Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Yeah Darren Korb is the best, he's soundtracked all of Supergiant's games. He voiced Zag as a placeholder early in development and obviously nailed it so they kept him on. He also provided Orpheus' singing voice, and Skelly.

Darren Korb is in that rarified air of "can do no wrong" similar to Simon Viklund, across a large range of musical genres, which is bonkers to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Darren Korb is also the best speedrunner on the Hades staff, a man of many talents

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
If you haven't watched it yet I highly recommend Noclip's series following the development of Hades, which includes a bunch of footage of Korb rocking tf out

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-THgg8QnvU4JEVov1tMlFThNYS92F8uC&feature=shared

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CharlestonJew posted:

Hades rules but I’ll probably wait for the full release on Hades 2. By the time the full game came out I barely touched it cuz I already had like 60 full runs from EA
Playing mid to late EA was imo the funnest way to play it. I'll buy Hades 2 in EA after all the bosses and levels are in.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There was a period in Hades 1's development where you could just keep buying Death Defiances across the run. Just more and more of them. It was expensive, but worth it.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There were lots of dumb things you could do in EA that eventually got removed. Now they only live on in song and memory.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Captain_Person posted:

If you haven't watched it yet I highly recommend Noclip's series following the development of Hades, which includes a bunch of footage of Korb rocking tf out

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-THgg8QnvU4JEVov1tMlFThNYS92F8uC&feature=shared

Yeah what’s crazy is that he not only composed the soundtrack he is also basically every instrument.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they've said the early access launch will be further along than the first game's ea launch was - at least as far along as it was when it was released on steam after a year of early access (but that was still 10 months before 1.0), so it probably won't spend as much time in early access either

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I think my favorite dumb EA strategy was back when you could chain like five dashes at the start of the run, and they hadn’t hammered out Pom scaling yet, so the meta strat was to force the Zeus dash, cram eight or ten Poms onto it, then kill everything with the dash without ever swinging your weapon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Zagreus sounds really good, it's crazy that Darren Korb was just the placeholder voice actor. No wonder they decided to go with him in the end.

I'm super excited to try out new weapons in Hades 2. I hope supergiant go crazy again like they did with the Adamant Rail.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Zag is really good and Korb absolutely nails it.

Torrannor posted:

I'm super excited to try out new weapons in Hades 2. I hope supergiant go crazy again like they did with the Adamant Rail.

I'm hoping for some absolutely cracked magic nonsense based on the trailer.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'd like a little more enemy variety as well, get a little crazier with them

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I like that there’s only so many enemy types for “gitting gud” purposes, but that said give me all the hosed up little guys you can as additional Pact options. Or I guess do what Hades 1 kind of does already and trickle in new enemies to old zones when you make it to the surface, but massively expanded. And no Wretched Sneaks, please no more of those guys.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the main thing i really want to see is ways for runs to have a bit more variety between them, like different areas you can choose between in a run with their own enemies etc.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Man I wish I was Darren Korb

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hmm, more enemy variety sounds really good at first, but I'm not sure how it would be.

One of the things that makes Hades 1 great is that you have so much variety in your own build. That's hard, and the enemies / bosses being fairly limited in types makes it a more tractable thing to balance. If you add in options for like "go left to Acheron, go right for Oceanus Beach" where you will see different levels and enemies, I think that becomes an optimization choice rather than a variety choice.

But I dunno, that pre-supposes they're just doing the same general design for 2. Maybe they'll invert things and have less build variety & more world variety?

The only thing I solidly want them to "fix" for the sequel is to design encounters to fit the music tracks better. You know that the soundtrack is gonna rip. One of the few things I think is a legit flaw about Hades is too many short encounters that end right as the music is really turning it up.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm korbkobbed

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's Korbin' time

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

lih posted:

the main thing i really want to see is ways for runs to have a bit more variety between them, like different areas you can choose between in a run with their own enemies etc.

Absolutely this. Even if you still only need to clear 4 or so areas to beat the game they need to build at least double that number and have a dead-cells type system where you can pick your route
(or have it picked for you) just to add some variety to a by-design already repetitive gameplay loop.

That's one thing I was surprised to not be able to find when I looked a while back - Mods for Hades that give extra levels, weapons, boons and monsters. Hell, with what AI is capable of these days you could even mod in some fully-voiced fan-fiction-tier additional story dialogue. Like I'm sure most of it would be laughably terrible but I'm surprised that for a game this popular it hasn't been tried, or at least I've not looked in the right places to find it if it has.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cactus posted:

Absolutely this. Even if you still only need to clear 4 or so areas to beat the game they need to build at least double that number and have a dead-cells type system where you can pick your route
(or have it picked for you) just to add some variety to a by-design already repetitive gameplay loop.

That's one thing I was surprised to not be able to find when I looked a while back - Mods for Hades that give extra levels, weapons, boons and monsters. Hell, with what AI is capable of these days you could even mod in some fully-voiced fan-fiction-tier additional story dialogue. Like I'm sure most of it would be laughably terrible but I'm surprised that for a game this popular it hasn't been tried, or at least I've not looked in the right places to find it if it has.

There were mods on Nexus that added new voice lines for the extra boons they add. I wonder if those got pulled for some reason?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cactus posted:

That's one thing I was surprised to not be able to find when I looked a while back - Mods for Hades that give extra levels, weapons, boons and monsters.

There's a small community doing it, mostly for one big community-driven mod that adds 2 more gods with a full set of well-balanced boons, plus art and voice acting.

But the game is not particularly moddable. It's built with Supergiant's own engine rather than UE or Unity that have toolsets and known systems. Half the game is very approachable lua scripts, the other half is inaccessible game code. I think new enemies, or a new weapon that's really unique and not just remixes of existing effects, would require game code to make happen.

Also mod compatibility is insanely difficult, since most of the available gameplay changes involve writing additional code on those lua scripts. If your mod and my mod make changes to the same function, there is a high chance we step on each other's toes. There's a tool to try to manage that but it looked kinda difficult & imperfect when I looked into it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

my favorite Darren Korb factoid is that Logan Cunningham (VA of the narrator for all the supergiant games) is his highschool buddy and they recorded the lines for Bastion in an apartment closet while they were roommates

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wish I could play Bastion but the constant voiceovers pissed me off. Irrationally. Like I don't have anything bad I can articulate about it, I just can't stand it for some reason.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Man, going back to Bastion now the narration is the only thing I feel is absent from the later games. It was very reactive to player action for the time.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

lih posted:

Yeah, I always thought the temple of Styx was kinda a crappy way to end, a little variety would be nice.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

A jargogle posted:

Man, going back to Bastion now the narration is the only thing I feel is absent from the later games. It was very reactive to player action for the time.

this sounds like not a big thing at all now but i remember being incredibly wow'd by it at the time.

also agreed about darren korb - great and ive greatly enjoyed all the osts

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Coming onto the Hades train very late obviously but man it loving owns, I've been playing nothing else for the past week. I got my first clear on run #28 and then after a few more intermittent fails and clears went on a 13 run clear streak, using all the different weapons and trying to get used to different aspects etc. I was quite pleased with my ability to generally get something out of whatever build I could cobble together and alter my playstyle accordingly.

I've just run into an aspect of beowulf shaped wall though. I know from googling it's regarded as one of the most broken aspects in a positive way but jesus I really don't feel it. I don't want to entirely copy builds from the internet because part of the fun is figuring out synergies yourself but I get the general idea is stacking things into the casts to smash into the enemy's face but it seems to rely a lot on getting very specific gods, chaos boons and hammers in a timely fashion or else it's just deeply unfun, slow and weak to play. I just gave up my last run because I was near the end of Asmodeus and utterly impotent and I couldn't take limping on only to die to Theseus or more likely some poo poo halfway through Elysium when normally I'd be making everything melt by now.

Maybe that's just because it's contrary to my normal style which is zipping around like a squirrel on meth while my casts do a lot of the work for me, or while I plink with powerful ranged damage, or while I dash between all the enemies spamming fast attacks with huge crits.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 23, 2024

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Use a trinket to force Dionysus or Aphrodite as your first boon. Get their cast. Also make sure you have multiple blood crystals for your cast, not the regeneration crystals. Load all crystals into your rush every time, enjoy obliterating everything with one hit.

You don't need anything else for the build, just focus on improving your casts.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Prokosch posted:

You don't need anything else for the build, just focus on improving your casts.

Which also means, actively limit your boon list by selling off boons in the purge wells & turning down rooms with gods that don't have a good duo for your cast. That way you can level up the cast with poms.

(IMO you don't need to force Aphrodite or Dio for the cast -- Artemis and Broseidon are also great choices due to having very good synergies for their casts via tier 2 or duo boons. The cast damage may start out weaker but can end up stronger.)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The Artemis/Poseidon duo is broken on Beowulf. And I mean that quite literally. Mirage Shot is supposed to make your cast fire twice per stone, with the second shot doing 35% of the regular damage. With Beowulf, you get two 'pulses' of damage... but they're both full damage, instead of one being 35% of normal.

On the opposite end of the spectrum though you have Poseidon/Ares, which does NOT work how you would hope it does with Beowulf.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wow. Even at just Rank 1, Zeus Shield is friggin' AMAZING!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Got the itch to return to Hades after a long break and try finish off some of the stuff I didn't do before. Am now up to 15 heat with the Fists aspect of Demeter, just a bit more for 16 and the last achievement!

Then iirc I just have a few bits left then it can go back to rest:

Get Asterius' autograph
Defeat Charon twice in a row
Beat 32 heat (fat chance with my skills...)

I'm probably missing something as I'm _still_ getting new dialogue showing up, even after maxing all relationships.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Depending on how good you are at the game I feel like you’ll run out of stuff to do (beyond, like the insane stuff like maxing out every keepsake and getting enough titan blood to max out every aspect) before seeing all the dialogue prompts since it’s so reactionary. At least that’s my feeling on every file after the first one I ever made, Hell Mode helps but still. I think it took thirty runs for my first Hades kill and around that much to hit the credit roll on the save I just started.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Maxing out the keepsakes seems much more achievable ATM than affording all the decorative poo poo the contractor has to offer. I'm at 60ish runs and 30 clears and nearly have the keepsakes all maxed

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

A couple of weeks ago I finished a run where I finally maxed out the relationships and I can't imagine grinding past that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I seem to have inadvertently made the Gorgon think we're a thing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m confused by the “inadvertent” part tbqh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It could be like.... years.... to go from EA on Steam to Switch or PS5 releases, right?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

mcmagic posted:

It could be like.... years.... to go from EA on Steam to Switch or PS5 releases, right?

Probably depends on how busted it is. I figure supergiant has a pretty good development pipeline at this point. But who knows what new poo poo they're throwing into Hades 2.

I bet 8-12 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hades 1 took 2 years from EA to PC & Switch release, then another year for a PS & xbox.

I'd vaguely anticipate 2 to take less time, just because it's been quite a while since Hades was finished. Versus Hades being in EA only a year after Pyre and was much less complete in the initial EA release.

OTOH that assumes they've been working on Hades 2 for all of 2022 and 2023. Maybe they took a year to play around with other game concepts. Maybe they took a year to sit in lounge chairs wearing sunglasses around the olympic swimming pool full of money they made from Hades 1.