Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wahad posted:

Also Apollo, Hephaestus, Demeter (though given the nature of Zag's quest, she might not be implemented) and maybe Hestia.

E; beaten like Zag by a bone hydra.

Hammers are already in the game, that’s basically what Hephaestus does, and I don’t think Demeter fits, as you said. Apollo works, although the arrow stuff is already covered by Artemis.

Now I want prophet Apollo and a rewind button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Grah. Just gotten the upgrade that boosts damage on baddies aflicted by multiple curses and of course in the runs that follow I only find one per run somehow.

I keep trying the other weapons but good ol Styg feels best for some reason.

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012
According to EGS, I have six days of playtime in this lovely game now. I picked it up the second it hit EA on EGS, and have been playing off and on ever since. The game's beastly good and they've improved so very, very much since the first release.

Winning strats I've found so far:

Artemis is the caster builder. You can use anyone's cast, sure, but still go to her for everything else. She has double casts, extra ammo, her extra ammo stacks with Chaos, and she has an ability to get crit on anything. I know it says 5% or so for crit chance but that adds up really fast.

Zeus is best on the rail with lots of ammo. There is a bow aspect that makes every special arrow home in on whatever your normal arrow hits... don't fall for it. It doesn't seem to proc every Zeus bolt or doom cast sadly. The special just counts as "one" shot, but hits for the full damage.

Speaking of that, the rail has an aspect that does + base damage on a manual reload. At top level this gives you somewhere around 100 extra *base* damage. That is a massive boos, as all of the percents you get are adding off of that. Fire, reload, fire reload and tear things apart.

Ares is deceptively good, especially if you see Artemis early on in your runs. Ares blade storm cast does a lot of damage fast, and has an upgrade that makes it ramp up damage on each hit. Get both of those, along with the upgrade to have it suck in enemies and you have an easy time. However if you are also friends with Artemis, she can bring out a duo boon to give you homing blade storms. I have never lost a run when I landed the homing blade storms.

Another good aspect: Hera aspect for the bow. You really only need one point as the "Drop crystals faster" Isn't such a big deal. The big deal is it lets you load casts onto an arrow and fire it. even the default cast hitting three times on one arrow will stomp most enemies, and when you bring in some of Artemis's tricks or a good festive fog even, you can really ruin some days.

Lastly a great run for low heat (Or no heat) is simply the Chaos Aegis (if unlocked, regular shield otherwise) or Exagriff, and Dionysis. Poison when 5 stacked will remove a lot of problems from your day, and with the shield you can easily poison a whole room at once. With the chaos shield you can 5 stack a room in one shot.

So far though, the funniest part of the game for me is easily:
You can not only flirt with death (Thanatos) but can totally romance him and even get him back to your bedroom. During the courtship he gives you the most adorable keepsake named Mort, and you can use it to summon him almost anywhere for 3k damage. The summons are great and actually talk to the bosses if you conjure them during boss fights.

A close second is what happens when you crank up "extra boss fight mechanics" on the pact of punishment to max. The fight in Elysium gets rather strange.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, I made it past Elysium. Made it past the threshold (I liked the (Not Really) on the vanquish screen). Didn't make it past the part after that. Still, new record for my 23rd run.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lekon posted:

So far though, the funniest part of the game for me is easily:

My first impression of that character when I first met him was that he's just an enormous tsundere for Zagreus, so that entertains me just to know. :allears:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My first impression of that character when I first met him was that he's just an enormous tsundere for Zagreus, so that entertains me just to know. :allears:

he and Meg are 100% Zag's exes imo :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mzbundifund posted:

Haephestus is also a big one, and of course Demeter is somewhat plot-relevant. Hestia also has some mentions in the Adamant Rail flavor text.

Haephestus seems a little redundant given the hammers of Daedalus are already in game, I guess he could be fire/heat themed?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I recall at least one god explicitly mentioning Hephaestus by name and expressing surprise that he hasn't given you any of his boons. Whether that's an indication that they intend to add him, or that they don't intend to add him, I don't really know.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm liking the Pierced Butterfly. Not because anything it does, because I'm slightly less of a bloody idiot when picking it.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
There's a hidden splash image of the upcoming deity in a gameplay trailer that Supergiant released recently:

You can see the relevant portion of the trailer here. Given the cornucopia it's probably Demeter, Goddess of agriculture and mother of Persephone. Hestia and Hera are also possibilities.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

1. Does the smoke from the vents in Asphodel do anything but obscure your vision? I don't really want to try standing around in it during runs to check. I've heard Zagreus cough but I don't know if it's taking health or just an annoyance.

