Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Fellow slob here. I'm always rushing to do something else and getting distracted and leaving things all over the place. I'm slowly working my way through it by way of building new habits and maximizing my downtime.

Gotta stand around for a while and wait for something to dry or whatever? Use that time to gather up dishes, used clothes, garbage etc and just pick up/clean whatever you find around you. You don't have to do the full chore, but when the time comes to do actual cleaning, you've got a head start. Lots of little things over time take a big chunk out of the time spent deep cleaning.

I like to vacuum/do dishes/fold laundry if I'm watching a show/tubes. I actually find it kinda relaxing. You might not.

I don't let myself start a new project in the workshop until I've cleaned up all my tools and sweeped up the sawdust. Having OCD helps, seeing my workspace all clean and organized feels immensely satisfying once I actually will myself to do it.

Try to get in the habit of bringing something that belongs there whenever you're going to a different room. I misplace my stuff all the time because I'll use it and then just put it down and forget about it. Then I'll see it when I don't need it and go "Oh yeah, there's where that went" and usually do nothing about it until I need it again whereupon I'll waste another half hour scouring the house trying to remember where I saw it. See something? Pick it up, bring it with you. A B C D Always Be Carrying Detritus.

You don't have to take the garbage all the way down to the cans right away but at least take the bag out, tie it up and put it by the door so it's impossible to miss when you're going out.

Blast some tunes. Have fun with it. Sing along at the top of your lungs. Pretend you're a rockstar cleaning his enormous mansion. Who cares if the neighbors see/hear you, this is still America, isn't it? Trust me, it's fun.

You don't have to do what I do, just find what works for you and, if necessary, find ways to convince yourself to stay diligent. I like to make things into "challenges" for myself, the illusion of failure is a surprisingly good motivator. It takes a while but habits like these do get easier and easier over time and, as I get better at keeping them, the satisfaction and pride of a clean house helps me take the extra effort of just putting things back right away instead of leaving it lying around.

It sounds like you're working quite a bit too. Don't forget that it's okay to rest when you're exhausted, even if you haven't done all the things yet. Burning out is only going to make things worse.

e: For hoarding stuff, if you're hanging onto something for parts specifically (which I often do), then just rip out the parts you need and throw everything else in the garbage. Get a sorting system for your parts and your projects. Get some assortment boxes and a bunch of stackable plastic containers. If you've been washing and keeping plastic ice cream containers, now is their time to shine. Maybe you have a closet full of empty boxes from stuff you've bought. Put everything you're totally going to use later in clearly marked containers, put up a bigass shelf or two and just stack everything up there so it's out of the way but easy to get to once you actually need it. Get some velcro strips for all your cables and wires. DON'T fall into the trap of getting more crap you don't need with the intention of creating the world's smartest organizing system. Use whatever you have first and foremost and keep. it. simple.

VVVVVVV I'm not buying that either but I've been asked for this type of advice many times and I find that above all, the biggest hurdle is to be honest with yourself. If they are, then I guess I can't help you, sorry. If they're not, then no amount of advice will ever get them off the ground, and I know this because it was something I had to work on for myself before things got better. You have to want to improve yourself, because there's never going to be a solution that just fixes everything while maintaining the status quo. Everyone has different personal circumstances and everyone's got too few hours in the day, but we make it work. It's called hustling.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU