Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Jose posted:

Why would anyone come back to England

good point I might drive back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

I know GBS doesn't actually care much about cars in the technical sense but as an ~AI~ poster I would certainly like to know more. Heck a post over in AI would be the best but all the same, details PLEASE

I'm just annoyed he bolted on arches and put that awful bumper on the front... I would definitely like to know more though.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

My fav car ever. I have no idea why but the niva has always been they car I want to drive even though I have no idea if they’re any good.

Fantastic photos too very cool trip

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RideTheSpiral posted:

good point I might drive back

Can I come

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm just annoyed he bolted on arches and put that awful bumper on the front... I would definitely like to know more though.

it’s a Russian car. All the parts are garbage. Having said that the bumpers are the best part. They are solid iron and custom made

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Disappointed that it's not a zaporoshjets

But to be fair you'd probably die in one on those roads

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i knew a lady who married a cuban dude. he had that thing, you know, where dudes get to be 40 or 50 and they have some decent money coming in and they get onto a singleminded mission to reacquire a car of their youth. well this dude grew up in cuba, so his first car was a Lada. she told me several stories about the absolute wildass meandering hedgemaze of bureaucracy and paperwork it is to get a Lada imported into, not just the united states, but the singular worst state to try to import a foreign car into: california. so anyway he spends a couple years searching and finally finds one, same color, almost the same year, looks just like his baby. they consult with lawyers and import/export guys in like three different countries, get this thing shipped by land and sea, it shows up in the port of long beach and now they play the waiting game as it sits in customs. they just have to sit and wait and hope they have all the right loopholes exploited and paperwork filed. and it clears! he's reunited with his teenage car.

100 miles later the transmission just absolutely grenades. the engine's fine, but the transmission is beyond repair. so he starts searching for parts, a week after his half-decade search for his beloved soviet shitbox concluded.

I asked her why she puts up with this. her answer? "because this means he cant ever, never talk poo poo on anything i spend on. horses, motorcycles, don't matter. hes gotta keep his mouth shut for life."

seems like a pretty sweet deal for both of em tbh

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is a super cool thread OP, thanks for posting it.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

big nipples big life posted:

This is a super cool thread OP, thanks for posting it.

I will continue posting photos if there is some interest. It’s quite time consuming

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Well I'm really enjoying the photos, I'm sure others are as well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

RideTheSpiral posted:

it’s a Russian car. All the parts are garbage. Having said that the bumpers are the best part. They are solid iron and custom made

I mean what you've said here in those last two sentences doesn't exactly contradict the first two so I guess we're good?!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

did you put it in H

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
into the wakhan valley, along the afghan border. the road from hell. no car can survive this. repairs in every village.
most of the worlds heroin comes across this border and it has almost no security. :shrug:

military installation border of tajikistan, afghanistan, pakistan and china

hello from afghanistan

dushanbe. pretty weird place

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Years ago as a kid I was watching something on TV and idk why but they were driving tanks over cars and they tried it with a lada and the lada just bounced away undamaged

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a quick google did find me this and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE5_u-no8Zs

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hot lady poster, the universal garage decoration.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

did you pet the dogs

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

drat op this loving rules what languages do you speak that you can get help from all these random dudes?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

blatman posted:

did you put it in H

what does the "H" stand for

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to do a bunch of border crossings, and do you have to bribe anyone?

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
You are my hero OP.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Inept posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to do a bunch of border crossings, and do you have to bribe anyone?

massive pain in the arse. yes i paid the Kyrgyzstan authorities $100 because my transit document didn’t have any dates written on. Me and the border guards then wrote a random date on in pen

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Put it in-

blatman posted:

did you put it in H

Goddamnit!!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

God drat some of those photos are taken in beautiful places...

Also how many times have you had to stop because virtually every time the car is featured it has the bonnet up or someone underneath it. Are you keeping a solid list of repairs required?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What is your route? I'm a little confused because surely from Almaty you can go west through Russia into Europe and not due south?

Gorgeous pictures, looking forward to the rest!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Cool thread op. Keep posting!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm glad you have people in that white Land Cruiser shadowing you because doing it alone in that car lmao no way

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Did you go to Borat house

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!
Amazing pictures, OP, please continue to chronicle this mad quest.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Voted 5, keep posting OP.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

so whats it like traveling through this area as a white dude (or i guess, a person with hairy pale arms, i shouldn't presume). do you speak urdu? do you feel uncomfortable or is it generally pretty chill? do you have contingency plans for potential hazards like arrest or kidnapping? how much work was it getting all the required visas and travel papers and stuff?

glory to arztotska

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
What absolutely gorgeous country you're driving through. Amazing, amazing photos. Thread owns

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

OMGVBFLOL posted:

so whats it like traveling through this area as a white dude (or i guess, a person with hairy pale arms, i shouldn't presume). do you speak urdu? do you feel uncomfortable or is it generally pretty chill? do you have contingency plans for potential hazards like arrest or kidnapping? how much work was it getting all the required visas and travel papers and stuff?

glory to arztotska

you're damned if urdu and you're damned if urdon't, i thinjk

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Good thread. You have a big set of balls on you, too. I’m not sure I’d be up for a solo car journey through Afghanistan.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mozi posted:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Mozi posted:

oh great here we go afgain

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Current photo count:

Roadside maintenance: 3
At a mechanic: 4

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood