thoughts while travelling, the spirits and maybe the memories of the dead (seeing as a big theme in the film is forgetting - Chihiro forgetting her name and her parents, people forgetting about amusement parks and what they stood for, people forgetting the spirits and the spirit world). I dunno, I haven't really fleshed out that thought that much. Why did the train use to go both ways but doesn't anymore? What is the endless shallow sea it seems to go through? Etc. Etc. In any case it's incredibly beautiful and just about makes me cry every time I see it and I don't even know why, and it (and Spirited Away + of course other stories too) remind me of those dreams.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 16, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I wrote a pretty crappy but probably passable didactics of physics and chemistry exam and am now watching a D-tier Ghibli film (Ocean Waves) and eating discount cold cuts because I don't feel like cooking lunch. One more final on Wednesday and then I'll be halfway through these studies. In half a year I'll have the qualifications I want and need. Looking forward to not being insanely broke 100% of the time

Hope your Monday is going well whether you're just getting up, going to bed or, like me, are doing or have done whatever it is you're supposed to do today.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Every Ghibli movie ranking listicle I've seen either ranks Ocean Waves near the bottom or doesn't include it at all (since it's a TV film) but I found it a perfectly solid 70-min slice of student life. Nowhere near as bad as Tales from Earthsea but also nowhere near the top of the Ghibli films. Don't regret watching it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Papers, Please. An experience unlike anything else I've ever had in any medium of art and entertainment. No other game forces you to become an inhumane piece of poo poo like that game does - subtly pressuring you to perform more efficiently and less ethically so that the people that depend on you don't suffer the consequences of your mistakes, until at some point you realize you've become something you swore you would never be. It is truly video games as art: Via the medium of sort of boring and monotonous yet uniquely interesting gameplay mechanics it makes you feel extremely complex emotions about humanity and ethics as well as reflect on what kind of person you really are, deep down. I guess unless you're a really horrible person who genuinely enjoys doing what that game makes you do, in which case I never want to speak with you.

Its message was relevant then and feels even more relevant now, and with the effects of climate change will probably be even more relevant decades later. It's a game I wish everyone would play once without knowing what they're getting into.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 16, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

CarlCX posted:

I regularly cite this as the low-key most important game of the decade in terms of showcasing the artistic power of games as a medium to relay emotional and intellectual experiences purely through mechanics and feel it is sorely underrated, however

i have 456 hours in isaac and 811 hours in rebirth, so.

Yeah I mean not gonna lie, I've also played an absolutely absurd amount of Binding of Isaac and completed the game to the absolute max % on two platforms. It's not far behind for me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I played PP once and never could bring myself to again, and not because I didn’t find it good. If Grave of the Fireflies is considered the best movie you’ll never want to watch again, Paper’s Please is that to me for video games.

I wanted to revisit the game recently and noticed it's also one of those games that really don't benefit from a second go-around. It's at its best when you're genuinely struggling to spot discrepancies and remembering everything you need to remember, because then the pressure is really on you and every citation you get hurts. The sound of that awful pink slip of paper emerging from the bottom of the screen is imprinted into my soul.

That game made me really deeply question what kind of person I would be if push came to shove. Congrats, game.

Oh hey, another game that I could consider for GOTD because it was was incredible and resurrected an entire genre but should never be played a second time: TTG Walking Dead Season 1. The sleight of hand tricks it plays on you are sublimely executed to make you feel like you're the one making the decisions and thus makes you emotionally connect with the game's characters and story like not many other games manage to. I was bawling my eyes out at the end. Too bad the subsequent seasons never got to even remotely close to that level and then TTG asploded because they got stupidly greedy

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Last of Us is also a really good call yeah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Also talking about this somewhere else and a good point came up: Probably the most important game in terms of influential game design this decade might just be Dark Souls. That game's influence is everywhere in modern action games. And sure, Demon's Souls came first but Dark Souls was a hit.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Even ME1? That game is a slog and a half to get through.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

I watched Ponyo Near the Cliff and I'm not sure what I expected but it didn't match it and I didn't like it as much as I wanted.

That's one of the Ghibli films I haven't seen yet but got the DVD from a friend. There's a reason I've never gone out of my way to see it (that reason is it doesn't sound particularly great).

When I've watched the four movies I got from him this time around, there'll only be six Ghibli movies I won't have seen. Lupin III, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, Yamadas, Arrietty, From Up On Poppy Hill.

I'm proud to say I saw Boro The Caterpillar at the Ghibli museum, even if it wasn't one of Miyazaki's best

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

drat it I missed the chance to talk about video games.
My game of the decade and possibly my favorite game of all-time is Skyrim. If you ask me why I prefer Skyrim to New Vegas I can only give you two feasible answers.
1) New Vegas's map is designed to herd you in a counterclockwise direction along the map. Which is absolutely not what I want in an open-world RPG.
2) Beyond that minor detail, I don't really know. It's just one of those things where my knee-jerk reaction is always 'Skyrim' when I ask myself that question.
Obviously New Vegas gets a very honorable mention along with Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Fire Emblem: 3 Houses

I see what you mean by picking Skyrim as GOTD but personally, the more I've had time to think about Skyrim, the less I like it. It's the definition of "wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle", especially when it comes to the quest design as well as character and storyline writing, which are like the most important aspects of an RPG. Pretty much all of the major storylines apart maybe from the Dark Brohood are pathetically thin and banal. Well, the Dragonborn DLC was very good too.

Don't get me wrong, I spent ages with that game and platinumed it and 100% its DLCs. Here's where I think the game succeeded:

1) Streamlining RPG mechanics smartly to a point where you'd have to be a real moron or want to prove a point to make a truly unplayable build while still having enough genuinely viable options to tailor your character to a gameplay style you like or to a character you want to roleplay as (even if the quests rarely give you space to roleplay).
2) Extremely strong art direction where I honestly think the last-gen base game still holds up quite well. Sure, the textures are rough to look at close range now and there are some truly questionable animations, but as a whole I'd say they really pulled off the look they were going for.
3) As always with Bethesda, excellent environmental storytelling. All the tiny, environmental stories and mini-quests, dialogues, books and letters, combined with the visual design like architecture etc. make that world feel like a real, lived-in place.

It's a world I'd like to revisit again, but... not necessarily take part in the stories, really.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 17, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

coconono posted:

I have, through careful examination, have determined that all the Indian TV shows on netflix are loving terrible. Pretty actors stuck in contrived plots because no one can sit down and talk like a normal person.

ended up watching the live action of Mob Psycho 100. Which is also terrible but at least I can sorta identify with the telepathy club chick wanting to kick Mob's rear end.

I trust you've watched the actual Mob Psycho 100? poo poo's amazing (well, I didn't like the ending of season 2 that much. That series most definitely shouldn't have devolved into ANIME BEAMZ)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

As far as I know without having seen it, the live action version basically misunderstands the entire point AND joke of Mob joining the Body Improvement Club instead of the lovely Telepathy Club, which is like one of the most important parts of the entire story.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Skyrim but with the guild quest lines of Oblivion would be a great game. All the guilds in Skyrim was like do 5 quests and now you’re the boss. You could become the most powerful person in all spheres of society in like a week of in-game time

Yeah, and also Skyrim has that thing I believe Fallout 4 also had (don't have a current-gen console or a good PC so haven't played it) where the game desperately wants you to experience absolutely everything it has with a single character. AND in Skyrim at least the world doesn't react to your achievements in any way apart from random people going "wow u seem like a big time wizard". Like you become the loving archmage and kill a world-devouring dragon and the people in the Companions still treat you like you're some piece of poo poo nobody if you haven't touched their questline yet. Maybe it's like WWE lol

Compare that to, say, New Vegas where your choices will lock you out of certain options and even entire stories. Some people will hate you for what you've done regardless of what you do. Because not every character in games like these should be able to do everything and be the beloved king/queen of every single person in the world.

There is, by my count, one emotionally impactful storyline decision to be made in Skyrim: Do you kill the friendly cool dragon Paarthurnax because some old gently caress told you to or not. And that too has next to zero effect on anything in the game

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 17, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sorry for making GBS threads on your favorite game by the way, ChrisBTY. It's just that I know people who'd say the same as you, but, while I hopefully made clear that I do in fact like Skyrim to some extent, nowadays I can't help but see the glaring problems in it. Bethesda turning out to be a real piece of poo poo company in the recent years also doesn't help I guess

Of course I also realize that favorite =/= best

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 17, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The lasT HHGTTG film was disappointing because the casting was on fuckin POINT but man that movie just didn’t work at all

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Oof the new Star Wars is an incoherent mess that seems designed to appeal solely to 40 year old men who hated The Last Jedi

That's pretty much what I'm hearing. Might just skip it since I'm broke as hell month to month anyway currently.

Like it sounds there's good stuff to be found there but dunno if I can justify spending 13 € or whatever it is big blockbuster movie tickets cost nowadays.

Edit: Holy poo poo it's 16.9 € :stare: Just a few months ago I went to see what, seven older, non-blockbuster movies for like 7 € a pop

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 20, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

You shouldn't pay money to support bad things

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

gently caress Cancer.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

yea ok posted:

it got better.

