Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

abigserve posted:

also talk about putting packets in pipes and how you have to put in a major change request to scratch your own taint

feelin' real called out right now

had to put in a change request the other day to get someone to pull an unplugged, powered off device from a rack, because it's in our HQ and we don't want to do anything that could possibly disturb the bean counters. our security architect caught wind of this, went into the closet, and just pulled the thing out at noon on a friday :v:

also the cloud is bad unless you're partnered-with-amazon level of pouring money into it and I'm disappointed we're moving towards it as a secondary "datacenter" instead of spending the nine hundo a month for a quarter rack colo and just shoving a couple pizza boxes and storage arrays in there with a router for DMVPN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

graph posted:

im a vm/vdi wrangler

same. we have like, one service that runs in a bunch of docker and it's absolute trash and needs to be rebuilt regularly. I don't think anyone even uses it other than the former devops guy who is now the pre-sales manager (and thus no longer doing neither dev nor ops)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psiox posted:

hate to be a conspiracy dork but i really get the impression that google is trying to kill GCP

well yeah after a few years of a google product existing, googlers stop finding ways to use it to get promoted

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jeoh posted:

i found out this week that you can't do ipv6 between azure vms and basically anything that isn't a load balancer

what's the loving deal with cloud providers half-assing their ipv6 implementations anyway

saves money. no point properly implementing something the overwhelming majority of people are going to fully utilize.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Uh hello? The 6500 is a SWITCH and the 7600 is a ROUTER, GOD. gb2ccna

the 12000 was a "gigabit switch router"! :eng101:

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 11, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

k8s exists due to google cargo culting and associated marketing, FOMO, and need for new HR screening check boxes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the cloud is for companies with more money than sense

e: and companies with neither and a CTO who's seen too many seminars about opex vs capex

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

are CDN egress charges for file download still nuts? last time I looked at it was around the time that Blizzard got so tired of paying for them that they put a torrent tracker and client into the WoW patch system

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my home router is an openbsd vm running on a former amazon ec2 pizza box that got transplanted into a 4U case

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sniep posted:

you must be old at amazon to have walked out a piece of AWS gear holy christ

nope, found it on an auction site that did not last for long before it disappeared. not sure how many of them were sold (they weren’t branded as Amazon on the auction site and had all the markings scraped off) but the PCI vendor IDs on everything on the motherboard has Amazon as either the primary vendor or subvendor so they’re real

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rhymes with meatus

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

i'm glad docker isn't the fad anymore because it's a lot harder to intentionally mangle the name of it

kubberneetus

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

and server iirc

think you need to turn the server on in the features control panel though

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i have the best cert, which is an expired ccna

the first part is important

every 2 years and 11 months I just go write the ccnp switch to renew my ccna because it looks like progress and it's the easiest of the ccnp exams

maybe if finishing more certs meant I got paid more I'd consider it but while I'm dreaming I'd also like a house and a 1994 acura nsx

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

in absolute awe at this lovely bug entry

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truga posted:

there's a native SSH server in windows these days

i have no idea where tho, it was in services on my old install, now it isn't. probably have to click something 17 screens into settings

windows key -> "manage optional features"

your .sshd_config file will be in %ProgramData%\ssh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

doesn't support tunnelling yet but it does scp, sftp, and ssh-agent stuff just fine

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

server core was really meant for running a hyper-v host and that's about it, the idea being that you'd have a bunch of headless hyper-v host with no need to RDP into them running server core, and then you would buy and use system center

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Windows 10 steadily started improving as soon as satya stopped looking at the dev team with intent of satyaing up the project

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

nthing that vscode is the poo poo. the new windows terminal is quite nice. I use it for ssh now instead of putty since it’s xterm compliant and poo poo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

juniper rules and cisco drools

juniper has much better price/perf and price/features ratios. cisco however has the old adage "nobody was ever fired for buying a cisco" and that’s why 90% of my employer’s enterprise networking business is still cisco

juniper utterly wipes the floor with them in education and service provider though on account of the equivalent cisco boxes being four or five times the price and questionably functional. the 6800s were a mistake on the same scale as my posting

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

haha you would at Fastly! we dont use routers

I applaud your networking team for freeing themselves from the shackles of conventional hardware and embracing the software defined chaos and making it work

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

they put all their eggs in "fabric" without actually putting any effort into it, basically. all sorts of virtual switching features that often didn't work right, and a design built around the idea that you would connect and provision dozens of "instant access" switches attached to it that were actually just 2960Xes with a different IOS image on them that couldn't officially be used as standalone switches until the platform finally went so badly to poo poo that they released an official guide to converting them from 6800IAs to 2960Xes.

catalyst 6800s may be one of the shortest lived cisco product lines. you can still buy them but the 9400 and 9600 lines basically replaced them outright in like three years flat

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

abigserve posted:

At the time cisco also wanted to push the nexus line as the "do everything" box, except it was notably missing a ton of features and had one of the most poorly implemented high availability models ever

Basically the 6800 should have been a replacement 6500, but it wasn't, because cisco ACTUALLY wanted you to buy nexus, but they also couldn't perform the same role the 6500s did so a simple drop in replacement meant major redesign and the new designs were clearly far worse.

