Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

I stopped a while ago after noticing plot-talk weirdness after a content patch. I had a lot of grind unlocked, so I have to ask: Is the proper way to play to restart a new save file, and/or what does Hell Mode do now?

I would honestly recommend starting a new run. To get the real for-true ending you need to finish the game multiple times anyway and having fresh stuff to unlock helps make that feel less grindy.

For those asking about the Switch port: It's perfect about 90% of the time but you do see slowdown in bullet hell situations. It absolutely wasn't enough to really bother me but if you're worried about slowdown go for the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I started a fresh save and beat it on my 5th attempt.

Holy crap do you miss a /ton/ of plot that you're supposed to get from dieing a whole ton of times.

I'm pretty sure that is why you unlock the Pacts so early so you can pump up the difficulty quickly after your first attempt and see that dialogue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My personal favorite is Charon-aspected Bow

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

If you aren't doing a dodge run its this or a purse as you get further and save skelly for the end. Not just smart, but pretty much the only move.

I tend to prefer Persephone's instead because getting a free rando-pom every three rooms really adds up if you start early.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I think I made a mistake spreading the Titan Blood around instead of focusing on one weapon to improve. Since now I'm not getting anymore. I'm also only handing out Nectar to those I haven't given any to yet to collect the keepsakes.

Currently working now the Elysium boss. Might get it on the next run now that I've got another additional death defiance.

I wouldn't stress about that. Once you finish your first run you'll get ways to get a lot more Titan Blood fairly easily.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bow is awesome, but you can't sleep on its Special which is effectively a short-range shotgun in its normal aspect. You can apply a ton of damage very quickly with it if you're comfortable getting up close or plink from a distance. Its two regular Aspects are also incredibly strong while also being tremendously safe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I just unlocked the gun and boy does pressing in the right stick feel awful for reloading. I don't think there is an option to rebind it either.

There is on Switch and PC both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kobogartimer posted:

My most successful bow runs have all been Hera with Dionysus' cast which sucks when you have to throw it, but is awesome when it just makes your arrows have huge damage explosions that stun monsters. It doesn't stick into your targets so the level of the aspect doesn't matter.

I usually will go for Poseidon or Dionysus depending, though I had one run where Ares was absolutely cartoonishly good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Surprised they still haven’t addressed Pom rooms being worthless and not buffing the patrocles choices that aren’t the obvious best one.

I'm not really clear on what the obvious best Patrocles choice is TBH. If I get to him with a DD missing I'll obviously grab the first, but if I have all my DDs (which happens more regularly the more you play) I'll either go for Attack if I'm healthy or Health if I'm not, either of which is a nice boon before going into the boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The nice thing about the weapons is that for most of them it is entirely possible to prioritize either the Attack or the Special on most aspects which really gives you a lot of flexibility depending on what you want to do.

The Shield's Special is a little weak but I think they really want you to be using Bull Charge which I just can't make much use of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Who has the keepsake between the Black Shawl and the Bone Hourglass? I think I'm missing a dude somewhere. (There's one at the end too but I'm assuming it's story related)

That is from Thanatos. If you haven't encountered them yet just keep playing and they'll show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

The Bow doesn’t seem that great TBH.

The trick with the Bow is that you want to treat its Special like a shotgun. Get up close and unload into someone's face for massive damage or plink away from a distance to wear them down so you can comfortably do that.

However its different Aspects are fairly significantly different and really improve its overall power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Lol ok maybe I was just using it wrong then! I’ll have to try it again

A lot of the weapons take getting used to. The Bow was actually my least favorite weapon for a long time but now it's one of my favorites. My least favorite is probably the shield TBH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

Shield feels bad to use because its attacks look repetitive but you can special from melee range without any problem so it's actually ok imo and the knockback on attack does a lot more work than it looks at first. Sword's got a great special and shouldn't see the third attack in the sword combo often if you're using nemesis. Spear has a god awful special which is very bad for Privileged Status builds which is why i hate it.

Honestly if you get some upgrades into it the spear special can be really effective. It's excellent at room clearing which is really all it needs to be since the spear itself is fine for single target.

The special I had the hardest time using is the Rail's Lucifer aspect. It feels way way too finnicky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

God drat I had this great spear throw build to beat up Theseus and nearly got him but I died. I don't know how one poster itt escaped in 16 tries.

E: actually I took the charged throw upgrade and discovered that was a mistake.

Honestly once you get a level or two of Death Defiance under your belt it becomes a lot easier to do a base clear. Especially if you get Skelly's Keepsake. Once you have the freedom to die once or twice you'll have a much much easier time clearing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

There's some niche uses of the other ones.

