Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Okay I'm getting much better at this game, I can now reliably kill Elysium boss, and so long as I have a few death defiances and don't constantly gently caress up I can kill the last boss.

Last run had some great RNG with a rank 1 Poseidon Sword, with Flood shot nuking groups, Exit Wounds to gently caress up single enemies with single target, and Greatest Reflex to make dislodged bloodstones head back towards me without having to spend a dash on picking them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Eternal Spear is the only Infernal Arms I can't eke out a win with. Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm nowhere near as skilled as I think I am and I am merely being carried by strong boon combos on the better weapons.

What is a good target for spear boons if I don't have any Titan Blood investment? Spear attacks tend to be on the slow side, so that kind of precludes Dio or Zeus spam. I had an earlier try with a spin attack build on the Zag spear, it was honestly okay but I just made too many mistakes on the last boss.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Spear is definitely one of the trickier weapons to master yeah. I think it does kind of depend on what hammer boons you get. You can also try a special spam build.

Poseidon, Aphrodite or Athena are decent boons since they scale well with the spear's higher damage. Always look out for Hermes boons to help up its otherwise mediocre speed.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I like the spear (Brusher's Pike was also one of my favourites in Bastion) but one thing to note is that the range on the standard attack is longer than you might expect and getting used to that means standing further away from enemies which means taking less damage. If you're getting right up close like you're using the sword or the fists you're probably doing it wrong.

For me it feels like a precision weapon (think bow) rather than a mashing weapon. Play accordingly.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I will never leave my first love, the Fists with Magnetic Cutter. the "Cmere, now gently caress off, now cmere" loop is so satisfying, especially when you pair it with some Poseidon boons that add knockback. Enemies pinballing everywhere.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Oh I got the Spear W with a Vicious/Chain Skewer special spam. I think I'll fill out Zag Fists/Chaos Shield/Poseidon Sword/Eris Rail/Chiron Bow/Achilles Spear as I accumulate heat.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Eternal Spear is the only Infernal Arms I can't eke out a win with. Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm nowhere near as skilled as I think I am and I am merely being carried by strong boon combos on the better weapons.

What is a good target for spear boons if I don't have any Titan Blood investment? Spear attacks tend to be on the slow side, so that kind of precludes Dio or Zeus spam. I had an earlier try with a spin attack build on the Zag spear, it was honestly okay but I just made too many mistakes on the last boss.

The special on the eternal spear hits like a truck, play it like a ranged weapons and just throw death harpoons at things.

EDIT: I was thinking of the hidden spear aspect here, got my names mixed up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Spear is kinda weird imho, it has a lot of neat features but they don’t…gel together as well as other weapons? Something that is pretty useful for using the spear as hidden tech is that if you charge the normal then dash you do the dash and then instantly pop off the charged attack. Same thing works with the sword normal, which is really weird since there’s a hammer option that’s literally just that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Oh I got the Spear W with a Vicious/Chain Skewer special spam. I think I'll fill out Zag Fists/Chaos Shield/Poseidon Sword/Eris Rail/Chiron Bow/Achilles Spear as I accumulate heat.

https://www.leereamsnyder.com/hades-build-guide is your friend

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Spear is kinda weird imho, it has a lot of neat features but they don’t…gel together as well as other weapons? Something that is pretty useful for using the spear as hidden tech is that if you charge the normal then dash you do the dash and then instantly pop off the charged attack. Same thing works with the sword normal, which is really weird since there’s a hammer option that’s literally just that.

That works for all Spear spins and it's what makes them usable, because trying to charge the spin stationary, while there are enemies in a hit range, is basically a suicide, outside of Hades Aspect.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Spin attack is crap even if you're using exploit tech to make it better. Even with the Quick Spin hammer it's too slow. There's the charge-up time but also the attack animation itself takes a while so the overall DPS is miserable. Like, the thing that matters in Hades is the bosses and that means AoE is in general just not a thing you want to focus on. Even with Hades Spear, the spin is a thing you use to trigger the extra damage. (IIRC hades spear is one of the low-rated weapons in high level play, "spin to win" is a gimmick build.)

Spear is a good weapon, but it's sneaky-good.

* For the three main aspects, attack is the bread and butter. It does good damage and has more range than you think. Dash-attack is quite good.
* On Zag & Hades spear, special can be good if you get the hammers to power it up. Otherwise it's kinda slow. A very cool thing is you trigger backstabs constantly when recalling the spear, so backstab builds can be great. (Exploding is actually a meh hammer because it has no backstab.)
* Achilles spear OTOH must focus on attack or cast, because your special is now an extra-long dash that also powers those up.
* Guan Yu Spear is all about special.

