Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Hell Gem
I take back what I said about you being generally lazy. You just have no time to do anything with the hours you work. This is probably just maladaptive behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I feel you man, I'm also a lazy slob like that. List time!

Trash:

1) Get a lot of trashcans and the like. They don't all need to be ugly black plastic or the same size.
2) Put one in each room and balcony. Store a roll of bags underneath the bag you're using.
3) Start putting trash in the trashcans immediately. Do not let it off your hand anywhere else.
4) Count the days until the first can is full. This minus one is your trash cycle. From now on until the day you die, you replace all the bags and throw out the trash according to the cycle. If you don't, poo poo will start piling up on surfaces and floor again.

Laundry:

1) Get an IKEA bag.
2) Put it in your bedroom corner. When you undress, throw all your clothes in there.
3) When you wake up, bring the bag with you to bathroom and unload stuff to hamper. Take the bag back after your shower or whenever you go get fresh underwear from your bedroom drawer.

Other assorted stuff:

1) Pick one (1) location in the house that is the random assorted stuff surface (RASS).
2) Whenever you need to set something down, always set it down on the RASS.
3) If you need to open letters, packages, unbox stuff etc. do it on RASS.
4) Set an extra large trashcan near RASS so you can throw garbage out immediately.
5) Once RASS is half full, clean it up immediately. This means returning tools, throwing out old magazines, putting away your Kindle or board games and so on. Do not start the next task on RASS before you have cleaned it up.
6) Try to life with the fact that there's always going to be stuff on that surface. Maybe don't pick the most central location in your home like I did, because it's the most conveniently located.

Food:

1) Eat at dinner table.
2) No, really. Only eat at dinner table. That's what it is for. That way you won't have the entire home full of pizza boxes and plates and poo poo.
3) Clean the table after you've eaten. Tip: it's a good time to talk with your family!

Computer:

1) Do not put stuff on your computer table. Forbid anyone else from putting anything down on the table either because it will be there forever.
2) Clean out the stuff that ends up on the table every now and then because if there is one place that really attracts piles of crap it's your computer table.
3) Buy small boxes and put whatever USB sticks and crap you really can't do without in those. Once you haven't touched the box for a month put it inside a closet. Once you haven't touched it for a year throw it away. Do not open the box to see if there's anything you might need. This is also a good idea whenever you're moving.

Good luck!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im bad with laundry

like in the sense that ive got two piles

clean and dirty

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Throw away all video games

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Also, highly recommend getting proper storage systems for things. When I was a kid my parents had a house full of lovely, crooked furniture that was either too small or too large for the space and materials suited. So papers put on shelves made for paperback books (papers hang out and constantly fall off). lovely tables overflowing with junk mail. Crappy thriftstore shelves on rickety endtables. Nothing fit where it was and for some reason there was money to buy 3 lovely shelves and stand them on top of each other, but not money or space for a fullsize unit that would have held twice as much while still looking tidy.

In my home all my furniture is solid and is the correct thing for the job. Dressers hold clothes, shelves hold toys (in baskets). I even have a purpose-built bookshelf in my bedroom that holds nothing but books! I store my tools in a locking full-width tool cabinet, which has enough space that they basically all fit without piling them. If I start filling it, I'll buy more units. My closets have adequate space to hang the clothes than need to be hung. I got rid of the shirts and slacks I don't wear. My kitchen is messy but it still has room to cook, and my kitchen table is empty unless we're using it do eat or draw or do a project or something. My home is messier than I'd like, but things have a place and I can clean in 10 minutes if someone is coming over.

Just based on your description, I recommend you obtain and distribute throughout your house better tools for living. Put a trashcan in every room you generate trash in. Consider dumping any furniture that is just holding stuff at random that got suck on it. Things should belong somewhere, not just usually be found underneath an old teddy bear and next to a can of pencils. If you own things that don't seem to belong, I'd recommend either finding them a place or ditching them. Like, if you're not using your treadmill (you obviously aren't), I recommend getting rid of it.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
uh, excuse me, i heard on npr some guy wrote a book about how people who desire and create extremely messy/cleanly environments are actually suffering from the same sort of "ocd" and it's a spectrum and with that in mind to explain the difference between germaphobes and hoarders you totally normally people are advocating for a socially acceptable form of addiction (i'm here to help)

edit: my entire life i've woken up to poo poo being rearranged/stolen/placed/put away/hidden by other people for one reason or another and stopped having any faith in my ability to rearrange the physical world around me or create sentimental value for objects and this is my excuse for not only being a huge slob but getting pissed when anyone rearranges anything in the huge piles of garbage i leave in my wake

The Cockler fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 16, 2019

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

owning jordan peterson by having a trashed room :smug:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Pawn 17 posted:

Watch Marie Kondo then throw out, donate and/or sell 90% of your things.
This but actually read her books (there are two). Start with this one:

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607747308/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nta-DbNN4391J

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Move back w your mom.

No seriously I’m sure your wife gets stressed over this, maybe put that in the back of your head. I do it, like when the dishwasher light is green and needs emptied I’m like gently caress that, then I think how much my wife does (more than Burt) and I empty it immediately.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If you don't need it every day, if it gives you no joy, if it gives you a feeling of unfulfillment, if it takes up too much space, if it's old and worn out, if it's a toy, if it's preventing you from maximizing floor space and having the things you really need, desire and are passionate about in a neat and organized fashion- get rid of it.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Work (15 hours a day)

I think I found the root cause

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Figure out what makes it “clean enough” and set your standards and work with your wife to find a way to make it tolerable. Unless it is dangerous or disgusting you are probably okay and you do go on cleaning binges so it presumably does not get too bad. Stop promising yourself it will never happen again.

I see myself in your post. I do not do disgusting but some clutter builds up and then one day I suddenly have a cleaning urge and the house is completely nice again. I suspect it is tied to to my ADHD.

Also, work less.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Some stuff is tricky though. Like my work bench has a bunch of little projects I never finished on it. I really can't move that stuff anywhere, because it's delicate and putting it in boxes wouldn't really resolve anything anyway.

People have kinda mentioned this but if you can put up more shelves somewhere, that can help a lot. Like you can put each project on a different board and move the whole thing back to a shelf when you're not working on it.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
when im getting too messy i start to operate on standards of reducing mess every time i move between areas. so when i get up from the computer i take stuff to the kitchen. when im in the kitchen getting fat ill clean slightly more than what i get dirty aka stack it in the dishwasher and run it if its full. do the laundry cycle thats sitting there. keep doing them. take the laundry out and sort it to your standards. keep doing dish cycles. take the dishes out when they dry not after things build up so you have a place to put dirty stuff.

bathroom, floors and vacuuming just do it once a week it takes a short time when its not all built up from neglect. thats the key to cleaning, do it regularly so it's not much effort every time you do it

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There’s no trick to discipline you just decide to do it and do it. It the simplest thing in the world but probably the least understood.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
OP, I'm not gonna be much help because I've lived with my share of slobs and never been able to teach / train any of them into better habits. As far as I can tell a lot of people who are slobs aren't bad lazy people, but they are people who thrive on accomplishment. Maintaining a clean space isn't about accomplishment, it's about putting away every drat thing as soon as you're done with it. That's trivial. But only after you master that basic technique can you move on to the advanced form of "I'm tired today, I'll take care of that poo poo tomorrow" and have it actually work.

However, my #1 piece of advice: make sure your wife knows you appreciate her. Hopefully you already do, but like extra. Living with a slob isn't just a burden of cleaning up someone else's crap, it's also a mental burden of directing them and telling them enough is enough. Your treadmill covered with harddrive stacks isn't just an annoyance to her, it's also a thing where she's frequently asking herself if now is the right time to tell you to clean it up. That's a mental balancing act that gets exhausting over time.

Schweinhund posted:

People have kinda mentioned this but if you can put up more shelves somewhere, that can help a lot. Like you can put each project on a different board and move the whole thing back to a shelf when you're not working on it.

Unless he's the sort of personality that looks at the now clean workbench and gets inspired to start a new project, which I think is very likely in this case.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Cleanliness is next to Godliness OP. Why have you strayed so far from God's light?

Pray the sin away and make your bed.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down

soy posted:

There’s no trick to discipline you just decide to do it and do it. It the simplest thing in the world but probably the least understood.

discipline is a strong word it's just a routine

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Chinatown posted:

"..." wife?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My couch is in a shape. It has to be the most uncomfortable to sit down in, though.

I am happy I have a working vacuum and some tissues.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Slob on my knob

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
That's exactly what he's trying to stop. You're not helping.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
when i start getting like that i set a recusing timer for every 30 mins and just get up and walk around for a sec. eventually i start doing little things here and there while im up. been my go to for dezombiefying myself.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

lean into it and become a hoarder

get on the tv and become a star

also

like corn on the cob

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I'd prefer not but just picture for example, a treadmill but on the treadmill are computer hard drives stacked up, tools, books I've been meaning to look at, external DVD drives, Blu-ray movies, computer parts, packing tape, poo poo like that.

I'm not leaving food out or anything gross like that but I just want to throw something somewhere and I don't feel like putting it where it belongs at that particular moment. Which isn't a big deal, except when it's been a month of it and it adds up and everythings a huge mess.

The whole purpose of a treadmill is to use it three or four times and then turn it into a spot for hanging clothes or piling up a bunch of bullshit.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
while we're discussing ways to reduce clutter would anyone like to turn on the weather channel and expectantly repeat the information presented on the screen or woefully bemoan the exact time and how late it is

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I walked on a treadmill for 30 minutes. Walking but going nowhere. I sat down. I walked on a treadmill for 2 more hours. The machine said I walked 10 miles but I was still in my mom's basement. I sat down for a minute. I got up went upstairs and had a PB&J and water. I walked on the treadmill for 5 hours until my mom came home from work. Some guys bust in the door behind her wearing ski masks to do a home invasion and I was too tired to fight or run. Thanks treadmill.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

For every ten minutes you would have otherwise spent here on the forums, spend only five minutes on the forums and five minutes tidying your house or car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are you me, op? What I found as the biggest problem to keeping everything tidy is ifnone little obstacle gets in the way. Dishwasher is full? gently caress it, I'm not unloading it now, so the plates will wait in the sink. Cardboard box too large to for in the trash? I'm not taking it out now, obviously, so it's gonna sit in the hallway for two weeks. Project I've been working on stalled for whatever reason? Shits gonna sit on my desk for a year because there's literally no better place for it.

So I've been making a conscious effort to address this first, to variyimg degree of success. Getting some shoeboxes to store random crap helped (it looks rider, the mess is just now I'm the boxes), as did immediately unloading the dishwasher. Also consider hiring a maid.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Piss your wife off to where she won't talk to you for days weeks, unless it's absolutely business. You won't know what to do with yourself so you end up cleaning and organizing, hanging out with your kids more if you have any, and it feels like you're getting back at her so that's points too.

Actually I don't know my household is super healthy right now. It's getting clean though!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I used to be awful about chores, to the point where my gf was so fed up, one time I cleaned the bathroom and kitchen and she accused me of just doing it so she couldn’t ask me to help out for a couple of days. To be honest that might’ve been kind of true.

I’m way better now and feel lovely for subjecting her to that stress. I basically just did what other people here have suggested. Make it routine. If it’s particularly messy, clean up a few items every time you move from room to room. If you can’t figure out where something needs to go buy more storage or throw it out.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Put stuff away, don't put it down.

There, that's it. You're welcome.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

I take back what I said about you being generally lazy. You just have no time to do anything with the hours you work. This is probably just maladaptive behavior

I am like this on weekends too though (when I am off from work).

Son of Rodney posted:

Put stuff away, don't put it down.

There, that's it. You're welcome.

Not everything has a spot. Stuff I need to return to the store/online, a book I am going to start reading soon, broken toy I've been meaning to fix, something I leave out because I want to give it to a friend the next time I visit them but don't want to forget, etc.

Hob_Gadling posted:

I feel you man, I'm also a lazy slob like that. List time!

Trash:

1) Get a lot of trashcans and the like. They don't all need to be ugly black plastic or the same size.
2) Put one in each room and balcony. Store a roll of bags underneath the bag you're using.
3) Start putting trash in the trashcans immediately. Do not let it off your hand anywhere else.
4) Count the days until the first can is full. This minus one is your trash cycle. From now on until the day you die, you replace all the bags and throw out the trash according to the cycle. If you don't, poo poo will start piling up on surfaces and floor again.

Laundry:

1) Get an IKEA bag.
2) Put it in your bedroom corner. When you undress, throw all your clothes in there.
3) When you wake up, bring the bag with you to bathroom and unload stuff to hamper. Take the bag back after your shower or whenever you go get fresh underwear from your bedroom drawer.

Other assorted stuff:

1) Pick one (1) location in the house that is the random assorted stuff surface (RASS).
2) Whenever you need to set something down, always set it down on the RASS.
3) If you need to open letters, packages, unbox stuff etc. do it on RASS.
4) Set an extra large trashcan near RASS so you can throw garbage out immediately.
5) Once RASS is half full, clean it up immediately. This means returning tools, throwing out old magazines, putting away your Kindle or board games and so on. Do not start the next task on RASS before you have cleaned it up.
6) Try to life with the fact that there's always going to be stuff on that surface. Maybe don't pick the most central location in your home like I did, because it's the most conveniently located.

Food:

1) Eat at dinner table.
2) No, really. Only eat at dinner table. That's what it is for. That way you won't have the entire home full of pizza boxes and plates and poo poo.
3) Clean the table after you've eaten. Tip: it's a good time to talk with your family!

Computer:

1) Do not put stuff on your computer table. Forbid anyone else from putting anything down on the table either because it will be there forever.
2) Clean out the stuff that ends up on the table every now and then because if there is one place that really attracts piles of crap it's your computer table.
3) Buy small boxes and put whatever USB sticks and crap you really can't do without in those. Once you haven't touched the box for a month put it inside a closet. Once you haven't touched it for a year throw it away. Do not open the box to see if there's anything you might need. This is also a good idea whenever you're moving.

Good luck!

This is really good advice. The only thing I am not going to follow is the "once you haven't touched it for a year throw it away" thing because I have a lot of stuff that I've dug up from 5+ years ago that completely saved my rear end. Like, I haven't used my USB floppy drive in probably 5 years but lo-and-behold just the other day I actually needed it for something. Following your advice means I would have had to not only spend ~$40 on a new one but also wait for a few days for it to come in the mail, when it was pretty urgent when I needed it. This is what makes me a bit of a packrat.

Another case-in-point: I don't watch DVDs any more (I ripped them all to my computer server and just use Plex on all my TVs) so I had like 300 DVDs taking up a ton of space in my home. I gave them all to a friend of mine who doesn't have wi-fi internet (he's cheap) because I knew he would appreciate it. Then literally a week later (after hoarding these DVDs for 15 years) I am watching Home Alone and there is a scene that it's killing me to know how they filmed it (the scene where the car is an inch away from hitting Kevin's face). So for the first time in my life I wanna watch a movie with audio commentary and guess what? None of the movie rips include it. So now I sort of regret giving the DVDs to my friend. I'll just end up asking him to loan it back to me for a bit (or maybe all of them, and then I'll rip the audio commentaries and give them back to him) but you can see why I am constantly apprehensive about getting rid of stuff. It almost always bites me in the rear end, and often times it does it like IMMEDIATELY after I get rid of it. I can think of literally dozens of times in my life where this has happened.

Klyith posted:

However, my #1 piece of advice: make sure your wife knows you appreciate her. Hopefully you already do, but like extra. Living with a slob isn't just a burden of cleaning up someone else's crap, it's also a mental burden of directing them and telling them enough is enough. Your treadmill covered with harddrive stacks isn't just an annoyance to her, it's also a thing where she's frequently asking herself if now is the right time to tell you to clean it up. That's a mental balancing act that gets exhausting over time.

I do appreciate her very much and am very good to her. It's funny because we are friends with a couple, and the guy is a total neat freak, and his wife said it drives her insane. She actually said she would prefer he be a messy slob because she can't stand how he has to vacuum an entire living room just because she opened a package in there and instead of enjoying a movie he's busy cleaning all the glass windows in the house.

It is not a strain on our marriage at all. She absolutely would tell me if it was. But that's not the point, I want to be more neat just because it's so much nicer to look at plus it makes the rest of my life feel more organized.

Schweinhund posted:

This helped A LOT in the basement. I put up four of those wireframe shelves and I was able to get all my poo poo up from off the floor. I also bought some for my garage. However, they are all full and I have no where else to put more shelves.

The things that are becoming serious issues with storage: the Christmas tree, Halloween/fall decorations, and all the kids big rear end toys. Big wheels, bicycles, blow-up bouncy house, tricycles, stuff like that. I seriously can't even walk in my garage any more because of all that poo poo but what am I gonna do? Not let my kids ride bikes and not put up decorations ever?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Getting some good advice op. Here’s one stop loving up my tables with wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww threads

Lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Yes, please do clean up your loving name OP. Try to clean up half the Ws so it breaks tables half as much.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Treat it like you're going cliff diving. When you jump off a cliff, there's a moment where you need to stop thinking about the cliff, how high it is, how you're going to jump off it, whether you should do it or not, etc. etc. and just JUMP. Some people will never get to that phase because allowing yourself to do such a dangerous thing is antithetical to your body and brain.

Now cleaning isn't dangerous but still that's how it is for me, generally the more I think about it the less I'll end up doing, whereas if I simply START DOING IT without giving myself time for thought or excuses it generally works out and I finish what I need to.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Work (15 hours a day)

spend less on candles

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Destroy your house and live in a barrel

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i think ive got time for a quick wank before i stop procrastinating once and for all
just gotta research these porn sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey OP, you should probably start small and work your way up if you want to make a change. I found this neat little blog post a few years back and it really helped me.

Looking at the overall mess can be overwhelming. Try looking at sections of the mess and make an effort to clean up that part in a day, and try to keep it tidy. When it gets overly messy again, clean it again.