Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

WELCOME TO THE UNDERWORLD!

Hades is an action game with rogue-like elements that’s set in the underworld of Greek mythology. It is being developed and published by Supergiant Games, makers of Bastion, Transistor and Pyre.

Hades is :kingsley:OUT NOW:kingsley: on Steam, Epic Games Store, Playstation, Xbox, and the Nintendo Switch. The regular price is $25 USD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8l935Bv0Y

Oh no! I don’t play games in EA!
Well, lucky for you the game has been released as of 9/17/2020! You should go buy it right now!

The Story
You are Prince Zagreus, son of the titular lord of the underworld. Things aren’t copacetic in the house of Hades. So, against your father’s wishes, you resolve to fight through the underworld and escape to the surface or die trying. And die you will. Likely many times. In the process, you’ll learn family secrets and history, meet interesting dead people, and maybe even help some of them lead better and more productive afterlives.

The game is fully voiced and features a ton of dialogue. Seriously, I’ve done hundreds of runs in Hades and I still often hear new lines.

So what’s the gameplay like?
Hades is an isometric hack-and-slash dungeon crawler with rogue-like elements. Combat is fast and often hectic with multiple melee and ranged weapons, special attacks and abilities. Your defense leans heavily on mobility, using dashes to evade damage. Zagreus battles his way through a series of small combat arenas, fighting hordes of enemies and powerful bosses, and collecting items and power-ups along the way. The game is run based (less than an hour each) and highly replayable.

Uh, it’s a “rogue-like,” huh? Is it like a FOR-REALS rogue-like or is it rogue-lite or some other rogue-ish type thing?
Oh FFS, please don’t make me get into some weirdo nerd debate about rogue-like definitions! Hades uses some rogue-like elements including hand-made rooms in randomized order with randomized enemies, abilities and rewards. It also features meta-progression between runs, making Zagreus more powerful over time as you continue to play.

Ah hell. Is this one of those really hard games where you die constantly?
No! Well, yes. But not really! Hades is a challenging game, but with familiar difficulty options seen in other Supergiant games. You will certainly die a bunch, especially early on and before you’ve bought permanent upgrades to strengthen Zagreus. But the game is generally tuned to where most players will eventually be able to beat it with some practice. For players who are interested in a greater challenge, you have the ability to add difficulty modifiers within a Pact of Punishment with points called Heat that makes the game harder in the ways most interesting to you. There’s also a HELL MODE for those who want things even harder and a GOD MODE for those who are struggling and just want to focus on advancing the story rather than gitting gud.

So what kind of powers can you get?
Each run, you’ll receive aid from the Olympian gods in the form of boons. Each god has several unique boons, each one giving you a different buff or enhancement to your weapons or abilities. This may be a damage boost, special effect, mobility boost, or something else entirely. Every boon is useful and potentially very powerful, so it pays to experiment and play with different builds.

There are several Olympians who can currently provide aid. Here’s a quick and not-at-all-inclusive run-down of the gods and their boons:

APHRODITE – Abilities that Charm enemies and inflict Weakness that reduces enemy damage.
ARES – Inflicts Doom on enemies that does a burst of damage after a short delay. Also creates swirling death vortexes called Blade Rifts.
ARTEMIS – Imparts a chance of Critical hits and improves ranged Casting abilities.
ATHENA – Grants the ability to Deflect damage.
DEMETER – Chills and slows enemies. Plus there's, uh, laser crystals...? :nattyburn:
DIONYSUS – Boons that inflict Hangover (poison) damage over time.
HERMES – Increases mobility, attack speed, and dodge chance.
POSEIDON – Grants powerful knockback effects that can slam enemies into walls.
ZEUS – Mostly grants chain lightning and related status effects.

Some boons can combine elements of more than one god in new and interesting ways too. There are some other kind(?) folks around the underworld that might lend you aid in interesting ways too, but we'll leave some surprises for now.

What kind of items are there?
In addition to boons, there are several items you can find in-game.

OBOL COIN – The in-run currency. Use coin to buy extra boons, buffs and items. You lose unspent coin at the end of each run, so spend it when you see something you want.

DARKNESS – Currency used to improve Zag’s abilities between runs. Spend your Darkness at the mirror in your room to get extra dashes, health, bonus damage and increased chances of finding more powerful boons, among other things.

NECTAR – Can be given to NPCs to build your relationships and learn their backstories. There are nice benefits from making friends in the underworld, so spread around the juice.

CENTAUR HEART – Gives a bonus to max health capacity within each run.

CHTHONIC KEYS – Unlocks upgrade options within the mirror, Pact of Punishment difficulty modifiers, new weapons and some in-game chests.

GEMSTONES – Used to upgrade the House of Hades and open some in-game bonuses.

POM OF POWER – Used to level up and increase the power of your boons.

DAEDALUS HAMMER – Modifies your main weapon in powerful ways for the remainder of the run. You can get a maximum of two hammers per run currently due to their strength.

There are also other rare items that you find mostly for beating bosses on increasing Heat levels. These can unlock new weapon variants, upgrade the house and do other interesting things.

How about the tunes?
It's your standard issue Supergiant Games soundtrack, which is to say that it was created by Darren Korb and it is awesome. It is available for purchase now on the Steam and Epic store pages. You can also listen on Darren’s Bandcamp page or on Youtube.

Most importantly, I've heard there is a doggo with lots of heads for petting. Is this true?
Yes. He is a good boys and you can pet hims.

...And the OP came to an end in a way entirely too graphic to describe.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

RESERVED

Let me know if anyone wants anything added.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 1, 2021

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

Is there any point to giving Nectar to NPCs beyond the first one for the keepsake?

Yeah, there are a couple of things. It can advance the NPC's story and add info to the codex, if you care about those things. Also, some characters have a second keepsake that gives a powerful summon. You have to use boss drops to get the actual item, but you won't ever get the option unless you've got that NPC's relationship meter near maxed.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Caidin posted:

I've been playing this since last year and it's just been amazing watching it come together bit by bit but even now I still can't really say for sure if Hypnos is loving with me or not.

I habitually avoided Zeus boons for months since his poo poo never quite clicks outside his primary attack buff on Exagryph or maybe his cast, anyone had any good luck with him?

If you manage to get several of his boons, there's a cumulative cascade of damage that's pretty awesome. I once got dash lightning, the area expansion, lightning split, jolted and the duo that auto-procs lightning from a resting bloodstone. It was like a fireworks display.

These are great observations. I'll be curious to see if this is where they go. I wonder if the renovations are an indicator of this, or possibly vice-versa.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

dmboogie posted:

i am absolutely sure that underworld renovations is just a cheeky euphemism for early access

Some of that doesn't seem tied to EA. When Zag buys upgrades from the contractor, he and Hades refer to the work as renovations too.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Broken Cog posted:

I wish I could give Cerberus pats every time, but he seems to be missing a lot when you come back after reaching the fourth area.

Try exiting to your bedroom and then coming back to the main area. Sometimes characters rearrange and reappear when you leave once, including Cerberus. New dialogue can open too occasionally.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there a list of the things you get for giving ambrosia (I think that's what it's called) to people? Only got one from beating the boss of the 3rd area (and then went on to beat the game that go) and it was tough enough that I'm not sure when I'll get another.

Do people care about spoilers for stuff like this?

Ambrosia is used to get legendary keepsakes from a few NPCs after you have their relationship meter very high. There are other requirements to get it done too, but gifting the ambrosia gets the actual prize. So far there's one for Meg, Sisyphus, Thanatos and Skelly. You can also use ambrosia to level up these keepsakes after you get them. Lastly, you can continue to build the relationship meter and get the last parts of each NPC story using ambrosia. Nectar won't cut it after the first ambrosia.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Does anybody know where saves are stored to transfer them between the EGS and Steam versions?

Look in your Documents folder. Should be in Saved Games.

Stickman posted:

Is there any way to see the renovations I've already purchased? I've forgotten what the various "receive [run item] when you pick up [upgrade item]" renovations do.

I don't think they have a list anywhere, but you should be able to see when you're getting the bonus on a pickup. If you look in the little pop-up box when you're next to the item, it will show both the main item and bonus.

The upgrade item pickups are like so (room and boon rewards only):

Keys give bonus +1 Fated Authority
Nectar gives bonus level +1 to random boon (like a free Pom)
Gemstones give bonus coin (can't remember the amount - maybe +10?)
Darkness gives bonus +5 max health

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, it's good stuff. I shied away from Zeus for a while, but I've had consistently amazing runs focused on lightning and jolt when I've gone for it. Have you done a Zeus run with Chiron aspect on the bow? Oh my!

I love that really everything is viable and can feel powerful in this game. I also love how everybody (including me) has a concrete idea of what is definitely and obviously a 100% lock for the best weapons/boons/whatever that somehow is completely different than what other people think.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
A lot of people neglect to use cast initially, including me when I was first starting. This is a big mistake. Not only can your cast do a lot of direct damage on its own, it also gives a big passive damage boost after you've upgraded the mirror modestly.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

SlyFrog posted:

Final boss? I thought they had not put that in yet and you couldn't complete the game?

The game is essentially feature complete. All planned areas are in and the last boss is done. They are solidly in the polishing and tweaking phase phase of development. This is not to say they can't decide to add more, but what's there is generally going to be it. There are only a handful of major things they've said are still to come, including another weapon, aspects, legendary keepsakes, possibly another Olympian and then lore/story stuff.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Krazyface posted:

They've straight-up said they're adding another Olympian god.

That was my understanding too, but I was hedging my bets because I double checked the roadmap and it didn't sound as clear as I remembered.

Krazyface posted:

ed. So what do you do with ambrosia? I know you're supposed to give it to people, after you've already given them nectar a couple times, but I've never seen the option come up, and I'm getting tempted to start converting my stocks into prom blood.

You may not use them for a while, but I'd recommend holding onto them. They seem to be significantly harder to get hold of. I've currently got 65 titan's blood even after spending a good number (Hells yes prophecy list!). I have 4 diamonds after spending I'm sure over 30. But I've only got 7 ambrosia and I've spent 2 to get keepsakes.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Broken Cog posted:

Do you have a source on that all planned areas are in, because the "ending" to the game atm literally says "That's it, for now", "The hero's story will continue, but not right now", etc...

It's mostly just the game roadmap I've been going on, which has suggested 4 final biomes for as long as I can remember. The current roadmap says that their goal this year was to have the "full game structure in place (excluding aspects such as the end of the story)" and that they were successful getting there with 4 biomes listed as part of their accomplishments.

One of the devs also did address a question about this on the Steam forums just a couple of days ago. You can see the exchange here. It does confirm a new Olympian in the next update too.

EDIT: ^^^ What he said.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

srulz posted:

BTW, what is the best Boon to use for above Triple Bombs? I have been ignoring Special-based boons for so long now on other weapons that I'm absolutely clueless. Probably not Poseidon since knockback would knock enemies out of AOE of the 2nd/3rd bombs, and not Ares since it's flat damage aka not making full use of the huge base damage & doesn't stack.

I got my fastest clear to date the other day with the build you're talking about using Artemis. I love crit builds. I got triple bomb, rocket special, 30% special speed increase, and some other boons that combined well with these. It was pure havoc and everything died in seconds for the most part. My final clear time was just around 21 minutes and it was super fun.

Andrast posted:

I like the current run length and don't really want it to get longer. Would not mind alternate zones and bosses though.

This is where I am too. A complete run usually takes an hour or less, even when you're learning the ropes. That seems like exactly the sweet spot for a game built around repeat play like this.