Spear is probably my favorite overall weapon. Having more melee range works great with the Always Be Dashing mantra. It means you can be slightly sloppy about positioning, which I find very useful. IMO achilles is fun on a bun once you figure it out. Embrace chaos and teleport around like a hyperactive anime character.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The spear becomes awesome if you can get exploding launcher. Launching it into an explosion is great. Good damage. The best is with Poseidon Boon combined with Breaking Wave and/or Typhoons Fury. One launch of that will clear a room in the final area. But I also like it with the Ares to get lots of Doom on a cluster. If you can get the Hermes boon to make it faster, it's just bonkers.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Pretty sure my fastest run ever was with hidden spear. Exploding special can do bonkers damage

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I will never leave my first love, the Fists with Magnetic Cutter. the "Cmere, now gently caress off, now cmere" loop is so satisfying, especially when you pair it with some Poseidon boons that add knockback. Enemies pinballing everywhere.

And to stay out of harm's way, the cutter also works through solid surfaces. So you can keep a wall or column between you and the enemy and paddle ball them against that surface. Even better with some Poseidon boons, like you say, like ones that boost damage for knockback into walls.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

achilles spear is insane if you focus on casts

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

achilles spear is insane if you focus on casts

Yeah, Aspect of Achilles with Hunting Blades (for example) is an easy win

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Got the credits on Escape number 33. It was a pretty decent run with Zag fists and Plume, with Dionysus and Rolling/Sturdy Hammers on the light attack, and the Dio/Ares duo DoT. I'm only slightly mad that I didn't get to .fight Dad at the end, he gave me a free W. When I really wanted to test that build out against the last boss, I probably would have melted him.

Also I wish I did that run on a higher heat, marked some more annoying prophecy challenges off.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Got the credits on Escape number 33. It was a pretty decent run with Zag fists and Plume, with Dionysus and Rolling/Sturdy Hammers on the light attack, and the Dio/Ares duo DoT. I'm only slightly mad that I didn't get to .fight Dad at the end, he gave me a free W. When I really wanted to test that build out against the last boss, I probably would have melted him.

Also I wish I did that run on a higher heat, marked some more annoying prophecy challenges off.

The real pro strategy is to make that particular escape your 32 heat run.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 19, 2024

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

The real pro strategy is to make that particular escape your 32 heat run.

Oh that's sneaky. Does it count? Wouldn't you need to already have done the first two statues? In fact, isn't the Pact only unlocked after ten wins?

I remember that when I got my tenth successful run I was annoyed because it would have been the first one with a new weapon (probably the Rail) and I didn't get the prophecy credit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Oh that's sneaky. Does it count? Wouldn't you need to already have done the first two statues? In fact, isn't the Pact only unlocked after ten wins?

I remember that when I got my tenth successful run I was annoyed because it would have been the first one with a new weapon (probably the Rail) and I didn't get the prophecy credit.

Iirc the pact is after one successful run, it’s been a hot minute since ive done a non-Hell run but it’d be weird to not have it unlocked after that since you have the chance of wasted runs if you’d prefer sticking to the same weapons

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc the pact is after one successful run, it’s been a hot minute since ive done a non-Hell run but it’d be weird to not have it unlocked after that since you have the chance of wasted runs if you’d prefer sticking to the same weapons

Oh you're probably right actually. Makes more narrative sense for it to be part of the "testing defences" but yeah mechanically you'd need it before that to avoid wasted runs as you said.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

As someone who finished Hades relatively recently (like a year or two ago) I can confirm the pact unlocks after your first win.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
lmao I had the most ludicrious loving run ever.

Eris Rail + Cluster Bombs + Rocket Bomb + Support Fire

And at the same time, 5 bloodstones + Lightning Rod + Mirage Shot + Flurry Cast + Quick Reload

Last two bosses died in what felt like moments.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That occasional run where all the boons/hammers fall your way and you end up a genuine Dad Deleting Diety™ really does put a smile to your face. I love how much variance there can be in Zag's powerscaling even after you're deep into a save file and have most of the mirror/weapons upgrades.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
On the other hand, having a bullshit run where you know by Asphodel that you're gonna be boned is super frustrating sometimes. There will be runs where it feels like you just aren't doing any damage

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Soul Dentist posted:

On the other hand, having a bullshit run where you know by Asphodel that you're gonna be boned is super frustrating sometimes. There will be runs where it feels like you just aren't doing any damage

If you have rerolls unlocked, Asphodel is too early to call it quits. There are plenty of sick combos where your build is terrible until suddenly it's the opposite. But you better have something in mind that you're aiming for.

