Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

carry on then posted:

you've never worked on anything at scale have you?

what has anything "at scale" ever done for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jimmy Carter posted:

OkCupid ran their entire site on 5 servers in 2012 how did we stray so far from the god's light

i don't deal with code so my cynical assumption is that a lot of "scaling" is basically "if we can fully automate spinning up and tearing down server instances, it won't matter how often our shoddy code crashes!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
OKCupid was able to make their own web server software alongside building their entire website with a dev team of ten people?

how many thousands of shithead devs does twitter employ again?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

the whole k8s thing feels like everybody collectively gave up on building server applications that can be configured and reloaded and just agreed to install factories that could create dumb murderable micro computers by the thousand. i don't care for it in most cases

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't deal with code so my cynical assumption is that a lot of "scaling" is basically "if we can fully automate spinning up and tearing down server instances, it won't matter how often our shoddy code crashes!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

abigserve posted:

The 6500 was the last good platform cisco ever made, along with the tank of the closet - the 3750G

Had one of those bad boys running at Darwin in a literal workshop for 5 years, went up to replace it and found the thing covered in dust, like it was literally brown. Still worked.

The 6800 would have sunk any other company it was that bad

looked up the 3750 and holy poo poo

quote:

Series Release Date 14-APR-2003
End-of-Sale Date 14-MAY-2016

jesus christ almighty

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazinsal posted:

I still have nightmares sometimes about being the only cisco guy on my team available for a support call we got out of the blue where a network fell apart and just was being completely loving non-deterministic because hooking up a bunch of nexus 5Ks and 9Ks in a certain way caused ARP packets to just occasionally disappear if they had to cross virtual switching trunks

:stonk:

that is absolutely horrifying. fuuuuuck

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wouldn’t it be a lot simpler to just take a backup of the unifi controller

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fresh_cheese posted:

hft? gently caress no this is generic moving money around bank poo poo.

from my almost-entirely uneducated perspective, the environment you've described seems incredibly bodged-together for "generic moving money around bank" poo poo

like is this some startup whose gimmick is "we're spending x% less on IT than the competition because we're always near or at max hardware utilization" hence the criticality of "we can't do routing because that would eat a CPU cycle and every cycle not spent on 'moving money' costs us money"?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
sorry, i know that's a bit cynical of me. i really am curious to know more about what motivated the decisions that brought you to this point. i also understand if you can't get into much more detail due to security or nda concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Progressive JPEG posted:

hey whats a reasonable way to handle two ISPs in a home situation

like if i had a WISP and a 4g modem that have similar speeds. thinking load could be distributed across both, rather than doing a priority failover setup

don't really know what i should be looking for here

multi-wan is the term you're looking for