Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I realize the irony of posting such a question here on the SA forums but I am wondering if anyone has any helpful guides or links to Amazon books that can help me stop being an unorganized mess; or, to put it bluntly- a slob.

I dress nicely and brush my teeth twice a day and shave and comb my hair but when it comes to my surrounding areas I am a complete mess. My car is filled with wrappers and empty water bottles as far as the eye can see. My nightstand is just loaded with stupid poo poo I'm never going to use but will not get rid of (kindle, handheld game systems, poo poo like that). I never, ever make my bed and it drives my wife crazy. "I'm just going to go back in bed in like 12 hours so what's the point in making it" I say and I 100% feel like that's a pretty drat good excuse.

I never, ever remember to put things away when I am done. The power drill will never be in my garage or workshop. It will always be wherever the last place I used it was. This is more forgetfulness than laziness. Chances are after I am done fixing whatever I had to fix, something interrupts me and I just don't remember to put it back. Or I always feel like I am on such limited time (I work a crazy schedule) that I don't have time to do crap like put tools away and organize bolts and screws and poo poo. The same with not putting my clothes in the hamper. I just throw that poo poo on the floor because I am dead-rear end tired and have to go to sleep RIGHT THIS SECOND OR ELSE I WON'T GET A FULL NIGHT'S SLEEP so being neat and tidy and organized is super far down my list of what's important.

Usually what will happen is my part of the bedroom or the basement where I have all my games and stuff just gets so bad that every month or two I do a deep clean. Every time I spend 2 hours tidying up, I tell myself I will never let that happen again. I even put all my game controllers in nice neat orders, all plugged in and fully charged and THIS TIME IT'S GONNA BE DIFFERENT and then everything just goes back to poo poo within a few weeks.

I'm not bad enough that I am leaving plates of food around or attracting rodents nor does my house look like that goon's with the sunken floors in it (my wife would leave me if it was that bad) but I really do want to be a more neat and tidy person and it just seems so impossible for me for some reason. I am one of those people who can find ANYTHING at any given time (say, an obscure tool) but as soon as I clean and organize everything I can't find poo poo. I think that's a big reason I am like this, too. I'll remember that I left the USB floppy drive on the treadmill. I'll never find that fuckin thing again if I put it on some sort of special shelf.

It seems like the only solution for me is gonna be some sort of electro-shock therapy but before I do that does anyone have any tips or tricks or links to good books on rectifying this? Please note: throwing things in the garbage is not an option. Everything I "keep" has some sort of monetary value or value to me as something I use. I did throw out a ton of useless poo poo a few years ago and am left with stuff I do not want to part with (don't worry, none of it's old newspapers or stray cats or anything).

tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
you have a wife?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

go on the TV show Clean House starring Niecy Nash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GWP8F5rMs

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Yes. Since I am not physically dirty and do not smell and I pay the bills on time, she stays w/ me.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Hell Gem
Sounds like you are depressed have hoarding tendencies and are generally lazy

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Start with one thing. Throw your laundry in the hamper instead of the floor for a week or two. Just do it. Then do another thing.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
You're asking us? Really?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Throw away all your poo poo and move into the woods to live a life free of unnecessary material possessions, op

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Added bonus to doing that, suddenly ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE is your toilet

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Get a haircut and get a real job
Clean your act up and don't be a slob
Get it together like your big brother Bob
Why don't you get a haircut and get a real job

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

have you tried lsd?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

The Slob Gorges

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Watch Marie Kondo then throw out, donate and/or sell 90% of your things.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Set the house on fire alongside with all your belongings and flee into the rain, free from all material possessions.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a terminal case of Manchild Syndrome. We (us alpha Chad doctors) see this a lot with adults over the age of 21 who have more than one handheld game system, game controller, etc. There is no cure.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Chinatown posted:

you have a wife?

As a husband to a slovenly wife, I take offense.

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a terminal case of Manchild Syndrome. We (us alpha Chad doctors) see this a lot with adults over the age of 21 who have more than one handheld game system, game controller, etc. There is no cure.

Never listen to ChadRX

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Fix your depression.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You can't fix your depression so quit trying and work to become the slobbiest hoarder in the world. Eating poo poo encouraged

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pawn 17 posted:

Watch Marie Kondo then throw out, donate and/or sell 90% of your things.

Even better, throw away everything you own and replace it with the stuff(!) Marie Kondo now sells on her website. Yet one more brick in the wall that keeps us in the he’ll dimension.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

1) I do not suffer from depression or any clinical medical ailnesses
2) I am not a hoarder. Me keeping old video games around has nothing to do with me refusing to put socks in a hamper
3) my wife does not hate me

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
really OP I'm the same way and I accept that it's because I'm lazy. I just need to actually try. I don't know how my girlfriend ahsn't murdered me yet to be honest.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Make a list on a notepad or whatever of everything to tidy up and check it off each day before you're allowed on video games or whatever is taking up all your time

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If you’re serious, I strongly recommend the ATOMIC HABITS book by James clear

Basically just start small, but do it constantly, make it easy, check out what are your cues/cravings/responses and change small things at a time

https://s3.amazonaws.com/jamesclear/Atomic+Habits/Habits+Cheat+Sheet.pdf

Also books on minimalism are good, physical clutter is mental clutter

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

If you’re serious, I strongly recommend the ATOMIC HABITS book by James clear

Basically just start small, but do it constantly, make it easy, check out what are your cues/cravings/responses and change small things at a time

https://s3.amazonaws.com/jamesclear/Atomic+Habits/Habits+Cheat+Sheet.pdf

Also books on minimalism are good, physical clutter is mental clutter

Yes I am serious, and thank you! I just ordered the book!

flashman posted:

Make a list on a notepad or whatever of everything to tidy up and check it off each day before you're allowed on video games or whatever is taking up all your time

Work (15 hours a day) and sleep (8 hours a day) takes up most of my time

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

You have one really messy hour or what? How do you make mess that needs to be tidied?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

flashman posted:

You have one really messy hour or what? How do you make mess that needs to be tidied?

