Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Those are all questions I want to find out the answer to. I've been eyeing some prismatic lipofe4 cells on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

A NUC is a small computer, imagine if you look a laptop guts but no screen and tried to put it in the smallest box possible.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Are prismatic lipofe4 cells the same power density as cylindrical cells? I guess they aren't or all the batteries would be rectangular.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Lifetime of lead acid batteries is worse, and they are much less energy dense. But they are less expensive, though the gap is closing. They have LiPoFe4 car battery replacements that are (IIRC) 2-3x a normal battery.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What is affordable?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I ordered 8x 20Ah lifepo4 pouches, so I need to figure out how I'm using them exactly.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I got a free cell somehow, so now I've got 28.8V of lifepo4. The plan is something like this:

Bidirectional charger between car and lifepo4 (looking at LTC3871)

Eventually add AC charging for the lifepo4, which would let me charge the car battery from AC indirectly

36V supply for audio and inverter is going to be LTC3897, maybe with a system to turn some phases off for better efficiency at low load

TAS3251 for amplifiers

Cell balancing - not sure, looking at stuff like LTC3300 with active balancing that can move charge between cells and not just cell to pack, might try to clone the 3300 with a little microcontroller

Still need to pick a controller and UI stuff. It'd be cool to have an eInk display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That looks nice, I am a little disappointed it isn't the world's finest cooler.

What is 'power pole' charging?