Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

openshift more like openSHIT

nah actually seems like it might be kinda nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

websphere in kubernetes is a real thing that some people actually want to do

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Share Bear posted:

its not just kubernetes as a name, it seems like they named everything in common parlance for infrastructure in a way to try to get people to use the google names

ms and amazon too, where aws is 1st best at this and kubernetes is a close 2nd
i hate it, ingress my assss

get back in your pod

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ploft-shell crab posted:

any of y’all tenants trying to get you to run a god dang “service mesh”? idk what real problems these things are trying to solve, I think they’re just inventing stuff for themselves to do
MICROSERVICES!!!!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

istio is for when kube doesn't have enough moving parts for your taste

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

wilford brimley: kuberneetus

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

animist posted:

i have an idea. what if, instead of repeatedly reinventing the operating system layer of our software on top of previous operating system layers, we made one operating system layer, and then stopped.

like say ive got some tensorflow code. so instead of running the code in a tensorflow vm on top of a python vm on top of a service mesh on top of a docker container on top of a kubernetes pod on top of a kubelet on top of a linux kernel on top of a VMWare hypervisor on top of a linux kernel i could simply run the code directly ???

food for thought

you've never worked on anything at scale have you?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

don't forget the reason for half those vms is some level of insulation from the other garbage code your code needs to potentially run on the same bare metal as and not be affected by

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

animist posted:

ya this is fair. i just always have this nagging sensation of "i'm pretty sure that this could be simpler." maybe that's just entropy beckoning me to cut the power cables

nothing beyond a couple hundred users lol. my opinions should not be trusted

I mean that’s not a knock on what you do and tbh at that level yeah, most of this is overkill and you’re better off not using it

it’s just there does come a point in size where some of this stuff starts to make a lot more sense, but the way this industry works everyone’s gotta use the latest fad whether it makes sense or not

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you're the one who keeps getting more and more hostile. no one owes you the response you want. if you don't like the ones you're getting, you don't have to keep posting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It will probably be fine OP

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

this is genuinely no different than it has been for the past two decades at least

i've been told a couple of times the design philosophy of websphere was "make bad apps run good"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cri-o

pods

cri-o pods

get it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Tankakern posted:

i once set up openssh through cygwin on a windows machine maybe 10 years ago

that's my windows shell story hope you liked it

i did it last month!!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah but the test runner that needs to connect expects a Cygwin environment because of laziness

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

sshing into a box and getting powershell is definitely a spit take for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

my stepdads beer posted:

windows releaed a server product with no gui with 2012 I think, I'm sure you can do everything

according to the grey forums there’s still tons of things that won’t work on server core for basically no good reason