Krazyface posted:

I think there's another Ares boon that does let you stack doom damage, FWIW

Yup, it's Dire Misfortune. You can get an extra 5-10 points damage per stack though, not full damage.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 19, 2019

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Broken Cog posted:

A question about a final boss attack:

At a certain point in phase 2, he will spawn green urns all over the arena, and soon after deploy an expanding ring that covers everything (like the skull effect only that it covers everything instead of 3/4ths). How do you avoid this attack?
I've just gotten used to either tanking it, or dodging it with some sort of immunity like some of the call effects, because he only seems to use it once or twice during a fight.

You just need to dash through it. Only the perimeter hurts you. The urns are mainly there to hold you in place if you get too close when they break.

Pwnstar posted:

It feels like bosses have way too much health, unless you get a crazy combo going I just feel like I'm chipping away and its not fun. Half the time when I get to the Bone Hydra or even the Medusa + Rock Guy fight and I'm not running super high damage I just want to quit because I know I've got a long boring fight ahead of me.

This is a reason why keepsake selection is such an important part of strategy. I always take a god to start that will force a boon with high damage potential.

Krazyface posted:

Some weird stuff going on with heat. In my current run, when I was choosing heat options at the start, I couldn't get any boss rewards to show up. That is, no matter how high I set the heat, the planning screen told me I already had won the special resources for beating each boss at that level. I know for a fact I haven't. Now that I've started playing (at heat level 1), there are no rewards coming through. Is this a known bug?

Wow never heard of that one. Definitely hit F10 in game to bring up the bug report screen for that.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Andrast posted:

I'm not super experienced yet but I have difficulty justifying picking anything except the pierced butterfly

The damage boost can be nice, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, you lose your damage boost if you eventually switch to a different keepsake. So it's fine if you'll be sticking with it, but otherwise it's just a temporary bump. I personally wouldn't take the extra damage at the expense of extra coin, a death defiance and a guaranteed killer boon over the course of the same run. My experience has been that with decent planning you'll almost always be doing good damage by the end of your run anyway (especially once your mirror is built up).

Tellaris posted:

...Still almost died when I ran into the boss satyr who spams needles at you and can chunk the poo poo out of you super fast.

I absolutely HATE those fuckers. Losing track of them and eating needles over and over is the worst. I'll deal with shield carriers all day over those assholes.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Stickman posted:

Doesn’t the extra coin keepsake take back the loan if you swap it out? I could have sworn that was the case when I tried it. Maybe if you end Tartarus with a pittance it’s okay?

Nope, you keep it. You definitely want to swap it out after one area though, since you get no additional benefit after getting the 200 coin.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Lekon posted:

Going to have to disagree with you on this. Sisyphus does a few important things. 1: it's instant. With two of the others there's a windup time where enemies can move out of the way. Bouldy just drops instantly for 1k of damage. 2: It also drops food, gold, and darkness, so it's one of the only ways to heal mid boss fight. 3: I can't stress how funny the voice lines get when you drop a several ton metaphor of a boulder onto various bosses.

Zag: Bouldy?
Sisyphus: BOULDY!
Thesus three seconds before death: What, a... a Boulder!?

I'm guessing he's talking about the first Sisyphus keepsake that increases damage from falling pillars, not the legendary.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So, can someone explain the Hera aspect of the bow a little for me? I took it for a spin last night and, like, I beat the run so that's great and all, but I don't think I fully understand how it works and the description isn't very clear in the first place.

I get that it changes your cast so that you kinda shoot the spell with the bow instead of what it normally does. But sometimes it seemed the spell fires when the arrow hit something, and sometimes it just seemed to do it in mid-flight. I also don't get if loading multiple spells into it actually does anything - late in the run I had 7 spell ammo from a combination of Artemis and Chaos boons, but putting 7 blood thingies in there didn't seem to do 7 times the damage, and the number of crystals on the enemy's health bar seemed to vary drastically when I did it, from 1 to 4 (but never 7). I'd say what happened most often was a single crystal would appear on their healthbar, and X seconds later they would drop a single one on the field, which would replenish my entire stock when picked up.

Hera aspect is very cool. Think about the implications of being able to simultaneously deliver all of your casts to a single location with great accuracy. Don't you think this might create some interesting possibilities for a god like... Oh I don't know... Ares?

SPOILER >>> LAST BOSS FIGHT: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mj6tn

Edit - To be clear, this is a gimmicky build and not one you could count on getting consistently, but it gives a good indication of what's possible with this aspect.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 20, 2019

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Well that's just the thing, like I said, when I tried smashing 7 bloodstones into a single arrow, I'm fairly certain the enemies I fired it at didn't take 7 spells worth of damage because I'm pretty sure that would've one-shot them. It was way more like a single cast. So how is it intended to work?

I could totally be wrong, but I think that it's done full damage for each bloodstone when I've used it. Can also depend on enemy type, armor, your boon and other things though if it you would get a one-shot/insta-kill, even with lots of casts.

I like Hera aspect and find it to be powerful if you get the right boons, but generally I'm much more into Chiron aspect. I always end up melting face with that aspect. Like almost 100% of the time.

EDIT:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It was Poseidon's cast. I'm mostly basing my estimation on how much a single bloodstone did (about half a health bar on the enemies I tested it on) as opposed to 7. I can understand if it was a little off because of not factoring in the base attack damage, but 7 times off is a bit too much for it to be a simple mistake. There's also that weird thing it did I mentioned where only a single bloodstone showed on the health bar of the enemy that it got embedded in, but when it popped out later I still recovered all casts by picking it up.

The Poseidon cast is probably why. The knockback pushes the enemy away and not all of the casts can hit simultaneously. Try it again with Athena or Artemis or somebody.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 20, 2019

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

speaking of bloodstones, does the extra damage when embedded in an enemy stack with multiple bloodstones? in other words, is it worth it to shoot all my bloodstones in one tough guy to get 150% bonus from 3, or would it only count the first 50% bonus and ignore any additional bloodstones?

I'm all but certain it doesn't stack.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, that sounds like a bug. You should hit F10 in game and report it.

Are you on EGS or Steam? I just tried this out and it seems to be working as intended for me with and without boons. Weird.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, I would assume. But I'm on EGS and can't reproduce that one, so who knows? :iiam:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
In the early going, when you still have very limited titan's blood, I think it's smart to open the aspects that are very effective without leveling them up. Hera aspect is fun and very effective without any upgrades at all. The drop time boost isn't that critical. Same for Poseidon aspect on the sword. I suppose getting a 50% damage boost on cast would be nice on a high heat run, but the main attraction is really dislodging the bloodstones. I absolutely LOVE the Chiron aspect for the bow. It's one of my favorites. But it really needs to be at the top level to bother with it. So I wouldn't advocate opening it unless you have 15 titan's blood you are comfortable spending. Playing in sniper mode with Hestia aspect for the rail is also awesome, but only worth it at max level.

Also, I think it's really worth pumping up the original aspects in some cases. It was very hard for me to go back to normal speed after playing a bunch with the 30% boost on Zagreus aspect for the sword. The shield and rail also are worth pumping up. Starting aspects are also comparatively cheap. Only 5 titan's blood to max out!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Lakitu7 posted:

This is really helpful for knowing where to spend the ones I have, but I'm confused how I'm ever going to have more than a handful of titan blood if they only drop once per weapon? I've read something about getting more as you increase difficulty after beating it once, but usually with these types of games I never get good enough to really do very difficult achievements so it seems very plausible that I'm only ever going to have these five, plus maybe five more as I manage to hopefully beat the game and get through the first boss once with each weapon in + mode. How the heck do people have 15, 20+ titan's blood, ever?

Yes, once you beat the game, it opens up the Pact of Punishment. This is a big list of custom difficulty modifiers that you can pick from. Everything you choose on the list gives you Heat points. Every time you raise the Heat on your run by one point, it gives you the big boss drops again. This is done for each weapon in the game. So by going through and doing runs that are just a little harder every time, you'll continue to accumulate blood. Also, make sure you get to work on the Fated List of Minor Prophecies in your room when you get the opportunity. They're basically there to incentivize trying new things. Some of them will give big payouts of titan's blood and other boss drops too. Right now, I've got somewhere around 78 titan's blood from doing runs with increasing Heat and clearing some of the larger prophesies. To be clear, my total is that high because I've held off on unlocking a lot of the weapon aspects. I don't want to dump all my blood before knowing what the last weapon and other aspects are going to be.

As for your concern that you're not going to be able to clear the game on progressive difficulties... Don't stress about it. You'll be surprised at how far you'll come. I am really not very good at games. It took a bunch of tries for me to get a full clear including the final boss, but now I rarely wash out and I've been able to do runs up to about 9 Heat so far. When you get the mirror maxed out and get your head wrapped around the build strategies, you'll get clears a lot more consistently than you'd imagine. This is not a Souls game. Supergiant wants people to beat their games. The baseline difficulty is designed to where most players will be able to get a clear after awhile and the difficulty increases in the ways that you want it to from there.

Edit - Also, it's really fine if you never touch the other weapon aspects. That's really all technically end game content for people who want to keep playing after beating it. Some of them are really fun, but none of it is mandatory to have a good time. The initial difficulty is really built around the starter builds.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 21, 2019

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Any idea what the missing monster from this list is? (Spoilered just in case, but it's not really a big spoiler). I've done 50+ runs by now and whatever it is just has never popped up. From where it is in the list I assume it's in the last area, but I have no idea what it could be or why it isn't spawning.

Yeah, it's the Dire Snakestone. It's one of the Styx mid-bosses.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

... I've cleared NG and NG+ with all weapons except the Spear. What Aspect should I be unlocking for the Spear?

I like Achilles. The post-rush damage bonus is nice, but you can also retrieve the same way as the original aspect by pressing the attack button instead of special. This is super good design because one of the best parts of the spear for me is utility against shield carriers. Plus, I favor Artemis for the spear's special because I want crits on return.

I haven't messed with Hades aspect much, but it seems good too. I just don't use the charge-spin enough to be worth it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Seriously, spec around the special. It can be very good. I like the hammer upgrade for exploding spear a lot too, even though it takes away the backstab capability.

EDIT - Oops, didn't see you said Hades aspect specifically. I'll leave my comment as general advice for anyone who isn't feeling the spear.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 22, 2019

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Artelier posted:

in case you guys are unaware, give up isn't "eat a loss", give up is "reset to just before you start the run, with the same room order, boons offered, etc"

so alt+f4 is to reset the latest room you're in, and give up is to start the run with the same seed, so to speak

oh and quit is "we auto saved so you can just leave now and come back to this exact spot"

This might have changed, but I think Alt-F4 is disabled at most times in a run. You used to be able to shortcut to desktop while picking a boon/upgrade and then go back and get a different one if you didn't like it. I'm pretty sure they changed any exit from a run beyond using "Quit" in the menu to dump you back at the house for this reason.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 4, 2020

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I'm wondering if they may enable a way in the menu to quit and take the loss after they reach full release. I know they're looking at player data on runs for the purpose of balancing difficulty and whatnot. I can see the advantage of being able to force people to play with sub-optimal builds and less favored boons with the current setup. A lot of folks would just quit and restart repeatedly until they got a hammer in room 1 if given the option.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 4, 2020

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

alansmithee posted:

...edit-and as for Achilles spear, I've not messed with it too much but I'm not the biggest fan because it takes away the safe range attack aspect of the special. It does add a bunch of mobility however, but I'm not sure if that tradeoff is worth it.

If I'm reading you right, this is incorrect. When using Achilles aspect, after throwing the spear, you can do the new Raging Rush with the special button or you can use the original retrieval with the attack button. So you can keep using both situationally. I tend to build around backstabs using the spear, so Zagreus aspect works fine for me, but the bonus damage from Achilles aspect is very strong and it's super nice to have new mobility options too.

Ciaphas posted:

i blew like six titan blood into the gun's default aspect before I realized it was limited and could unlock other aspects :(

(e) Are edits just not taking the first time for anyone else? :mad:

Yeah, that's a bit of a bummer, but maxing the original aspect of each weapon is relatively cheap and useful in the long run. Zag aspect for the rail is great. The price of the other aspects can be seriously painful though.

