Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Makin this thread for those of us who are only programmer adjacent

talk about your artisanal k8s and docker setups or whether "the cloud" is really going to "take off"

also talk about putting packets in pipes and how you have to put in a major change request to scratch your own taint

catalyst for this thread was cisco announcing a technology that someone else has had out for multiple years as "the first ever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

abigserve posted:

also talk about putting packets in pipes and how you have to put in a major change request to scratch your own taint

feelin' real called out right now

had to put in a change request the other day to get someone to pull an unplugged, powered off device from a rack, because it's in our HQ and we don't want to do anything that could possibly disturb the bean counters. our security architect caught wind of this, went into the closet, and just pulled the thing out at noon on a friday :v:

also the cloud is bad unless you're partnered-with-amazon level of pouring money into it and I'm disappointed we're moving towards it as a secondary "datacenter" instead of spending the nine hundo a month for a quarter rack colo and just shoving a couple pizza boxes and storage arrays in there with a router for DMVPN

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

computers seem bad op

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

feelin' real called out right now

had to put in a change request the other day to get someone to pull an unplugged, powered off device from a rack, because it's in our HQ and we don't want to do anything that could possibly disturb the bean counters. our security architect caught wind of this, went into the closet, and just pulled the thing out at noon on a friday :v:

what services will this effect?

the network

yeah but what services

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

theadder posted:

computers seem bad op

Try connecting them together, that's when it really turns to poo poo

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i had an ethernet cord stuck in my laptop that i needed pliers to get out today. i have no idea why it was so tight.

that’s the extent of my networking issues lately, thanks for listening.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

big mtu boiz 4 lyfe

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Laslow posted:

i had an ethernet cord stuck in my laptop that i needed pliers to get out today. i have no idea why it was so tight.

that’s the extent of my networking issues lately, thanks for listening.

it was hammered into your modem port op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

abigserve posted:

Try connecting them together, that's when it really turns to poo poo

id never connect one computer to another op

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theadder posted:

id never connect one computer to another op

the most important lesson from battlestar galactica

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
today i terminated some machines

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

i connected a switch with a mismatched spanning tree type to some distribution stuff during the day, things went poorly

tickets were opened/ports shut down and described then my senior laughed then said to delete the descriptions and never speak of it again

thats my story

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Spanning-tree is one of those things where it's technically very easy but it relies on a bunch of diligence at virtually every layer of the IT department so its rarely correct.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

don't computer

just don't

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
spent like 2 hours today figuring out that some k8s pod couldn't write to a file because the docker image had a standard entrypoint that did a chown followed by a suexec to another user. the chown hardcoded the default value of this location, which i had changed to make other poo poo work. only the script did this, so all the initcontainers we ran with poo poo other than that script wrote the same files as the default user, i.e. root. turns out emptydir mounts persist after initcontainers exit or something.

this poo poo isn't half as annoying as helm rendering a template, failing to convert it to json, and then reporting an error on a line in the rendered yaml, which it doesn't show you.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

this poo poo isn't half as annoying as helm rendering a template, failing to convert it to json, and then reporting an error on a line in the rendered yaml, which it doesn't show you.

powerful curse

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

theadder posted:

computers seem bad op

computers are fine, the mistake was letting them talk to each other.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

openshift more like openSHIT

nah actually seems like it might be kinda nice

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

computers are fine, the mistake was letting them talk to each other.

unsure op some problems with even a solitary computer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

theadder posted:

unsure op some problems with even a solitary computer

yes but in the single computer case the benefits outweigh the drawbacks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

420Gbps or gtfo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

in a 69-port link aggregate

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my managers all want us to use kubernetes but our software is 100% not designed for it lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

akadajet posted:

my managers all want us to use kubernetes but our software is 100% not designed for it lol

Can you expand on why it isn't? All I ever hear is "valid" k8s use cases but even under the smallest scrutiny it sounds like a lot of care and feeding for it to work. Be good to hear a case where it's the other side of the coin.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

abigserve posted:

Can you expand on why it isn't? All I ever hear is "valid" k8s use cases but even under the smallest scrutiny it sounds like a lot of care and feeding for it to work. Be good to hear a case where it's the other side of the coin.

It's a bunch of windows services and asp.net sites tied to a big ol' self-hosted sql server instance. Maybe you could host it in Windows containers, but I was under the impression that k8s is really a linux game.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

We're on Azure so we'd likely want to use AKS for hosting. Even for Microsoft, Windows Servers support is considered a "preview" technology.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

Windows Servers

haha. lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

websphere in kubernetes is a real thing that some people actually want to do

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

big mtu boiz 4 lyfe

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

websphere in kubernetes is a real thing that some people actually want to do

giant thonking

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

abigserve posted:

windows software is perhaps a bit more of a special case, but for us, kubernetes manages to surface a lot of unfortunate shortcuts that didn't cause issues on dedicated VMs. these are probably all more just generic issues with adopting to containerized deployments, but k8s has made those more accessible:

