Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

big mtu boiz 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

has anyone moved from a network where your core speaks bgp to mpls where only your edge needs to? any pitfalls? I am tempted as the QFX range seems to be a bargain but won't take a full table

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean kinda? fastly doesn't use routers. all of our switches get peering/transit jammed into them and we run bird on all the cache nodes to wrangle bgp bc commodity cpu is cheap. it's saved us millions in worthless cisco expenses

hmm I am having trouble understand how this works, so your l3 switches get a summary table from bird?

abigserve posted:

you still need iBGP or whatever other protocol to advertise the routes throughout the core to populate the LIB. MPLS doesn't replace a routing protocol it just changes the way the lookup is performed for a packet as it transits the network.

That doesn't mean you have to publish the full table into your core though, so I'd be considering why that was ever a requirement.

yeah I've labbed it in VMs and have iBGP between my PE routers and OSPF with MPLS hanging off that. our current 'core' is .. please don't make me talk about our currently core. it was before my time.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ohhh yeah that's a great idea. gives me something to think about. I'm not keen on MPLS as i don't want any of the advanced features at this stage. thanks

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I thought maybe for RRs but for actually forwarding? what kind of speeds can you get on some normal hardware?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the russians used virtual machines

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

asdf

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah it works okay and it would be far too annoying to change at this point

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

thinking about doing the juniper service provider track to brush up, anyone know any decent online courses? also I only have cisco experience so it will be nice to branch out a bit

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

abigserve posted:

More like IPv6000 years to implement!!

We had a full ipv6 dual stack deployment at a relatively large place and it legitimately didn't cause many issues and any they did were purely server/client implementation related. Why an ISP wouldn't already provide it I have nfi.

a bunch of stuff didn't support SLAAC+DHCPv6 PD for ages or required new hardware
also on the cisco 9k agg platform doing dual stack halves your qos queue capacity as each protocol uses a queue slot
also old network engineers refusing to learn new things

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

whats a good san I can put cheap consumer ssds in

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

abigserve posted:

fill a small nas with 'em. I assume for home use, you can get a mini-itx case with like 8 drive slots (at least, there's probably even bigger ones)

just a thought exercise to see how cheap it could be vs a HPE MSA or whatever

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

OkCupid ran their entire site on 5 servers in 2012 how did we stray so far from the god's light

doesn't stack overflow run on some tiny amount of servers as well

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Absolutely. Everything in AWS is virtualized anyway (i.e. customers have no knowledge of what IP is actually carrying their traffic between VPCs/regions) and I'm pretty sure most of AWS internal infra is ipv6 already. Plus isn't that how docker works? All the apps think they are running on 192.168.0.1 or whatever.

I thought docker did serious nat fuckery instead of ipv6

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

depends on their automation and monitoring I guess

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cheque_some posted:

sounded like getting that set up would be part of my job

sounds like a fun challenge to me tbh

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i set up rancher (pre k8s version) ages ago for running a few internal tools that have wild plang dependencies and it's been rock solid. is their k8s version any good?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

k8s is pretty decent if you design your app to run on it.

one nice thing about php apps is they're stateless by nature so nicely suited to scale-out and containerization

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Cerberus911 posted:

Some SREs want to start using terraform to deploy to kubernetes. Their intention is to replace kustomize so I don’t fault them, but it still doesn’t seem like a good idea. Anyone gone down that path before?

sounds like its going to be their problem

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

love to wake up to a wall of red alarms that might have been prevented if the hardware we ordered from juniper last year wasn't delayed due to the global chip shortage

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

windows comes with a ssh client now I think

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

sure certs are cool but have you worked in networking without any

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

windows releaed a server product with no gui with 2012 I think, I'm sure you can do everything

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my homie dhall posted:

Dear Mister “I don’t route or bridge my LANs”
This will be the last frame I ever send your rear end
I’ve sent six ARPs and still no word, I don't deserve it?
I know you got my last two packets, I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

today i accidentally got one of our transit providers to give me transit over their peering exchange, oops

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah typically the app has to have some shared state to accommodate the VIP changing between nodes

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i was going to jump on oVirt for an open source HCI for our next POP but apparently red hat is going to focus on openstack in future instead of this. anyone have any opinions about hypervisors and sans for me to look at? ideally open source with paid support

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

finally moved all our remaining bgp off our ancient 6500 platforms this week. the poor old dears have been screaming about the size of the bgp table for ages now

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lots of mx204s. they are great so far. much prefer working with lots of little routers instead of a few big ones tbh

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

im layer3 switching

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the v6 table is much smaller currently
https://bgp.potaroo.net/v6/as2.0/index.html

check out that curve though

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

aww! routers! I remember those.

things are going to get interesting when pci 5 is available. pci 3/4 isn't fast enough yet

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

what was so bad about the 6800? just seems like a beefier 6500?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lmao

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

very weird traffic tonight on our network. good luck jony

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

CLI? How quaint. I do 90% of my configuration via yaml and jinja templates over an API. Want to start implementing OpenConfig too.

same. most network vets treat it as high advanced technology but it's really straight forward and so much easier in the long run. especially if you have ansible experience with server stuff

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

existing network appliances piss me off so much I'm writing a routing/firewall OS

currently working on L3/L4 filtering, then after that, a higher performance forwarding table. current one is fast enough with just a handful of routes in it but I suspect with thousands of routes it'd be a bit too sluggish so I'll need to implement something like a 256-way trie

can you do something fancy with eBPF

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

agreed. I'm using the iptables wrapper for it atm

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

what manufacturers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

abigserve posted:

Many years ago a place once did a similar thing but they bought McAfee (RIP) IPS's and they loaded the same BoM up with their siem, their sandboxing, and about 3 other things I don't know what the gently caress they did

yadda yadda yadda they were all in boxes for multiple years and everyone involved got asked to leave. We eventually shipped them all - still in the original boxes w/ tape - to the IT recyclers

edit; re-reading this it implies that maybe that's like 5 boxes total but no. it was at least 15 boxes all up

my company ran exclusively on 'gray market' hardware for years (way predating me) thanks to purchasing decisions like this 🙏