Most of the house is very neat because of my wife. The effected areas are "my" areas like the basement, my portion of the bedroom, the garage. It does not happen in one hour. It will be like "gently caress that I am not putting this flashlight back in its holder, I'm in a rush" but multiply that by 100 over the course of a month. Rinse and repeat over and over.

Same thing with packages from Amazon or ebay. I'll open the box and check the item out on the basement couch and just leave it there until I need it and after a month there will be 7 boxes there and packing peanuts up the rear end

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
I used to do the same kind of thing, like leaving clothes lying on floor, not putting tools away etc.

I just had to make it a habit. That's all. I can do the thing I really want to do only once the little task is accomplished.

Think about it this way - is the ten seconds you save by not putting the clothes in the hamper more important than going to bed knowing that it's done?

I dunno that's how it worked for me. I don't want a sink full of dishes, do it now, so I don't worry about it anymore.

Also when I used to smoke weed all I would do is think about what a slob I was while high so I promised myself I wouldn't smoke up till the house was clean and the way I wanted it.

That way I could relax and enjoy.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Yes. Since I am not physically dirty and do not smell and I pay the bills on time, she stays w/ me.

obviously she's far to stable so

Step 1. :sever:

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Just stop it.

milkingmycow fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 16, 2019

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Hell Gem
Can you post pictures of your living space to see how bad it is?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

Can you post pictures of your living space to see how bad it is?

I'd prefer not but just picture for example, a treadmill but on the treadmill are computer hard drives stacked up, tools, books I've been meaning to look at, external DVD drives, Blu-ray movies, computer parts, packing tape, poo poo like that.

I'm not leaving food out or anything gross like that but I just want to throw something somewhere and I don't feel like putting it where it belongs at that particular moment. Which isn't a big deal, except when it's been a month of it and it adds up and everythings a huge mess.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

packing peanuts up the rear end
See, you’re halfway to a cleaner house already!

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Hell Gem

I'd prefer not but just picture for example, a treadmill but on the treadmill are computer hard drives stacked up, tools, books I've been meaning to look at, external DVD drives, Blu-ray movies, computer parts, packing tape, poo poo like that.

I'm not leaving food out or anything gross like that but I just want to throw something somewhere and I don't feel like putting it where it belongs at that particular moment. Which isn't a big deal, except when it's been a month of it and it adds up and everythings a huge mess.
So the treadmill is not functional because you are using it as storage space. Is every surface occupied by stuff?

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Honestly if you're consistently working 15 hour days I think you've earned the right to be a little lazy around the house. Definitely start by at least putting your clothes in a hamper, that's an easy one, and go from there. Force yourself to do it until it's just a routine.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
does TLC still have a show about hoarders?

maybe OP should apply.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Open up notepad.exe. Divide your place up into hundreds of tiny sections and write each section into a text file. Like:

Treadmill
DVD rack shelf #1
DVD rack shelf #2
Medicine cabinet top shelf
Medicine cabinet bottom shelf
etc.

Print it out and pin it somewhere and commit to cleaning 1 section each day. This way you're not daunted by the huge task of cleaning everything, since you're just committing to cleaning up a tiny space at once. And chances are when you clean one section you'll then be in "cleaning mode" and will do a bunch more sections and the whole place will be clean pretty fast.

Or go on Adderall.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
This is denning behavior, OP. Sorry that it took you this long to find out you're a tree squirrel.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Take a huge bong rip and then start washing dishes, OP.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Schweinhund posted:

Open up notepad.exe. Divide your place up into hundreds of tiny sections and write each section into a text file. Like:

Treadmill
DVD rack shelf #1
DVD rack shelf #2
Medicine cabinet top shelf
Medicine cabinet bottom shelf
etc.

Print it out and pin it somewhere and commit to cleaning 1 section each day. This way you're not daunted by the huge task of cleaning everything, since you're just committing to cleaning up a tiny space at once. And chances are when you clean one section you'll then be in "cleaning mode" and will do a bunch more sections and the whole place will be clean pretty fast.

Or go on Adderall.

This isn't a bad idea because you are right; there's so much stuff to do that it becomes a thing where it's so overwhelming I can't do it at all.

Some stuff is tricky though. Like my work bench has a bunch of little projects I never finished on it. I really can't move that stuff anywhere, because it's delicate and putting it in boxes wouldn't really resolve anything anyway. So in my mind, I need to leave them there until I can finish the project. However, each project (and there's probably 5 or 6 of them) would take me about 3-4 hours each, and you can see why my work bench will never be clean unless my wife takes the kids and leaves me alone for 3 months straight or something. I also have to be in the mood to do one of the projects. Nothing like handling a soldering iron and tiny microscopic via points when you aren't in the mood to do it.

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

So the treadmill is not functional because you are using it as storage space. Is every surface occupied by stuff?

That's a good point I never really thought of but yeah, pretty much every surface has stuff on it (my wife is the opposite, she absolutely hates when anything is on the kitchen counters). But yeah good catch, pretty much all of "my surfaces" are occupied with stuff.

1redflag posted:

Take a huge bong rip and then start washing dishes, OP.

Things like the dishes I'll actually do because that's filth and I don't like looking at it or smelling it, plus it absolutely NEEDS to be done or no one can eat. So believe it or not I am pretty good with doing the dishes if the wife couldn't get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Get a really fastidious boyfriend/girlfriend. They'll give you're apartment a deep clean before they break up with you.