Regenerating casts is pretty good for some casts (Demeter and Ares are prime examples) because you don't have to go collect them and spamming is pretty nice.

The revival per room is good if you're maxing out healing penalty on the Pact because you can die once per room to get health back.

The duo boons+ is good if you're hunting for a specific duo.

I think the only ones I think absolutely suck unless you want to punish yourself are the bonus damage dash, the bonus damage at high health, and more chances at reward rooms?

The bonus damage dash is amazing. You get +50% damage *and* dodge chance on a near-dodge which if you're already running a dodge build (like fists) effectively renders you untouchable while also insanely increasing your damage output.

Bonus damage at high health isn't bad if you're running Guan Yi because your health there is so nerfed that Guan Yi's healing can pretty easily get you above 80% and the bonus 50 life is already heavily nerfed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Dodge chance is lame when you can just avoid the attack entirely because you have better ways to reposition? If you really take it over 3 dashes all the time props to you I guess.

You are pretty wrong on this as dodge chance is arguably the most broken thing in the game. When you stack it you don't need to reposition because you can effectively just tank attacks with no risk as long as you occasionally press dodge. I killed Extreme 4 without taking damage using that build.

You also can just get extra dashes from Hermes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Switch performance is good. You get a slowdown if there's a ton of stuff on screen in handheld mode but it picks back up equally quickly, so it's worth the trade off when on the go imo. In docked mode it runs flawlessly.

Hades is kind of like Binding of Isaac in that it is a lot of fun to play in a console/PC setting but having it on the go so you can play a bit before bed or whatever is extremely excellent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can also just zoom ahead to Heat 16 or 32 for the statues if you want as well. It's not super necessary but it's not bad if you just want to get them out of the way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

If I've unlocked all of the Mirror slots and all of the weapons, do I need keys for anything else or can I start trading them in for Nectar/Gems/Blood?

There are some cosmetic things that need keys but you can worry about that down the line and keys are plentiful.

Honestly the only thing I'd try to avoid trading in are diamonds since they are kind of a pain to get compared to the other stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Besides Heightened Security being a, hah, trap, are there any others to be especially wary of?

The "give away one boon" one is severely lessened by having the ability to reroll. The biggest risk there is getting RNG'd for three of your most useful scrolls but if you can reroll you can almost assure you'll get something you can drop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

(I probably don't need to tag some of the stuff I am tagging but I like to be safe)

So without going into into it (I haven't beat Hades himself yet, is there a way to get more titan blood, diamonds, and ambrosia after the bounties have been exhausted for them?

Two options:

There is a shopkeeper in the Lounge who lets you trade one resource for another. Gemstones, Keys and Necter can eventually be used for higher end stuff. After every run he also has a "special" which often lets you trade a lower resource for a much higher one.
Two: Beat the boss you mentioned and you'll unlock a thing that lets you reset bounties for a difficulty increase.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I've never given Aries or Dionysius a present so next run I'm going to be less build focused and just try to get them to pop up. I haven't seen either forever outside of a shop.

You'll see them pop up eventually. The game has some sort of weighting system where it basically determines around 2-3 gods which are going to show up more than anything else and the trinkets you get from the gods let you basically cheat that for at least one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jossar posted:

Honestly I never found the trap one to be that annoying so I guess my advice is kind of off kilter, but...

Approval Process is just not fun, because it limits your ability to pick boons. Contrarily though, Underworld Customs isn't that bad because you'll usually have some flab that you can afford to trim after a floor and you get the money from selling the boons anyway.

If you find you're struggling with the final boss, Calisthenics Program is a little bit of a trap because it works on them too. Enjoy your 15/30% enemy HP boost.

A lot of others are annoying but I can't say 100% get rid of them because they might eventually be necessary, but by the time you get to high heat you'll have already figured out what your own endgame should look like.

Approval Process and Underworld Customs both have the same thing for me where a lot of their biggest risks are negated by having the ability to reroll, especially if you have the upgrades where keys give you more rerolls. You can still miss out on something but having the chance to reroll your 2 choices or to swap out a bad set of three really makes it way less painful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I just want us to get a DLC so we can see Hera because I really want to see their version of her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I need Hera, I need them to work in Hephaestus somehow. Where is my boy Apollo? Can we get some Hercules up in here as an alternate boss in Elysium? Maybe some other mythical greek monster as an alternative boss for the hydra?

I kinda just want them to keep working on the game.

Just give us a game mode starring Dusa where it inexplicably changes into a bullet hell shooting game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I should note that the game has one more ending even after the True Ending.

