Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

taking this to the general thread at the request of jru

Lamuella posted:

Saints Row The Third was better than all of these.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It had a gang made up of Lucha guys, so this opinion ought to be uncontroversial.

the lucha gang in SR3 sucks and is boring and the good guy luchadore who joins your crew named Angel de la Muerte is voiced by Hulk loving Hogan of all people so plbltbtbltlbtlt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

SR2 was my favourite too. The map was kinda generic and it was buggy as gently caress but literally everything else was amazing

thats an interesting take actually because one of the complaints about SR3 from longtime SR2 fans was how Steelport, in comparison to Stilwater, was incredibly generic and none of the neighborhoods really had their own distinct identity, whereas every area of Stilwater felt unique to one another

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I enjoyed SR3 when it came out but going back to it now it's incredibly hard to ignore that it's like, half a game

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I'm back in the car. AAA guy razzed me pretty hard. I was parked outside of a Wawa and he told me he wouldn't give my keys back until I bought him a chocolate milkshake.

this wouldn't have happened if you were outside a QuickChek

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

go home, lock your door, do your homework, watch Naruto

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its almost a direct cover so its very strange to say one is definitively better than the other

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Been watching the Toonami Aftermath stream a lot lately. I know it's boomer as gently caress but there's something about like 90s and early 2000's anime that works so much better for me than modern ones. Don't know if it's because I was a kid when I saw them, who knows?? Lots of modern anime looks cheap and has a lot of weird bloom and digital coloring, looks bad todd

a lot of modern anime has a budget of about 50c and relies on a lot of shortcuts to look even passably good

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i like mushishi and serial experiments lain and paranoia agent

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

please enjoy my favourite video on the internet. it truly does not get any better than this. i have been very sad lately so i watch this. to feel happy again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

the only thing that bothers me about this video isn't in the video itself but when people who see it think he's pouring mayonnaise on the pizza and not catupiry

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brut posted:

LMFAO Miyazaki is really clearly talking about how he wants to be killed that way in a video game that he'd want to play, and Murahashi (a reporter, I assume?) is interpreting it as him saying he wants to be killed that way IRL, gently caress.

Edit: Eh actually maybe I'm reading in to it and they're on the same page, who knows.

no hidetaka miyazaki absolutely wants to get punched by a giant mushroom irl

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

Mankind Divided felt like a sequel to a completely different game.

which is fitting with Deus Ex tradition

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Was thinking about this concept last night when describing Twisted Metal to my fiancé/m: what are some games (or movies or shows or whatever) that were huge at their time but have almost zero cultural footprint right now. I was also thinking of Medal of Honor. Like both of those franchises felt decently big when I was an adolescent but are more or less extinct at this point.

SOCOM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Would love a good WW2 shooter again, that would own. Europe tho, not the pacific.

they tried with COD WW2 and Battlefield 5 and somehow both hosed it up

i want a Sniper Elite style WW2 game where you play as a member of the Yugoslav Partisans

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

was going to say the entire Adventure genre but they've had some modern revivals, probably the best of which was Life is Strange

... i still like LA Noire too.

have you ever seen gameplay of Mystery of the Druids

its less a video game and more a thesis statement on why the Adventure game genre had to die

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

i had not, but doing some digging i realised David Cage games are considered Adventure games. Maybe we should just kill it.

wait this list doesnt even include LA Noire? the hell?

oh but it does include 999 and Danganronpa good point

to give you an idea, here is a breakdown of the first real "puzzle" of the game

you, playing as a murder detective of New Scotland Yard, need to call a professor who works at a museum. In order to do this, you need to get the box of apple juice in your desk drawer, then you need to go into the lab and wipe down all the bottles of various chemicals on the shelf, then you need to ask the lab technician if he just sits around getting drunk all day considering he's surrounded by alcohol, which causes him to demonstrate to you how he does not sit around drinking all day by pouring you a glass of ethyl alcohol which you drink and pass out, then you need to go over to the bottles to see which one he picked up by dusting it for fingerprints and take it, then you go outside the museum where there is a homeless man who's flask you need to take, fill with the apple juice and ethyl alcohol to give to him under the pretense that its apple schnapps so the homeless man will drink it and pass out, so you can then steal his change to use at a pay phone outside the museum to call the professor inside the museum.

there's a phone in your office at the police station, btw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

The Louie Show reminded me of "best shows ever to only get one season and never again" i've already mentioned Journeyman

2 that instantly come to mind:

Day Break (NOT the netflix one)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

... ok make that 1 because the other one i THOUGHT was only one season was Andy Richter Controls the Universe but looking at wikipedia to get the url to link it here that apparently had a second season? I had no loving idea

Terriers, always and forever

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't realize Horizon Zero Dawn actually had an official release date on Steam, comes out in a month and now I'll finally get to play it and find out whether Ted Faro is a jerk or not.

yo Ted Faro is pretty hosed up

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I miss the McDonalds mascots, why can't Grimace and Hamburglar come back :(

they tried to bring back the Hamburglar and make him sexy but people were NOT having it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao falling on my IK sword

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Small B the Poke God

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

G4 owned when I was 10. Bring back Portal, bring back Tommy Tallarico and Judgement Day.

