Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I had to rebuild my stupid unifi network at home. I still have to, but I used to, too.

I need to rejoin the stupid access points that are somehow still operating but not really. but gently caress this poo poo I have to do this at work every day, you want me to do it at home? where I live?? gently caress that.

:page3:

update: I fixed it

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

in a well actually posted:

you could wireshark the smb traffic

oh snap, smart thinking. tyvm!

Mar 4, 2024
Zzz.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 4, 2024

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

oh neat side project here: i realized that i have a spare gig port on both the linux server and my nas, so i ran a patch cable and moved all the NFS mounts to go over that. now qbittorrent can move completed linux isos to the nas at full gigabit while also downloading more linux isos at full gigabit

i only recently realized that i could use the openvswitch install on my synology (part of the virt host thing?) and use that as a switch to supplement my meager router. now everything actually has an ethernet port hell yeah

(this is what i get for being obsessive about low-power routers that have like 2 ports)

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I truly do not understand: what possible reason would Comcast have to keep oscillating their DHCPv6 renewal period between 24 hours and 2 hours?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Failover servers with different configs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol Comcast

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

unknown posted:

Failover servers with different configs.

Captain Foo posted:

lol Comcast

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

lol Comcast

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my poor ping times

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I truly do not understand: what possible reason would Comcast have to keep oscillating their DHCPv6 renewal period between 24 hours and 2 hours?

it's a conspiracy by big subnet to make ipv6 as lovely as possible and drive up ipv4 prices :v:

040624_5
Apr 7, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 7, 2024

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i wanna complain about software devs thinking that adding more default routes that point to routers that dont go anywhere fixes problems

but i get part of the way through describing the situation and just … gently caress

i accept that im the rear end in a top hat, fine

but… dont current compsci and sweng degree programs have at least 1 networking course that tests you on understanding how a multi homed routing table is gonna work?

didnt they explicitly tell you that multiple default routes is a special special case and you dont need that ever until you know why you dont need that?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pretty sure it’s you that needs a networking course or two bro

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
yeah no poo poo so when im fixing someone elses fuckups thats a bad sign

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

multiple default routes work just fine but if you're using provider-assigned address space from multiple providers of course you'll need some policy rules to make sure source address selection is performed correctly

hell you can even put a whole rear end routing table in a linux box

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

yep “can work fine” absolutely when “special case of multiple providers”

that aint what this is. this is a kvm host in a dev lab with 1 network that points to the world and 1 private network thats only in the lab with no routers on it.

oo i know ill add a bridge in the kvm host for an internal to kvm virtual network and set the kvm hosts default route to point to that network instead of the rest of the world. oh wait why cant i ssh into the kvm host from outside the lab now? oh noooooo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wish your posts were null routed

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

you fool - my posts are so powerful you could route them through null, to an infinite loop, then to null again and they would still be bad!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

wish your posts were null routed

i like how you've optimized this loop with your whole monitor off thing

041024_5
Apr 10, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 10, 2024

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i ended up diying a linux router (debian stable) on a protectli box. running systemd-networkd and firewalld, with all the configuration in a basic ansible config in a git repo making it easy to rebuild later or revert if i break something. wanted something that could serve as a wireguard gateway and also run arbitrary docker containers

got everything working in about a day, with the one annoyance currently being that the built-in dhcp server in systemd-networkd is technically functional but extremely barebones. like afaict theres no way to list the hostnames used by clients to figure out where things are. the best i can find is a list of ips/mac addresses in "networkctl status <iface>"

meanwhile i've already got it running adguard home in a docker container for the dns server, and that has a dhcp server feature, so i might just try using that for the dhcp service too. however the file format for tracking static leases is undocumented which doesn't give me much confidence that it's much better

also firewalld is good but its docs are awful, and requiring "--" for command parameters in firewall-cmd is haram. thinking that ill want to switch to direct nftables someday but firewalld had everything i needed for now and was quick to get functioning despite the docs situation. for example i ended up creating my own zones from scratch because i didn't get the point of the built-in ones. i also don't know when you would want zone rules vs a separate policy, the latter seems to be newer and usually unnecessary

