Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

outhole surfer posted:

can ospf do anycast?

my main use case for ibgp at the server is ha dns and such

yes, it does it quite well (ECMP), but remember that ECMP routing is based on C for 'cost'. ospf links can have different costs, which means you may need to be careful.

eg: one server has a 1 gbps nic, the other has a 10 gbps nic, those are not equal 'cost' by default, the 10 gbps server will get 100% of the traffic until it goes offline. you can adjust the 'cost' of links manually to smooth that out.

also your implementation of ospf may not have different costs between fast links (eg >10 gbps) because they made cost go down with link speed instead of up and then hit the bottom around 10 gbps and so when 25/40/100 came out they didn't have any lower numbers and so just shrugged and said "well those are all close enough" but that's a specific ospf implementation detail that can be tuned/corrected but just fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

fresh_cheese posted:

if i hack a route for outbound traffic on host1 to use the fast network when it wants to talk to host2, i need a corresponding return path on host2 to also use the fast path to get the responses back to host1

is the fast network (192.168.0.0/24) a single contiguous network? hosts will automatically send traffic for that local network out the local (fast nic). if not contiguous, just point the supernet (192.168.0.0/24) at the gateway on said network. the reply will do the same since it'll be sourcing from the ip on the fast nic

i've used additional dns records for this before, eg: host1 and host1-fast, host2 and host2-fast, and if i want to use the good link, i put in `host2-fast` into the app, and it works because everybody with a NIC in the fast network will prefer that due to the local route always being installed with the interface

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Progressive JPEG posted:

hey whats a reasonable way to handle two ISPs in a home situation

like if i had a WISP and a 4g modem that have similar speeds. thinking load could be distributed across both, rather than doing a priority failover setup

don't really know what i should be looking for here

multi-wan ecmp can be hit or miss depending on the comparative performance of the connections, but not a bad option overall. ubiquiti/unifi have some reasonably good multi-wan capabilities.

i have qty 3 isps so i assign a (virtual or physical) router to each and give them their own ips (.1 and .2 and .3), and then i can just change my gateway any time i want to flip between one, or i can hardcode a route to point at one of those next-hops if i know i always want that to take a different path.

ultimately, it's pretty difficult to determine empirically if one of your connections is saturated or not (at least locally), and so most solutions are either random ecmp (just split traffic by session 50/50, NOT by bandwidth, so it always ends up uneven) or you tell the device what the maximum bandwidth per provider is (which is tough because 4G/WISP bandwidth tends to be variable).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

outhole surfer posted:

get an asn and a /44, then peer with each isp via bgp

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

graph posted:

anyone use purestorage arrays at work and if so what do you think

best all-flash block-based storage in the game. i would say "ok" at file-based storage.

notable good/bad thing: you have to use their support for installation, for software upgrades, phone-home is basically required, etc. it's almost like a managed product. which is good if you don't like doing that kind of stuff yourself, but bad if you don't like having to schedule an appointment just to roll code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I truly do not understand: what possible reason would Comcast have to keep oscillating their DHCPv6 renewal period between 24 hours and 2 hours?

one of my worst home networking bugs was where i'd get disconnected every hour from the internet for like 2-3 seconds. i figured out it was every 1 hour because it always happened at least three times during my 3-hour wow raid.

i ended up going deep and connecting directly to the modem and wiresharking for a few hours. i discovered that comcast was issuing dhcp leases for two (2) hours, so my device would try to renew at the half-life of one (1) hour.

however, the server that my dhcp renew message went to at comcast would send a NAK, which caused the lease to fail and my device would start over. the new request always worked (for the same ip even). it was like the request vs renew messages were getting routed to different dhcp servers on their side.

after talking to a friend of a friend at comcast, i discovered that the 2-hour lease timer was abnormal; they usually set it low like that when they're going to do a maintenance. so if you're still getting 2-hour leases, a dhcp server somewhere in their network is on maintenance-mode.

i ended up fixing the issue by regenerating a new MAC address on my virtual router's WAN port because there was literally zero way to contact anyone at comcast with any capacity to actually fix the issue