It involves reuniting the Greek Gods and finishing the myth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

It's good but I worry about the time limit pact. I can get out of Elysium often around 21-22 minutes if I'm quick, but most of my runs are 31-36 minutes as I tend to go slow. Maybe pausing more would help while I try and make decisions.

Sword with Poseidon aspect and a cast build is my go to. Force artemis cast and try and grab extra special damage + exit wounds if possible.

Once you get further in you'll go faster just due to experience. I used the 7 minute one for my 32 pact run and had 14 minutes to spare by the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My lineup would be Fists > Bow > Spear > Railgun > Sword > Shield

Fists would be lower if not for the EZmode dodge build, Railgun has enough flexibility to overcome its general weaknesses, shield just feels underpowered at the moment.

Megasabin posted:

Man, Alecto with extreme measures 1 on consistently gives me a lot of trouble. The other two are easy. I don't know what makes her so hard, but I always end up taking too much damage and sometimes even losing a life. I find her more challenging than the hydra & O&S.

The Hydra is absolutely the easiest of the Extreme Measures. It's harder than the original version but honestly only barely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think to really get benefit out of it you need to be at least 40 heat. That was about the first place where I wasn't running into getting to the final boss with at least two lives remaining. If you're willing to sideline Extreme 4 you can probably push it even longer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Lol I don’t think 40 Heat is going to be the first time that the vast majority of players will find the game hard enough to justify SD.

Well, at least for me, it was the fact that you get 3 DDs, plus potentially one for Skelly's tooth, and if you lose any before the third zone you have a reasonably good chance of refilling them (not to mention Athena boons and Shops). That's a whole ton of lives especially if you're avoiding some of the big heat-gaining selections.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

minya posted:

Yeah, but Supergiant hasn’t released DLC for any of their previous games.

In a sense, admirable, because each game they release is a completely self-contained, fully realized world.

But Hades lends itself to DLC far more than any of their past work so I hope they break that streak for this one.

They released the Stranger's Dream DLC for Bastion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

minya posted:

Oh yeah true. That didn't include anything besides the lamp thing that let you do that self-contained enemy fight, right? Can't remember what it included.

It had some extra voiced stuff/details about Rucks but otherwise yeah it was basically self-contained.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

everyone has their ceiling. i cleared dead cells at release in like 4 runs and this game on run 15, but 2 boss cells broke me in half and i'm getting the sweats at the thought of dealing with 10+ heat

I think 10+ heat will feel less stressful than 2 boss cells because you can customize the difficulty more so you can pick what does and doesn't work for you. I know a lot of it looks intimidating but honestly if you just think about what you don't want to face you can make it a lot less painful.

(Personally I went for the Extreme Measures because while "boss is harder" sounds scary you get a ton of free heat for something that only comes up at the end of each area.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Is it important to buy the music stand for story / character reasons?

Honestly you should buy anything that unlocks stuff just because sometimes it will trigger things and why not have it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I have to say Hades spear works the best for me. It isn't hard to get a charge off and once you do you're dealing out cartoonish amounts of damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For the Railgun I ended up liking Dionysus on attack. It fires so quickly it stacks max poison stacks and once you get some upgrades going you can basically just make enemies melt with minimal risk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

oh that's the unlock condition? that's... weirdly metagame-y

(edit) which I guess the rest of the game does to a near-as-damnit fault; well, there's the fault lol

It's not the only unlock condition. It's just that The only person to know his name is Achilles, who is also the one writing the Codex entries. As long as you get his name somehow you can advance it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I havent gotten very far (one win) but I would love a DLC/expansion with the same basic concept and gameplay but a newish cast. Either storming Olympus as a mortal/demigod hero (because holy gently caress the ambient dialogue the gods have sometimes makes me feel like this is a hell world) or the opposite of current game, trying to break into the underworld to rescue a loved one or something.

I dont think I'd like an extension of Zag's story tho. From everything I have been spoiled on, it seems they did well to finish it.

The story of the Greek Gods is not precisely a hellworld but it is a place where it takes very effort for an all-powerful deity to curse you and your entire bloodline for eternity when they aren't trying to gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean I know a lot about greek myth, but Hades in particular seems to have gone a particularly dark route what with Artemis talking to me about how maybe Zag will be able to help her convince demeter to end the endless winter that is killing all the humans/good things to hunt, while Demeter chimes in with a 'they deserve everything I do to them'

That's what happened in the myth as well though. The world was trapped in an endless winter because of her anger and despair, which is why they eventually had to find a way to bring Persephone back without fully pissing off either Hades or Demeter.