Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

my stepdads beer posted:

has anyone moved from a network where your core speaks bgp to mpls where only your edge needs to? any pitfalls? I am tempted as the QFX range seems to be a bargain but won't take a full table

i mean kinda? fastly doesn't use routers. all of our switches get peering/transit jammed into them and we run bird on all the cache nodes to wrangle bgp bc commodity cpu is cheap. it's saved us millions in worthless cisco expenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

my stepdads beer posted:

hmm I am having trouble understand how this works, so your l3 switches get a summary table from bird?

theyre not even layer 3. so we have X switches which are per-transit, and then each machine gets 1 10g pipe to each of X switches. bgp is on the node so it knows which interface is the preferred path for Y IP block.

this is super fun and powerful esp if you can visualize bgp updates being pushed globally in a second or two. given that we have about 12% of web traffic behind us, it's a bit of a firehose. we never use it maliciously of course but we can route around outages really hard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a genuine question for all the k8s wranglers:

what was wrong with docker and fleetctl?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Turnquiet posted:

everyone who keeps pushing radius over a restful protocol that can do all it does and more is the reason why most enterprise practitioners keep designing new services on windows servers. its like they love tending their beautiful bonsai tree garden of infrastructure instead of realizing that anything ops related is poo poo-tier work that needs to be minimized so we can get a good night's sleep and focus on more interesting problems.

the only problem with this argument is that those more interesting problems will be solved by somebody else.

radius is job preservation, and i can respect that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we have some former letsencrypt employees and they manage certs for over 100M domains on a half rack of servers somewhere

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the whole k8s thing feels like everybody collectively gave up on building server applications that can be configured and reloaded and just agreed to install factories that could create dumb murderable micro computers by the thousand. i don't care for it in most cases

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tortilla_chip posted:

I suspect most organizations doing multi-cloud deployments at scale aren't paying list for ingress/egress traffic.

confirm that deals are often cut, yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can often find interesting deals when you voltron a couple partnered providers together too. Like if you use Azure backends for your website, and use Fastly for CDN, you don't pay Azure anything for egress traffic. we worked out a deal there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

12 rats tied together posted:

The biggest issue we had was when someone spun up a huge kafka cluster across 6 AZs which started incurring geometrically increasing transfer fees as the brokers started doing replication poo poo

haha yeeeeeeep

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo do not loving tell me you run yosslack in a browser

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh tahts right you have an obama's-first-term air for your personal, all is forgiven

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cannot wait until M2 comes out and allows more ram and i buy myself the first new laptop ive ever owned in my life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

and thats why i just skip all the unifi routers entirely, use edgemax for that, and then use unifi for the access points and switching which its fine for

also exactly what i do. unifi for the APs, edgerouter for the brain box

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
definitely search #teamviewer on twitter for a lot of excellent success stories

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not gonna tell you. gotta find out for yourself

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have the best cert, which is an expired ccna

the first part is important

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Got my expired ccnp, and also "Worked at Cisco" on my resume :cool:

hell yeah thats the way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like what do you even do after you ssh into a windows machine. lol check it out i can run 'dir' OVER THE INTERNET

how complete is their ssh server? can you do reverse port maps? tunneling? scp transfers? or is it "yeah baby look at that prompt. linus start your photocopier"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fair nuff. baby steps. go microsoft! You'll get to the level of functionality of a 2003 debian cd eventually, we're all rooting for you. hang in there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just do support tickets im not qualified to advise but joao is a genius and it sucks he doesnt still work here. that talk is good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah chash is cool as hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
aww! routers! I remember those.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

"nobody was ever fired for buying a cisco"

haha you would at Fastly! we dont use routers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

I applaud your networking team for freeing themselves from the shackles of conventional hardware and embracing the software defined chaos and making it work

Yeah, it was a day 1 thing. our founder didn't want to gently caress with Cisco leases or purchases and all the attendant trappings so we just run all our transits and peering into Juniper switches, each cache machine gets a line to each switch, and we do all the BGP right on the boxes with bird. It lets us do some pretty wild poo poo and yeah, scales big

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont even know, man

i know, but i'd be fired if i told you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i honestly don't have anything to do; the lower tier support folks are handling the tickets and the higher tier eng/release folks are fixing the problem. so thats nice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm on 120/15 cable for $90 a month. go to hell lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well i WAS going to buy a 2 bay syno, load it with 14t drives in a mirror and park it at a colo that gives symmetrical no-cap gigabit for $29 a month but then that stupid crypto poo poo happened and now platters are all a trillion dollars.

crypto dorks ruin everything they touch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes, the base ccna is what you want

jfyi

> so I can understand routing

easy peasy

> how to not be afraid of network device CLI's.

never goes away

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fresh_cheese posted:

anyone have good pihole block lists they’d recommend?

besides 0.0.0.0/0 and .* ?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
https://dbl.oisd.nl/
https://phishing.army/download/phishing_army_blocklist_extended.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/deathbybandaid/piholeparser/master/Subscribable-Lists/ParsedBlacklists/AakList.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/deathbybandaid/piholeparser/master/Subscribable-Lists/ParsedBlacklists/Prebake-Obtrusive.txt

bout 1.1m domains

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
get teh edgerouter and unifi ap yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got owned by a 0day on my old mikrotik and they opened the http proxy on my router and i got on all the open proxy lists and for a month i couldnt browse netflix, amazon, ebay etc because they just block everything on that list. gently caress mikrotik. yeah i guess its on me for not janitoring my router but still

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im on the gs108 switch i bought for hausbus. it runs on 12v. it never breaks. it's silent. it just works and i love it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Crow posted:

wanna here a funny tcp joke?

:xd:

I've got a pretty good UDP joke, but i'm not sure if you'll get it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that'd be cool though. Ive also got a joke about TCP replay attacks but you may have heard it before

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nudgenudgetilt posted:

bgp all the things. routing to the edge with a bird on every server

This is literally how Fastly works! we run bird on every cache machine and then just use fatty switches to link them all to transit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would wear out an mx cherry red question mark key typing as many as i need to express how i feel rn

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

turns out “cloud based app for experimentally treating victorian era style diagnoses of hysteria with ketamine” isn’t exactly a business model that promotes long term growth

i didnt know you worked for musk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that seems like a trap, yeah. keep your lan poo poo private.

only thing i can think of is NAT cpu usage, but if you enable hwnat offloading it should be fine. i run gig symmetric through a fuckin' edgerouter lite and it is just fine with hwnat enabled.