Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RideTheSpiral posted:

it’s sitting in the countryside. no idea what to do with it :shrug:

You should throw it up on Bring a Trailer with your story I bet someone would overpay for it.

I'd be tempted to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

You should throw it up on Bring a Trailer with your story I bet someone would overpay for it.

I'd be tempted to myself.

I dont really want to get rid of it because its an outrageously cool and unique car. Its a shame I live in London and cant really use it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RideTheSpiral posted:

I don’t really want to get rid of it because it’s an outrageously cool and unique car. It’s a shame I live in London and can’t really use it

Is it at least inside a structure of some kind because if it's out in the English countryside like in a field or something, well, you and I both know what will happen to it :smith:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

Is it at least inside a structure of some kind because if it's out in the English countryside like in a field or something, well, you and I both know what will happen to it :smith:

its under a tarpaulin. It sat on the steppe in the snow for 30 years so Im sure it will be fine

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I've always wanted to do this OP. You're awesome.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

RideTheSpiral posted:

didn’t really drive through it. the road is in Tajikistan. we went along the wakhan corridor from the bit where Tajikistan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China meet and the border is the river panj in the mountains. It’s crazy remote so you can walk across in places

I recall seeing a great documentary about that remote area. It looks amazing.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
[quote="RideTheSpiral" post="500847691"]

first test drive petrol coming out of fuel cap. oh well thatll probably sort itself out

"You buy big nails? I sell you big nails. You buy big nails now!"

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How safe is Afghanistan now a days? I remember back in the days, it was deemed an unsafe area to cross on account of the Taliban and all. Good to see things are looking better.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bioshuffle posted:

How safe is Afghanistan now a days? I remember back in the days, it was deemed an unsafe area to cross on account of the Taliban and all. Good to see things are looking better.

this seems like a sarcastic post but remote mountain areas that are cut off from the rest of the country and have always been safe enough

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Goldmine

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Hey, OP - thanks for posting all the purdy pictures.
This looks like it was a rather fun life experience despite the trouble of having to maintain that shitmobile.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Niva is surprisingly a better ride than Land Rover Defender. Back in the army we had both, and I'd always pick a bouncy and quirky Niva over Defender with its frighteningly vague steering. The foot pedals on the Niva were placed quite far up from the floor and the gear lever was placed a bit towards the right from you and it touched the passenger's seat when you switched in reverse. The engine and mechanics are a warmed-over 1966 design from Fiat 124.

I was a proud owner of a beige 2108 back then. God, I miss that car.

Baltics?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Just checking in to say this is all amazing. Great photos, what an adventure!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Is it true, in your experience op, that in Mother Russia car drives you?

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Goddamn, this thread really made me feel better. It looks like you had a beautiful trip in a unique car. Nice. Thanks for sharing, OP.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Call Your Grandma posted:

Is it true, in your experience op, that in Mother Russia car drives you?

yes that is my experience

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

do you want plat or another forums upgrade, OP?

i was going to buy franco a redtext last night for old time sake but ive managed to stick to my guns about not giving lowtax more money in my life

(no offense 'tax, but ive literally spend thousands here and i just dgaf anymore)

anyway, you posted good stuff and if you want a thing that can maybe help you post better id be happy to participate in these forums in that way again

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Statutory Ape posted:

do you want plat or another forums upgrade, OP?

i was going to buy franco a redtext last night for old time sake but ive managed to stick to my guns about not giving lowtax more money in my life

(no offense 'tax, but ive literally spend thousands here and i just dgaf anymore)

anyway, you posted good stuff and if you want a thing that can maybe help you post better id be happy to participate in these forums in that way again

Yeah sure you can do something funny to my account

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wish youd done a blog or pwm hadnt died or summat this is so very cool

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bioshuffle posted:

The Taliban won the war against the US in case you didn't hear.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bape Culture posted:

I wish you’d done a blog or pwm hadn’t died or summat this is so very cool

Yeah :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

how do i upgrade OP's account, ppl

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The Taliban won the war against the US in case you didn't hear.
Great maybe now it'll be safe and prosperous once again.

