Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Drew McIntyre, I am going to kick your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

I saw the new Star Wars.

I really didn't like it at all :smith:

It had some cool stuff in it, but it did the thing I didn't want it to do (I suspect this is the thing you also didn't want it to do) and that just put a bad taste in my mouth for the entire movie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

I'm guessing it's the reveal that Rey has super-special bloodline divine right bullshit hereditary explanations for her power with the Force after all? Because yeah I absolutely loathed that they did that, even in spite of later attempts in the film to say oh but your bloodline/hereditary doesn't matter! when they were the ones who made it a thing in the first place.

Ugh.

Basically, just the movie in general telling Last Jedi to go gently caress itself. So, yeah.

Blast Fantasto posted:

What I really disliked was all of the jabs at The Last Jedi. Like, if you want to ignore that movie - fine. But don’t turn your entire film into this weird spite-fueled thing that now can’t stand on its own.

Up to a certain point it feels like Abrams going "gently caress this, I had my own plans and I'm doing them." but the movie does Rose so dirty for no reason that by that point it really does feel like spite.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

they should keep alternating between rian and jj and really plumb the depths of pettiness

By Episode 11, Rose does nothing but walk headfirst into a wall and piss herself. By Episode 12, she's surpassed everybody else to become the main character and she's a Force God that's strong enough to destroy the new planet killing superweapon The Galaxy Fucker 7000 with her amazing rose-colored lightsaber.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Start your year of the rat the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAXioRNYy4s

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Slay the Spire is one of the best games I've ever played, but also, gently caress Slay the Spire.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't beat The Heart as Ironclad and it's driving me up a loving wall. I managed it as Silent. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
wtf, Kobe. :(

How in the world can NBA actually still play games today?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
1917 out here trying to one up Finn Balor and I don't approve.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lindsay Ellis is always a pro click.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CobiWann posted:

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't care for Lindsay Ellis. Her videos make me feel less informed and more like I'm being lectured to, this sense of "how dare you enjoy this obviously flawed thing."

Honestly, I've always felt kinda the opposite, I think she can articulate why something is creatively flawed or problematic and why you should be aware of it but that doesn't mean you can't still like it.

I mean, her favorite Disney villain is Hades and that, uh. Is a bit fraught.

Spikegal posted:

Can anyone recommend a good VPN program to use?

If you wanna go buy most youtube sponsorships, gotta be Nord.

On that note, hey guys, lemme just take a break from this thread for a second so I can tell you about Raid Shadow Legends.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dangerous Person posted:

So happy about the reveal at the end of the new Fast & Furious trailer that I'm not even mad that they put it in the loving trailer

I was like "Wow, this looks crazy, maybe I'll go see it." and then they spoiled the entire plot and showed what I'm sure are all of the coolest stunts and now it's like.

I feel like I've seen it already.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My friend and I watched up to the ending of season....2? Of Good Place? Where they're in the whole "hey, what if you hadn't died" simulation thing.

I guess now's the time to start catchin' up, huh. When'll the last season be on Netflix?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mekchu posted:

Have you considered that Ed Woods actually made Hades way better than he ought to have been?

I mean, you basically can't argue against that. Hades was going to be a very bog standard dry, menacing Disney villain and it probably would've sucked and then James Woods came up with something totally different and it pretty much saves that movie.

Just that he's kind of a very bad person outside of that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm all for buying mocking avatars for people to support the Keep Lowtax's Spine Intact Foundation (which is why my incredible posting encourages people to buy so many for me, clearly), but geez, people, at least don't make them actively unpleasant to look at.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, it's much better now. :goodshit:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

The only example I can think of is Super Mario 2. In Japan they released Super Mario 2 in 1986 and it was just a new set of levels in the style of the first game. We didn't see that games in the US until 1993 when it was included in Super Mario All-Stars as "The Lost Levels". It was considered too hard for western gamers at launch.

Super Mario 2 also wasn't very good and Doki Doki Panic was a much better game that if I recall correctly, Miyamoto was more directly involved with than SM2 anyway?

Like I get what they went for with SM2, it was a game that was meant to be played by people that had been playing Super Mario Bros every day and give those players new challenges but it has a bunch of stupid poo poo in it. It's like a Proto-Kaizo, except without save states.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spikegal posted:

Super Mario 64 was great when it came out and aged horribly since. Most games for the 64 have.

