Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
There's a hidden splash image of the upcoming deity in a gameplay trailer that Supergiant released recently:

You can see the relevant portion of the trailer here. Given the cornucopia it's probably Demeter, Goddess of agriculture and mother of Persephone. Hestia and Hera are also possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

gandlethorpe posted:

Am I missing something, or are most of the bow Daedalus upgrades pretty meh? I've tried several of the attack modifiers, and none stick out to me as that powerful or opening up crazy synergies. The triple shot was especially awkward and disappointing.

Hera bow is pretty cool though.

When I use the bow I typically go with the Hera aspect, which means that your arrows' direct damage is less important and are primarily a means to deliver Cast projectiles. So I'll try to grab Ares's "Doom on Special" upgrade, which is great when coupled with the Daedalus upgrades that buff your Special. More arrows + piercing arrows means that every Special cast should apply Doom to every enemy in LOS.

Your target priority typically becomes a question of "What's the biggest enemy on screen that I can one-shot with my main attack's Cast burst, while my stream of Dooms weakens the really beefy enemies and clears out the chaff?"

Magitek fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 20, 2019

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Well that's just the thing, like I said, when I tried smashing 7 bloodstones into a single arrow, I'm fairly certain the enemies I fired it at didn't take 7 spells worth of damage because I'm pretty sure that would've one-shot them. It was way more like a single cast. So how is it intended to work?

Maybe it's bugged with whatever boon you were using that transformed your Cast projectiles? When I've used it the amount of burst damage is very high, but that's when using Cast transforms from Artemis or Athena or Aphrodite. It probably doesn't interact too well with Ares's spinny blades, for example.

It's also possible that it just wasn't enough damage to one-shot your targets. Some of the enemies in Elysium for example have a lot of HP, and if you don't have multiple upgrades for your Cast it might just not be enough oomph. 50 base damage is a lot early on but pales in the later two biomes.

edit: Yeah, I've noticed the bug that causes multiple Cast gems from the Hera bow to be labeled as a single gem on the enemy and then again when you retrieve it from the corpse. The amount of damage it actually does doesn't seem to be adversely affected, in my experience.

edit2: I'll bet it's specifically a bug with Poseidon's cast. The special bonus his projectiles provide is their knockback potential, and when you hit with a Cast-infused Hera arrow it's technically multiple casts going off a split-second after one another (which is why it's possible to one-shot Armor-protected enemies with a single infused arrow). My guess is that the first Cast projectile immediately knocked the target out of range of the 6 follow-up explosions.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 20, 2019

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Broken Cog posted:

Playing around with this some more, one thing that's really been irking me is how much invulnerability stuff the bosses get. It's not uncommon to pop off a Zeus Call or something and whoops, the boss just entered an invulnerability phase, seems like you're about to waste half of it.
I know it's gated by boss health thresholds, but still. It's annoying having to keep track off.

I think it’s a band-aid to fix some of the boss scripting. It used to be pretty easy to skip boss phases entirely with some well-timed burst damage, especially on the Hydra.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

achillesforever6 posted:

I will say with regards to the story, kind of refreshing to have a greek mythology story where the gods aren't totally unlikable assholes

...yet. This game is like Gilligan’s Isle — we all know he’s going to be stuck here after every run. There’s a lot of different ways the story could arrive at him failing to achieve his goals every time

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

kaschei posted:

What exactly does getting hit with Boiling Blood do? Other than make more skulls pop out of you?

Boiling Blood is the name of your mirror upgrade that increases all damage you inflict on targets that have a Cast projectile stuck in them. I assume that it benefits Dad the same way, increasing any damage he inflicts upon you.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Yeah, dashing is huge. One of the mirror upgrades gives you a backstab bonus, which is the game’s way of suggesting “You should probably be doing this a lot.” Dash through the enemy as they perform their attack, then hit them in the back until they die. You can stagger-lock most unarmored enemies, which is what allows an aggressive melee play style to really succeed.

To get acclimated to melee in this game, I’d probably suggest starting with the Shield and using the Rose keepsake to guarantee a boon from Aphrodite early on. The shield grants almost complete invulnerability from frontal attacks while powering up or delivering the charge attack, which allows you to safely observe the enemy melee animation timings. The Rose gives you easy access to the Weak debuff, which dramatically improves your overall durability and lowers the stakes from taking a hit. Aphrodite’s boons greatly improve your direct damage, as a bonus.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The red flag I first noticed is that it's both snowing and Persephone is away from the underworld. It should be one or the other -- the original myth explained the existence of seasons, as no plants could grow during the months she was away from the fields and forests. If she's not stuck with Hades, why isn't she doing her thing?

It's also weird that in her farewell letter, Persephone mentions Cerberus but not her son Zagreus.

edit: If the new Olympian next patch ends up being Demeter as the preview silhouette suggests, she might shed some light on the subject. She's Persephone's mother, after all.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 1, 2020

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Extreme Measures is an easy 5 heat, IMO. The extra mechanics that they add to the boss encounters aren’t too difficult, and they probably make Theseus easier overall (although his buddy is definitely a bit harder)

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The trick with both Shieldbearers and the large chariots is to take advantage of their long dormant periods after their attacks. The shield guys will literally stand there motionless for ~3 seconds after doing one of their attacks, so bait them and then dash to their rear and hit them repeatedly. With the large chariots, you need to bait them into hitting an object. Just dash over one of the gaps in the floor or through a pillar, then use the time they stand there motionless to turn them into glue.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

kaschei posted:

I think a reliable source of Weak is your best bet when you’re learning his patterns. It also makes the whole game more forgiving. Smartly using an invulnerable aid when you recognize you’re in a bad position has been a rewarding thing for me to focus on.

Yep, no question on this

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

ILL Machina posted:

Is Children of Morta like this?

Yes. However Hades is significantly better in terms of raw gameplay, IMO.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

bamhand posted:

Honestly the increase in difficulty for extreme measures is probably the smallest for Theseus, Hydra probably gets the biggest increase in difficulty.

Theseus himself actually becomes easier IMO, since none of his attacks specifically target the player. Asterius is more difficult, but not dramatically so.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Captain Lavender posted:

You have to sacrifice a boon at the end of each area, but I've found, I almost always have a boon that isn't critical, and I get paid to give it up.

Oh poo poo, that punishment just forces you to sell a boon? That’s barely a hassle. Definitely going to be my next choice to crank up Heat

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Yep, Hestia is actually amazing when upgraded and the lack of auto-aim isn’t a big deal with M+KB. You never have to stop moving or get close to the enemy, and your burst damage is solid. The best hammer upgrades for it IMO are the piercing shot + right-click circle snare. Your left click pierces through enemies and their shields, while the snare is so potent that it brings enemies to a near standstill and makes it easy to set up angles that produce multiple kills with each shot.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
My money is on either a fast-attack dual wield weapon, or a slow ranged elemental weapon that focuses on area denial and/or persistent damage effects.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

jjac posted:

The Transistor, complete with Turn() mechanics.

I want it

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

kaschei posted:

Patch Notes actually broke it down somewhat:

Seeker Satyrs are dicks.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I really like to “drive by” dash attacks with the sword: Dash in a direction parallel to your target’s position while spamming attack towards your target repeatedly. With the right upgrades it’s a ton of damage and the movement pattern keeps you very safe against most foes.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ragnar34 posted:

Theseus is a stupid dead bastard and I want Asterius to help me beat him up just once, or at least sit back and have a cigarette while l show Theseus the ground.

There’s actually a custom pre-battle conversation if you’re using abilities that can charm. Paraphrasing:

Theseus: Careful, Asterius! This foul demon will attempt to corrupt our bonds of fraternity!

Zagreus: What? No, I’m not here to ruin your friendship. Although honestly Asterius, I don’t know how you can stand this guy...

Theseus: See?! He’s doing it already!

This game has thought of everything

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Arzaac posted:

I love Ares for the blade rifts, but doom really needs a rework. Fast weapons hate it because it doesn't proc fast enough, and slow weapons would rather have a percentage boon to capitalize on their massive base damage. I feel like it's only good on like, low damage AoE options. So like, Bow Secondary or Gun Secondary maybe? I don't know, it's basically my last pick every time.

Yeah, it’s very good for Bow Secondary but that’s pretty much it

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Sindai posted:

I wondered if Charon's fight is easier if you encounter it in the very first shop you see.

The answer is: it is not.

Hypnos and Hades have some good lines about it though.

I just discovered this too! Didn’t quite end my run, but Patroclus’s “restore all charges of Death’s Defiance” option was definitely chosen when I ran into him later

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Caidin posted:

This 5 seconds of alpha strike boon that Uncle Popo keeps offering sounds really useless considering how big some rooms are and the way boss fights work? I guess if your really gunning for every tick of the Hermes keepsake it might help.

Yep, it's awful. It should be 5 seconds from the moment you first attack, so you can plan out your target prioritization and budget your attacks for that window.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

No Wave posted:

For the mirror - I go all red but am thinking about Golden Touch and Dark Foresight. Thoughts? I wasn't blown away by Dark Foresight when I used it and golden touch seemed much worse than I thought it would be (gold in act 4 isn't worth a whole lot after the first 500 or so).

Fated Persuasion is much better than Fated Authority in my experience. Being able to reroll the boons offered by a specific god or the Well of Charon vendor is going to result in a positive outcome pretty reliably.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Kellanved posted:

Extreme Measures 4 is absolutely wild.

I was expecting a lot of things... I was not expecting that.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Do the Fists get better with a certain Aspect? I stopped playing Early Access before they were added. I just unlocked them and they sure feel awful with no aspect!

The Talos aspect is a lot of fun. You can yank the great majority of enemies right next to you for easy pickings, and the extra 40% damage at max rank is excellent against any target.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So apparently when I did Extreme Measures 4 shortly after 1.0’s release, it was either bugged or in beta and making things super crazy. The phase was literally pitch black the first couple times I fought him. I couldn’t see Zagreus or Hades unless I was near certain edges of the arena, specifically the NW corner and the moonlit water reflection to the NE. Standing there would cause the entire arena to temporarily light up, giving you an idea of where the trap jars and shockwave skulls were so you could either avoid or kill them once you delved into the darkness.

The best location indicators were little shader effects. Even in the darkness you could see the white circular outlines that telegraphed Hades’s spear spin and the red or green glow that surrounded skulls/jars while they were in flight or being summoned.

It’s a minor miracle I was able to beat that incarnation of the fight. I’m glad it was fixed/changed because although it was a very cool novelty, success required such a conservative strategy that it quickly would have grown tedious on subsequent kills.

Separately,

Sab Sabbington posted:

If you don't say thank you to The Good Shade after you beat Theseus up and just leave the room first you are Not a Nice Person and deserve to lose the run. Be there for your Day 1s.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 21, 2020

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ciaphas posted:

Besides Heightened Security being a, hah, trap, are there any others to be especially wary of?

The pact effect that gives all enemies “blue” shields that absorb the first 1-2 hits is very weapon dependent, as you might imagine. Using Excalibur/Hestia gun with a Crit build? It will absolutely ruin you. Chiron bow with dots or Fists with lightning? You won’t even notice.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

JBP posted:

I'm finding this game really hard with the sword. I think it's cool and I want it to work but I get lost in all the screen noise happening in Elysium and die. It's much harder than lobbing grenades or throwing an all skewering super spear at things.

Is there a recommended fun build to shoot for with the sword? I'm using the crit chance after you special attack version. I just find I don't have the same control over what's happening and that I get wrecked hard even with high hp and weak on my aoe.

FWIW the hidden aspect for the sword plays quite differently than the base forms. Personally it’s my preferred aspect and I’d recommend you try it out as soon as you’re able.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

The trap one may as well be a free choice for example

Don't the ceiling blades in Styx do like 150 damage with Heightened Security turned on? And like others have mentioned, the pots against the final boss are considered traps. IMO it should be worth more than 1 heat

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Infinite Karma posted:

I just beat Charon with Chiron bow and Artemis on special + hammer (that's it, room 4), without even losing half a lifebar, I guess this bow is pretty good.

It’s the safest weapon in the game and allows you to focus almost entirely on dodging. It’s great. I like to set up a damage-over-time build with it, with Doom on the priming attack and Hangover on the special. Hit an enemy in the room with one volley, then move on to one after another in sequence. If you can get the Dionysus boom that gives you a major global damage boost when you have 3+ enemies Hangover’d, things can get really crazy.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
When the big chariots are speeding towards you, they’re just using a tamer version of the Minotaur’s charge. You want to put a solid object or chasm between you and them, which will force them to come to a complete stop once they hit it and wander confused for a bit. Use that opportunity to slay them.

The little chariots are similar, but once they speed into an object they blow up on their own.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Dropping Skelly in a corner in the last phase is a very good use of the trinket. Wait for the boss to finish a laser flurry and you'll usually end up with 10+ seconds to go hard while he's busy. You'll still have to dodge the spin attacks and you'll want to try to avoid killing Skelly yourself, but it generally works out to more net damage than the other trinkets could provide.

I honestly think that Athena's Call lasts a bit too long. In my last Extreme Measures kill I alternated a full Call for 18s of invulnerability, followed by Skelly, followed by a couple bars of mini-Call power to essentially skip Phase 3.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Friday Deimos posted:

I'm assuming its worth starting over if my save's from Early Access if it doesn't just force me to outright?

I didn't, but a lot of people have. Your discretion

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So apparently with Extreme Measures 4 active, Dad can summon two Doomstones at once. And with +60% Jury Duty active, each one summons a LOT of little Fracture babies in turn. They're actually not super dangerous, but seeing them immediately swarm the screen was jarring enough to make me drop my guard and eat a full combo to the face:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

No Wave posted:

On anvils I think it's actually fairly safe on fists. If you're ok with serrated point spear is somewhat safe. Shield's pretty ok as well if you are fine with the bull rush projectile.

Bow and rail are pretty volatile with the range/charge modifiers and sword has cursed slash so I'd avoid those.

Last time I used the anvil, I had a fast-attack fist build that had Zeus sparks on attack. The anvil reroll gave me a slow 3-swing combo that crippled my DPS. Caveat emptor.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Calidus posted:

Arthur + Shadow Slash + Crit is my jam

Yeah, it's kind of disgusting. Throw in the Athena Expose debuff and a Chaos +backstab bonus and you can get crits in the 2500-3000 range

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
B E A R S

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

BrianWilly posted:

I've never beaten EM4 without using Death Defiances before but Lightning Rod and a decked out Zeus just about breaks everything in half.

Holy poo poo, that Chaos UI skin is Lovecraftian as hell. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Enjoying the sword the most. What boons are good with it? Only unlocked the spear and bow so far and the sword seems way better than both. Tho the spear has potential

Baseline bow is boring, but its alternate forms each get really loving good with the blood upgrades and the right boons