Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Oxxidation posted:

they’re bored and helping Zagreus makes Hades miserable, which is always a hoot

It also comes up I think in a conversation with chaos: they don't realize you're looking for Persephone, they think you just want to join the big God party on Olympus or something. Zag says something along the lines of "I'll tell them once I get there" and for now he lets them believe what they want. So the gods have different motives then we do, which will probably come up in the last area(s) endgame.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

gandlethorpe posted:

Ugh, what is with runs occasionally having atrocious boon distributions, and can anything be done about them (if you don't have rerolls)? I just wanted to do a lightning gas cloud bow build. My offers were almost exclusively Dionysus and Ares, who have almost no synergy. Does picking a god's boon make them way more likely to appear later on, at the expense of the other gods?

It definitely nudges things the more boons you get. If I take variety I tend to keep seeing a range, if I keep homing on one or two it seems to give you that chance to go deeper into the tree for the combo skills. Remember you can change trinkets between biomes to force a noon. Also those two combo real good if you get blade cast into poison, full degen build. Slap doom on something and it's real easy to get the 50% damage boost for two debuffs on an enemy, which makes doom do like 300 to 400 when it hits, and your poison tock for 80 to 100 every half second. More if you get the delay skill which adds ~70%.

quote:

Whaaaaat that’s the best one. At max level it’s a +60% damage boost just for standing in the explosive radius of your special. It’s trivial to maintain and boosts the absurd damage of special stacking even higher.

Yeah it's important that unlike other weapons, that is a boost to ALL damage, not just your attack. So poison, blade rift, casts, etc. It can get out of hand quickly, it's so good.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 21, 2019

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
The advantage Hera's bow has is twofold. One is you can stack the casts for a burst that you can't do with regular casts without the Hermes speed buff, and you can prep it while dodging and fire it off much quicker than the cast animation.

The second is more subtle, but the casts only deploy once the arrow hits the target. That means for things like Ares blade rifts they travel directly to the target and then start spinning, which lets you rift people from a greater distance.

The sword damage boost is definitely nice, and that plus being able to special to get them back is stronger than the reduced timer the bow gets. Unless the safety of the bow is part of it, I think they could use a little something to make them stand apart, right now they kind of occupy the same niche.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 23, 2019

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Chin Strap posted:

Does the "Any obols you find are worth more" bonus count for standard mob coin drops too?

If it reads "chamber rewards" than no, if it says "all obols worth more" than yes. I think both varieties exist from different sources but don't remember off the top of my head.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Dias posted:

I was running a mostly poison (but Cast is still ridic burst) build with a Chaos Shield and it was going well until the game crashed on the Elysium boss fight. Ugh.

The game usually autosaves, you should be able to restart there or one room back.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

bamhand posted:

It's barely any more damage than the other weapons. And if you're gonna go big base damage then you can just go Guan Yu. Not having a ranged attack suuuucks in this game. Like what are you even supposed to do against mass +40% speed mini chariots?

Dash across obstacles! When they're that fast even some of the longer ranged weapons aren't enough to keep them at bay when it's those levels that spawns them and nothing else.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
If they follow the symmetry I place bets on a ranged weapon, and since you see echoes of Bastion design in all the weapons I'm guessing some thing that lets you stay mobile like the repeaters.

What I WANT though is something that explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Wafflecopper posted:

What I want to know is how the ancients came up with all these bizarre stories and characters and how they became to be widely accepted over an area the size of Greece. Did they really believe all of it or was it more like a cross between religion and Aesop's fables where maybe they believed in the gods but the individual stories were more like metaphor and allegory?

They definitely believed it. Everyone else did a great job talking about the origins and variety show of stories across regions. To your question, most primary sources have people actively worshipping or making sacrifices to heroes and gods on a regular basis, whether rural or cosmopolitan. The existence and reality if the gods was just a fact, not just half stories and fables. Your example of Aesop's fables is a great counter example of something from the time period that is treated as metaphor, not "reality."