* worker process count is determined based on core count by default. this doesn't work very well if you run on a beefy kubelet with many cores, but only allocate 2-4 CPU to the pod, since the "how many cores?" the program sees is the underlying host's core count. doubly so since these workers all allocate a baseline amount of RAM
* things that assume static IPs are poo poo in general in modern infrastructure, and kubernetes' pod lifecycle model demonstrates this quite well
* we have some temporary directories that default to a directory that also holds some static files. kubernetes makes it easy to do read-only root FS for security purposes, and while we have a setting to move the temporary files elsewhere, it turns out we hardcoded the default location loving everywhere

the largest issue, honestly, is that kubernetes operational experience is in fairly short supply, and there are a lot of people being dragged kicking and screaming into working with it because their higher-ups wanted to implement it (not without good reason, mind you, but in typical modern american corporate fashion, they want to do so without training anyone under arbitrary, too-short timelines). as vendor support for poo poo that runs in and heavily integrates with kubernetes, more than half my time ends up being spent on explaining poo poo that's covered in the kubernetes documentation and reminding people that "kubectl logs" and "kubectl describe" will explain the cause of most of their issues.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Experience is important, and so is having people motivated to learning about k8s. In Windows shops you'll run into a lack of both.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

has anyone moved from a network where your core speaks bgp to mpls where only your edge needs to? any pitfalls? I am tempted as the QFX range seems to be a bargain but won't take a full table

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

my stepdads beer posted:

has anyone moved from a network where your core speaks bgp to mpls where only your edge needs to? any pitfalls? I am tempted as the QFX range seems to be a bargain but won't take a full table

i mean kinda? fastly doesn't use routers. all of our switches get peering/transit jammed into them and we run bird on all the cache nodes to wrangle bgp bc commodity cpu is cheap. it's saved us millions in worthless cisco expenses

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

windows software is perhaps a bit more of a special case, but for us, kubernetes manages to surface a lot of unfortunate shortcuts that didn't cause issues on dedicated VMs. these are probably all more just generic issues with adopting to containerized deployments, but k8s has made those more accessible:

* worker process count is determined based on core count by default. this doesn't work very well if you run on a beefy kubelet with many cores, but only allocate 2-4 CPU to the pod, since the "how many cores?" the program sees is the underlying host's core count. doubly so since these workers all allocate a baseline amount of RAM
* things that assume static IPs are poo poo in general in modern infrastructure, and kubernetes' pod lifecycle model demonstrates this quite well
* we have some temporary directories that default to a directory that also holds some static files. kubernetes makes it easy to do read-only root FS for security purposes, and while we have a setting to move the temporary files elsewhere, it turns out we hardcoded the default location loving everywhere

the largest issue, honestly, is that kubernetes operational experience is in fairly short supply, and there are a lot of people being dragged kicking and screaming into working with it because their higher-ups wanted to implement it (not without good reason, mind you, but in typical modern american corporate fashion, they want to do so without training anyone under arbitrary, too-short timelines). as vendor support for poo poo that runs in and heavily integrates with kubernetes, more than half my time ends up being spent on explaining poo poo that's covered in the kubernetes documentation and reminding people that "kubectl logs" and "kubectl describe" will explain the cause of most of their issues.

Ta, this makes sense. Definitely the static IP thing is something I've seen in prod, so this confirms that, but the worker process count is new and I'd have to do some research on it.

my stepdads beer posted:

you still need iBGP or whatever other protocol to advertise the routes throughout the core to populate the LIB. MPLS doesn't replace a routing protocol it just changes the way the lookup is performed for a packet as it transits the network.

That doesn't mean you have to publish the full table into your core though, so I'd be considering why that was ever a requirement.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

yes but in the single computer case the benefits outweigh the drawbacks

further study is needed op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have a unifi dream machine in my house. it's cool and has lots of options I don't understand. also it has an app

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean kinda? fastly doesn't use routers. all of our switches get peering/transit jammed into them and we run bird on all the cache nodes to wrangle bgp bc commodity cpu is cheap. it's saved us millions in worthless cisco expenses

hmm I am having trouble understand how this works, so your l3 switches get a summary table from bird?

abigserve posted:

you still need iBGP or whatever other protocol to advertise the routes throughout the core to populate the LIB. MPLS doesn't replace a routing protocol it just changes the way the lookup is performed for a packet as it transits the network.

That doesn't mean you have to publish the full table into your core though, so I'd be considering why that was ever a requirement.

yeah I've labbed it in VMs and have iBGP between my PE routers and OSPF with MPLS hanging off that. our current 'core' is .. please don't make me talk about our currently core. it was before my time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

my stepdads beer posted:

hmm I am having trouble understand how this works, so your l3 switches get a summary table from bird?

theyre not even layer 3. so we have X switches which are per-transit, and then each machine gets 1 10g pipe to each of X switches. bgp is on the node so it knows which interface is the preferred path for Y IP block.

this is super fun and powerful esp if you can visualize bgp updates being pushed globally in a second or two. given that we have about 12% of web traffic behind us, it's a bit of a firehose. we never use it maliciously of course but we can route around outages really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ohhh yeah that's a great idea. gives me something to think about. I'm not keen on MPLS as i don't want any of the advanced features at this stage. thanks