Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah last time they added a few more gods during early access. So I'd expect at least a couple more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Sydin posted:

:yeah:

Early dumb and probably wrong story predictions: I feel like Melinoë's parentage is similarly going to end up being a bit more complicated than Zag's. The fact that she seemingly has no memory of her family, no proof they really were her family besides some "unfinished portrait" left in her bedroom, and all the stuff around Hecate telling her "you should be really mad about you your family got owned, death to Kronos" while Melinoë responds "yeah really having trouble getting mad here about the family I don't know who got killed by the guy I also don't know" just really twigs my a twist is definitely coming senses. There's also her affinity to the moon goddess

Adding to this is also that there are apparently two paths to starting a new run - one going down and one going up - and the one going up is currently locked with the devs in the stream being coy about why and when you'd want to go up. Can you also assault Olympus? And if so, is there more complexity to the whole "Kronos imprisoned your family" thing? Not gonna lie I'm loving hype.

My impression is that the second gate is tied to this game's Pact of Punishment otherwise the scope would be way too large, but they have had a while to plan things out...

Anyways, since I'm devastated by missing out on the technical, time to play a round or two of the original instead.

EDIT: Oh, neat, finally picked that up. I think that's quite literally everything except farming hundreds of thousands of Darkness then.

Also, with the new additions to the Hades 2 minigames, is it now considered a farming game?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 18, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
people have datamined the technical test and found portraits of what appears to be the following characters: hermes, eris, heracles, the fates, chronos (of course), icarus, polyphemus, and a singing sea monster who is maybe scylla or charybdis?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

as much as I get loving a game and wanting to know stuff sooner datamining a tech test is some bitchass poo poo; let the devs show stuff when they want to show stuff

(also not meant as an attack on lih it's a general thing)

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Owl at Home posted:

Might be wrong, but I'm going to guess that the unknown figure could be Odysseus. I remember him being mentioned as a character that almost made it into the first game but was cut for time.

I called it! Yay!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let me in! Let me iiiiiin!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just a heads up: According to some people on Reddit, once you beat the boss 5 times, it won't let you leave the starting area any more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Just a heads up: According to some people on Reddit, once you beat the boss 5 times, it won't let you leave the starting area any more.

Correct. I never died so I only got five runs.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

thats dumb

gonna intentionally lose my 5th run each time if i ever get in

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Jossar posted:

My impression is that the second gate is tied to this game's Pact of Punishment otherwise the scope would be way too large, but they have had a while to plan things out...

My guess: First gate goes down (into the Underworld) second gate goes up (Mount Olympus)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Anyone who played the technical test used M+K controls? I noticed that it now says "controller recommended" on the main menu. :/

OTOH the game seems a bit less frenetic than Hades 1 for button mashing, at least at first glance. Maybe I'll be able to use a controller for this one.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Klyith posted:

Anyone who played the technical test used M+K controls? I noticed that it now says "controller recommended" on the main menu. :/

It says that on the first game too, if you load it up without a controller connected.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

given that save progress won’t transfer im very ready to stop playing after the fifth victory anyways :v:

Klyith posted:

OTOH the game seems a bit less frenetic than Hades 1 for button mashing, at least at first glance. Maybe I'll be able to use a controller for this one.

i was a m+k player on 1 and i can report it feels just about the same in 2, nothing to worry about

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 18, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Melinoe is basically Batman right

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Melinoe is basically Batman right

Darkness
No parents
Continued darkness
The opposite of light
Black hole
Curtains drawn
In the basement
Middle of the night
Blacked-out windows

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ImpAtom posted:

Darkness
No parents
Continued darkness
The opposite of light
Black hole
Curtains drawn
In the basement
Middle of the night
Blacked-out windows

Gray walls, impenetrable steel. Suffocation! Condemnation! Little hands groping in subterranean uncertainty. Mommy? Daddy? Am I dead? Nay! Nay! Reborn into purifying fluorescence!

A face emerges, strong and male. Father to me? Father to all! Overseeing our lives, our eternities. Harshness of discipline. Harshness of love. Obedience my savior!

Larva to pupa, pupa to worker. Buzz, buzz! One with the steel honeycomb. 10 lies within the 101, significant at last. Till gray seeps from walls to hair, to soul. Then, eternal slumber, the sweet sleep of incineration.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I only got one run in but my immediate impression is that I’m way more powerful out of the gate than the original. The starting weapon was good up close and at range and then the charge/magic mechanics made doing AoE way easier. I’m still not sure what the base Cast does. I got a boon that regenerated magic points and it allowed to spam heavy attacks non stop.