If you don't have rerolls yet, uh yeah it sucks. Don't use the "give up" menu though -- you don't keep the darkness and other stuff you collected that run. Just stand in the lava or something.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Sometimes you have builds that only come together at Styx, like when I recently only got Hunting Blades there. Had to aim those slicing shot casts manually like a chump. Luckily Cow Man likes to hang out at the edge of the arena, and that meant the dot zones would bounce off the wall and linger there on top of him, which sure made the fight easier.

And other times you get the all boons are epic Legendary on literally the last boon from Charon’s final shop. Still took it for three prophecy tho.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

And at the same time, 5 bloodstones + Lightning Rod + Mirage Shot + Flurry Cast + Quick Reload

That basically the speedrunner build iirc. I dont remember all the names for stuff.

Just turn yourself into Contra man

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My first "lol" run was when I somehow ended up with almost all of the Demeter boons, including the "if everything is chilled they decay" one. It didn't feel all that powerful up until Hades, who just loving died. Literally everything on screen was freezing to death at all times.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought the speed runner build was splash dash with lightning strike

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Breaking Wave with Splash Dash will clear out rooms of mobs insanely fast, but isn't super effective on bosses.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

finally caught a sturgeon

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

sebzilla posted:

I can confirm it does work, as it’s exactly how I got my 32 heat.

Even then it was very, very hard.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

I did a run yesterday that was shockingly close to this, Eris Rail + Cluster Bomb + Rocket Bomb is just absurd. I kinda hate how you can't reroll on hammers, but I understand why since there are almost as broken combos for many of the weapons.

On the other hand, ever since I found out you can save scum the anvil in act 4, letting you get 6 chances at randoming for that perfect triple hammer setup (even if you only get to use it for the last fight), I just can't resist trying for those broken setups every drat time (the half of the time that an anvil shows up, anyway).

Victory Lap fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 5, 2024

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Maybe I am stupid but I don't really get it. I thought you could only raise the maximum Heat for a weapon by 1 for every successful escape, so as far as my knowledge there would be no way you could have 32 heat on your 10th successful escape. Does Hell Mode remove the limit and just let you choose any heat level you want? Trying to look up the answer to that but finding nothing helpful.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
You don't get extra rewards for doing a heat 10 run when you haven't finished a heat 1 run, but as soon as you've beaten a single run on heat 0 you can turn it to any heat level you want. It'll just treat your heat 10 or 20 or 32 run as if you beat a heat 1 run.

Victory Lap fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 5, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Item Getter posted:

Maybe I am stupid but I don't really get it. I thought you could only raise the maximum Heat for a weapon by 1 for every successful escape, so as far as my knowledge there would be no way you could have 32 heat on your 10th successful escape. Does Hell Mode remove the limit and just let you choose any heat level you want? Trying to look up the answer to that but finding nothing helpful.

So if you've completed heat 1-4 on a weapon, and then you blam it all the way up to heat 32, you're effectively completing the heat 5 run but with way more heat. Next time you use that weapon you'll have to do heat 6 to get the boss rewards.

But you'll get any other rewards that depend on having beaten a run with X heat, which is why people do it.

(Also it's not a big deal, IMO don't bother counting runs.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also for the challenge, I’d rather just do Hell Mode but raising your heat past the required reward threshold is allowed pretty much just so you add extra challenge to the game if you’re getting bored.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Last Celebration posted:

Also for the challenge, I’d rather just do Hell Mode but raising your heat past the required reward threshold is allowed pretty much just so you add extra challenge to the game if you’re getting bored.

The people counting wins so they can do a 32 heat run specifically for their 10th clear are not exactly doing that for the challenge. Kinda the opposite in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Ah OK, the game UI yelling about "The heat level is too high!!!" if you notch it up by more than 1 made me think it was preventing you from entering the dungeon when it was saying that and you could only increase it by one at a time.
Also no I'm not personally trying to do that heat 32 clear, just curious how it worked since I guess I misunderstood how Heat works due to the game UI yelling at you if you bump it up by more than 1. As someone who doesn't normally play roguelike games, I'm the type who is happy just to consider a game to be done after rolling credits (which I finally did the other day after not having touched the game for a year).