Watched it on a plane earlier this year and felt the same way. Went into it not knowing anything about it apart from it supposedly being great and Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross doing its (v. good) soundtrack and ended up loving it. The slow buildup to the thing and the second half of the movie are legit brilliantly done

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 21, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Got a movie ticket from my grandma. What's currently good in the cinemas? The Lighthouse still seems to run, I understand that poo poo's supposed to be dope

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I meant unironically good

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Knives Out is being screened basically next door in four-ish hours, think I’m gonna go catch that. Grandma’s gonna be going to bed around then too so I don’t have to keep her company. But first I gotta bake this Christmas ham

Edit: Lol actually can’t because the free ticket can’t be used until the 25th

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 22, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Easily the worst thing about spending Christmas with my grandma: 24/7 Jesus radio

I've been here for less than 24 hours and I'm already losing my mind

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Stop making me want to see Cats

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I have never watched a single Mission Impossible film and have zero interest in seeing any of them

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

I miss reading books and the time and attention span needed to read books.

Just start doing it again friend! You can do it!

My various obsessions come and go in waves. When I was in university I barely read anything for fun because I had to read insane amounts of awful rear end German scientific texts which sucked all joy out of reading for me. Directly after I graduated I started reading again (and also sort of had to relearn how to read for fun) and consumed tons of books between 2017-2018. This year I've read MUCH less but that's because I started learning Japanese, and I've spent so much time on that (including watching movies and anime and poo poo) that it wasn't until the last quarter of the year that I picked up a book for real again. This was mostly because in the children's literature course I was doing had us picking some children's literature from a legit great list. Currently reading my 12th novel since October, concentrating on reading a lot of Finnish female authors I hadn't read before. Been trying to fit in reading whenever I've got idle time: On the subway and the bus, just before going to bed instead of browsing the internet etc.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My Christmas is all trad Finnish stuff whether I like it or not. And I do but I can't imagine eating like this more than for that one week a year. Christmas time always means explosive shits and a hurt butt for an entire week.

This year it's my task to help grandma with the cooking. She insists on serving a traditional Christmas meal to all her kids who can come on Xmas Day but can't do it alone. Usually it's my mom, brother and me but this year my brother is abroads and mom can't make it here until tomorrow. I've cooked more Christmas hams in the last three years than my mom in her life combined - and I don't even really eat meat.

I can't help but think this might be the last time. Grandma ain't gonna get any better anymore, she's nearly 90.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NienNunb posted:

Movies, on the other hand, are benevolent and pure

Cats

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hope everyone here has at least a couple of days off to hang out with the people that matter the most and eat something nice. I don't know you but I'm gonna go out on a freaking limb here and say you've earned it.

It's 1:20 AM on Christmas Day here and here I am, lying in bed and thinking about how excited I was last year around this time because I was going to Tokyo for the first time in just a few days. Man, so much stuff has happened since then. Anyway, I miss that & hanging out with wrestlegoons in Japan. Hope the world doesn't explode yet next year so we can do it again.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hi it's the evening of the 25th and my grandma was already tired and going to bed so I figured I might as well go to the cinema now. Seeing Knives Out in 20 mins. If it's not good I'm personally coming to kick the asses of everyone ITT

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 25, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jackie D posted:

It's good

I'm here to confirm that it was indeed Good and Well Done and very Americanly Entertaining. Nothing mindblowing but a fun old school murder mystery movie. I give it a "I'll only whoop your rear end gently when I meet you" out of five

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NienNunb posted:

What the heck do you use $35 worth of iTunes gift cards for in loving 2019?

Movies you can't find on the streaming sites you've subscribed to.

I recommend Hirokazu Kore-eda's films if you're up for Japanese sadness

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I posted something about reading a couple of days ago! Reading is insanely good & owns.

I'm about to go to bed and like literally (LITERALLY) a minute ago finished Riikka Pulkkinen's "Vieras" ("The Book of Strangers") which I felt was her weakest novel thus far. I read her books because I want to feel soul-rending emotion but this one's themes of faith and not belonging just didn't click with me at all. Her first novel "Raja" ("The Limit") remains her best in my opinion, still got one to go, though. Dunno if I can start and finish it before the year's end.

One of the courses I've done this past half a year was on children's literature in school. I have so many new ideas and concepts for encouraging kids to read more, I'm excited to find out how they work when I start teaching again next August. Unfortunately reading is less and less popular amongst kids nowadays, especially boys. This needs to change, because reading books is literally, genuinely life-changing in various ways.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 27, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Recommend me a Dick book.

Coming up on my list is some William Gibson. I have shamefully never read even Neuromancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm here to inform you about the secret real meaning of Christmas: Snacking on Christmas dinner leftovers at something past midnight two days after Christmas day. Drinking beer with your cool rear end cousins you get to see far too seldom is optional but preferable.