Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

abigserve posted:

The problem, as I see it, with k8s, is that it's a total uplift of how apps are developed AND it's a total uplift of how apps are delivered.

at scale you need to look at uplift of network too, google runs all their k8s stuff on CLOS network don’t they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

my stepdads beer posted:

a bunch of stuff didn't support SLAAC+DHCPv6 PD for ages or required new hardware
also on the cisco 9k agg platform doing dual stack halves your qos queue capacity as each protocol uses a queue slot
also old network engineers refusing to learn new things

also implementing IPv6 provides zero new revenue so it's the lowest possible priority even if it is possible. now that the alternative is CGNAT it sort of has a business case but most ISPs still don't GAF.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

minato posted:

The whole "Hybrid Cloud" concept is a bit of a hype train, but it will be interesting if it becomes a reality. In the same way that most people don't care much about the brand of HW they run their Linux on, k8s makes it so you don't need to care what cloud you run on.

the value of the words 'hybrid cloud' depends on who it's come from - if its coming from traditional tin vendors like Dell or Vmware then its them trying to stay relevant and talking stupid poo poo about how the cloud is fine for dev test but not production. if it's coming from actual companies that have found value in it then it's more useful.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

post hole digger posted:

what is there to host

the MSP I worked for spent a while trying to figure out how to ‘manage’ containers the way we ‘managed’ VMs, ie patch em monthly and monitor. there’s always big market of outsourcers trying to find something useful to do.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I did some certs on the Juniper website once when I was a sales engineer and they sent me 10cm Perspex cube that said NETWORKING EXPERT on it. it was great to annoy the actual engineers with by putting it on the table during meetings etc.

that’s my Juniper story.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I don't have it any more, it was this sort of thing but square:

But instead of the JNCIE which was actually hard it was a bunch of datasheet certs with questions like "How many 40Gbps ports does the M320 support" which you could just google.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I’m sure you won’t be ..…. mist

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
it’s not 1G/1G but it Starlink isn’t too bad downstream wise, I get about 300Mbps. upload is going to hurt though.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
don’t worry soon you will have the choice of several terrible billionaires to buy leosat services from

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

kubernetes is good tho

at least until all the vendors in the "cloud native" space get ahold of it and try to make it "easier" for people that use it but refuse to learn any of the configuration

don't want to understand what a Deployment is? dont worry, we've got a lovely abstraction layer over top that somehow ends up being more complex and won't let you fix poo poo when our hardcoded automation makes bad decisions

vendors like this exist to tell upper management they can fire the devops dude who makes 280k and doesn’t pay attention in meetings and replace him with a portal. no director can resist such a siren song.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I run my dual WAN as a single site SDWAN load balancing a Starlink service and a fixed line service on a low end Fortigate. stretching the definition of ‘home’ though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
when I worked with them pure had a really aggressive sales team but the products were actually great.