I'm not even a very big Mario fan (Sonic4life) but Mario 64's movement system holds up insanely well and is still one of the best for a 3D platformer ever devised.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spiderdrake posted:

Are we archenemies over the Sonic thread I forget

I am also sonic4life though, to me no modern mario game approaches the pure joy that is mania

Friend, I will never be enemies with another Sonic fan. Unless you liked Sonic 4.

Cavauro posted:

never liked the original sonics because as a platformer it doesn't exist and as an enjoyable speed rush game it keeps loving with you every 1-3 seconds. and then after those games when they went 3d sonic became so low rent, lovely, muddy looking and muddy controls. piece of sh*tnic

Sonic 1 is a great first level and then it's honestly kind of a really weird, janky, bad game, but Sonic 2 and 3 are loving awesome and I disagree with your analysis!!!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really need a new avatar, but of the two incredible, handsome, champions of the people that I love, I dunno whether it should be Tetsuya Naito or Bernie Sanders. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NienNunb posted:

No mods no masters, let's talk about Star Wars The Last Jedi

Was good imo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Also it's weird that in these uncertain times where everyone is freakin' out man!!! someone would choose to do some weird april fools that makes it look like the place they go to escape the freak out is also crumbling from the inside

Genuinely not tryin' to be a downer about a silly joke but read the room, ya know

A bunch of youtubers I follow did April Fools Jokes today that were just, like, cute funny jokes in video format. Even 4chan, which is by all measures a horrible website did some goofy thing where people's posts turn green. SA doing some elaborate fiction where there was a fake war between the people running the site and at least a few people were trying to make it look like Lowtax was just gonna delete the site is uh, putting it politely, really loving amazingly stupid.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Caught between "Dude had a critically acclaimed acting career while he was getting treated for cancer. What an absolute badass." and "gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress. gently caress THIS."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay which thread do we discuss our subforum wide fundraiser to buy the most stuff in the store so that FIGHT ISLAND can be the ones to put lowtax down for the 1-2-3, brother.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm at a fabulous vacation at the Universal Resort and the amusement park RSF is gone so I'm going to inflict my thoughts on *turns around in a circle and points at the crowd* EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU PEOPLE!!!!

Revenge of the Mummy: This is the only ride I did twice. It's loving awesome, way cooler than the one in Hollywood. I assume this is the dark ride that all dark rides aspire to be, the presentation was top notch, the fire and water effects were great, there were thrills! And chills! I'm gonna do this one a few more times, easy. ****1/2
Transformers: The Ride: Exact same as it is in Hollywood. It's fine, but not very exciting. Only really worth doing once. ***
Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl: This was just a silly little kids ride, but the voice acting was fun. Worth doing once. ***
Men in Black: Alien Attack: My score on this one fuuuuuuckin' sucked, but it was fun shooting at the aliens. *** 1/2
Hogwarts Express: I wanted to go do Velocicoaster and this was the fastest way to get to Island of Adventure. As a way to get from point A to point B, it sure does do that. As an attraction, holy gently caress is it lame. DUD
Velocicoaster: WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress. *****
Jurassic Park: River Adventure: The themeing on this one was really fun and adds a lot to the experience. I did it at night, which I thought made it significantly more atmospheric. The drop at the end is loving awesome. ****
Skull Island: Reign of Kong: Somebody told me the Kong ride sucks rear end compared to the old Kong ride and holy moly they might've been underselling it. This thing does NOTHING. It just rumbles a bit while some mid monster fights play on the screens. If I had to find a compliment, the way it goes from left to right is sorta neat? But this was a total waste of time. -*

I was gonna do Cinnabon on the way out, but they closed as I was approaching. I'm sorry, Takeshita. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mix of animatronics and screens, from what I saw almost all of the animatronics and practical stuff is great, the screens are hit and miss.

Theres a big kong animatronic and it's like the only cool part of that ride.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NienNunb posted:

Big universal head, one of my favorite places in the world. Go on the Hulk coaster.

I did Islands of Adventure backwards so the park was closing by the time I got to it. Top of the list for tomorrow.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow. Lot of ET bigotry from the supposedly progressive SomethingAwful.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mariooncrack posted:

Sorry for the post necromancy, you going to ride the fast and furious ride?

