Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

net work error posted:

Lately I've been looking at buying a Goal Zero Yeti lithium since it's an all in one sort of thing and I liked the portability of it but it's kinda pricey.

If someone has good guides to start with I'd appreciate it.
Right now I was looking at buying a decent lifepo4 battery off ebay but was hung up on the management of it. I know with a lead acid I don't need much but with lithium I'm not sure how necessary a BMS or charge management for balancing the batteries and how to power it off a wall.
Do you need or want portability?

I got yeti 3000 last spring and it saw daily use for ~6 months. It works great for my purposes, but I still found from time to time that 280ah doesn't go far when it rains for a week. If the yetis had some way to send or receive charge from an external battery they'd almost be perfect. Well that and they cannot receive a solar charge higher than 22v which is also lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

StabbinHobo posted:

one thing i can never figure out about these EGO and Goal Zero products is how do you get it so that you can simultaneously be charging them with a solar panel *and* running some load off them.
You literally just plug stuff in and it works. Most of these though have buttons or switches to turn the DC, USB or AC inverter ports on and off.

quote:

i have two big south facing windows in my office, and my "desktop" is an Intel NUC that works of a 19V DC power supply. I would love to put a 50W panel in each window, connect them to <THING> and then connect my nuc to <THING> and have it "just work".

I'm assuming two 50W panels, behind glass, at a lovely angle, are going to produce something like 200Wh/day. Intel says this NUC will draw 15W at full workload, so i'm going to assume something like 20 hours a day of 5W and 5 hours a day of 15W, so ~175Wh/day. It should work. I just cant figure out what to buy.

Not sure what a NUC is, but if it requires 19v DC, a yeti won't work for you as the DC outputs are 12v. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure any portable battery/solar chargers can output to 24v. How on earth do you power it now?