Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Are you seriously asking how someone with kids would find a bounce house useful? In the spring and summer you plug it into an outlet, blow it up in the backyard, and the kids jump around in it for three hours a day.

Are you seriously asking how to stop being a slob?

It's easy, either:

A: Get therapy for your borderline hoarder like tendencies, because frankly it's apparent to a lot of us that you have some kind of issue going on.

-OR-

B: Be an adult, stop making excuses, and clean up your poo poo and then make an effort to put poo poo away when you're done using it. So far, the only real reason you've given is "you don't feel like doing it". You're not making the slightest bit of effort towards improving your situation, instead, you'd rather rationalize away why things should stay exactly the way they are. You have too much poo poo and not enough space. Either get more space and organize your poo poo, or get rid of some poo poo. This ain't rocket science.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

Hey OP, you should probably start small and work your way up if you want to make a change. I found this neat little blog post a few years back and it really helped me.

Looking at the overall mess can be overwhelming. Try looking at sections of the mess and make an effort to clean up that part in a day, and try to keep it tidy. When it gets overly messy again, clean it again.

I think when it comes to doing just about anything in life starting small is good advice. Start really small. Make your bed in the morning. Then start doing some other cleaning/organization that doesn't take long. Then build from there.

The key is to keep it manageable. If you go at it with the mentality that you need to clean up everything all at once you're just going to be miserable and not succeed.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Are you seriously asking how someone with kids would find a bounce house useful? In the spring and summer you plug it into an outlet, blow it up in the backyard, and the kids jump around in it for three hours a day.
That's not actually a use, though. A broom is useful. A car is useful. A reference book you can't get online or through the library is useful. A fun thing is not useful. And it's not necessary. Right now your attitude seems to be that if there's even one reason to keep something, you keep it. That means you will never get rid of anything, because you will ALWAYS think of a reason to keep something. Reverse it: if there is a reason to get rid of something, get rid of it. A month ago I put my favorite sweater in the Goodwill donation bag because I realized its colors were not particularly flattering to me. This was a nice wool sweater that looks pretty good on me- but not good enough. And I already don't have a lot of clothes! But I also don't have a lot of space, and I'm not going to waste my time with something I don't 100% like.

Also consider the possibility that your wife doesn't complain about the mess because you get defensive and angry about it, so after a while she's learned that mentioning it gets her nowhere and is exhausting. You're resistant to changing this the same way that I used to be resistant to talking about things that sparked my anxiety. So there's probably some stuff going on there for you and it's going to be an issue until you deal with it.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Just as an aside, wouldn't this thread get a better reception and be more appropriate in E/N?

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747

trickybiscuits posted:

That's not actually a use, though. A broom is useful. A car is useful. A reference book you can't get online or through the library is useful. A fun thing is not useful. And it's not necessary. Right now your attitude seems to be that if there's even one reason to keep something, you keep it. That means you will never get rid of anything, because you will ALWAYS think of a reason to keep something. Reverse it: if there is a reason to get rid of something, get rid of it. A month ago I put my favorite sweater in the Goodwill donation bag because I realized its colors were not particularly flattering to me. This was a nice wool sweater that looks pretty good on me- but not good enough. And I already don't have a lot of clothes! But I also don't have a lot of space, and I'm not going to waste my time with something I don't 100% like.

Also consider the possibility that your wife doesn't complain about the mess because you get defensive and angry about it, so after a while she's learned that mentioning it gets her nowhere and is exhausting. You're resistant to changing this the same way that I used to be resistant to talking about things that sparked my anxiety. So there's probably some stuff going on there for you and it's going to be an issue until you deal with it.

Quality philosophy

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

trickybiscuits posted:

A fun thing is not useful. And it's not necessary. - :spergin:

There's nothing wrong with having things in life that are just for enjoyment. You don't have to live your life just to maintain your house and car so you can work 60 hours a week and never get any enjoyment out of life. Never mind having your kids hate you because you threw out their toys because they're "not useful".

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Schweinhund posted:

There's nothing wrong with having things in life that are just for enjoyment. You don't have to live your life just to maintain your house and car so you can work 60 hours a week and never get any enjoyment out of life. Never mind having your kids hate you because you threw out their toys because they're "not useful".

The OP posted:

The things that are becoming serious issues with storage: the Christmas tree, Halloween/fall decorations, and all the kids big rear end toys. Big wheels, bicycles, blow-up bouncy house, tricycles, stuff like that. I seriously can't even walk in my garage any more because of all that poo poo but what am I gonna do? Not let my kids ride bikes and not put up decorations ever?
Hold on, I have to photoshop the "spend less on candles" meme to say "have less decorations."

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
OP probably won't respond since he's been crushed by a tower of 200w power supplies, bouncy houses, and broken alarm clocks while trying to dig out the flash drive that has the director's commentary of Spy Kids on it.

trickybiscuits posted:

Guarantee he does the same thing to his wife that he's doing in this thread and she's just given up because she's sick of arguing about it.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I already started throwing out a ton of stuff. Mainly boxes for things that I own. I usually keep the boxes for expensive things like cameras, ipads, phones etc because you get a little more on ebay if you include it if you ever decide to sell it, but I just flung all that poo poo out because it was taking up a lot of room.

I bought the book recommended in this thread and have been reading a few pages every night before bed. It's very insightful and I can see its guidance being a big help. A lot of it really is just being mindful that you aren't returning stuff to their intended locations due to forgetfulness more than it is laziness. For example, if you kept a rubber band around your wrist you'd be more likely to put poo poo back where it belongs because it's a simple matter of remembering to not be a slob.

I have a bunch of VHS tapes of old family videos that's taking up a lot of room so I am going to transfer them to digital files and then throw all the tapes and the VCR in the garbage because it' will then just be taking up space. Stuff like that takes a lot of manhours, though, which is why I always put it off in my brain.

I am definitely making some good changes and already am catching myself returning stuff to where they belong, just because I am more conscious of doing it; either because I made this thread, because I decided I want to change, or because I am reading a book about it every day.

I am not prepared to throw out stuff my kids love like the bouncy house or their big wheels no matter how much room they take up. That stuff is going to get tossed (or donated) eventually anyway when they are too old for it so there is an "end in sight" with that stuff at least.

My wife doesn't complain about the mess unless I start to bring it into the living space, which usually shows itself in the form of stuff I'm in the middle of fixing being on the kitchen table or a stack of poo poo I am selling on ebay being in the dining room. She just politely askes me to put it in the basement when it's been there for a few days. I don't argue with her because I don't even notice I'm making GBS threads up the place, so I am in complete agreement with her when she brings it to my attention. Trust me, if she's pissed at me about something, she lets me know.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
I am a bit slobby too but I have very limited space to be fair. I am investing in making some projects about me sorting things out. Like electronic reminders. I want to look at less screens; so I want a task list that I can edit on an E-ink screen on the wall. Something that automatically loops weekly and monthly chores, that I can use buttons to tick off electronically. Phone apps suck for this. Want a console that lives in a place that I go past and says what's what. A chore station. There might be alexa/GHA/Cortana taskmaster thing but don't know how I would react to that, might ignore.

There is a thing called a kan-ban where you have a piece of paper or whiteboard on the wall and you divide it into 3 columns. First column is stuff to do. The center column is currently doing and the last column is stuff done. You put post-it notes with your chores on it. Move them along the columns. Moving stuff to the last column is a satisfaction thing. The central column has a limit of 3 things maximum. Stops overwhelming you with choice paralasys.

Get rid of game consoles. Computer with steam account. No more boxes of games. Kindle for books. generally have less all round glaring screen time, especially with 15 hour days you will be less tired.

Your tools that live in those opaque plastic boxes, but address label on the sides of the boxes so that they remain in mind. Address label the poo poo out of drawers that have tools so that you know what's in them at a glance; and are inspired to use the poo poo that is in them. Really lots of labels and say lots of different types of things that are in them. Buy or 3d print holders.
Vacuum pack bags for clothing. Don't mess with vacuum cleaner sealing ones as the the roll up ones are fine and there is less effort than getting out the vacuum cleaner.

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 7, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Speculating if op is still a slob

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Cockler posted:

uh, excuse me, i heard on npr some guy wrote a book about how people who desire and create extremely messy/cleanly environments are actually suffering from the same sort of "ocd" and it's a spectrum and with that in mind to explain the difference between germaphobes and hoarders you totally normally people are advocating for a socially acceptable form of addiction (i'm here to help)

edit: my entire life i've woken up to poo poo being rearranged/stolen/placed/put away/hidden by other people for one reason or another and stopped having any faith in my ability to rearrange the physical world around me or create sentimental value for objects and this is my excuse for not only being a huge slob but getting pissed when anyone rearranges anything in the huge piles of garbage i leave in my wake

It's true, I have one of those houses that looks like no one lives in it, like, you could step in at any time of day, and day of the week and there is not one thing out of place and there will be fresh flowers in the kitchen and living room, we had a friend of mine house sit last year and he said he spent the entire week terrified to touch anything.

My secret is just constant obsession with having things be organized, like I get physical anxious if the towels aren't folded perfectly, I literally run the dishwasher every day even if there are like 3 dishes in it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
My father always said a slob is someone constantly wolfing down ice cream, does this sound like you OP?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I spent most of my childhood moving, like at least once a year, and several of those times it was a case of "if you haven't packed everything already we're leaving what you haven't behind". At one time we packed clothes and the most basics because we were "going on a trip" that turned out to actually be moving but literally everything that didn't fit in your suitcase was left behind. My wee little 10 year old brain didn't understand at the time lol

Anyway, that obviously shaped my feelings towards "things" and I am a pretty astute minimalist. I try to own as little stuff as I can. I recently moved with my housemate and basically everything I owned was done in one car trip, the rest of the move was her stuff.

I'm not actually saying this is healthy or good either lol. It creeps people out that my room is basically bare and there's no personal items. All personal items I have are nearly sorted and organised and out of the way.

But my place is very clean and tidy!

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FelchTragedy posted:

I am a bit slobby too but I have very limited space to be fair

You have a diagnosable hoarding disorder and your wife resents you for it, get to a therapist and sever ASAP

Konar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 25, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
When the solution is literally "just pick up after yourself" but instead of doing that you write a bunch of paragraphs on the something awful forums seeking an answer to this great mystery because you're a special kind of lazy

Go to therapy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

OP hasn’t posted in almost a year so I’m assuming he’s dead op

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

why you do this

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Ginette Reno posted:

I think when it comes to doing just about anything in life starting small is good advice. Start really small. Make your bed in the morning. Then start doing some other cleaning/organization that doesn't take long. Then build from there.

The key is to keep it manageable. If you go at it with the mentality that you need to clean up everything all at once you're just going to be miserable and not succeed.

Going to second this, I pulled myself out of slobbyness by setting the goal of always having the bathroom countertop clean

And slowly expanding this to the bathroom as a whole, then the laundry etc

Start small and expand

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I advocate drug use, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

frh posted:

Work (15 hours a day) and sleep (8 hours a day) takes up most of my time

This is the issue

Those kind of hours are absolutely hideous, burn anyone out, is not sustainable and will gently caress up your mental health even if you are not technically depressed

You say it's not the issue but it is. When work dominates so much of your time it's very hard to put effort into other things, especially things that are easily disregarded as not a big deal based on how you've described everything