Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

helno posted:

I’m probably in the market or a DIY battery.

I have an old motor glider that I want to fly with electric power. Have a motor and speed control that expects a 28s lithium battery.

Need at least 6 kWh and a peak discharge rate of 25 kW.

I’ve been on the lookout for batteries from a wrecked zero but they are few and far between.

There is a guy selling model 3 cells for $350 a kWh on endless sphere. Might be easier than 900 18650’s.

I built a 0.4 kWh pack out of 36 18650:s using a spot welder, nickel welding strips and 3D printed spacers/brackets for the cells. IMO spot welding is the way to go, soldering directly to cells is a bad idea and soldering wires to pre-welded tabs becomes a massive pain in the rear end really quickly.

The problem with 18650s is that they haven't been really designed for any kind of cooling in mind and with a big pack and high discharge current both the cooling and the amount of hardware you need to connect everything together with enough current capacity starts to become an issue...

The LiFeYPO4 (3.2V/100Ah) cells used in the video above are massively easier to build a big pack out of, I would definitely pay a bit more for those than try to build a thousand 18650 cell pack. Max discharge rate is just 3C though. I'm considering an putting an electric motor in a sailboat and will probably need 2 kW constant power for at least 2 hours, those cells look pretty good for that use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU