Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

The UDM Pro is similar to the UDM but it's rack-mount, it doesn't have wireless but it's got a 10GbE SFP+, 8 port switch rather than 4, same cloud key and routing poo poo, it also has a 'lil babby touchscreen :3:. It's currently in Early Access: https://ubntwiki.com/products/unifi/unifi_dream_machine_pro

I just figure I'll be most likely to want to upgrade wireless from AC at some point in the next few years so an all-in-one that includes wireless might be a bad route (also I could someday want 10GbE to a NAS or something, IDK)?

lol so it’s $80 more and then you gotta but WiFi separately? seems like the opposite of what I need at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
k8s let’s me think about compute as pools or slabs of ram and cpu, and let’s me sleep by having a bunch of smart auto recovery stuff built in. disk fills, or Healthcheck fails, route around it. just in general there is a lot of good poo poo built in that’d I spend a decent amount of time trying to replicate and don’t have to.

also kubectl is magic compared to the poo poo I used to have to do. I can do things like get logs and system events with a simple and simple decently put together syntax.

typical issues I see, java shops pinned to 8 not turning on the experimental flag on to detect cgroup stuff or using the downward api to pass resource requests manually through, and apps having no handlers for graceful termination, or doing something real terrible where they fork processes on containers and don’t get why that’s bad.

also devs are terrible about putting requests on pods in general, and you get “hot” nodes where something isn’t limited and is slamming a node.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

freeasinbeer posted:

or doing something real terrible where they fork processes on containers and don’t get why that’s bad.

Elaborate?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

freeasinbeer posted:

k8s let’s me think about compute as pools or slabs of ram and cpu, and let’s me sleep by having a bunch of smart auto recovery stuff built in.

“let’s” is possessive, you want “lets”

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

abigserve posted:

Elaborate?

you generally don’t want background processes within a container because if the background process dies and it doesn’t take down the main process with it, you effectively end up with a zombie container, thats hiding the fact that it’s unhealthy from the management layer

ideally any fatal faults in a container result in the entire container exiting. then it will be relaunched automatically, and a restart counter will be incremented somewhere, making the flake visible in your monitoring

zombie containers can be ameliorated by having a health check that polls the container for liveness, but that’s really just a workaround option for when you’ve got something that you can’t get to exit when it’s died for whatever reason

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Unix processes don’t have a thing where you can get messages about misbehaving children like in erlang, but it’s not normalized in use like in erlang

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I’m phone posting drunk from a beach in the South Pacific, so :shrug:

so zombie processes are bad, but as mentioned liveliness and readiness probes can kinda glaze over it by taking them out of the service IP or by restarting the container they are configured on. Importantly not the whole pod tho, and they also won’t move hosts unless it is evicted for some reason like an OOM or running out of disk.

more commonly I see folks not catching the sigterm when a pod is terminated, like with a new version of a deployment, and even if they do, pid1 doesn’t often cleanly exit the child process. by default k8s sends a sigkill after 30 seconds. now the termination notification of the pod also removes it from the service IP, so you should have 30 seconds of no traffic before the sigkill but I find in general that apps really don’t like being abruptly killed.

simple put, child processes are a smell to me typically, that lets me know there is likely deeper issues that k8s is gonna aggravate , because processes/pods/nodes are more ephemeral. if I can’t roll a node because processes can’t handle sigterms cleanly it makes it a pain in the rear end to do upgrades or installs of new tooling.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

It's been a while since I wrote anything that forked but I seem to remember getting into the zombie process state was hard as gently caress and you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get there.

I.e if the parent process died or was killed, I remember (could be wrong) it's children being automatically reaped or killed along with it by default. This would have been perl. Am I crazy?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ive seen people try to DIY their own init system within containers, with like a bunch of processes under a parent process that tries to keep them running

of course they do it wrong so the parent process ends up silently missing failures and the container turns into a zombie where half of it isnt actually running anymore

normally this is driven by them wanting to keep a bunch of processes fully adjacent to each other. they should instead put the procs in separate containers in the same pod, with a shared emptyDir volume or similar for any stuff they actually need to share. this then allows the container management to manage the containers, and if any of the processes fails then the pod gets cleanly and reproducibly reset as the lord intended

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
rework a bit of systemd so it will run within containers and manage their local processes.

problem solved :smuggo:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

rework a bit of systemd so it will run within containers and manage their local processes.

problem solved :smuggo:

people (terrible, horrible people) have been doing this for several years, since approximately 5 seconds after it became possible. of course they have

freeasinbeer posted:

now the termination notification of the pod also removes it from the service IP, so you should have 30 seconds of no traffic before the sigkill

this is not always true and it can take a while for the NotReady to propagate, at least for NodePort services

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nobody care’s

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut
we can't even put code on VM's properly --> K8s will fix our problems

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I got 10 Gbit at my work desk recently and I started getting audibly angry when a file transfer was only going at 2 Gbit the other day before I checked my privilege.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a genuine question for all the k8s wranglers:

what was wrong with docker and fleetctl?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

fleetctl? idk maybe nothing by the time I started mangling containers for money k8s had already won so I’ve never touched fleet

what’s wrong with docker? that whole thing where it’s a pile of poo poo. that’s pretty bad. cri-o will save us someday

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jimmy Carter posted:

I got 10 Gbit at my work desk recently and I started getting audibly angry when a file transfer was only going at 2 Gbit the other day before I checked my privilege.

all our switches and nics are gigabit (as you would expect), but my ip phone has a 100mbps switch in it so thats all i get. it sucks

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I discovered that speedtest dot net sucks dick because it stops being accurate above ~800 mbit

fast.com on the other hand will have zero complaints maxing out your 40 gbit nic :flipoff:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

You won't be able to push most consumer storage devices past 2gbps for actual real data transfers

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

docker the image format is fine

dockerd the runtime implementation is loving garbage and there’s zero reason to use it anymore because there are roughly 500 compatible implementations that aren’t rubbish these days

off the top of my head dockerd have pulled poo poo like minor point releases with hideous breaking changes, long-running bugs where containers would just turn into zombies with no network for a few hours, etc.

these days the main thing that sucks with dockerd, other than how flaky it is at scales beyond a single workstation, is that for marketing reasons it hardcodes docker hub as its default registry, which is bullshit if you’re running an airgapped setup with your own separate registry. other runtimes like containerd let you simply configure the default registry to point to your own on-prem instance, but if you’re some poor soul still running dockerd then you’ve got to inject a registry prefix into all your image names everywhere or else dockerd tries to hit up docker hub and then throws up its hands when it’s unreachable

also docker the company was sold for scrap a few weeks ago so I fully expect monetization to be cranked to 11 shortly

never heard of fleetctl

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

i like aws ecs :shrug:

if i don't want to be hemmed into aws only i need to get better at k8s generally speaking though- same with terraform over cloudformation

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
let's talk eigrp - it sucks and I hate it

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

Forums Medic posted:

i would simply turn on ospf and remove eigrp. have you considered this op

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use protocols that follow my projects. that’s why I use RIP

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Forums Medic posted:

From the Before Time when CISCO legitimately thought they would never have competition

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if you’re on AWS you qualify as a network engineer for knowing what a default route is

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what is radius

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

what is radius

authentication server for dial-up, wpa enterprise, some other stuff i think

wpa enterprise is nice because stations can authenticate base stations, and also managing credentials on a per-person basis scales better than a single shared key for big installs

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

radius is a dead protocol that relies on obsolete design parameters like fixed client ip addresses and the sooner network/cli embrace oidc the better off we will all be.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

everyone who keeps pushing radius over a restful protocol that can do all it does and more is the reason why most enterprise practitioners keep designing new services on windows servers. its like they love tending their beautiful bonsai tree garden of infrastructure instead of realizing that anything ops related is poo poo-tier work that needs to be minimized so we can get a good night's sleep and focus on more interesting problems.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Turnquiet posted:

everyone who keeps pushing radius over a restful protocol that can do all it does and more is the reason why most enterprise practitioners keep designing new services on windows servers. its like they love tending their beautiful bonsai tree garden of infrastructure instead of realizing that anything ops related is poo poo-tier work that needs to be minimized so we can get a good night's sleep and focus on more interesting problems.

qq

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
radius works fine and switching to oidc of all things would require such a massive rewrite of litterrally everything and idk what the benefit would be. oidc only exists because web "developers" didn't want to use any of the existing federation standards that already worked.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MFA with radius is a shitshow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
works great for me. im not using some Linux bullshit though, so maybe that's why

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

sort of related, can't figure out how to get my hostname to point correctly to my sql database for public facing so i gave up

cname and a names don't seem to work properly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Turnquiet posted:

the only problem with this argument is that those more interesting problems will be solved by somebody else.

radius is job preservation, and i can respect that.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Fundamentally there is no way to move to a "rest like" protocol for the functionality that RADIUS provides, because the primary function of RADIUS is to carry EAP messages. EAP messages are layer 2 only and typically are not forwarded past the switchport which means you need another protocol whose only role is a carrier for said messages to the layer 3 endpoint that serves as the AAA server. Because EAP is end-to-end between the client and the authentication server for obvious reasons, there is no plausible way you could lift a framework like OIDC into the role that RADIUS provides.

If you're thinking "why not use something other than EAP", consider that your clients have literally no network access at all prior to authentication. That is the primary use case for EAP/RADIUS.

The end of RADIUS is actually the end of traditional networking, which is the very slow, plodding shift for enterprise to move towards zero-trust networking via massive overlay networks, the standards for which are still not agreed upon let alone implemented.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i dunno why everybody wants everything to be "restful" anyway. it's a message format that fits pretty well with data exploration apis that are expected to have many clients hitting a single dataset but it's also for some reason how you do rpc now and is supposed to be the only thing you do with any kind of http/s interface which is supposed to be the only way anything should communicate over the network including elaborate systems layered on top of it to replace lower level interfaces. even if nothing you're doing needs to be routable

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phobeste posted:

i dunno why everybody wants everything to be "restful" anyway. it's a message format that fits pretty well with data exploration apis that are expected to have many clients hitting a single dataset but it's also for some reason how you do rpc now and is supposed to be the only thing you do with any kind of http/s interface which is supposed to be the only way anything should communicate over the network including elaborate systems layered on top of it to replace lower level interfaces. even if nothing you're doing needs to be routable

because you can jank together stuff with curl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

abigserve posted:

Fundamentally there is no way to move to a "rest like" protocol for the functionality that RADIUS provides, because the primary function of RADIUS is to carry EAP messages. EAP messages are layer 2 only and typically are not forwarded past the switchport which means you need another protocol whose only role is a carrier for said messages to the layer 3 endpoint that serves as the AAA server. Because EAP is end-to-end between the client and the authentication server for obvious reasons, there is no plausible way you could lift a framework like OIDC into the role that RADIUS provides.

If you're thinking "why not use something other than EAP", consider that your clients have literally no network access at all prior to authentication. That is the primary use case for EAP/RADIUS.

The end of RADIUS is actually the end of traditional networking, which is the very slow, plodding shift for enterprise to move towards zero-trust networking via massive overlay networks, the standards for which are still not agreed upon let alone implemented.

it's not the network client to radius client thing that people want rest, it's the radius client to radius server part, and i bet you could design it so your authentication/accounting services would work in an edge cloud or something because *faaaart*