Yes. I was told it sucks rear end and I have to ride it. I'm gonna do it tomorrow or Friday.

Today I did Volcano Bay and most of the water slides are just slides. They are fine to good. Too many stairs. My knee hurts so much.

Krakatau - This thing loving rules, I see why it has such gangly wait times. Easily the best thing in the park. I don't have a ton to say it was just a really fun aqua coaster. ****

Then I went to Islands of Adventure and did Incredible Hulk three times. It's loving awesome, but I feel like it leads with its strongest punch and then never gets close to that again, and the ending is kinda flat. If it ended stronger, easy 5, but as is, ****1/2

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He probably does, San Fran.

This isn't the AEW thread!!!!!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't know where else to post this and I need to share it because it refuses to stop taking up space in my brain. I got really into the game Hi-Fi Rush a couple months ago. It's a rhythm action game that has a lot of licensed music in it. The song they licensed for the credits is "Honestly" by ZWAN. This song is not on Spotify and near as I can tell, isn't available on any digital storefronts at all. So the only place I can listen to it is by watching the music video on youtube. I did not know that ZWAN was a supergroup made up of singers from Smashing Pumpkins, a Perfect Circle and Slint. So every time I go open up this music video. There's National Wrestling Alliance owner and president Billy Corgan staring at me and it just keeps reminding me how loving weird it is that one of the most influential musicians of the 2000s became one of the biggest punchlines in wrestling of the 2020s. I want to tell young ZWAN Billy don't do it. Don't push Tyrus, Billy.

Anyway French Crueller. Tim Hortons has a great Honey Crueller. I wish I was eating it right now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cavauro posted:

there are active NDAs related to the breakup of zwan and rumor has it that the album they released has been purposefully handled by big bill to make as little money as possible for anyone involved out of spite

If it's supposed to make as little money as possible, why isn't it on spotify? Checkmate, heteros.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Although it is kinda funny, if Corgan wanted the other people involved in ZWAN to make as little money from it as possible, which absolutely sounds like something he'd do, I wonder how the song wound up in Hi-Fi Rush in the first place. Maybe he licensed it to them for dirt cheap.

Also I said it because of A. I was wrong. :(

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 7, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That makes a lot of sense, it feels absolutely perfect for its spot in the game and the Streamer Mode song that replaces it is probably the best Streamer Mode song in the game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I went to six flags magic mountain today. Here's me after doing Riddler's Revenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcl69RfGw54

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yes but the bottom of the harness pounded me. In my rear end!!!!!!!!!!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey we're doin' Disneyland tomorrow, any of you FUCKERS have any pointers?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

That DICK! posted:

Bring an autograph book. If you see them you can get autograph from Mickey and Goofy

Why the gently caress are they in the theme park instead of shooting more cartoons? Lazy assholes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

That DICK! posted:

how come mjeff gets to be ridley

Because I'm the only person on this subforum insane enough to be really really really into Metroid lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did you know that until recently there was a minor break in the canon regarding Ridley, as the timeline goes Metroid > Metroid Prime Trilogy > Metroid 2 > Super > etc., and in Metroid Prime 3, you fight Omega Ridley, who's all hopped up on cybernetic enhancements and he loving gets atomized at the end of the game, but then two games later, in Super, he just shows up again, totally fine, no cybernetic enhancements. This among other minor blips sewn throughout both games. always made the Prime games, developed by American developed Retro Studios, feel weirdly separate from the mainline games, all directed by Yoshio Sakamoto. But back in 2017, with the release of Metroid: Samus Returns, by MercuryStream, this break was finally healed with the secret boss of that game, Proteus Ridley.

See, he has some cybernetic parts, but not a bunch of them. So now there's a clear line from "fully cybernetic" to "kinda cybernetic" to "not cybernetic". As someone who was a fan of the series for a long time and was always mildly bothered by the game from 1994 and the game from 2006 not getting along with each other, this was very meaningful to me.

Also I always thought it was cute that Samus Returns and AM2R, the fan remake, despite both being developed COMPLETELY separately, both had basically the exact same post-credits scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZN8LSqa62I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVaPtCjdfK8