Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have been looking at an EGO power station. Mostly because I already have 3 of their 7.5 AH batteries.

https://egopowerplus.com/nexus-portable-power-station/

My main use would be as a backup power source for my sump umps in my house. I haven’t bought it yet because it is kinda expensive, and it doesn’t look like there is a way to rig up some sort of automatic mode.

As far as the batteries themselves, the EGO batteries seem pretty good. Being able to run my lawnmower for over an hour on a single charge has been really nice. Only complaint with the mower is that if the grass is wet (even with dew) it really starts to clump when the mower is mulching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

This thread is great! We live in an area with somewhat frequent grid outages and rather than buy a generator, I'd love to have a bank of batteries in the house that would be able to power things for a day until the power comes back on. Other than a powerwall (which can do this, but doesn't seem like it's the main point of it) I can't see off the shelf options for what amounts to "a generator, but batteries instead".

I don’t think the prices on batteries have dropped enough yet for there to be a standardized design for what you want. Generally, your main power source (Grid, Solar, or Wind) is just too reliable. Also, small generators and the fuel to run them is just too cheap.

Depending on your power usage, you might be able to see what off the grid solar in your area uses for batteries, and just hook that up to your grid source instead. But I am guessing that will either be insufficient for your needs, or too cost prohibitive.

That EGO thing I linked earlier only has about 1600 Wh of power if you have 4 7.5 Ah batteries hooked up to it. It only comes with 2 of those batteries, and is like $1200 MSRP. Extra batteries are $350 by themselves. So $2k just to run your fridge for a day or two.

Those Goal Zero units look to be slightly more cost effective per Wh, but not much. I think something scaled up for running a house for a day would probably have any size cost savings eaten up by the much lower volume of sales.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

I mean, it's not like I drive my house, couldn't I get (realatively) cheap sealed deep cycle lead acid batteries and use those? I guess the question is are lead acids actually any cheaper.

I know it’s possible to use deep cycle lead acid batteries to create a power bank. It’s what phone companies use for their 50V phone system, and what electric utilities use for emergency DC power at substations. I just don’t think there is much of an off the shelf setup. It would totally be a DIY thing.

A quick look shows a 12V, 90Ah battery is about $200. On paper, that is about $200 per kWh. Or about 1/5 of the EGO setup. But I have no clue how the actual usage of a deep cycle stacks up to a lithium ion battery.