Overall, it felt familiar yet new and I really enjoyed the small taste.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FooF posted:

I’m still not sure what the base Cast does. I got a boon that regenerated magic points and it allowed to spam heavy attacks non stop.

Sticks enemies in place. In the dev stream they ran into a banshee enemy that moves straight for you with a constant short-range AOE damage cone, you really want it for those guys.

That looks to be the big downside of the Apollo boon that regens your MP. To use the cast for crowd control you don't really want to be standing inside it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Melinoë Melinoë
Melinoë Melinoë
Melinoë Melinoë
Melinoë Melinoë
In the jungle, the mighty jungle…

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hestia has a boon that makes you regenerate 10mp/sec at the cost of 25% of your health and it feels like it's going to be a 100% slam pick 100% of the time.

Also once you unlock the "time slows when charging your attack" ability: There is no cooldown and while time is slowed you move faster that enemy projectiles. If you hold the button down and dodge while doing so you'll instantly go back into time slow again afterwards. This means any time there's any form of bullet hell you can trivially walk through it. (This will 100% be patched, maybe by release date.)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

So far, the most surprising reveal has been Homer

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Oops lol

(not my pic - from reddit)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Fun fact!

Frinos, the name of Melinoë's animal buddy, is the Greek word for toad.

EDIT: Okay, fine, more info.

Frinos might be a reference to the play, The Frogs, by Aristophanes, which does feature a chorus of frogs on a lake by the shores of the Underworld, although only briefly. It's mostly about Dionysus making an idiot of himself, which might hint at his eventual return at some point or at least a moment where he repeats that bit from the original game where him and Zagreus mess with Orpheus and conflate the two in the singer's mind.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 19, 2024

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

Yup. And yet, in retrospect…

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Madurai posted:

I mean, we kinda already knew. It was just hidden in an easter egg.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

lih posted:

people have datamined the technical test and found portraits of what appears to be the following characters: hermes, eris, heracles, the fates, chronos (of course), icarus, polyphemus, and a singing sea monster who is maybe scylla or charybdis?

I just read Circe and want them to add Circe like this is just Greek smash bros

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

same, I think my number one wish would be Daedalus though

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

concur

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Man it's absurd how good the character designs are for these games, just leaps and bounds ahead of everything else out there.

lih
May 15, 2013

they seem to be heavily drawing on the odyssey this time (compared to the first which was drawing more on the iliad) so i really wouldn't rule it out especially given the game's focus on magic

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Zeus' swan form when

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Back when the game was announced somebody ITT suggested Jason & Medea, Medea being a witch and Jason being the most divorced man in myth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just hope Dusa is OK

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

I'm missing the strong spot black shadows and thick linework in the character art from the first game. It was such a fresh and unique look, the Hades 2 designs are nice, but they almost seem a little... toned down? If this is how the character art is going to look I'll get used to it, but I really hope they're just unfinished.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
https://twitter.com/SupergiantGames/status/1781382836123275312

Second wave of invites for the technical test went out yesterday, check Steam!

I got in this wave and spent a couple hours just trying to experience as much of it as possible. Won't go into any details for those that are avoiding spoilers, but I can confidently say it is absolutely fantastic and the level of polish so far is just as good as Hades 1. Music is top-notch as always and the remixes of the previous game's tracks are a treat.

Owl at Home posted:

I'm missing the strong spot black shadows and thick linework in the character art from the first game. It was such a fresh and unique look, the Hades 2 designs are nice, but they almost seem a little... toned down? If this is how the character art is going to look I'll get used to it, but I really hope they're just unfinished.

I feel the same way, especially with the new portraits for some of the returning gods. They're still great but IMO don't hit the same way their Hades 1 portraits did. Hoping they'll get touched up at some point before the full launch.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

At this point I've accepted that I'm not getting into the technical test, which is just as well since nothing in it will carry over to future versions unlike Early Access, but also: arrgh!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think it would be better, for me at least, to just get it when it's here and the whole thing is ready to play. Don't want to start the game or even really hear much about it until then.

I got the first game right when it came out, before it kind of became this huge thing, and I remember being so amazed and instantly addicted. Hoping this one can bring that same feeling.

Not gonna look up a drat thing when it comes out, nor watch anyone play, and definitely won't try for some kind of meta.

Play fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 20, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I kept saying I wanted to wait for the full game but here I am trying to get into the technical test lol

lih
May 15, 2013

i didn't buy the first until shortly before the full release so i am looking forward to experiencing new content get gradually added in early access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I kept saying I wanted to wait for the full game but here I am trying to get into the technical test lol

Same, but at least I’ve been unsuccessful so far