Tommy Tallarico is too busy being president of Intellivision these days

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

There's a clip from giant bomb where Jeff says "do you care about shin megami tensei games? I sure as hell don't!" And I've been searching high and low for it for the last few days but it just doesn't exist anymore :\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG_8XHk5JDk

at about 1:15

but you should watch the full thing because it set the tone for the entire website for years to come

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Post-apocalyptic future? Man, you throw dark! Luckily, so does Giant Bomb dot Com!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just one thing about Ghosts of Tsushima, i don't think if they made it clear enough in the game itself, is it true that Samurai, they were very honorable, but the Mongol invaders were not honorable?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

this video to me is like the classic "Adam cole is short" video for others. I love to post it, see it, listen to philip glass, listen to leonard nimoy, laugh, move on with my day or night. "Any excuse to post"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RfQjFkGsEE

lmao thank you so much for posting this, i had forgotten about it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

TCM is one of my favourite movies ever. The John Larroquette voice over in the beginning is perfect and chilling, and I love the trivia that he did it, uncredited, in exchange for weed.

drat, like father like son indeed

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

I am seriously lost, are we talking about the same game? Catherine on the PS3 and 360?

yeah dude

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Too late, now we all have to talk about our favorite anime for the next page and a half

I like Hellsing Ultimate

Serial Experiments Lain and Mushishi

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Predator would try to cut Kobashi's arm off but the blade would just bounce harmlessly off his bone

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

Also eventually it became a chore to walk everywhere for me.

what the gently caress

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

please don't read The Boys comics they're insanely bad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

whenever i think of paterson i think of when i was at my cousin's wife's funeral. we were in the car for the funeral procession when a minivan decided to gun an intersection and hit a motorcycle cop sending him flying. there was a guy on the street corner holding a bag of bagels and he was very split in dropping the bagels to help the cop who was just hit or hanging on to them, he instead just gently set them down against a wall and they fell over anyway. i think we were technically in carlstadt when this horror happened but i just always remember it being the most new jersey experience i've ever had.

lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I Before E posted:

Skyrim should have been our first warning about what AAA games were going to be in the PS4 generation but we didn't listen, so now every open world game is A Map With Things To Collect and as much as I like that that let Yakuza become a going concern in America I hate that none of the American games that share that formula (your Horizons, Spider-Man, Watch Dogsassin's Cry, Ghost Of Infamous, Sleeping Dogs, Batman after and maybe including Asylum) are anywhere near as good.

dude that trend started in like 2009 with assassin's creed 2

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also the points of comparison between all the games you mentioned are so surface level and thin that the entire premise is completely hosed

there is literally no similarities between Yakuza 0 and Horizon: Zero Dawn other than "they have maps and side quests"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Critical posted:

did the fuckin page select thing move or am I having a stroke?

it moved and got bigger for some reason

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

You know those big frosted hard plastic cups you see at pizzerias? The ones with the Coke logo on the side? Love those. Wanna get those for my house.

i know exactly what you're talking about and so do i

https://www.amazon.com/Coca-Cola-Plastic-24-Ounce-Restaurant-Carlisle/dp/B00WYHR7QC

lol i found these by googling "pizzeria cups"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

blockers is pretty good and a large part of that is john cena

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

After 9/11, Frank Miller planned a comic where Batman went to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban. It obviously fell through but holy poo poo could you imagine how reprehensible that would have been.

he did make that comic, but with Batman and Catwoman very lazily redesigned to circumvent copyright. its called Holy Terror.

not to be confused with Batman: Holy Terror, the early 90s elseworlds miniseries about Batman in a Cromwellian Theocracy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Trying to watch the Villianess and the action is so dizzying from the start. It starts like Hardcore Harry, perspective-wise before letting you see the protagonist do her thing from a 2d/3d(?) perspective.

only the beginning of the movie is like that, after the opening scene it becomes a traditionally shot movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012