Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

s3 has a sql interface

:stonk:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

it shouldn’t be that horrifying, s3 isn’t ebs

i just get irrationally scared at the thought of s3 being thrown at literally everything

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

12 rats tied together posted:

i had a data warehousing team request like 90 something ec2 vertica nodes on i3 class instances, which they wanted us to configure some awful software raid poo poo on, we delivered the servers and the first thing they did was shut over half of them off "to save money", which wiped the instance store volumes and associated configs

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the cloud is good, Netflix runs in AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/netflix-case-study/

but all the actual video streaming is done from their own hardware caches/network because lol @ paying AWS internet egress charges: https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rip toriland

https://twitter.com/googlecloud/status/1369741749648818188?s=20

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jeoh posted:

all my certificates are self-signed

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

windows is very bad, which is why microsoft loves linux now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

Dear Mister “I don’t route or bridge my LANs”
This will be the last frame I ever send your rear end
I’ve sent six ARPs and still no word, I don't deserve it?
I know you got my last two packets, I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect

*drops mic onto infosec team’s heads*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

today i accidentally got one of our transit providers to give me transit over their peering exchange, oops

nice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

yeah maglev is one implementation, the others that I know about are katran and glb director. I was hoping there might be a more accessible thing to play around with

maybe it’s better to just use google cloud load balancers (and having some type of hybrid direct connection to google cloud to keep the rest of your poo poo on your own metal) instead of trying to reinvent a janky clone of it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

finally moved all our remaining bgp off our ancient 6500 platforms this week. the poor old dears have been screaming about the size of the bgp table for ages now

whatdya move to

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

lots of mx204s. they are great so far. much prefer working with lots of little routers instead of a few big ones tbh

juniper rules and cisco drools

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

juniper has much better price/perf and price/features ratios. cisco however has the old adage "nobody was ever fired for buying a cisco" and that’s why 90% of my employer’s enterprise networking business is still cisco

juniper utterly wipes the floor with them in education and service provider though on account of the equivalent cisco boxes being four or five times the price and questionably functional. the 6800s were a mistake on the same scale as my posting

also junos is good and ios is really really bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, it was a day 1 thing. our founder didn't want to gently caress with Cisco leases or purchases and all the attendant trappings so we just run all our transits and peering into Juniper switches, each cache machine gets a line to each switch, and we do all the BGP right on the boxes with bird. It lets us do some pretty wild poo poo and yeah, scales big

:gizz:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

paging jony290 to the thread

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

content delivery notwork

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

True story at my last place of work we had a separate IT department to handle user facing problems, wireless, running new desk-ports all that stuff, and he dotted line to the CTO who was in charge of prod networking and other stuff. Our closet infrastructure was Juniper (which I really don't like for switching infra, but i digress) . When we opened a new floor, IT dude who was hired because of nepotism of our previous HR director, didn't even do a bidding process and just bought all Cisco. The cisco sales team doing their thing loaded the BoM up with Cisco Prime, an ASA, 2x 4100 ISR's all for a loving wiring closet. Anyway he got fired.

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

i guess the reason as they point out is that cloudflare bans running benchmarks in their own tos lol

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I still shill for microtik.

:same:

MikroTik for routing/switching/simple VPNs if you can tolerate the hilarious hostile latvian support and buggy code, but their wifi tech has not keep up with any new standards (they can’t even don 802.11ac wave 2 except in their new beta poo poo)

im using tp-link’s omada line of business APs for wifi now with a controller, rock solid and a lot of features for the price (802.11k/v fast roaming, continuously updated firmware and new features, etc)

edit: a hardware dedicated controller (which can be powered off a poe switch) + two APs and one of their poe switches ran me less than $300 total

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 11, 2021

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i got owned by a 0day on my old mikrotik and they opened the http proxy on my router and i got on all the open proxy lists and for a month i couldnt browse netflix, amazon, ebay etc because they just block everything on that list. gently caress mikrotik. yeah i guess its on me for not janitoring my router but still

https://newsnationusa.com/news/technology/cyber-security/over-300000-mikrotik-devices-found-vulnerable-to-remote-hacking-bugs/

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i luv 2 network

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i have a good ipsec joke

it's just ipsec. all of it.

:cawg:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what an announcement

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

vanity slug posted:

hosted terraform

:stonk:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

this thread is making me thankful i do not have to janitor terraform

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wouldn’t it be a lot simpler to just take a backup of the unifi controller

seriously lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

comcast is finally delivering my fiber circuit this week, so i'm getting my side of the network closet prepared. using all mikrotik gear -- ccr2004 as the edge router. it's a dead simple office network with everyone behind one big nat today.

for the new circuit, comcast is giving me both a /30 "wan" network, and a /28 "lan" network. is there a good reason not to just nat out from my address in the /30, and set the /28 aside for future "dmz" style use?

that should work without any issues

but it would be “cleaner” to take a single /32 out of that /28 to be the nat pool address, while keeping the remaining addresses for future use, and make the setup more vendor neutral should someone someday want to replace the mikrotik

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

what's more vendor neutral about this? (not arguing, just looking to understand)

some routing gear (depending on the vendor/class of gear) might not support doing nat overload on the WAN interface at all

non-firewall juniper devices come to mind as an example

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

well I do already have some in my laundry so this makes sense

wheres moo cow mate?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

the sparky was laying the power in the trench and I went out and asked if he’d remembered the network cable and he was like gently caress imma have to dig that poo poo up lol

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a5minutebeatdown posted:

this loving partial connection is creating tiny swarms

102423_7 posted:

a fuse has been blown in this connection for over two hours

102423_8 posted:

i can't add to my swarm anymore for the rest of the day?

this guy does not gently caress

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

holey smokes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i prefer boxes of wine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

1 gbps is enough for your home you nerds

if you “need” 10 gig just run 10gbase-t so you at least your house will look normal with normal ethernet jacks

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

an underground point-to-point link between buildings is an acceptable residential usage of fiber

wiring up every outlet in the house with fiber is not

reminds me of some obvious grift my school district growing up contributed to in the late 90s/early 2000s, they wired all the classrooms with multimode fiber because "fiber is the future"

the fiber was never used

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

go out of this thread pls and ty

hey man, im not the one wanting to compensate for something with 10 gbps fiber at home itt

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

i have copper 10g to 2x ports per room.

i don't know why i'd run fiber since all the runs are under 30m

you can even do 10 gbps over copper up to 100m with CAT 6a

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

HPE is buying juniper lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

in a well actually posted:

hope: throw the four different legacy hpe switch platforms thrown out
reality: legacy networking leadership takes over juniper, shoves chatgpt ios interface on top of junos

lol