I still have nightmares sometimes about being the only cisco guy on my team available for a support call we got out of the blue where a network fell apart and just was being completely loving non-deterministic because hooking up a bunch of nexus 5Ks and 9Ks in a certain way caused ARP packets to just occasionally disappear if they had to cross virtual switching trunks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2015/pdf/BRKCRS-3502.pdf

good slide deck on the intended architecture of the 6800 family and what they were hoping for people to want to implement it as. they didn't build it to just be a 6500 replacement, so it suffered when used as such. if anything you were supposed to up-convert your 6500E chassis to 6800s by buying 6800 line cards and replacing your SUP720s with SUP2Ts so you could have all the new 6800 fabric features without needing to unrack your core switch and rack a new one.

they 100% designed it expecting people to want to have their access switches be fabric extenders controlled by the core switch halfway across town connected via a DWDM link. abigserve is right, the 6800 by all rights would have ruined any other network company

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have a 2960-S at home from when we were throwing out like half our lab and the boss said "take what you want and leave the asset tag on the shipping desk so logistics can mark it as destroyed"

in retrospect I should have grabbed more poo poo but I also had enough of a hard time lugging a switch and a couple discombobulated PCs home on the train

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my homie dhall posted:

content delivery notwork

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

condolences for your stress levels this morning

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the perfect mid-range of seniority, nice. that's my goal in life (that and many more figgies)

speaking of networking/infra, just got fiber to the home installed. gigabit symmetrical, speeds in practice are actually hitting it too. hell of an upgrade from my previous 600/30 cable connection. :toot:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oof. if the yosnas gets supplanted by a yostracker or something I will pledge my upload speed to maintaining it

Shaggar posted:

i get 400/30 service for $90. they have "gig" service but they mandate you use their networking gear so i passed

rude. no bridged option or anything? I just have OLT -> GPON -> ONT -> 1000BASE-T -> 2960S -> firewall which is still a few more steps than I'd like but my switch is about 30 feet from the fibre handoff and there's nowhere near enough slack to run it through the walls etc.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

existing network appliances piss me off so much I'm writing a routing/firewall OS

currently working on L3/L4 filtering, then after that, a higher performance forwarding table. current one is fast enough with just a handful of routes in it but I suspect with thousands of routes it'd be a bit too sluggish so I'll need to implement something like a 256-way trie

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cumulus is neat but they should open source their switch ASIC drivers. insanely fuckin dumb that you can buy "white box" switches that only work with two OSes (cumulus and Dell FTOS)

open network install environment: a busybox ramdisk in an EFI system partition so you can have the freedom to choose which closed source network OS you wish to use

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my edge is an openbsd vm and my switch is a cisco gigabit switch that isn't noticeably loud that work was throwing out

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sniep posted:

i "started work" today

i already have self approval on MRs and admin on the repos and like too much

i am not ready for this yet, i am baby TPM

SRE is scary

hire me, I'll fix it all for a paltry 200k/year

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

terror form

:hmmyes:

all this terraform chat reminds me of the time that we sold this big fancy cloud based terraform powered… thing to some company. we nobody except the person who designed it knew how it worked and before our managed services team could take it over the company folded.

turns out “cloud based app for experimentally treating victorian era style diagnoses of hysteria with ketamine” isn’t exactly a business model that promotes long term growth

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i didnt know you worked for musk!

I can’t remember the name of the company but in retrospect that does seem like the kind of insane poo poo he’d try to make happen

thankfully they were just a client and we already got their money before they folded lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

in a well actually posted:

juniper’s “commit confirmed” is a favorite, which has saved me more than once.

much more elegant than "reload in 5" and yoloing your config snippets in with your fingers crossed

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

modern wifi has the throughput but latency and especially jitter still sucks, especially over distance and I know from painful first-hand knowledge that unifi APs will happily start doing weird mesh poo poo if they lose an uplink. probably better than losing your connection entirely but it makes isolating the fault a pain in the rear end

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

my son was getting 20ms ping on fortnite from my asus router which tbh surprised me

but didn’t know about the mesh stuff … 😅

yeah I had some really fun times a few weekends back when a unifi setup on a floor at a customer lost its uplinks during a cutover and immediately blew the network up when it started meshing and causing loops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

put a cat6 utp jack point up in your bathroom

no no, you're supposed to run fiber there for the ultimate high speed low latency posting station