Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Progressive JPEG posted:

istio specifically is google trying to regain control over (some aspect of) k8s regardless of whether the functionality even makes sense at that layer

also the istio code is a mass of spaghetti. for example all external-dns 32 bit builds panic after running several minutes because they import some istio client library, which launches static background timer threads when the client module itself is imported (as opposed to when it’s actually inited/used), which then eventually crash after several minutes due to unaligned atomics in some istio base library

welp thanks for turning me off to istio

agreed that service meshes are smarter than dealing with a mess of load balancers etc but dang. consul connect looks interesting but i no longer use many hashicorp products in infrastructure outside of terraform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
hate to be a conspiracy dork but i really get the impression that google is trying to kill GCP

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
while the per-hour cost isn't that crazy, i thought that anybody using kubernetes is actually running N^2 kubernetes cluster instances to test that their poo poo won't break

every day it feels like it's just the new openstack

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
somedays i'm really glad to just have to deal with ecs

it Just Works and isn't trying to be too goddamn clever about anything

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i still think it's cool that the livejournal people made lasting contributions to distributed computin'

also too bad okcupid is owned by the match people now or i'd be tempted to use it. oh well, too late to enter that game anyway now that we're in the cool zone

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
okay i'll bite as someone doing a lot of vms on hosts all over the place (libvirt w/ kvm/qemu)

should i be doing something more clever than bridging these to the host's main interface (yes it's a flat network but the number of nodes at any given time is <100)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

oh neat side project here: i realized that i have a spare gig port on both the linux server and my nas, so i ran a patch cable and moved all the NFS mounts to go over that. now qbittorrent can move completed linux isos to the nas at full gigabit while also downloading more linux isos at full gigabit

i only recently realized that i could use the openvswitch install on my synology (part of the virt host thing?) and use that as a switch to supplement my meager router. now everything actually has an ethernet port hell yeah

(this is what i get for being obsessive about low-power routers that have like 2 ports)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cidrick posted:

so did I, but it's true

each day we stray further from g-d's light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

this is insane

just use raw dnsmasq, or if you want a real easy prebaked solution, openwrt in a vm