Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I still shill for microtik.

i'm installing an all mikrotik net tomorrow. 3 cap ax access points with two bonded gigabit uplinks back to a crs328. crs328 has a 10g link to a ccr2004 with 5gbit comcast service.

i figure this should be a nice step up from the 500/35 docsis connection we currently use with comcast provided router/ap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

a startup without proper process controls, what a surprise

if you're an early ops hire, it's your job to establish those process controls

now excuse my while i sob into this stack of soc2 paperwork

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bgp all the things. routing to the edge with a bird on every server

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

abigserve posted:

the idea of hosted terraform is pretty solid as it saves a lot of time writing CD pipelines and managing your statefiles and stuff. The problem is Terraform enterprise sucks and has sucked for many years. This change won't make people buy TF enterprise, it'll make them spend the time doing it themselves instead.

the problem with hosted terraform is it's the juiciest of all targets

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

before you head out the door, fire off a little `terraform apply -auto-approve`. maybe yell yolo while doing so

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

comcast is finally delivering my fiber circuit this week, so i'm getting my side of the network closet prepared. using all mikrotik gear -- ccr2004 as the edge router. it's a dead simple office network with everyone behind one big nat today.

for the new circuit, comcast is giving me both a /30 "wan" network, and a /28 "lan" network. is there a good reason not to just nat out from my address in the /30, and set the /28 aside for future "dmz" style use?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

that should work without any issues

but it would be “cleaner” to take a single /32 out of that /28 to be the nat pool address, while keeping the remaining addresses for future use, and make the setup more vendor neutral should someone someday want to replace the mikrotik

what's more vendor neutral about this? (not arguing, just looking to understand)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

how much bw does the switch in the house have to the internet, and if the answer is more than 1gigabit, do you want the sleep out to be able to consume more than 1gigabit

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, if they don't need more than 1gb total, run two lines like j290 said, and just leave one disconnected. put a combo access point/switch in the sleepout and call it a day

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

netbox: marry, gently caress, kill?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

im trying to figure out ipv6 poo poo on my home router and am loving how uninformative all the UX is. i configure pfsense LAN to track the WAN interface that is definitely getting an address, can see a router advertisement coming through and... have absolutely no feedback as to why the router is not picking up the advertised prefix and assigning addresses from it

go figure, i actually finally need it sorta, to help diagnose behavior for ipv6-only customers from a home lab

this is annoyingly complicated by my router inexplicably losing the ability to determine a media type correctly after boot. first negotiation properly selects gigabit and gets both family addresses, any attempt to release and renew after makes the interface flap constantly and somehow only get one address family at a time

which provider are you on?

sometimes you need to use various stupid tricks to get ipv6 to anything but the router -- sometimes 6rd, sometimes dhcp-pd

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pretty sure they do dhcp-pd

make sure you have dhcpv6 turned on for your wan interface, not just slaac, then configure the lan interface to track the wan interface

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just got a new cage full of 20kw racks in kentucky

lets burn some coal!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'm thinking about going all fiber at the new place, with the exception of access points

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i have a couple years of penance left to pay, so i feel you on that.

nothing like having to make absurd offers like a year's rent as deposit to get anyone to talk to you about renting

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

why bother with mm when single mode is so cheap and forward compatible

run some os2, terminate with lc, forget about it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

twinax and 10gbase-cx or gtfo

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i am advocating 10G copper

twinax 4 lyfe

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

about a year ago when our options for internet access for a company wide gathering was either whatever garbage the hotel was charging $3k/day for versus starlink we asked for a demo of their wifi and also threw down a starlink terminal and some random gear from our lab to provide wireless and firewalling for it.

the starlink terminal with no constellation training pulled 600 Mbps in the middle of loving nowhere. the hotel's "premium" wifi was doing about 2 Mbps per device

I hope elon musk gets every cancer known to god and man but starlink works pretty drat well

event center wifi is cursed. it's a surprise you didn't have to pay off a union at $1.5k/day just to be allowed to bring in your own gear.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

don't get me wrong, i'm all for unions, but the poo poo pulled at event centers is wild. thousands of dollars to to both the event center and union to bring in your own gear, attendees getting screamed at because they moved a chair from one table to another. presenters getting screamed at because they dare plug a laptop into an outlet. ugh.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

yeah but they’re just extorting megacorps that have the money so it’s a net good

megacorps as well as academic conferences, as well as pinball tournaments...

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

any recommendations on a reputable ipv4 broker?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

if you're routing your rdma packets, you already lost the war

rocev2 is loving stupid, ib4ever

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

if your rdma network sits on top of ip or even ethernet, you are already hosed

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bare metal plus infiniband. raw verbs or ucx, no ip

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

why ospf over ibgp

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

can ospf do anycast?

my main use case for ibgp at the server is ha dns and such

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lol if you use rpi

$250k supermicros or gtfo

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

chuck it all in the bin and go play pinball

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

get an asn and a /24, then peer with each isp via bgp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

we got a bunch of purestorage along with a cluster at work. seems neat/fast, but wasn't what we ordered. asked for vast/weka/pnfs, got network block storage. thankfully bizdev rammed the deal though before anyone could object, so i guess i get to build a solution on top of purestorage now