Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I feel like if you spent loads of figgies on hiring some really good k8s engineers to run it and tell you how to do everything it could be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Partycat posted:

that is how eduroam operates

https://www.eduroam.org/how/

"3 easy steps"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

doesn't stack overflow run on some tiny amount of servers as well

yeah it's all sql server and like one search index . https://nickcraver.com/blog/2013/11/22/what-it-takes-to-run-stack-overflow/

quote:

When you remove redundancy here’s what Stack Exchange needs to run (while maintaining our current level of performance):

2 SQL servers (SO is on one, everything else on another…they could run on a single machine still having headroom though)
2 Web Servers (maybe 3, but I have faith in just 2)
1 Redis Server
1 Tag Engine server
1 elasticsearch server
1 Load balancer
1 Network
1 ASA
1 Router

(we really should test this one day by turning off equipment and seeing what the breaking point is)

that's fewer the startup i work for which has like 10 customers

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

GenJoe posted:

while we're on this topic, I have a project that uses postgresql and I'm worried about its read/write performance, particularly when accessing it with dapper. I haven't done anything fancier than set up a base postgres with docker and make a few tables:

code:
        const int RUNS = 1000;

Stopwatch stopwatch = new Stopwatch();
        stopwatch.Start();
        for (int i = 0; i < RUNS; i++)
        {
            var transaction = _connection.BeginTransaction();
            _connection.Query("SELECT id FROM backend_character where id = 2", transaction);
            transaction.Commit();   
        }

stopwatch.Stop();
all on an SSD, takes 2.5 seconds, so 400 TPS.

pgbench is giving me these stats for a select-only test:

code:
pgbench -c 1 -T 30 -S
tps = 4302.334840
what am I supposed to expect as reasonable for modern DB performance? I'm not database guy and have no idea where we're at with modern server throughput etc.

idk what to expect in your exact case, but dapper is pretty fast (there are probably a bunch of driver options you can play with. you should also consider what parts are actually going to be sync etc, e.g. your demo is fully parallelizable and the db will generally handle this well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hope you like yaml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

my edge case is specifically for when I don't want to use teamviewer (coz otherwise I just use teamviewer, including from my phone and ipade)

I want terminal access. not shiny pictures

putty. the ui sucks but it works fine