2. Sometimes in Asphodel it seems like bombs are launched from the lava for no discernible reason, am I tripping a trap or does Asphodel just hate me that much? Is it due to the skeleton chilling in the lava some places?

3. If I swap away from a particular spell (or boon in general) will it ever be offered to me again in the same run?

4. Why am I constantly trying to "catch" the bottle the green bottle flinger drops on death? I will literally dash in and try to "interact" with the flipping bottle, especially if it's the last enemy on screen when it dies. Only for green bottle, not the others.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Had a pretty good run combining jolt and poison, as they were pretty easy to keep applied for the damage multiplier. Made it nearly to the end, except idiotically, I didn't plan for phase 2.

My least used god has got to be Poseidon. In fact, I don't think I've even seen his symbol in several runs.

Also, Than and Zag need to just kiss already.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can do some fun stuff with poseidon if you get all his knockback/knock enemies into things boons, but it takes a while to get there, and it's not that useful against bosses so eh

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Magitek posted:

You can see the relevant portion of the trailer here. Given the cornucopia it's probably Demeter, Goddess of agriculture and mother of Persephone. Hestia and Hera are also possibilities.

Totally Demeter. Those are stalks of wheat around her head, too (as opposed to laurels).

kaschei posted:

4. Why am I constantly trying to "catch" the bottle the green bottle flinger drops on death? I will literally dash in and try to "interact" with the flipping bottle, especially if it's the last enemy on screen when it dies. Only for green bottle, not the others.

You and me both. I don't know what it is about it.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 19, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
A question about a final boss attack:

At a certain point in phase 2, he will spawn green urns all over the arena, and soon after deploy an expanding ring that covers everything (like the skull effect only that it covers everything instead of 3/4ths). How do you avoid this attack?
I've just gotten used to either tanking it, or dodging it with some sort of immunity like some of the call effects, because he only seems to use it once or twice during a fight.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It feels like bosses have way too much health, unless you get a crazy combo going I just feel like I'm chipping away and its not fun. Half the time when I get to the Bone Hydra or even the Medusa + Rock Guy fight and I'm not running super high damage I just want to quit because I know I've got a long boring fight ahead of me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Some weird stuff going on with heat. In my current run, when I was choosing heat options at the start, I couldn't get any boss rewards to show up. That is, no matter how high I set the heat, the planning screen told me I already had won the special resources for beating each boss at that level. I know for a fact I haven't. Now that I've started playing (at heat level 1), there are no rewards coming through. Is this a known bug?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Krazyface posted:

Some weird stuff going on with heat. In my current run, when I was choosing heat options at the start, I couldn't get any boss rewards to show up. That is, no matter how high I set the heat, the planning screen told me I already had won the special resources for beating each boss at that level. I know for a fact I haven't. Now that I've started playing (at heat level 1), there are no rewards coming through. Is this a known bug?

It seems to me you have to beat a lower heat run to unlock all the rewards for a higher heat run. So you can't, for example, get 3/4 rewards for 2 heat, then go get 3/4 rewards for 3 heat and so on, you have to complete a run with that heat.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Zag escapes the underworld and get to the surface only to immediately get scooped up by Demeter and stuck up on Olympus. This lasts about a week before Zag gets sick of the place and it becomes the last/new set of biome as he tries to get down.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Broken Cog posted:

A question about a final boss attack:

At a certain point in phase 2, he will spawn green urns all over the arena, and soon after deploy an expanding ring that covers everything (like the skull effect only that it covers everything instead of 3/4ths). How do you avoid this attack?
I've just gotten used to either tanking it, or dodging it with some sort of immunity like some of the call effects, because he only seems to use it once or twice during a fight.

You just need to dash through it. Only the perimeter hurts you. The urns are mainly there to hold you in place if you get too close when they break.