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

wanted something that could serve as a wireguard gateway and also run arbitrary docker containers

an ARM-based Mikrotik router is all you need for that my friend

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have a mikrotik dish for getting wifi to distant locations and i can now say that its config is more inscrutable than just doing it in linux from scratch

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fair

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

i have a mikrotik dish for getting wifi to distant locations and i can now say that its config is more inscrutable than just doing it in linux from scratch

an upside for mikrotik is that it is surprisingly *easier* to find information/docs/support for than from scratch options

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

yeah if we're talking about the miktrotik CLI it's a little bit quirky and bespoke but it probably compares favorably to the rats nest of dozens of quirky and bespoke formats that is /etc/* on a linux box with equivalent services?

i do disable all the winbox, web interface, HTTP API, etc. garbage on mikrotiks, though, that poo poo's awful

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i mean you probably don't want to think too much about all those CVE's in mikrotik's homegrown protocol implementations since they didn't want to use off the shelf daemons

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
anyone use purestorage arrays at work and if so what do you think

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

in my case i had been using the web interface on the dish (LHG XL 52 ac), was wanting to get it to act as a transparent AP, with the wired connection acting as upstream to the two radios. had thought i was doing this correctly but i kept getting it into a mode where it wasn't working at all and i couldn't reach the web ui anymore, so i kept having to climb an orchard ladder to get up the pole and hit the reset button so that it was reachable again

eventually gave up and picked one of the easy mode prebake configs in the ui to run it as a basic router, it's been running fine that way for like a year now

if i decide to try again ill probably just take it down off the pole mount first, which i assume guarantees that it'll work correctly the first time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

they fuckin kick rear end, op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

they fuckin kick rear end, op

cool ty. had two hours with them earlier this afternoon

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
when I worked with them pure had a really aggressive sales team but the products were actually great.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i used the pure "s3 compatible api" at a previous role and I thought it was good/fine

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

netapp sales guys hate them

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

shackleford posted:

yeah if we're talking about the miktrotik CLI it's a little bit quirky and bespoke but it probably compares favorably to the rats nest of dozens of quirky and bespoke formats that is /etc/* on a linux box with equivalent services?

embrace BSD. consistent. thoughtfully designed. clean.

well, at least you get into the PHP script generated config from pfsense-specific metaconfig that comes with that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

in a well actually posted:

netapp sales guys hate them

actually brought up the netapp pitch from 12 years ago haha

still use the notepad from the freebie pile to write my grocery list

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

graph posted:

best all-flash block-based storage in the game. i would say "ok" at file-based storage.

notable good/bad thing: you have to use their support for installation, for software upgrades, phone-home is basically required, etc. it's almost like a managed product. which is good if you don't like doing that kind of stuff yourself, but bad if you don't like having to schedule an appointment just to roll code.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

one of my worst home networking bugs was where i'd get disconnected every hour from the internet for like 2-3 seconds. i figured out it was every 1 hour because it always happened at least three times during my 3-hour wow raid.

i ended up going deep and connecting directly to the modem and wiresharking for a few hours. i discovered that comcast was issuing dhcp leases for two (2) hours, so my device would try to renew at the half-life of one (1) hour.

however, the server that my dhcp renew message went to at comcast would send a NAK, which caused the lease to fail and my device would start over. the new request always worked (for the same ip even). it was like the request vs renew messages were getting routed to different dhcp servers on their side.

after talking to a friend of a friend at comcast, i discovered that the 2-hour lease timer was abnormal; they usually set it low like that when they're going to do a maintenance. so if you're still getting 2-hour leases, a dhcp server somewhere in their network is on maintenance-mode.

i ended up fixing the issue by regenerating a new MAC address on my virtual router's WAN port because there was literally zero way to contact anyone at comcast with any capacity to actually fix the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

madsushi posted:

best all-flash block-based storage in the game. i would say "ok" at file-based storage.

notable good/bad thing: you have to use their support for installation, for software upgrades, phone-home is basically required, etc. it's almost like a managed product. which is good if you don't like doing that kind of stuff yourself, but bad if you don't like having to schedule an appointment just to roll code.

that is their primary value proposition, yes