A few years ago I was in Uzbekistan at a distant relative's wedding and when I snuck out for a few days to see the country, a driver in Samarkand suggested that he could organize a hunting trip to Afghanistan if I wanted. I was out of time by that point but even if I wasn't I'm not sure I'd take him up on it even though I'm a pretty big idiot.

But yeah this is a really cool trip and I'm pretty jealous. Central Asia and Caucasus are very interesting areas with some great people (and some not so great people). My grandfather was born in a village in Karabakh so I've been thinking of maybe doing the Mongol rally and going through there. Seems like this is out of question for now but maybe it's just the right time to start preparing.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 16, 2020

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Great maybe now it'll be safe and prosperous once again.

A few years ago I was in Uzbekistan at a distant relative's wedding and when I snuck out for a few days to see the country, a driver in Samarkand suggested that he could organize a hunting trip to Afghanistan if I wanted. I was out of time by that point but even if I wasn't I'm not sure I'd take him up on it even though I'm a pretty big idiot.

this seems like it might be bullshit. Ive never heard of people crossing that border. The Uzbeks operate extremely tight borders. unless he was planning to go via khorog in Tajikistan where you can get visas at the Afghan embassy. Its a trek from Samarkand though

Edit: actually maybe you can do it from Termez. I take that back

RideTheSpiral fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 16, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Statutory Ape posted:

how do i upgrade OP's account, ppl

Fully monty, OP. Plat, archives and keep the perspective of lone guy in the vast like this within the pixel parameters as best as...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
What was your total budget in terms of travel/paperwork/and the car itself OP?

Also, how long was the journey?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

What was your total budget in terms of travel/paperwork/and the car itself OP?

Also, how long was the journey?

I have no idea how much it cost. The cargo ships were really expensive and Turkmenistan was a complete nightmare and cost a fortune. didnt do any paperwork before hand or any planning really. It took about 2 months which was way too short and stressful

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mr. Mambold posted:

Fully monty, OP. Plat, archives and keep the perspective of lone guy in the vast like this within the pixel parameters as best as...

i meant procedurally how do i give him plat, idk how to do that to somebody elses account

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

RideTheSpiral posted:

it was about $2k to buy initially and then probably about $10k total but I have no idea really because it took years

i feel like you paid to much for a tarted up niva, what did you do ffor all the years you spent out there?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RideTheSpiral posted:

this seems like it might be bullshit. Ive never heard of people crossing that border. The Uzbeks operate extremely tight borders. unless he was planning to go via khorog in Tajikistan where you can get visas at the Afghan embassy. Its a trek from Samarkand though

Edit: actually maybe you can do it from Termez. I take that back
It could be bullshit even if it was technically possible, and they would just murder and bury me in the desert :shrug:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Crankit posted:

i feel like you paid to much for a tarted up niva, what did you do ffor all the years you spent out there?

maybe. I had a mechanic working on it nearly full time for about 18 months. The tyres cost $1k. Body work, new engine with computer, electrics, suspension, lift. There was a lot of work to do.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

It could be bullshit even if it was technically possible, and they would just murder and bury me in the desert :shrug:

very probable

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

RideTheSpiral posted:

I find old Soviet stuff extremely cool

#metoo

RideTheSpiral posted:

maybe. I had a mechanic working on it nearly full time for about 18 months. The tyres cost $1k. Body work, new engine with computer, electrics, suspension, lift. There was a lot of work to do.

ok that makes a bit more sense, if you got the KITT talking engine computer mod. although I assumed Kazakhstan was one of those countries where everything is like $20.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Crankit posted:

#metoo

ok that makes a bit more sense, if you got the KITT talking engine computer mod. although I assumed Kazakhstan was one of those countries where everything is like $20.

Mainly Kazakhstan is full of people who are completely useless and are absolutely baffled by the idea of restoring an old car rather than buying a Toyota instead

This to this

Was a gruelling experience

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

I really wanted to buy this in a market to put in my house

Made in the USSR

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006