Pwnstar posted:

It feels like bosses have way too much health, unless you get a crazy combo going I just feel like I'm chipping away and its not fun. Half the time when I get to the Bone Hydra or even the Medusa + Rock Guy fight and I'm not running super high damage I just want to quit because I know I've got a long boring fight ahead of me.

This is a reason why keepsake selection is such an important part of strategy. I always take a god to start that will force a boon with high damage potential.

Krazyface posted:

Wow never heard of that one. Definitely hit F10 in game to bring up the bug report screen for that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, nothing feels worse than only getting choices between darkness and gems for the entire first stage.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You just need to dash through it. Only the perimeter hurts you. The urns are mainly there to hold you in place if you get too close when they break.

Thought I tried that and took damage anyway. Will try again though, cheers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaschei posted:

1. Does the smoke from the vents in Asphodel do anything but obscure your vision? I don't really want to try standing around in it during runs to check. I've heard Zagreus cough but I don't know if it's taking health or just an annoyance.

2. Sometimes in Asphodel it seems like bombs are launched from the lava for no discernible reason, am I tripping a trap or does Asphodel just hate me that much? Is it due to the skeleton chilling in the lava some places?

3. If I swap away from a particular spell (or boon in general) will it ever be offered to me again in the same run?

1) Just slowly obscures your vision the more you stand in it. The risk is you won't see something else coming.

2) As far as I can tell it's not related to any trap tile, it just happens when you've been around an Asphodel room long enough.

3) I think it's possible, but swaps are only rarely offered in the first place, so getting the precise god and precise swap is extremely unlikely.

4) Video game instinct that green things are good? I mean, you can deflect the bombs if you catch them in the air so they're not totally useless...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was not a fan of the bow in Bastion and it seems to follow the same principles in Hades

my brain is too overtaxed during a melee to deal with this timed-hits nonsense

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

3) There’s a chance, but being offered a swap is pretty rare in the first place. You can dramatically improve the odds if you purge the slot, especially if the other four primary slots are full.

Oxxidation posted:

i was not a fan of the bow in Bastion and it seems to follow the same principles in Hades

my brain is too overtaxed during a melee to deal with this timed-hits nonsense

It’s pretty safe to ignore - I think it’s only a 20% damage boost by default (maybe less?) so it’s not worth the hassle unless you get the hammer upgrade.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 19, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Swaps are rare? Feels like I get the option for one almost every time I pick up a new boon after I've filled out some of the main (attack, special, cast, call) boon slots.
They also seem to almost always be one rarity higher than the boon you are currently using in that slot.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Swaps are rare? Feels like I get the option for one almost every time I pick up a new boon after I've filled out some of the main (attack, special, cast, call) boon slots.
They also seem to almost always be one rarity higher than the boon you are currently using in that slot.

I should clarify that being offered particular swaps is rare. You have to fill all of your main slots first and then your only offered one out of five possibilities, when is pretty slim odds when you’ll probably only have one or two shots. Purging the slot makes it a sure thing if the other main slots are full, provided you find that god again.

E: I often won’t bother filling all the main slots if a good synergy isn’t offered, which is probably why I think of them as being rare in general :v:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 19, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

This is a reason why keepsake selection is such an important part of strategy. I always take a god to start that will force a boon with high damage potential.

I'm not super experienced yet but I have difficulty justifying picking anything except the pierced butterfly

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I had two wins in a row last night, first with the bow, then with the railgun. Both times I felt like I wasn't getting boons that fit the weapons, but somehow they all combined to be absolute world enders. With the bow, I had Hera's aspect, Festive Fog, Aphrodite's weak on special and extra damage on weak, and Poseidon's slam on attack. Between all of them bosses melted. My railgun run was crit heavy with Artemis, but focused so heavily on Dionysus and Poseidon that I got their duo boon, which loving rules: all boons from that one on are Epic rarity or higher.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I just had a run with the bow where chaos gave me two attack +60% boons, I got the auto-fire upgrade and the sniper upgrade, and an epic athena attack up, and was capping people for 350 at the end game. Still almost died when I ran into the boss satyr who spams needles at you and can chunk the poo poo out of you super fast.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Andrast posted:

I'm not super experienced yet but I have difficulty justifying picking anything except the pierced butterfly

Pick up the poseidon sword/hera bow and start with the artemis trinket, enjoy your free win

