Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a very misleading statement since the system is bound to be bad either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lot of projects, and their requirements, don't care about scaling for various reasons. and i honestly don't see that much of a point to k8s if you don't have reasonably complex scaling needs. some people think it is good for management too, but i think there is a touch of stockholm syndrome happening there when not in a complex scaling scenario.

not caring about scaling is not the realm only of smaller-scale projects either. stock trading systems was already brought out, and the latencies involved are only part of the reason why k8s may not be ideal. the (entrenched in business) approach when faced with any deterioration of the environment is to halt the system (after some fixed failovers). trying to keep the system limping along, serving requests best-effort, while spinning up additional instances or whatever is sure to create some extremely unfair scenarios (one client having better access, or plain luck, than another). i.e.: the system doing its job worse is worse than it just not trying to do its job at all.

plus how difficult it is to make the situation not be extremely uncertain for the system participants.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have still never in my career written software which was not targeted to run on a known physical internally managed machine, and i think this will be my curmudgeon rubicon where i will forever go 'hrumph' about doing anything else.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as a young lad i was always a bit perplexed with old greybeards who refused to learn all the cooler modern stuff and went on about ye olde trash. but as i have opted to never learn the intricacies of web tech or container orchestration i now see that i am well on the path myself.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jeoh posted:

vs code?

a lot of that is atom work from github though.

it is a kind of badly put question though. sure, microsoft doesn't come out with a whole lot of singular "products" often anymore, but new stuff is frequently added to e.g. the o365, azure and xbox umbrellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

i have a mikrotik dish for getting wifi to distant locations and i can now say that its config is more inscrutable than just doing it in linux from scratch

an upside for mikrotik is that it is surprisingly *easier* to find information/docs/support for than from scratch options