VVVV - Reminder that this is an option if you want to test out an aspect before blowing all of your blood or if you regret a purchase:

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You can game the save system to test aspects like this, at least on my EGS version. Just unlock and try an aspect out, then quit to the main menu without leaving the room. The game saves on transitions between rooms in the house, so on loading you'll be back in the training room with all your Titans blood intact. You can actually even start a run and try it out, as long as you quit while a boon selection is up on screen. You'll know it's going to work if you see in the menu that it says Give Up instead of Quit. The game saves each run as an instance, so your main save doesn't get updated with any progress you make until you either die or exit the last level.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Messing around some more with maxed Hestia aspect on the rail. Artemis on attack. One shot, one kill. Feels good.

Then I got Battle Rage from Ares and Explosive Fire from a hammer. Fuuuuuuuuck. :black101:

God drat that was fun. I think this is in the running for my new favorite aspect.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Ciaphas posted:

You're invuln during dashes? I felt like I was getting nailed by projectiles early on mid-dash, so I started using it only away from the danger

Yes. Using the dash invulnerability to avoid damage is the single most important skill to develop when you're learning the game. Always be dashing.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

LifeLynx posted:

I can't get a hang of the sword special. It seems both too slow and deceptively too short range to reliably dislodge the casts. I did get this combo going once where I had 200 damage on cast dislodging, which would have been nice if I could have landed specials.

They nerfed the poo poo out of the sword special. It used to be my favorite weapon because of how broken it was, but not any more. Previously, the hammer upgrade that lets the special hit twice had full width. Plus there were tons of I-frames in the special. With Athena's upgrade to deflect on special and a speed boost from Hermes, you could spam special fast enough that almost nothing could get through. I literally didn't move on the last boss once and almost didn't get hit the whole time (except the lasers, obviously). It was ridiculous and super fun. So I know why they made the changes they did, but it seriously wrecked the overall strength and fun factor of the sword just to disrupt one overpowered gimmick. It sucks. Poseidon aspect is fun though.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 5, 2020

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Pollyanna posted:

Do enemies marked with the bloodstone always take extra damage, or is that only with certain skills?

It's supposed to be an overall percent damage increase. However, I just saw a couple of people posting somewhere else that they're getting some kind of bug with bloodstone damage where they only get the boost if all fired stones are in the same enemy.

I haven't confirmed this personally, but it's a current conversation.

EDIT - I just tested and it's working as intended for me. So if it's bugged, it doesn't look like it's universal.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 5, 2020

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Disgusting Coward posted:

Man that fuckin' hydra really is just a fuckin' too-long slog of a fight huh. Not even hard, just sooooooooooo fuuuuuckinnnnggg teeeeedious.

I used to feel this way too. The hydra is the reason I started taking an Olympian keepsake to force a high damage producing boon at the very start of a run. This has since become my go-to strategy at all times. It's just so nice to be able to start doing substantial damage immediately and keep improving from there. Turns out the only time I hate fighting the hydra is when I have to kill him with chip damage. That sucks hard, but it almost never happens now.

Internet Kraken posted:

Question: Do trinkets like the pierced butterfly and feather that give you stats for clearing rooms lose their effect if you take them off?

Yes, you lose the bonus when you switch to another keepsake. It's a big bummer and the only reason I never use them anymore.

Motherfucker posted:

his trinket sucks and he sucks though.

Interesting take, Motherfucker.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I usually use the coin purse during the run, but never at the start. I need that sweet sweet damage. The extra coin can be used any time.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Fated Authority doesn't even work for shops and other special rooms like main bosses.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Unlocking the Meg summon has been the worst. I got the other two in a flash, but for some reason it made me do like 27 conversations with her when the patch dropped, even though I had her hearts maxed out. Still got 10 more to go, but she doesn't show half the time.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure she can show up without being the Fury du jour. Seems to be more common though. I almost exclusively run with Extreme Measure on the PoP now and I think that may help.