Some really good trinkets:

- Cerberus is good in the beginning when you don't have enough darkness to start with 100 hp
- Nyx is also good in the beginning because you'll want to pick up a lot of darkness and the heal will keep you going a while longer
- I will almost always equip Hypnos early in a run then switch to something else (unless I went with pierced butterfly), 200 gold is quite a lot of money
- Skelly is quite good against daddy, especially in hell mode where you don't have as many death defiances
- Myrmidon's bracer is great value and gets really dumb with aphrodite/athena
- Same for broken spearpoint but that might be because I'm playing on hell mode which removes iframes, don't know how valuable it would be on normal mode
- Dusa is surprisingly ok in Elysium
- God trinkets are very useful when you want to take your run in a certain direction, like if a weapon really benefits from a particular god or if you really want a particular duo boon

Trinkets are really strong and well worth your time (well maybe not Sisyphus). Purchase the trinket swapping thingy asap and get in the habit of swapping them through the run.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Andrast posted:

It makes you go slow. Gotta go fast.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Eraflure posted:

Trinkets are really strong and well worth your time (well maybe not Sisyphus). Purchase the trinket swapping thingy asap and get in the habit of swapping them through the run.

The shackles can out in some solid work since they buffed them to work on trap damage too. Get some knock back and let spikes, lava and everything in Elysium do your work.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Andrast posted:

The damage boost can be nice, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, you lose your damage boost if you eventually switch to a different keepsake. So it's fine if you'll be sticking with it, but otherwise it's just a temporary bump. I personally wouldn't take the extra damage at the expense of extra coin, a death defiance and a guaranteed killer boon over the course of the same run. My experience has been that with decent planning you'll almost always be doing good damage by the end of your run anyway (especially once your mirror is built up).

Tellaris posted:

...Still almost died when I ran into the boss satyr who spams needles at you and can chunk the poo poo out of you super fast.

I absolutely HATE those fuckers. Losing track of them and eating needles over and over is the worst. I'll deal with shield carriers all day over those assholes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Doesn’t the extra coin keepsake take back the loan if you swap it out? I could have sworn that was the case when I tried it. Maybe if you end Tartarus with a pittance it’s okay?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So what's the strongest combos people have found so far? I still haven't had anything come close to beating the sword with the Ares/Athena duo boon, doom on attack and deflect on dodge. It just demolished everything like nothing else.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like Ares a lot because I am not experienced enough to know when is safe to attack, so by moving defensively and attacking occasionally his doom effects let me keep my damage reasonable while still paying most of my attention on avoiding enemy attacks. I can see him getting less compelling as I learn enemy animations to the point that I can attack more without taking damage, but for now it's really tempting to take his blood vial as my Tartarus trinket.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Stickman posted:

Doesn’t the extra coin keepsake take back the loan if you swap it out? I could have sworn that was the case when I tried it. Maybe if you end Tartarus with a pittance it’s okay?

Nope, you keep it. You definitely want to swap it out after one area though, since you get no additional benefit after getting the 200 coin.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Broken Cog posted:

So what's the strongest combos people have found so far? I still haven't had anything come close to beating the sword with the Ares/Athena duo boon, doom on attack and deflect on dodge. It just demolished everything like nothing else.

So far my best loadout for pure DPS has been something like the following:

1. Artemis cast and double cast arrow boon
2. Chaos boons to give extra casts and cast damage
3. Boon for extra damage when a cast comes out of an enemy
4. Poseidon-spec sword that knocks casts out of an enemy immediately on special

On the last fight a crit cast would hit for 1500 damage. Both phases took under 90 seconds together.

In general I've found if there's a weapon you don't really like to use it's usually quite viable to just jury-rig a cast build within a run that can be effective enough to clear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eraflure posted:

Pick up the poseidon sword/hera bow and start with the artemis trinket, enjoy your free win

Some really good trinkets:

i'm a big fan of all cosmic egg all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Aremis/Ares Duo has been the most powerful mix I've found. I've seen it drop the final boss in four casts if you have the ramping damage as well. Artemis and casting period is just incredible.

Ares God Power is also super deadly. I had a run last night where with it and the ramping damage I chunked off 1/3rd of the final boss's health bar while invulnerable.